[mod] minimax [AP] better performance & playability while keeping atmosphere

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Schabernack

[mod] minimax [AP] better performance & playability while keeping atmosphere

Post by Schabernack » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 16:59

######################################################
Minimax merges several mods for performance gain, playability and atmospheric depth.
There maybe newer versions of some of the included mods out there, check the links below.
Still all included here seem to be AP 2.0 compatible and are tested
If you got any issues please let me know.
Also please let me know if all works with AP 2.5.1,
as i don't have the latest patche installed there is some uncertainty.

All credits go to the original authors, mostly i am just mixing things together.
As far as i am concerned this can be used in other mods, but better check with the original authors first.
minimax by Schabernack aka kinngrimm(if anyone plays M&B crpg mod :twisted: )

download
For installation change minimax.cat & .dat to latest (fakepatch number).cat & .dat
or put it into the mod folder and load it as mod.

mods merged are:

Lower Poly Asteroids: Less Fat, More FPS (v2.04) by halo112358
This mod replaces astros with a lower poly version of a former x game, this mod was
introduced with x3 Reunion and is still working nicely

No Ring Gate Mod 1.2 by cattafett
This removes any collisions with gates and i like also the simplistic look of it.

No Fog by min 480km by Projekt2501 and Marodeur
This get rid of the most annoying fogs, still there are some systems in it where fog is displayed as far as i noticed, but then it is
not really troubling. I made a compromise for playability here and decided against a lesser max range of sight, so it is minimum 480 km or
whatever higher distance is set by default. Other versions you can download in the link above.

X3-Unleashed by Jaga_Telesin
large performance enhancer, it works heavily on the jobs file. Luckily i stumbled over it while looking for a replacement
of the No taxis mod of x3 Reunion. I very much like the compromise of not taking out everything but the attempt to keep some for atmosphere.
Also Traders have been reduced, but their frequency of making trades is increased so there is no real impact on the economy.

No add signs by Killjaeden
As the add signs play vids and cost a few fps and also i just hate adds in reallife, this is also a mod of principles for me ^^
For this to work in AP, i needed to change the directory structure thanks to Illuminatus who gave me the tip to do so, it works now.

No floating icons by Grax
This was originally to get rid of the very large TC floating station icons.

As i just don't like to see within sector space, icons of ships, stations or other floating/flying stuff.
I intended to remove those without changes to sector map.

At the time i compared them, so i believe the latest version, IconDat from addon/types out of the addon/01.cat,
i noticed several changes which weren't included in the "no floating mods" IconData file,
therefor i believe it is outdated and i included the icon changes into a copy from the 01.cat/addon/types/IconData.
While the changes to the quest icons work as intended, the same changes to ICON_TRG_SOMETHING do erase
not only the in sector space ICONs but also those within the sector map :(
To find a suitable solution goes over my abilities for now,
but perhaps you guys can point me into the right direction.

That then i would love to use in combination with the detector script of Bullwinkel.

Also what i still quite don't get, while there are job files within AP/addon/01.cat/addon/types/ why i wouldn't need to make the same structure for most of the other files to work like AP/addon/03.cat/addon/... =>03.cat=minimax.cat, like for IconData file
note to myself *read forum tut on directory structure*
#################################################

Please let me know of any issues you may come accross
and formost if there are any other mods/scripts i may have missed which
a) increase performance
b) increase atmosphere while not decreasing performance
c) mods that solve technical issues like the Hub Fix,
which was told is solved in a later TC patch and also in AP

#################################################

this mod is compatible with most other mods as long those don't change the following files:

Code: Select all

##changed through "low poly asteroids"
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_A_ClassMine.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_B_ClassMine.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_C_ClassOne.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_D_ClassOne.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_E_ClassOne.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_F_ClassTwo.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_G_ClassTwo.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_H_ClassTwo.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_I_ClassThree.bod
objects\environments\asteroids\asteroid_J_ClassCollect.bod

##changed through "No Ring Gate"
fx_gatewhirl.dds
objects\others\argon_gate.bod
objects\others\argon_gate_effect.bod
objects\others\terraformer_gate.bod
objects\others\terran_catapult_gate.bod
objects\patch20\argon_inactivegate.bod
objects\patch20\terran_gate.bod
objects\patch20\terran_gate_construction.bod

##changed through "No Fog"
types\TBackgrounds.txt

##changed through "X3-Unleashed"
types\Jobs.txt
types\JobWings.txt

## changed through "no add sings"
objects\others\argon_adsign_A.bod
objects\others\argon_adsign_B.bod
objects\others\argon_adsign_C.bod
objects\others\argon_adsign_D.bod

