[TOOL] Mod ID number generator

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Observe
xr

[TOOL] Mod ID number generator

Post by Observe » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:44

I have created a page that auto-obtains an ID number for your mod. The number given is used in your mod content.xml file.

Please let me know if this works or if you have other ideas. Hopefully this will serve the purpose for the time being.

Page is here.

stk25
x3ap

Post by stk25 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:54

Nice work, as far as I know ID's don't have to be numbers though, I've seen a few mods using letters and they worked fine. Maybe a convention should be made instead e.g. <authorname>-<mod initials>
Last edited by stk25 on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 02:01

i like to use the shortened Name of the Mod and use the same as Archive/Folder Name, because if the game doesnt find any content.xml it will fall back to this one it seems
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 02:05

Those are both good ideas. Probably people can just use their own naming convention and it'll work out fine in most cases.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:15

The thing is that we eventually will need ID numbers anyway since we need to make sure no two mods use the same text id. This is not much of a problem now since there aren't that many but it's better to start early with this.

Observe, maybe you could add a notice for that to the generator? We'll have to skip some numbers so Egosoft has enough space to add their own text ids, thus I'd say we start with 1001 or something like that. :)

EDIT: There's apparently already the first problems: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 15#4217815

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:21

Use modder's name and a short tag and you never have an issue?

Or would that be too easy? =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SxDerp

Post by SxDerp » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 20:36

Gazz wrote:Use modder's name and a short tag and you never have an issue?

Or would that be too easy? =)
The all-knowing Gazz, too much for our simple brains.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”