NEWS: Forum Update week of Sept 24th-28th, Downtimes

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:03

Phase 1 is now in progress and edits to existing posts will not be carried over to the new forum.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 20:15

BurnIt! wrote:Phase 1 is now in progress and edits to existing posts will not be carried over to the new forum.
So, phase 2 will only import new posts, but not edits?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 21:15

I'm sure it means that edits to existing posts made on the old system after the time that the forum data was copied and carried across into the new one (Phase 1) will not feature on the new system.

I'm assuming that by then any new posts on the old system will only be transferred later on in Phase 2 if they are time-stamped after the copy period.

Obviously edits to posts will work again once we all have access to the new system. That's how it would make sense to me anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 22:56

Yes, that's what I meant :) I guess searching for edits done after Phase 1 would be too time consuming and it wouldn't have many benefits anyway.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 23:26

Good to hear Ego!! Give us a brand new forum, a brand new website and a brand new game!!!

Keep up the good work :D 8) :!:
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: NEWS: Forum Update week of Sept 24th-28th, Downtimes

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 00:18

BurnIt! wrote:It's finally happening - we are upgrading our forum software to the latest version!...
As was foretold in the ancient scrolls...

I have thirty days of food and water stored and enough ammo to rigorously defend my position or to go on the offensive, if needed. I should be fine unless the worst happens and the full fury of the Apockyclipse is unleashed. Then, may the powers that be help us all.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 04:53

Congrats in the new site softare Egosoft!
(Wild Guess)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Wed, 26. Sep 18, 10:04

Best of luck with the conversion, I hope it goes smoothly. :thumb_up:

Earlier in the year, I went through the process of importing a phpbb2 forum to a newer version phpbb3.2.2 but it didn't all succeed. The forum layout copied over, smilies and attachments did, but only post headers copied over. No users or post contents copied over. I deleted the posts and set it up as a new forum in the end. I thought it was due to all the forum hacks/modifications I've added over the years. I've still left the phpbb2 forum working while it can for the moment. I've updated the new one to 3.2.3 and I've heard that addresses some issues with importing from old versions of phpbb so I may try again to convert the old one.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Player
x4

Post by Player » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 13:26

The forum is great! And beautiful. Congratulations

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 13:44

Very nice! I'll miss the old forums a little but man this one looks so much better. And much more readable on mobile as well as desktop. Nice :))

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 13:49

I ask everyone to behave for a short time while I find where all the admin gubbins moved to.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

peritor
x4

Post by peritor » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 14:19

I got page load times of >1min...

Edit: Nvm. Seems better now. (<5sec)
Last edited by peritor on Thu, 27. Sep 18, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 14:42

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 13:49
I ask everyone to behave for a short time while I find where all the admin gubbins moved to.
It is a lot different to the phpbb2 ACP. :wink:

The forums looking good so far.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 14:47

Hey looking good with the update :)

Only issue I have seen so far is when I first tried to login from the logon link on the News page, https://www.egosoft.com/community/news_en.php I received an error "Page not found". I had to actually navigate into the sub-forums before the alternate log in link would work.
Admiral of the Fleet.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 15:55

I guess I like the look, though the dark yellow headers are a little hard to read against the black.
Just... another... bug.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 16:25

There's another forum style you can select in your profile, DaMuncha, which has dark blue headers on a white background--you may prefer it (I certainly do). Only problem is that it'll only switch to that style when you log in, you get amber screen up until that point.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 16:26

DaMuncha wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 15:55
I guess I like the look, though the dark yellow headers are a little hard to read against the black.
Can I change the colors of the forum? When I was unlogged it was black-yellow, and when I logged in it changed to white-blue.

Edit: NVM, I found it.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 16:52

I guess I'm going to be "that" guy... What's the purpose of highlighting the background under the mouse in topic list, if clicking it doesn't do anything? I mean, you still need to mouse over to actual topic name, which will have it's own emphasis when mouse is over it, so... why?

Disclaimer: highlighting implies interaction. There's no interaction capability at the moment for that particular case.

AkrionXxarr
x4

Post by AkrionXxarr » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 17:10

Nice! Lookin' good guys!
radcapricorn wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 16:52
I guess I'm going to be "that" guy... What's the purpose of highlighting the background under the mouse in topic list, if clicking it doesn't do anything? I mean, you still need to mouse over to actual topic name, which will have it's own emphasis when mouse is over it, so... why?

Disclaimer: highlighting implies interaction. There's no interaction capability at the moment for that particular case.
Well one thing, at the very least, that the highlighting does is allow you to easily connect the left-hand-side data to the right-hand-side data without your eyes accidentally going up or down a row if there happens to be a large gap between them. Useful if you're running your browser as a full screen. Personally I didn't get the impression from the highlighting that it was intended to be interacted with, but I can see how someone would. I like it, regardless of whether I can click it, but it could still be an interesting thing to explore.
Technical Support:
DirectX Diagnostics -- Vulkan Info

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 19:54

radcapricorn wrote:
Thu, 27. Sep 18, 16:52

Fair enough, we'll take that feedback under advisement. Thanks!
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

Return to “X4: Foundations”