How to remove the "MODIFIED" tag

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 22:34

Nobody has ever really questioned their POINT. Just their method of implementing it. :)

Creston

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 22:38

Hiroshima wrote:
Modified universe versus original game
Starting from version 1.3 X2 has two modes of running. It can be started either in
modified or unmodified mode. An unmodified game is one which uses only the files
distributed by egosoft without any self written scripts, modified types or universe data.
A modified universe game can be started "modified" from the start (e.g by using game
mods) or a normal "real" game can be turned into a modified one (e.g if you activate
the script editor and import unsigned scripts.
You may ask why this procedure is necessary?
The reason for the difference between unmodified games and modified games is that
many people want to play X2 for an incredible long time. Part of the motivation for
playing a game such a long time would be lost once they know that it is very easy to
cheat. But in a modified universe, it is unfortunately very easy to cheat yourself
everything. So with this approach we want to give you the best of both worlds. On the
one hand you can create your own games and manipulate every aspect of X2, but on
the other hand people playing an unmodified X2 can still tell the difference and can
enjoy the cozy feeling that they are spending their time earning real X2 credits ;)
LOL they do have a nice point though ........... oh well :roll: :twisted:
That whole quote is flawed....My game is modified and all I run is the Official MKIII trader, 3.5 Station Acountant(all this does is transfer money from your factories to your account and vise vera) and the SEWS Datalink(Satellite Early warning system which scans for khaak intrusions and sends a message to you...needs to be bought and then it's 2000 for each sat hooked to it) in no way are these enabling me to get "Easy X2 Credits" so even though my game is classed as modified it's not really modified and as such everything I have earned in game is as valid as anyone who has an Unmodified game.
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

XBTF>XT>X2TT>X3R>X3TC>X3AP>X4F

I lurk alot for the most part now
:thumb_up:

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 22:55

Argonaught. wrote: That whole quote is flawed....My game is modified and all I run is the Official MKIII trader, 3.5 Station Acountant(all this does is transfer money from your factories to your account and vise vera) and the SEWS Datalink(Satellite Early warning system which scans for khaak intrusions and sends a message to you...needs to be bought and then it's 2000 for each sat hooked to it) in no way are these enabling me to get "Easy X2 Credits" so even though my game is classed as modified it's not really modified and as such everything I have earned in game is as valid as anyone who has an Unmodified game.
Amen.

Btw, why do people keep saying you need to BUY the ASEWS script? It just runs?
In my opinion, anything to help you be a LITTLE LESS annoyed by the Gnat Invasion that is the Khaak is fair game. :)

Creston

twistedtech
x3tc

Post by twistedtech » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 22:59

Storm_Front . . . .That sector has a nice ring to it. . . . :thumb_up: :thumb_up: Thanks for saving me the trouble of hunting it down myself 8)
Try not to let your mind wander... It is too small to be out by itself.

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 23:05

Creston wrote:
Argonaught. wrote: That whole quote is flawed....My game is modified and all I run is the Official MKIII trader, 3.5 Station Acountant(all this does is transfer money from your factories to your account and vise vera) and the SEWS Datalink(Satellite Early warning system which scans for khaak intrusions and sends a message to you...needs to be bought and then it's 2000 for each sat hooked to it) in no way are these enabling me to get "Easy X2 Credits" so even though my game is classed as modified it's not really modified and as such everything I have earned in game is as valid as anyone who has an Unmodified game.
Amen.

Btw, why do people keep saying you need to BUY the ASEWS script? It just runs?
In my opinion, anything to help you be a LITTLE LESS annoyed by the Gnat Invasion that is the Khaak is fair game. :)

Creston
The ASEWS looks to be an older version of SEWS Datalink which needs to be bought and it's then 2000cr for each satellite hooked to it....The satellites should have worked this way from day one or as soon as deployed but wasn't...don't know why that was missed.
[MOD]X3TC No Fog / [MOD]X3AP No Fog / [MD]X3TC Menagerie Shipyard / [MD]X3AP Menagerie Shipyard
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 23:15

Ahh, that makes sense then. I'll go get that new version. Does it also eliminate that popup when a Khaak is detected?

Creston

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 23:35

Creston wrote:Ahh, that makes sense then. I'll go get that new version. Does it also eliminate that popup when a Khaak is detected?

Creston
What popup is that? SEWS Datalink gives an audible alert once and theres a message left in your messages log...no popups that I've seen.
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 00:00

The ASEWS just drops a whole screen right in your face, like an incoming message window. Pretty annoying, believe me, especially when you're just squaring up a big Khaak cluster with your BPSGs, and the damn window shows up after you fire the first shot. (And it ALWAYS does, since instead of one it then detects 22 Khaak.)

I'm going to give your SEWS thing a try.

Creston

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 00:34

The updated one is better...no big popup window just adible alert...you only see the message when you go into the message logs to see which sector it's in.
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

DeeCee
x2

Post by DeeCee » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 02:04

Useful thread...
Go on Mods, make it a sticky.

