[MINI-MOD] Resized Aldrin Big Rock

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

someone else
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun, 18. Jun 06, 13:37

[MINI-MOD] Resized Aldrin Big Rock

Post by someone else » Fri, 29. May 09, 13:07

ever been annoyed by that OMG WTF BIG rock in Aldrin?
ever wanted to crush that big object that transforms any Autopilot manouver in a Rodeo?

this is the solution!
Image


Outdated links:
cat/dat version
.spk (Plugin Manager) version



what have I done? I resized the model of the Aldrin's Big Rock to have it about half Vanilla size.
<<<2.1 compatible>>>

<<<Completely compatible with other Mods>>>
(unless they change something to the Aldrin's Big Rock)

Installing:
Extract the cat/dat and place in your TC game folder. Rename these files to be in the highest numbered position. i.e. if you already have a number 08 cat/dat then you will need to name them 09.

if you choose the .spk version just double click on it and the Plugin Manager will do the rest.

I know it is not a big mod but I hope some of you will find it useful. :D


Edit: Added alternative xdownloads download link. X2-Illuminatus
Last edited by someone else on Fri, 24. Jul 09, 18:20, edited 4 times in total.
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

User avatar
Gazz
Posts: 12423
Joined: Fri, 13. Jan 06, 17:39

Post by Gazz » Fri, 29. May 09, 13:19

I see you left it a .bob and did not wrap it up as a compressed .pbb

Yer sure this won't mess with the loading hierarchy?
Oh, it may work, I'm just saying that it would be safer to use the exact same extension as the "original" in the CAT.

Other than that - good job. Good riddance.
Last edited by Gazz on Fri, 29. May 09, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

someone else
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun, 18. Jun 06, 13:37

Post by someone else » Fri, 29. May 09, 13:24

boh... I started the game with this mod installed and Aldrin Big Rock works as intended, didn't knew that repacking was necessary.
I'll repack and compress it... :D
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

sstbrg
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon, 11. May 09, 06:37

Post by sstbrg » Fri, 29. May 09, 13:52

This is awesome. Thanks a lot :D

User avatar
chaosras
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu, 28. Oct 04, 18:50

Post by chaosras » Fri, 29. May 09, 20:32

*Question removed as I found the answer

WarChicken
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon, 20. Mar 06, 21:19

Post by WarChicken » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 08:45

Small question:
Will that improve the Framerate in Aldrin?

someone else
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun, 18. Jun 06, 13:37

Post by someone else » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 11:28

yes, but the framerate is still eaten by the bigness of the sector.

in any case try it, if you don't like it just trash it, no incompatibilities.

drop a post here to report your results in case you try.

EDIT: Gazz is right, if you are IS the big rock wreacks havoc with autopilot, now the autopilot works as usual.
Last edited by someone else on Sat, 13. Jun 09, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

User avatar
Gazz
Posts: 12423
Joined: Fri, 13. Jan 06, 17:39

Post by Gazz » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 11:57

The big benefit is not just the framerate.
It's that ships can not navigate in this sector with such a huge object present.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Skite
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu, 21. Dec 06, 21:19

Post by Skite » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 13:22

someone else wrote: EDIT: Gazz is right, if you are IS the big rock wreacks havoc with autopilot, now the autopilot works as usual.
You must mean instead of dwarf monkeys flying your ship when you activate autopilot, gorilla's are flying your ship when you activate autopilot, right?

WarChicken
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon, 20. Mar 06, 21:19

Post by WarChicken » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 14:47

No, it's more like psychopathic chimpanzees on speed...

I'll give it a try the next days and post if the Framerate got better.

someone else
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sun, 18. Jun 06, 13:37

Post by someone else » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 14:56

:lol: Autipillok... yeah, returns stupid as usual...
without the rock you'll have the usual 70% chance of docking and 20% chance of splatting somewhere and 10% chance of it getting stuck and freeze/move randomly

but at least you would no more have a rough ride as before.

waiting your results friend... :D

p.s. I was planning of putting in a Sun.... there is a Frikkin' load of space for it but all the suns did not show properly... any ideas?
Trade, Fight, Build, Think, Modify.
Ship Rebalance Mod
OOS Rebalance
Resized Aldrin Big Rock
SIDE/TOP/FRONT Ship Size Comparison
Remember young Padawan: money stolen can be, time cannot.

User avatar
TilronJH
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu, 10. May 07, 20:57

Post by TilronJH » Sat, 13. Jun 09, 18:04

greetings,

well, as I understand Aldrin, there should be a standard earth like planet and not that dead rock anyway.

so how about such a planet? I would even like one 1/3 the size of that rock.

Tilton
Luat eienr Stduie der Cambrdige Uinevrstiät speilt es kenie Rlloe in welcehr Reiehnfogle die Buhcstbaen in eniem Wrot vorkmomen, die eingzie whictige Sahce ist, dsas der ertse und der lettze Buhcstbae stmimt. Der Rset knan ein vlilöges Duchrienanedr sein und knan trtozedm prboelmols gelseen wreden, weil das menchsilche Ague nicht jeedn Buhcstbaen liset.

sabrehawk
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu, 27. Dec 07, 20:49

Post by sabrehawk » Fri, 19. Jun 09, 12:34

i most certainly dont understand how ES could pass this crap system to the fans. Its so ugly, the Rock kills autopilot and its also a FPS killer. The whole system looks like slobbed together in 2 hours with no usability checks.

(not to mention the economy problems...the ridiculous system size etc etc)

I mean *** a 130 ms baldric needs to traverse like 300 km to reach a station ? and with the rock its even like 3x times as much? LAWL.

Shame...i just had to vent off about this ..bugged me since the first minute i entered that system. Thanks even more for this removal .

User avatar
Predator02
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat, 28. Jul 07, 00:05

Post by Predator02 » Fri, 19. Jun 09, 21:15

I can see what they were going for, finally a system that had stuff to do on all sides of a central "planet" but autopilot and the distances kind of ruined it.
Specs
Cpu: Duel Core Intel Wolfdale 8500 3.15 ghz
Motherboard: MSI P45 Platinum
4 Gigs Ram
Sound: X-Fi Music
Video: 8800 GTS (G92)
Win7 x64 Ultimate

User avatar
Erius
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun, 23. Jul 06, 02:11

Post by Erius » Fri, 19. Jun 09, 22:52

Well the sector is so big because isn't it supposed to represent their lack of acceleration gate technology? Hence why the Aldrin ships are so damn fast so they can get between them, so of course flying a commonwealth or Terran ship through Aldrin is going to take a while. But on the matter of the big rock, I remember when I entered the sector I was like "WTF is that, where do they live?"
Erius

Post Reply

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”