X-Verse Fleet Fest I

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 16:12

Naw, X-Verse Fleet Fest is the most appropriate name. I tells you that a) the action happens and is related to the X universe, and b) it involves combat fleets. Which are the two things the name has to convey in any case.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 16:32

Link should be working if we were on the normal forum - it certainly was last I checked. The fleet is up to date. I used the "show info on a shipyard" prices ingame - from what I have seen, they display the base cost of a ship without any equipment.

... As for how this event should be called. Gentlemen, I thought we agreed on X-Verse Fleet Fest already? :roll:
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Alex Vanderbilt
Winner X3 Sektorquest
x3tc

Post by Alex Vanderbilt » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 16:38

We have. :roll: Otherwise it wouldn't be the title of the topic. ;) Other so called suggestions are to be ignored. :P

AV

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 18:20

Deathmatch Map Pack 2.1 is done.

-I've cut back on my use of additional suns, opting for other means to increase ship visibility.
-Sector race changed back to Pirate for all maps, so the flight school vessel won't appear.
-No maps have any sort of fog, and all have adequate draw distances.
-The pack includes ten deathmatch maps: Arakkis, Artur, Brennan's Triumph, Garenisk Void, Earth Geosynchronous Orbit, Kingdom End, Plasma Accident, Protoplanetary, Red Versus Blue, and Twin Giants.

:)
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 18:30

Title Suggestions:

1st: Fleet Whisperer
2nd: Admiral of the Fleets
3rd: Admiral of the (Race of Dominant Capital Ships in Fleet)

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 19:08

Tenlar Scarflame wrote:Deathmatch Map Pack 2.1 is done.

-I've cut back on my use of additional suns, opting for other means to increase ship visibility.
-Sector race changed back to Pirate for all maps, so the flight school vessel won't appear.
-No maps have any sort of fog, and all have adequate draw distances.
-The pack includes ten deathmatch maps: Arakkis, Artur, Brennan's Triumph, Garenisk Void, Earth Geosynchronous Orbit, Kingdom End, Plasma Accident, Protoplanetary, Red Versus Blue, and Twin Giants.

:)

:thumb_up: Nice.:thumb_up:

On the subject of Titles:
  • Winner: XFF Wargod
  • Best In Battle: Uncrowned King
  • Best Lightshow: Lunatic Starmaker
  • Longest Survival/Match (Winner): Immortal Horde
  • Quickest Match (Winner): Speed Demon

Alex Vanderbilt
Winner X3 Sektorquest
x3tc

Post by Alex Vanderbilt » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 19:10

Small feedback to the map-pack:

Arakkis - you might want to pull the planet further away from the sector center. Currently, it looks like the planet a blue-red 3D image, horrible for the eyes. >.< (It's highly noticeable at the edges of the planet with high inclination)

Artur - fine in my eyes.

Brennans - do you really want to use 5 suns there? Some red light (40) from the planet would be good, too.

Garenisk - Apart from the ugly since blurry background; the suns should be placed way further outwards. Currently, they illuminate the sector from the center and not from the edges of the battle ground which results in dark and bright areas and not an equally ambient light.

Geosynchronous - blue light (50) from earth would aid the feeling of being in the orbit.

Kingdom End - nice one, but again, some blue-greenish light (50/30 each) would aid the orbit feeling.

PlasmaBurst - nice one! ;)

Protoplanet - not bad, but weak in feature. ^^

Red vs. Blue - I'd put the planets a bit further apart from each other. ^^

Twin Giants - best sector of all. :thumb_up:

AV

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 20:09

Triaxx2 wrote:Title Suggestions:
1st: Fleet Whisperer
Had the same thing in mind! Great the forums are back were they belong - felt a bit shakey the last 2 days :D
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 20:18

Before anyone asks, I'm still alive. I'm afraid it is going to take some time before the first battle as checking all these fleets is a painstaking and very deadly task. (I could drop my calculator by mistake and because I don't want to loose 5 minutes worth of calculations, I dive for it but instead hit my head on a table and die :P)

I'm currently checking Aros and Wildjames fleets. Expect the battle between them to be on Youtube soonish (aka by Thursday). I've got school to go to and homework to do so I don't have as much free time as did when I started this competition (it was during my holidays).

Sometimes I wish I could just fire a PBG at my HW :P
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 20:26

Aro vs. Wildjames? Woohoo! Two of the fleets I fear most in the first battle - meaning one problem less I have to think about ;). Should be a fun battle and I don't have any idea on whom I should bet my Quatloos :lol:
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Technojerk36
xr

Post by Technojerk36 » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:10

The battle is only to see who gets into the actual competition. (We agreed that this was the best way to handle 33 fleets). There is a possibility that you might end up facing one of them :twisted:
My "for Dummies" guides: Trade Command Software Mk III | Advanced Satellites | X3: TC (Co-author: K-64) | SETA Repair
Xenon_Slayer wrote:maybe we'll have extreme weather pingpong at some point

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:20

Alex Vanderbilt wrote:Small feedback to the map-pack: ---
Re: Arakkis, hrm, I see it. That is a bit odd on the eyes. Rats. :/

Re: Brennan's, the sunlight from each is around 20% max (Terran space in-game is a good example of maximum sunlight from one sun.) So they add up to about 100%. I was messing with the stadium lights I had in the original and found they looked pretty when clustered together. :P I could of course make them all different sizes...

