X3TC: A How-to for capping the #deca in Vanilla TC without cheating

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Eddis

X3TC: A How-to for capping the #deca in Vanilla TC without cheating

Post by Eddis » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 14:13

So... you want a flying beer can that shoots lazers... who doesnt?

UPDATE (08/08/2011): Note: If initial Deca cap is successful by player (not by NPC ships), Deca can be re-capped at any point afterwards, making the 2nd team launch time issue moot.
UPDATE (03/02/2011): Confirmed this process still works in TC v3.1.
UPDATE (11/22/2010): Confirmed this process still works in TC v3.0.
UPDATE (10/11/2010): Confirmed #deca is destroyable after final capture. Beware.
Guide updated (06/10/2010) to reflect patch 2.7 changes
UPDATE (06/09/2010): Confirmed #deca loses indestructable property after first team caps it in TC v2.7
Patch notes 2.7 - Fixed #deca remaining invincible after being boarded
UPDATE (06/09/2010): Confirmed this process still works in TC v2.6
UPDATE (12/19/2009): Confirmed this process still works in TC v2.5

Yay, my first post.

First of all - why didnt I know about this series earlier?! I am enjoying Vanilla x3 TC a great deal! Thanks to the people here with their helpful advice which I have been lurk-reading for a few weeks now. I guess living in Japan for so many years leaves me a bit detatched...

to the OP, and everyone in general - the #deca M2 Carrier IS possible to obtain in Vanilla without cheating whatsoever. The process also works for the Goner TLS. There is also a pleasant surprise in store at the end of this post. :D :D

This process can ONLY be done during the first forray into ALDRIN space. You only get one chance to get a #deca!

You will need (varies depending on ship internal defenses) 5~15+5~10 marines, the first batch (aka: meatbags) should have sufficient training and fight skill to:

a. kill the ship defenders
b. hack and cap the ship
c. have sufficiently low skill to be...
d. killed by the 2nd group of 5~10 marines (who should be 5 star all around).

When I capped the #deca, it had 12 marines defending it - of which were not present on pre-scan... they kinda just appeared on the ship. My mid-level trained meatbags were able to kill them and cap the ship while taking significant casualties. This makes it easier for your REAL team to do their job. ***note: save before and midway in a different slot in case you bork - even a team of 5 stars can fail on occasion, as it appears to have some randomness to hacking the core***

Since patch 2.6 capping has become significantly harder (as many have claimed). This may impact your chances of capping successfully.

You will also do well to have a M7M which can launch boarding pods - these make your life so much easier.

The process is time-sensitive, your window of opportunity is around 10~15 seconds. This is why I said save beforehand.

The window of opportunity depends entirely on the distance you are when launching your boarding pods. The closer you are, the faster your 2nd team will reach the hull. Logically this means that closer = better = more control.

Step 1: pre-position a M2 or M7 (or anything with big damage output) near where the #deca will spawn. It spawns in the same place every time. You will also want to park your M7M nearby for easy access. A Kestrel is useful at this point so you can zip speedily from the mission station back to your M7M. You will want your 5 star team of marines parked in your M2, and the meatbags on your M7M for convenience, so you dont launch the wrong marines once the shields are down.

You will want to turn off weapons on ships nearby except the one that is dropping the #deca shields for initial cap, and be ready to turn off that ships turrets after initial cap asap due to above change with 2.7 patch.

Step 2: once the plot spawns the #deca, you have roughly 10 real-time minutes before the NPC forces gimp their way over to the #deca and pepper it with fire - making boarding and close-in maneuvering a bit hazardous! All is good tho, because 10 minutes should be plenty of time if you've prepped beforehand.

Step 3: With the #deca shields down proceed to launch your meatbags in pods. Immediately transfer over the real team of 5 star marines to the M7M. The #deca is invulnerable so just leave your M2 to pound it. You will want to make haste to the rear of the #deca (the side that doesnt have the huge mouth-like cavity) and position your M7M (I recommend the Cobra FTW) around 800m or so away. doesnt matter what direction your facing at all. Just be sure your relatively directly behind the ship. Why? Because if your facing perpendicular to the #deca, being a huge ship, and boarding pods being rather picky about their trajectory, one pod may impact a few seconds before the second. From the rear, the boarding pods have a much smaller cone of trajectory, and thus will impact at roughly the same time.

