YAMT - Yet Another Multiplayer Topic

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gigaros

YAMT - Yet Another Multiplayer Topic

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:40

Before we start this isn't another thread wining about the lack of multiplayer in the X series of games, this is more of a discussion.

Also this is my first post so a little about me first...

I've not tried modding with X as of yet, played X2 a fair bit though, I've been making games as part of my university course and tbh my time is mostly spent doing things like Neural Nets as I'm aiming to do a masters degree in AI for games.

So...

Back to the topic, just what is doable in terms of modding X for multiplayer?

I once had a mod for Oblivion which required some python stuffs and an external program which essentially manipulated a bot in the game according to what the other player did.

Is such a thing not possible for the X series of games?

Also, if the publishers are not kind enough to provide the money for multiplayer why not leave it to the modding community? For example releasing the source or part of the source under the GPL license... ( I think its that, I always get it mixed up with GNU for some reason XD ).

I have a 6 month break and I could do with something to keep me occupied in the mean time ^_^

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:43

This really belongs in the scripts and modding forum, so I'll move it over. I do this that this subject also pops up quite often. I don't think anything tangible has ever come out of it. Still, I'm always amazed at what some of these guys can do.

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:46

Yeah good point I should have posted it there!

I've seen a few of these posts myself but they are normally people complaining at the devs instead of doing something about it themselves.

I'm hoping to mod one of the X3 games when I can be bothered to go the shop lol.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:51

Considering that you claim to have seen earlier posts (like this), and hopefully the [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216696][b]T[/b][b]C[/b] [b]S[/b]&M Posting [b]R[/b]ules[/url] too, what was left uncertain?

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 13:55

The fact that I've not seen multiplayer topics actually discussing the possibilities. Like I said I've only seen topics of people complaining at the devs for no multiplayer.

I want to open up a discussion and get modders to talk about what is possible internally and maybe if there was some sort of external possibility like the mod I saw in oblivion.

I'm new to the forums and multiplayer is a good enough reason for me to start modding :-D

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:06

We have at least one of these topics a month since X2 (5 years à 12 months). Each and every time it has been dropped since it is not possible. This will be no different. ;)

Oblivion had been mentioned a lot of times as well in that context, btw. Doesn't change anything though.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:15

The fact that I've not seen multiplayer topics actually discussing the possibilities. Like I said I've only seen topics of people complaining at the devs for no multiplayer.

*sigh* :roll:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=243321
XTC Mod Team Veteran. My current work:

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:15

Well then call me stubborn :P I've got 6 months to do what I can...

I didn't realise the oblivion thing had been mentioned before my apologies.

Is anyone going to discuss any theories they had or point me at some projects that have been attempted and failed? Or is everyone just going to tell me its not possible and be done with it?

P.S. It's not like I'm asking the community to do this for me, once I get a copy of the game I'll give it a shot.

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:17

Thanks for the link will have a nose :D

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 14:46

Hmm...

I still think its possible... Sorry to anyone who gets offended by these types of threads popping up.

I'm gonna start by creating a blank universe. Maybe 3 sectors tops, just for testing. Then I'll work on the client/server stuff and essentially work towards a LAN mode.

MMO is too much, regardless I only really want a LAN...

Have faith and watch this space. I may suprise you yet. In the mean time I need to keep researching the other topics.

X2-Eliah
x3tc

Post by X2-Eliah » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 16:08

As far as I recall, there was a rather serious thread on this a while back.. There it was determined that for in-sector play, you'd need a monstrous upload/download speeds (constant) to maintain accurate positioning and data linkage, especially syncing bullet & ship positions between two clients.

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 16:18

Yes I've been looking at that ( if its the same thread ) and I'm going to ask for the original project and see what I can do.

I like the way people keep saying eve manages it but then again, doesn't EVE have a black hole full of lagged ships and players trying to trade ^_^

Anyways on a LAN the bandwidth is greater and sending distance doesn't become a problem. If I can get it to work in a 3 sector universe, I'll start expanding and throwing as much in until my computer lags to death just to get an idea of the scale.

If data transmission becomes a problem then I'll consider an approach which allows for small duels and player to player trading etc. I'll see what I can do.

Oh another thing I saw was a community sector. I like that idea, allowing players to only have one ship in the sector might be a solution, not really the X experience I know but a solution at least.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 16:37

Yes, but EVE is totally different from X. There is a very good reason why EVE has WoW controls instead of using real controls like X.
That's what makes all the difference. One time receiving a command to fly somewhere vs. constantly checking whether the player uses the keys, where the player faces to, etc. etc.

reddaggerz
x3tc

Post by reddaggerz » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 16:41

You know, Sins of a Solar Empire does lan play, I don't see why this game can't. There's just as much action in ships alone on that game. You can't really compare EvE because their individual ship RoF's is very slow and now with weapon grouping, its even slower. Plus final hit/miss calculations are made server side (because my missles always rubberband to the target at the last moment)

Gigaros

Post by Gigaros » Wed, 24. Feb 10, 16:43

I agree totally enenra, I'm currently brainstorming ways around the problem like player and ship caps e.g. 20 ships per sector etc etc. But it's all idea work atm tbh.

Even allowing for de-synching is an option. Phantasy Star Online ( for those that don't know, its not a space sim, google it ) is notorious for being out of synch but me and my friends still have an enjoyable time playing it.

red... it's not as simple, Sins is played out on a 2D plane, X is ful 3D meaning a huge bandwidth overhead

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”