Closed multiplayer?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Elso Valager
x4

Closed multiplayer?

Post by Elso Valager » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 21:50

I know this might attract more attention than it should, but i've simply got to query the modding community; there was alot of speak about making an X game an MMO, and i can totally understand why that went down the toilet, it wasn't practical and sort of makes it very difficult to play in the long run, if only appealing to play with friends.

However, how come they haven't had the idea to take what i can only call a GTA IV approach to the game, and allow players to invite others to their universe, whether they come in as a cilivian on a default ship or with a ship, or ships, of their own? Again, this isn't me trying to get into a fight with anything, it's me simply querying why either Egosoft aren't working on this idea, or looking into it, or, why someone in the modding community who has more of a know-how for game modding could do that? Alot of single player games are modded in that way over the internet, some being very sucessful.

Thanks for reading,
-Elso

AjaxDude
x3tc

Post by AjaxDude » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 21:56

This has been dicussed before. It would a take quite a bit of time for even a team like Egosoft to make, and something that would probably be above modders abilities.
How can one player flying one ship defeat a big gang of pirates?

Good flying, or reinforcements. Lots of reinforcements.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 13. Dec 09, 23:54

there isn't enough access to the core of the game for modders to make something like multiplayer properly.

and Egosoft wont do it, coz it would cost too much to add it in, and wont make them enough money back to cover the costs

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 00:03

Access can be granted though Cycrow :wink:

Alot of modding teams have done this with open source games and even non open ones such as Oblivion.

As I'm aware this does take some source files to be open however.

On a modders scale with some support from Ego of easing up SOME hardcode limits its possible.

After making a community mod [XTM] an actual game. it suprises me that they have not done this.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4GHz
CPU Fan: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Ripjaws-X
Graphic Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr V
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB SATA
Power Supply: 650W EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 01:05

Should be possible to make a sort of universe commodity market to buy and sell stuff though that's not quite what most have in mind...

Wonder how many would try out a web based mud style x game (not like x-oa).

bounty_hunter66
x3tc

Post by bounty_hunter66 » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 01:12

and Egosoft wont do it, coz it would cost too much to add it in, and wont make them enough money back to cover the costs
What if someone made a donation to Egosoft? A quite big donation.....

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 01:42

bounty_hunter66 wrote:What if someone made a donation to Egosoft? A quite big donation.....
If a individual/group wanted to do a business proposition to hire Egosoft they'd probably listen at least...

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 01:44

It's not possible. Point. End. Out. Amen. It has been attempted many times, proposed ten times more and every single time it was concluded that it is not possible.

There really is no point in discussing this an 1001th time. :|

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 14. Dec 09, 10:50

And wrong Forum. This is a S&M Forum. You can ask here whether something is possible via modding, and if yes, how.

This particular question has been asked before, and the answer really was and is: No. Not properly. No multi.

The other question, "why Egosoft this or that (multi)?", has been discussed in dozens, if not hundreds of times in threads in the X-Universe Forum. Those threads are not hard to find. That discussion does not belong here to S&M.

If there are real, conrete, and feasible ideas for the Devs, those ideas do have a place: L3+ Ideas Forum. which has strict posting rules. More strict than this Forum.

The S&M question has been answered. The non-S&M discussion has other forums. Lock. :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”