Space Exploration

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fiskonian
x4

Space Exploration

Post by Fiskonian » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 18:55

So, if I understood this right...

Space lanes allow travel between sectors/whatnot.
You can drop out of space lanes whenever, minus the space highways.

Does this mean that you can fly from sector to sector without using space lanes? If so, that seems like it would take forever and also make this game huge!

Pirating could be super fun also. "Ho-Hum... another long trip to work on this space lane..." WHAM! "OH GOD WTF!1!!! Pirates just showed up out of nowhere on my space lane!"

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 19:13

Yup, I think so. And it does mention combat inside the highways, which could be VERY interesting...
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Gman12

Post by Gman12 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 08:58

The space highways connect the sectors, which are really solar systems. The fact that you can't drop out of highways that connect sectors makes me think that flaying between sectors is a no.

Thats what it looks like to me at least.

JumperBR
x2

Post by JumperBR » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 04:11

you cant drop from super-highways (between star-systems), but can drop from highways at will (intra-system).

Thats good enough for me. My question is how we get back to the highway after dropping?

Also, on a technical side... between sectors doesnt exist ingame, it will problably be like jumping to another sector as is today (the current sector is unloaded and the new sector is loaded into memory).
Mai ingrish iz gud?

T.S.Zatoichi
x3tc

Post by T.S.Zatoichi » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:55

JumperBR wrote:Also, on a technical side... between sectors doesnt exist ingame, it will problably be like jumping to another sector as is today (the current sector is unloaded and the new sector is loaded into memory).
Yep, that sounds about right.

One thing I'd like to know; just how big are the sectors? In order for the highway system to be really worthwhile they'd have to be larger than Terran sectors, much, much larger.

From what I've read Ego wanted to make Terran sectors like a whole solar system but because of limitations with the original game engine (code?) they couldn't do it. I'm really interested to see if they were able to put it in this time. What I mean is, can I start at the Sun and without leaving the sector, fly to Mars? Hell, I'll take just being able to go from a planet to it's moon(s).
"I'm shocked! Shocked to learn that there is gambling going on in here!"
"Your winnings, sir."
"Oh! Thank you very much."

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:02

T.S.Zatoichi wrote:One thing I'd like to know; just how big are the sectors? In order for the highway system to be really worthwhile they'd have to be larger than Terran sectors, much, much larger.
In terms of scale, I'm imagining that a single sector in Rebirth is equivalent to the entire Sol system in TC.
From what I've read Ego wanted to make Terran sectors like a whole solar system but because of limitations with the original game engine (code?) they couldn't do it. I'm really interested to see if they were able to put it in this time. What I mean is, can I start at the Sun and without leaving the sector, fly to Mars? Hell, I'll take just being able to go from a planet to it's moon(s).
That's what I was thinking.

Code: Select all

Cluster - Sol System
  Sector - Jupiter
    Zones - Jupiter Orbit
            Io
            Callisto
            Ganymede
  Sector - Mars
    Zones - Mars Orbit
            Phobos
            Deimos
  Sector - Earth
    Zones - Earth Orbit
            Moon
etc.
etc.
You wouldn't be able to get from Mars to Earth without using a highway, but you could fly straight from Earth to the Moon given enough time.
Last edited by A5PECT on Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:10

For some reason I don't like the name Space Highway, make me think of Freelancers trade lanes. A much better comparison would be to jet streams, owing to the ability to move in and out of them and move around in them.

Still, the system sounds allot better then that in all the current space games I've played, old X series included.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 12:15

I suppose highway is the most relatable term, since most people have experience with it in everyday life.

The only problem with the term jet stream is that not all of us are airline pilots.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 13:01

I wonder how will the highways look from the outside. Hope they wont be like large tubes stretching across the space :mrgreen:

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 14:09

Well I'm happy to see a replacement for SETA, many people were over using it to make money or other resources. And I like the idea of highways, but the name just don't fit to this world for me. They could name it as "acceleraton streams" or "superdrive streams" ... something that actualy fit into the space concept.
Probably this idea will make exploration way more harder, becose of the space available. If there will be actually something interesting to find then I'm all for it (travelling into the deepest corners of space, just to find a ship u can buy after an hour of playing a new game isn't exactly something I would be excited about :wink: ).
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 15:25

Xeroeth wrote:Well I'm happy to see a replacement for SETA, many people were over using it to make money or other resources. And I like the idea of highways, but the name just don't fit to this world for me. They could name it as "acceleraton streams" or "superdrive streams" ... something that actualy fit into the space concept.
Probably this idea will make exploration way more harder, becose of the space available. If there will be actually something interesting to find then I'm all for it (travelling into the deepest corners of space, just to find a ship u can buy after an hour of playing a new game isn't exactly something I would be excited about :wink: ).
Improved Hohmann Tranfer Orbit.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:18

Shootist wrote:
Xeroeth wrote:Well I'm happy to see a replacement for SETA, many people were over using it to make money or other resources. And I like the idea of highways, but the name just don't fit to this world for me. They could name it as "acceleraton streams" or "superdrive streams" ... something that actualy fit into the space concept.
Improved Hohmann Tranfer Orbit.
Yep, why not 8)
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:27

I wonder if there will be a "right lane" and a "left lane", where traffic in each lane is bound to go in one direction. Since the space highways will greatly magnify your speed, wouldn't that make all the more likely the chance of a extremely high speed head on collision is if wasn't segregated somehow?

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 17:43

That's the case here :) They said something about fights inside the highway, so I'm pretty sure there will be one main road with both directions. That opens many oportunities to block the highway or "cut off" the escape route of your target, that's pretty interesting feature if you ask me.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:12

JumperBR wrote:you cant drop from super-highways (between star-systems), but can drop from highways at will (intra-system).

Thats good enough for me. My question is how we get back to the highway after dropping?

Also, on a technical side... between sectors doesnt exist ingame, it will problably be like jumping to another sector as is today (the current sector is unloaded and the new sector is loaded into memory).
i beleive you can just simply join again where you left.

in another thread, Bernd said you can join in the middle of them, so not like freelancer where you have to enter either end

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:20

Cycrow wrote:In another thread, Bernd said you can join in the middle of them, so not like freelancer where you have to enter either end
In Freelancer you could exit the trade lanes at any point you wished by clicking the free-flight button. For entering them you needed to access the trade lane hardware that was spaced out every 8km along the route.

The local highways in XR seem to be functioning the exact same way.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:22

Uh, you can enter and exit at any point (well, at a "ring" for entry) of a tradelane in Freelancer.
EDit : too late
Right on commander !

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:22

cmdnenad wrote:I wonder how will the highways look from the outside. Hope they wont be like large tubes stretching across the space :mrgreen:
They are
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

The Cuban Nightmare
x3

Post by The Cuban Nightmare » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:38

Um in freelancer you could join anywhere there was a lane. That means you could jump in at the halfway point. I am still going to call em trade lanes though, sounds better. Now if only there were a cruise drive...
I'm your worst nightmare....

Apocalypse Incorporated; destroying a planet near you!

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:28

Ehh?
In freelancer you can join/"dock" at any rings on the way not just both ends
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”