Can we get a like button for each post please?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nico07091980
x3tc

Can we get a like button for each post please?

Post by Nico07091980 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 07:57

Hi there,

Some posts are very nice, good written and say most or all there is to say. I'd like to show my appreciation when I see one of those without spamming the forum with unnecessary text. A like button could do the job.
There seems to be plenty of space next to the exclamation mark and quote button. Please squeeze one in :)

Cheers

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can we get a like button for each post please?

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 09:38

Maybe a 'dislike' button too (to save some personal arguments in forums)? :D

Of course use of such buttons would be discouraged in Tech Sp and Beta threads, as are posts that add no new useful information now.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nico07091980
x3tc

Post by Nico07091980 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 11:49

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 09:38
Maybe a 'dislike' button too (to save some personal arguments in forums)? :D

Of course use of such buttons would be discouraged in Tech Sp and Beta threads, as are posts that add no new useful information now.
I see. A like button opens up possibility in my eyes. For example Egosoft could list posts sorted according to member approval to show meaningful posts first. That could make it easyer for the forum members to differentiate useful from not so useful posts. Maybe you, me and others could skip nutjobs and such easyer that way :wink:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 13:52

This may sound old-fashioned, but one of the ways that we maintain the above-average level of civility on this forum is by making it a place for discussion rather than just another social media style popularity contest. If people want to express support for, or disagreement with, a post by another user then they are encouraged to do so with words rather than just mindlessly clicking a button. And we would rather people made their own minds up about whether a post is useful or not, rather than just rely on the "herd" to do it for them.

Also, we did actually try having like and dislike buttons for a while, many years ago. It didn't go well, and we have long memories. ;)

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 14:20

Tempted to hit the non-existant button on CBJs post. :wink:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Nico07091980
x3tc

Post by Nico07091980 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 15:02

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 13:52
This may sound old-fashioned, but one of the ways that we maintain the above-average level of civility on this forum is by making it a place for discussion rather than just another social media style popularity contest. If people want to express support for, or disagreement with, a post by another user then they are encouraged to do so with words rather than just mindlessly clicking a button. And we would rather people made their own minds up about whether a post is useful or not, rather than just rely on the "herd" to do it for them.

Also, we did actually try having like and dislike buttons for a while, many years ago. It didn't go well, and we have long memories. ;)
Maybe we could think the concept behind that idea a bit further if a like button don't cut it. For example Microsoft in certain Forums as for PowerBI has a function wich enables a questioner to mark an answer as solution for his topic. When marked it is shown after clicking on the "go to solution" button. That way you are able to skip the more or less useful discussion. Every discussion in a forum should find an end. Preferably a solution. A timer for inactivity on a topic as it is in this forum - if I'm not mistaken - often don't cut it well in my eyes. Because after the solution post a lot of bla bla had been posted in a lot of cases. So the important post is unnecessary hard to find I think.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 17:44

I volunteer to mark the CBJ's post as the solution for this thread. :goner:

Some make a post when they have experienced something awesome. There is no question, nor an issue to "solve". There is no solution for such succee, no end for awesomeness.

Some posts are old and the solution was valid when it was posted, but not any more. Some "solutions" were disputed to begin, so marking them would not have been unanimous.

Nico07091980
x3tc

Post by Nico07091980 » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 18:10

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 17:44

Some make a post when they have experienced something awesome. There is no question, nor an issue to "solve". There is no solution for such succee, no end for awesomeness.

Some posts are old and the solution was valid when it was posted, but not any more. Some "solutions" were disputed to begin, so marking them would not have been unanimous.
I understand the benefits of conservatism. But I also understand how to appreciate successful concepts from multi-billion dollar corporations. We can and should learn from it. This is my opinion.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 19:37

CBJ wrote:
This may sound old-fashioned, .........

Some threads have a lot of comments, it takes ages to find the high value ones. 90% are trash and wasting expensive time (to read them) :rant:

Btw it helps YOU, to make your game maybe....better?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 23. Mar 24, 21:14

I was tempted to look for such button, but then I remembered this is one of the reasons I dislike Facebook for.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 00:04

Nico07091980 wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 18:10
jlehtone wrote:

I understand the benefits of conservatism. But I also understand how to appreciate successful concepts from multi-billion dollar corporations. We can and should learn from it. This is my opinion.
I often forget that not everyone's worldview is as cynical as mine and it is really nice to remember at times, that not everyone's first association when they hear the term "multi-billion dollar corporations" is of child labour, environmental disaster, or as we are talking about tech companies here, fueling ethnic cleansing.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Nico07091980
x3tc

Post by Nico07091980 » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 06:39

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 00:04
Nico07091980 wrote:
Sat, 23. Mar 24, 18:10
jlehtone wrote:

I often forget that not everyone's worldview is as cynical as mine and it is really nice to remember at times, that not everyone's first association when they hear the term "multi-billion dollar corporations" is of child labour, environmental disaster, or as we are talking about tech companies here, fueling ethnic cleansing.
Right, I should say some concepts like topic related once.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 11:03

Me, the hacker.
CBJ wrote:
5 x :thumb_up: 2 x :thumb_down:

Return to “Off Topic English”