Step 4: So your meatbags make it to the core, great! Around when you get the message "locating the access panel" or somesuch you have a few seconds before the ship is captured - and turned over to the terrans (along with your meatbags!). Screw that. The nice thing about boarding pods is that it takes a few seconds for them to break into the hull. Using this delay, fire your pods before the ship is capped, but not too early so that they break into the hull before the ship is capped.

You will find that once the meatbags have gimped their way to capping the ship it is made un-boardable - except that you already have a team(s) hacking the hull! HAH! So, the ship starts to fly towards the huge rock, and you get some blah-blah quest chat and the mission updates with no problem. Once they finish wasting your speaker electricty with their inane banter you will hear your boarding pod give you an update (which you couldnt hear before due to the plot speech). For me it was clearing level 1. Sit back and wait for your prize to be delivered to you! Congratulations, you are now the owner of a legitimate non-cheated fully-functioning #deca!! *note: reloading 10 times failed to provide equipment on the #deca each time. Too bad.*

This process is similar with the Goner TLS as well (which is what led me to this process in fact.) Why would I cap the TLS when it is given to me as a reward later you ask? I refused to read the walkthrough for the plots, and thus did not know about the goner giving you the ship later on. ***please note, the process to cap the TLS is not the same: you simply need to go hostile to the TLS as soon as it's been capped, at which point it can be re-capped without any problems.***

One little peice of icing, as promised. While I do not use this side-effect, if you use this method to cap the #deca, you will get a perma-invulnerable #deca, which can have shield damage but which never drops below 93% hull. Same goes for the TLS if capped immediately after you board it and it starts flying off.

Use this as you see fit based on your play style and needs.

As stated in patch notes, the #deca loses it's invulnerability after it is capped for the first time. Anyone capping it from 2.7 will be out of luck.

Related to this, is the fact that #deca can ONLY equip Alpha, Beta and Gamma Kyon Emitters. You can farm these from destroying a whoooole lot of khaak M1's and M2's. Drop rates are terrible. Be prepared for a good camp.

There... my first post is completed, and I hope this adds somewhat to this community. Thank you for reading.
Last edited by Eddis on Mon, 8. Aug 11, 13:05, edited 22 times in total.

Super_Bob
x3tc

Post by Super_Bob » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 14:45

I now wish I'd known this before I completed both those plots! Ah well, there is always next time :) Very nice work!

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 18:02

Yeah I definitely wish I knew this before I finished the Terran plot. I'd imagine that obtaining GKE to arm the thing would be kinda tough though.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 19:13

I call exploit on this one...*tosses it onto the pile* :roll:

I would love to have the #Deca as I like the #Deca series ships. It is a bummer it is invincible though :( .

I wonder if REing it fixes that problem....hmmmm....

The P M/A-M L (have not checked other Aldrin guns) states it can be mounted on #Deca...that true?
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 19:23

RandomBandit wrote:I call exploit on this one...*tosses it onto the pile* :roll:

I would love to have the #Deca as I like the #Deca series ships. It is a bummer it is invincible though :( .

I wonder if REing it fixes that problem....hmmmm....

The P M/A-M L (have not checked other Aldrin guns) states it can be mounted on #Deca...that true?
The encyclopedia entries for the other Aldrin guns says Deca is compatible as well, however the entry for the Deca itself lists A/B/G-Kyons as the only compatible weapons - wonder which is right?

I agree, pity about the invincibility, hope REing can sort that out - I fully intend to nab one of my own in my next game.

Super_Bob
x3tc

Post by Super_Bob » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 20:34

I dont care much about the invincability, its more the awesomeness of having something without cheats that you are not meant to have, i'd just have it parked at home most of the time although occationally i'd drop it in the middle of a xenon/khaak sector just for some nice holiday snaps :)

unknown1
x4

Post by unknown1 » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 21:26

Super_Bob wrote:I now wish I'd known this before I completed both those plots! Ah well, there is always next time :) Very nice work!

what do you mean?you can't cap it anymore if the plot is completed?why that?

oh and what plot must i do in order to receive the goner TL?
Last edited by unknown1 on Thu, 10. Sep 09, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 21:32

The conditions for steps 1 to 4 and the subsequent paragraph only apply once and during the initial Terran plot when it first goes to Aldrin.