If you dare :)
Dee Cee

Howlingmad
x3

Post by Howlingmad » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 02:50

Great work Storm_Front! :thumb_up:

Keep hacking away at the files, I know there is a game to beat all in every catagory, in them somewhere. :D
What no sig or avatar. I wonder why?:(

Storm_Front
x2

Post by Storm_Front » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 02:57

I think it's time to start making some new (bigger) galaxies. Galaxies without distracting banners in the corner. :D

Argonaught.
x4

Post by Argonaught. » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 03:12

I'd help but I can't mod or script yet...I'm a noob when it comes to proggy stuff :(
<==<<Argonaught>>==>

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 05:35

Do you have to repack the files before you can play?

A full step-by step would be very gratefully received :D
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Storm_Front
x2

Post by Storm_Front » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 07:29

esd wrote:Do you have to repack the files before you can play?

A full step-by step would be very gratefully received :D
Here you go, if you're just interested in removing the Modified tag, I just saw a thread here that describes how to do it without unpacking.
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33500

How to set up X2 for modding.
Compliments of Storm_Front
Boron Edition Ver.1

I use both Stone-D's tool and X2 modder. Why, because Stone-D's tool sometimes locks up on me when unpacking pck files, and X2 modder sometimes locks up when unpacking cat/dat's. So I use Stone-D's tool first on the cat/dat's and then X2 modder on the pck and pbd files. Got it.
Make sure the game is patched to the point you desire first.

Next, double click Stone-D's tool, then click utilities, click Unpack DAT--> find the 01, 02, 03.... files with the yellow ribbon around them in the x2- the threat folder, click 01, click open. The 01 file takes a little while to open, it's a big one. After it is opened open the others the same way.

Next, in the X2 folder (the one with the EXE) click view, click Arrange icons by-- type, this puts the folders at the top and makes the next job a little easier. Now you need to move the contents of the 01 data folder into the X2 folder, you will note that some of the folders in the 01 and X2 folders have the same name. In this case you need to move the contents of that folder from it's folder in the 01 folder to the folder by the same name in the X2 folder, overwriting when promted. For the folders in the 01 data folder that do not exist in the X2 folder, move them to the X2 folder. When the 01 data folder is emptied of all files, delete it.

Next, do the same thing for the 02 data folder then the 03 data folder.....until the contents of ALL the data folders have been moved into the X2 folder, overwriting when prompted. Delete the empty data folders. Create a new folder within X2 and label it "backup". Move the cat and dat files (4 of each in 1.3) to the backup folder. There are some IDX files that are created in the X2 folder when you unpack the cat/dats. Ignore them, it works for me.

At this point I recommend starting X2 and make sure the game works, (start a new game). If the game crashes, you probably made a mistake while combining the files. In this situation, there is no need to panic or reinstall. Unpack the cat/dats again and move the contents of the data folders into the X2 folder starting with 01 and working up. This time don't screw up. Assuming the game works, proceed.

If you wish to remove the MODIFIED tag from the screen when playing in a modded universe, now is a good time to do so. Visit the v folder and cut the file "10443.pbd" and paste it in your backup folder.

To mod ship's and other items in X2 you will need to unpack the appropriate file. The most common mods affect the pck files in the types folder and the x2_universe file in the maps folder. In the t folder the ##0001 file (depends on the language) is another file that gets modded somethimes.

For example: If you wish to mod ships you need to unpack the Tships.pck file in the types folder. To do this, double click X2 modder, in the tools tab click Decompress PCK, find the Tships file in the Enlight/X2-The Threat/types folder and click it, click open. This will create a Tships.txt file in the types folder. Make a copy of the Tships.txt file and move it and the Tships.pck file to your backup folder, leaving the Tships.txt file.

If you open the file and compare it with the Excel type charts in Storm_Fronts Mod Kit (now on sale) you should be able to figure out how to mod a ship. Each ship in the Tships.txt file ENDS with a series of letters, such as SS_SH_A_TL. The first ship listed, the Mammoth. Looking fo this will make it easier to find the ship you wish to mod.

Note: When looking for a ship, first find it in my chart, then go to the Tships.txt file. Why: The 5th ship in the Tships.txt file ends with SS_SH_A_M3. This is NOT the Argon Nova, this ship isn't in the game, modding it won't do you any good. The Nova is listed further down the page as SS_SH_A_M3A. Many of the ships are deceptively labeled. Other items can be modded such as lasers, rockets, bullets, factories, wares, shields, etc, etc.

Up through 1.3 the game does not require being "packed", you can play the game like this without problems. It make things easier for us frequent modders. If you desire to repack the game "Good Luck". I've never repacked a game. I don't think it's very complicated though.

This is not freeware or shareware, if you benefit from this tutorial please send me a dollar. If you find this tutorial confusing or are just incompetent, TOUGH. This makes sense to me, but I'm an American. Seriously, if you find an error or something that needs better explaining, contact me at the Ecosoft forum and I'll see what I can do, maybe.

Omegaalphaone
x2

Post by Omegaalphaone » Thu, 11. Mar 04, 13:08

Erm easy removal! just look here

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33500[/url]

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 14. Mar 04, 02:31

Just discovered a small glitch with using this technique. The tag reference is apparently saved in your savegame. If you load and save a savegame after patching but before removing the file from the v folder, your savegame won't load after removing 10443.pbd. You get a CTD. All version 1.2 savegames will still work. Just a heads up.

I just lost a bunch of captures because I can't stand that modified tag on my screen. :x :evil: :headbang:

EDIT: Using the no modified tag mod file fixes it. Yay!! :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”