##changed through "no floating icons"
addon\types\IconData.txt
be aware through changes to TBackgrounds.txt, Jobs.txt, JobWings.txt and IconData.txt your game gets ***modified***,
if you would care about that then don't use this mod,
instead go to the links of the single mods which wont make these changes and install those only, one by one

possible additions

- ResizedAldrinBigRock
- tcm or more performant complex tubes or Litcube's Saturn Complex Hub
- Gate Hub Fix 3.1(i have read somehwere this would be in the official patch included, can that be confirmed and also the patch version number?)
- minimal war(if this would make a major fps difference and also there wouldn't be only one sector with war, but say 2-4(or option to configure) and overall i need first to play AP more before i can decide for myself if this is something really needed), damn can't find the link anymore
- Holy Asteroids Mod | waiting for forum response regarding performance question
- [MOD] SS_T's X3TC Performance upgrade | not sure about the impact

i use minimax so far together with

installed with pluginmanger:
+ NPC Bailing Addon v1.7.8 | working
+ Salvage Claim Software v1.21 | testing
+ Salvage Insurance Contract v1.00 | working
+ Marine Repairs v2.01 | working
+ Universal Cargo Transfer v2.01 | testing
+ Universe Explorers v2.5b | working | Link?
+ Satelite Early Warning System v1.22 | working
+ Turbo Booster v1.10 | testing
+ Improved Boarding 1.23.01 by Bullwinkel | testing
+ Upgrade Kits 1.6.07 by Bullwinkel | testing
+ [MOD] SS_T's X3TC Performance upgrade | testing, not sure about the impact

manualy installed:
+ numeric ranks | working | link?
+ Pure hud | working
+ Turret On/Off | testing
+ MK 3 opt 1.8.9 | testing

testing, basicly means i didn't yet try out the functions or not all of them
working, everything works as supposed to
those which didn't work are already sorted out =)
and then there are a lot of more which i haven't yet installed ^^ or are not going to as their are not to my liking or unbalanced, because they would make the game too easy

#######################################################
tools i used
X3 Editor 2/cat manager for packaging, notepad++ and winmerge for textfiles, plugin manager for controll what i got installed
how to create a spk file i'll make one, but
i got the 1.47 light version and not i'm sure if i am just too dump, but all those neat tutorials about the plugin manager
wont help as i have not even seen the descriped options in my version of the plugin manager, i start it as advanced, but there "are no/can't find" options for the packing.
#########################################################

todos:

- check if all permissions are granted through forum page or ask permissions by pm, possibly then a download link with less mods included
- compare every txt file with winmerge to the originals(only IconData sofar)
- include missing forum links and authors

################

sitenote:
i don't have always internet ^^, so it can take a few days till i can respond onto any requests or questions.
Last edited by Schabernack on Sat, 1. Sep 12, 13:46, edited 9 times in total.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future
tc-ap minimax

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 17:39

Schabernack wrote:No Ring Gate Mod 1.1 by ?
This removes any collisions with gates and i like also the simplistic look of it.
you may want to use the 1.2 version as 1.1 can mess up a plot that uses unconnected gates (TC - Aldrin Plot)

while i'm not a question mark i'll let it go as when i was at school
instead of writing my name on the wall/desk i would add two triangles
as ears and six lines as whiskers to a ? to make what i thought looked like a cat
catta
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 19:09

thanks cattafett for the version pointer. I updated the link and included your name. Update to minimax should follow later this evening or within tommorow.

Also as i got your attention here already cattafett :roll: i hereby ask for permission to use your mod within minimax. I am overly correct with this as i shortly before read the forum rules on these things and don't intend to break them and get kicked out of the circle when i just started being of some small use :oops:

EDIT: Updated the other authors
tc-ap minimax

cattafett
x3tc

Post by cattafett » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 21:22

3rd Party Permissions Index

i'm was pretty sure i was(i wasn't) in this list, the first place to go when you want to borrow :pirat: someones work

to be honest you should check first before puting stuff out
so half expect LV to forcegrip someting
those UFOs you hear about are just what you tried to explaine to me going over my head
Advanced Complex-Hub you know you need it Catta Fett's D.O.G.S Vanilla safe mod collectionyou don't need them but you want them
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Sat, 1. Sep 12, 12:41

after downloading again your mod cattafett, i realised that that version is already included. I guess the version numbers got mixed up when i copied it out of your readme which states still 1.1 and when extracting into a new folder the .7 at the end is lost automaticly. Also as you edited your mod post last in june i am sure i got the correct version. Thanks anyways.
to be honest you should check first before puting stuff out
so half expect LV to forcegrip someting
tbh as this is my first contribution and there is a shitload of stuff to concider, my internet wasn't there for a week and i posted it from another place and as i already included credits and made clear that i will check up on that issue over time that people would understand and not make a big deal out of it, not saying you were, just saying i try. The link though really helped for future reference, as i am reading my way through the scripting handbook :) got my first hello world script up and running, but still need some more input and perhaps another development environment the ingame script editor is nice but perhaps there are others too, will look for the egosoft out of game dev kit.
tc-ap minimax