Not a TL. the Goner TLS = Truelight Seeker M6 from the Goner plot.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Thu, 10. Sep 09, 22:32

First the Aran, now the #Deca. Now I'm starting to wonder if there's a trick to capping Kha'ak capitals.

mntnd3w
x3tc

Post by mntnd3w » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 01:40

Great Find! I suspect it will be a long time before someone caps this, then does the rest of the necessary plots to get the phq and re the invincible #deca.

I agree it will not be much fun while in the invincible state. If it could be destroyed like every other ship it would a lot more fun.

You most certainly can get kyons for it in vanilla x3tc. Just have to go to kaa'hk territory and kill their destroyers and carriers a lot.

Eddis

Post by Eddis » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 02:16

I am collecting 400 microchips currently - so i'm a ways off getting the HQ. You can be sure that once I do I will be Re-engineering all the unique ships i've been collecting and stowing in the sw corner of Gunne's Crusade.

I am quite sure that re-engineering the TLS and #deca will make them non-invincible.... not that its a big problem tho, a fully loaded Gamma Kyon #deca with 6x2 GJ shielding and 60 fighters loaded for destroyer encounters.... ouch!

Don't wait up for me to finish the HQ and Hub plots however... I am doing it all Vanilla (version 2.1), and it's gonna take a while.

I took some pictures of the whole deal, enjoy :)

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=553340

Capping in progress.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=553341

all your #deca are belong to me :o

the ship directly beside the #deca is a Colossus M1. Just goes to show you just how big it really is :o

Smyde
x3tc

Post by Smyde » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 03:54

Last week I started a new game and haven't done any plots yet so when I get to this part I will deffinitly be giving this a go :D

tidurlagi
x4

Post by tidurlagi » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 05:47

Gotta try this out. Thx Eddis.

Pisces1

Post by Pisces1 » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 08:01

Eddis wrote:I am quite sure that re-engineering the TLS and #deca will make them non-invincible.... not that its a big problem tho, a fully loaded Gamma Kyon #deca with 6x2 GJ shielding and 60 fighters loaded for destroyer encounters.... ouch!
Unfortunately you can't reverse engineer invincible ships.

I acquired my deca through scripting, unfortunately I haven't yet aquired enough Gkyon emittors for it :( It is also too big to dodge incoming fire so 6GJ isn't enough.

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 10:31

Seeing as it is just about the size of a gate, it must REALLY clear out any potential travelers when you show up, heh heh.

"hmm, the red lights are flashing towards me...I better stay on the outside edge...WHAT THE FU*SMASH*... ... ..."

:lol:
<X3ap>

unknown1
x4

Post by unknown1 » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 10:38

Pisces1 wrote:
Eddis wrote:I am quite sure that re-engineering the TLS and #deca will make them non-invincible.... not that its a big problem tho, a fully loaded Gamma Kyon #deca with 6x2 GJ shielding and 60 fighters loaded for destroyer encounters.... ouch!
Unfortunately you can't reverse engineer invincible ships.

I acquired my deca through scripting, unfortunately I haven't yet aquired enough Gkyon emittors for it :( It is also too big to dodge incoming fire so 6GJ isn't enough.
that is a lie.It can be reversed engineered but only in the Hq you get trough the quest .Hq created by cheating can't reverse any ship at all.

Eddis

Post by Eddis » Fri, 11. Sep 09, 14:22

I'll confirm re-engineering the #deca and re-capped TLS as soon as I get done with the quest....

I'll be back in oh... 7 weeks? =)

Eddis

Post by Eddis » Sat, 12. Sep 09, 07:54

For those who have capped the #deca and are wondering about Gamma Emitters to equip to your new toy:

I can confirm that Alpha and Beta drop at WARLORD rank.

EDIT: confirmed Gamma Kyon Emitter drop starting from Crusader rank!

I have read that higher rank will drop Gamma's.

Kah'ak Carriers and Destroyers will drop the Emitters, which can be farmed in Kah'ak sector 926.

My recommendation for this area - and oddly enough what I am currently doing right now:

Jump your #deca (which is invincible, but which is only present to equip the emitters as they drop) in the center of the zone.

*note: it appears the #deca will shift position occasionally if it is not in the center of the zone and the player jumps out and back in in a differrent ship. This does not occur in Gunne's Crusade or the Hub sector. Other sectors I am unsure of. *

Jump in a few ships with at least 6 GJ shielding and long range weapons, position then to either side of the #deca and leave them on turret:attack all. You will want to ensure they are not within firing range of eachother - ppc's are rather indescriminate as to what they blow up :shock:

Once the 2 ships (i used 2 Boreas with PPC front/side and FAA on the other turrets) are in place, jump in some laser towers and place them in 2 lines. Line 1 should be above the #deca and a bit to the front of it, Line 2 should also be above the #deca and a bit behind. This covers it's blind spot as it has no Turret Up's.