Re: Garenisk, forgot to move the suns back (they used to be the stadium lights). :P Shall bump them away from the battlefield.

Re: Geosynchronous/Brennan's/Kingdom End, unfortunately, the reflective light from planets is not changeable, unless I add an extra sun opposite the planet - and unfortunately again, the lens flare from the sun would be visible through the planet, which is a bit silly looking.

Re: Red vs. Blue, hehe, realism wasn't the goal... :P but I can bump them back a bit. Doing so should also increase the illumination on their surfaces --> better reflectivity. I do like them to both be visible in the same shot, though, so they won't be moving VERY far.

Re: all, thanks for the feedback :thumb_up:. Are there any requests for more battlefield sectors? I dropped the Oranos battlefield, by the way, because the planet model for it is actually rather low-poly, which starts to look a bit too manufactured up close. Too bad.
Technojerk36 wrote:Aro vs. Wildjames
The first and only qualifying match to enter the qualifying matches, this is the inaugural battle in the X Universe Invitational Fleet Fest Smackdown Tournament Bowl! Our contestants, Admirals Aro's Firin' Mah Lazors battlegroup and Wildjames's Teladi Task Force bring to the battlefield some of the finest hardware of the Teladi and Split arsenals, so expect a real light show out there. Flamethrowing tanks versus laser-spewing Hunter-killers! Who could ask for more? Place your bets! Twelve bricks, or five hammers and a handful of sand?

:wink:
Last edited by Tenlar Scarflame on Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Vanderbilt
Winner X3 Sektorquest
x3tc

Post by Alex Vanderbilt » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:40

Re: Geosynchronous/Brennan's/Kingdom End, unfortunately, the reflective light from planets is not changeable, unless I add an extra sun opposite the planet - and unfortunately again, the lens flare from the sun would be visible through the planet, which is a bit silly looking.
False. :roll: You can change the planet's light the same way you do with suns. ;)
Re: Red vs. Blue, hehe, realism wasn't the goal... Razz but I can bump them back a bit. Doing so should also increase the illumination on their surfaces --> better reflectivity. I do like them to both be visible in the same shot, though, so they won't be moving VERY far.
If I wanted realism, I'd said that you should delete one of the planets. :D No, just move both a bit away from each other and it should be fine. ;)

AV

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:45

Alex Vanderbilt wrote:False. :roll: You can change the planet's light the same way you do with suns. ;)
Did NOT know that. :o

I'm going to go play with that now! :D

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:52

How about a battle taking place outside the HUB?

Alex Vanderbilt
Winner X3 Sektorquest
x3tc

Post by Alex Vanderbilt » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 21:56

Every day something new to learn. :D But don't overdo it. Use the suggested values in my post before my previous post and it should look nice. Too much planetary light has the same effect as too much sun light. ^^

------------------

Why should a battle take place in that horrible sector? The sheer Hub-Construction as well as the planet animation and the nebula, if not turned off, would melt TJ's machine. :roll:

AV

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 19. Apr 10, 22:43

Slightly updated the deathmatch maps. We're at 2.2 now.

-Planet in Arakkis moved back a bit, added some reflectivity.
-Reflectivity added to planet in Brennan's. This is the most I added to any planet, but I thought it made sense given the proximity to a burning lava world. Also, stars were given different brightness values so they show up as different sizes, though they still add up to the same amount of light.
-Slight reflectivity added to Earth in Geosynchronous.
-Slight reflectivity added to planet in Kingdom End.
-Slight reflectivity added to both planets in Red vs. Blue. The planets were both moved away somewhat.
-VERY slight reflectivity added to the closer planet in Plasma Accident.
-Stars pushed back in Garenisk, light should be only minimally weird now.
-Twin Giants, Protoplanetary, and Artur left unchanged.

Thoughts on reflectivity? Also, now that I know planets can emit light, I'm experimenting with the close-range sun that you see in the Hub sector. It causes slow-down only when it intersects with a nebula background... which is odd, but easy enough to work around. Anyone want close-range suns?

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 00:57

If it helps ya get things done faster here's the excel thing I used:
[bahleted]
Last edited by Aro on Mon, 26. Apr 10, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 01:08

I'm proud to say that the Fleet Calculator is about 50% done. All formulas are now in place and working, all that remains is the fairly large task of inputting all the price data from the game, which askrowe and I will hopefully split between us!

Alex Vanderbilt
Winner X3 Sektorquest
x3tc

Post by Alex Vanderbilt » Tue, 20. Apr 10, 03:03

Well done, Tenlar Scarflame. ;) :thumb_up:

AV

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”