Apothecarian
x4

Post by Apothecarian » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 07:43

Rather than wasting my time if the answer is known, does anyone know if this mod works with XRM and AP 2.5 whatever patch (latest one from steam)? If no one knows, then i guess i am going to be testing it tomorrow...

ptb_ptb

Re: [mod] minimax [AP] better performance & playability while keeping atmosphere

Post by ptb_ptb » Sun, 11. Nov 12, 15:53

Schabernack wrote:Lower Poly Asteroids: Less Fat, More FPS (v2.04) by halo112358
This mod replaces astros with a lower poly version of a former x game, this mod was
introduced with x3 Reunion and is still working nicely
Might I ask which version of that mod did you merge into Minmax?
[EDIT] Nevermind, it's in the readme. (D'oh)

I'm not real fussy about graphic quality, but I found some asteroids had some rather odd jagged artifacts when I used Minmax. (If you're interested, I'll see if I can get some pics).

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 5. May 13, 12:31

Schabernack is the Unleashed part of this working correctly with AP 2.5.3 ?

I just wonder because I still see civilians around occasionally ( but that may be because they have not had time to be cleared by the scripting )

Everything else is working fine, I have Low poly roids, No Ad signs, No Ring Gates .. etc working so I have no doubt the installation is correct.

------------------------------------------------

Anyway, another one for your consideration - Model Performance Update

Lucike is hosting them, with permission from Fire Giant

So whether you would also be able to get permission from Fire Giant or not to include them with minimax I do not know forum topic here .. And I think Lucike would need to be contacted ( though not sure, I get the feeling not being a native speaker over there that Fire Giant did the model work, and Lucike put them into a mod )

But at least linking them here willl make more people aware of them needing more performance tweaks to the game.

Prerequisites: X ³ Terran Conflict Version 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.2 Prerequisite: X ³: Albion Prelude Version 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.5 or 2.5.1

( Unless any ship models changed between AP 2.5.1 to 2.5.3 I believe these are still compatible at the moment )

Description ( rough google translate )
The type of ship machete Terran is a good example explanation for this modification. When assembling the machete by the developer superfluous parts of the ship were not removed. Thus, each Machete must be calculated in orbit with 2.5x graphics performance. Many other hunters that are often used in large numbers, were optimized and reduced the polygons. Although this reduces the level of detail that is hard not to see the game up. following ship models has been optimized and redesigned:

Argon Eclipse
Argon Notos
Argon Nova attacker
ATF Fenrir
ATF Thor
OTAS Venti
Paranid Medusa (+ prototype)
Pirates Deathclaw (+ prototype)
Teladi Falcon defender
Teladi Kea (+ Extended Version)
Terraformer CPU ship
Terran Spitfyre
USC Claymore
USC Machete
USC Scimitar
Xenon L
Xenon M
Xenon N
Xenon LX

Info: The changes were models of fire giant performed. Thank you for the work and permission to use.
------------------------------------

Edit : And a tip for performance - Window mode, I asked recently how to use the new Res.dat file for those of us with the original DVD retail version of X3TC ( the Res.dat file does not get made automatically with manually patching the game up to date ) ..

Have a read of this topic

Now you can add your own resolutions, but do not go lower than 1024;640; ( some menus / UI will not fit on screen on lower resolutions )

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Sat, 3. Aug 13, 20:49

hi guys haven't bee naround for a while but will do some more X in due time and hopefully then also get some more modding done =)

Apothecarian wrote:Rather than wasting my time if the answer is known, ... this mod works with XRM and AP 2.5 ...
not sure about XRM. I did though test it with AP 2.5.1 and there it worked
ptb_ptb wrote:
Schabernack wrote: ...
, but I found some asteroids had some rather odd jagged artifacts when I used Minmax. (If you're interested, I'll see if I can get some pics).
yes please let me see, it maybe a feature though =)
alt3rn1ty wrote:Schabernack is the Unleashed part of this working correctly with AP 2.5.3 ?

I just wonder because I still see civilians around occasionally ( but that may be because they have not had time to be cleared by the scripting )
as far as i know and can say it does. If i read the description of "unleashed correctly, it doesnt compelttly remove all taxis and stuff but just decreases their accurance. He has done quite a study about the CPU time used up and seems to have found a good compromise. check the link in the description for more information
alt3rn1ty wrote: ...

Anyway, another one for your consideration - Model Performance Update
thanks mate, i will cehck it out next time i get my X feaver :)
tc-ap minimax

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 4. Aug 13, 03:22

ehm, you might have a bit more catching up to do now AP is at v3.1 :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”