You will get a lot of missile drops while your farming, so if you like to collect them, bring a carrier with ships that can collect them (preferrably well shielded!) and periodically send them out to collect wares in sector.

The Destroyer and Carrier spawn roughly 10~15 minutes Realtime without SETA.

SETA and your laser turrets and PPC's dont like eachother - my turrets would fire sporadically even at 5x, but it appeared that they could handle 3x with little delay.

The whole time you will get random spawns of Scouts, Interceptors and Fighters - that's what the laser towers and FAA are for 8) These will spawn anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes in small groups. Nothing too troubling by the time you can actually GET to this sector (Final Fury plot).

Carriers can generally be taken down by 15 laser towers without any player interference as the carriers weapons appear to have poor aim at 5km range, but this becomes less of an issue as it gets in closer. By that time it should be well on it's way to becoming space dust.

Destroyers are a bit tougher and will likely take out a few towers if you dont move up a few PPC's on him as he's approaching.

Finally, I have noticed that the game appears to drop the emitters more often when the killing shot comes from the player controlled ship. I typically sit in the #deca until the carrier or destroyer spawn, then transport over to the Boreas which is closest to the incoming capital ship and prepare for it's destruction. It may help you to set both boreas front/left/right turrets to Attack My Target, so they dont accidentially blow up a turret or something.

The Fighter/Scout spawn appears to always be centered around the ship controlled by the player at the time. In a boreas they will spawn 500~1000m away from it, usually either above or below (and consequently get a nice FAA in the face heh), but the #deca is rather... huge? The fighter/scout spawn will appear significantly further away if you are parked in the #deca. I found this to be more useful, as it gives the laser towers more time to adjust position. If the towers are placed well enough away from the #deca (mine are 2.5km on both front and back), they will generally not need to adjust position very often as the spawns usually pop in near the #deca.

There is aCorvette spawn as well, and generally pops up 8-15km off. Nothing to worry about there tho.

I will be updating this as I increase rank and spot the first Gamma drop.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=553409

Here is a pic of some turrets and my boreas, as well as my capped invincible TLS (using 2 PALC's - I wish I could get more of these!)

Happy hunting all, and enjoy your flying beer-can :D

EDIT: use the time between cap spawns and manage your empire remotely... very efficient 8)
Last edited by Eddis on Sat, 12. Sep 09, 11:57, edited 3 times in total.

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Sat, 12. Sep 09, 08:21

Eddis wrote:<work and math and stuff>
nice post

a bit cheesy...but I am one of those paladins of proper gaming...so don't take it personally. :wink:

Looks like you have a nice set up there...I am wondering though...with the #Deca invincible why not just have it hop in and drop hundreds of LaserTowers? Will that have an impact on the drop rate (going off your 'player ship' assumption)? On that note, do you have to get the kill in the player ship?

It should be neat to see what people do with the thing.
<X3ap>

Eddis

Post by Eddis » Sat, 12. Sep 09, 08:34

I believe yes, the drop rate is effected by if the player controlled ship lands the killing blow. It is a bit hard to guage this when fire is coming from multiple locations tho.... just a feeling I have.

Sure, you could drop 100's of laser turrets and then sit back and do absolutely nothing if you so choose. I am not actually using the #deca for combat tho, its only there so I can easily equip the dropped Emitters as they come.

I understand what you mean about being cheesy, and I agree with you. I am actually hoping that when the #deca is re-engineered new built versions will not be invulnerable - but this is rather a moot point as a #deca with full Gamma's and 12GJ shielding fears very little in this game. Anything big enough to get to it's hull can easily be handled by the 60 fighters it can carry :)

The whole point of this escapade is that no one has figured out how to cap the #deca (and posted here) until now, with my guide on how to do it. With such little content in this game it can only help things by letting everyone know that the option to own the #deca is there. At the end of the guide I did state specifically that players use the information as they see fit based on their play style and needs. I am sure many people will not re-engineer it because it IS invincible, and more power to them if thats what makes their game play more enjoyable! :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”