U.S. Presidential Election 2024

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

U.S. Presidential Election 2024

Post by Observe » Sun, 11. Feb 24, 02:41

I figured now might be a good time to create a dedicated thread on this topic. Currently, it seems that there are three serious candidates for President: Biden, Trump and Kennedy.

Here are the results of a recent (January 9) Gallup poll on "favorability rating":

- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: 52%
- Donald Trump: 42%
- Joe Biden: 41%
- Nikki Haley: 33%
- Ron DeSantis: 32%

DeSantis has dropped out since this poll was taken. I don't have any idea which of the remaining four will pick up votes from his supporters.
Last edited by Observe on Sun, 11. Feb 24, 05:09, edited 3 times in total.

Falcrack
x4

Re: U.S. Presidential Election 2024

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 11. Feb 24, 04:26

I still think stuff could happen with regards to indictments, so Haley should stay in. She has not dropped out.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 11. Feb 24, 05:08

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 11. Feb 24, 04:26
Haley should stay in. She has not dropped out.
My mistake. Haley is still in. OP corrected.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 11. Feb 24, 08:20

According to polls more people like him than hate him unlike both trump and Biden. However not many people seem to know him.

Bidens the favourite to win by a little bit. Doesn't seem supported by polls though. Still think there's some dodgy stuff going on because it very much doesn't make sense. The average person hates Trump and Biden but it seems like they should hate trump way more. Seems bizarre.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 13. Feb 24, 11:55

What is it that has led to the candidates all being so damned old? Is it just a lack of name familiarity that means people don't make it through?

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Tue, 13. Feb 24, 12:12

Chips wrote:
Tue, 13. Feb 24, 11:55
What is it that has led to the candidates all being so damned old? Is it just a lack of name familiarity that means people don't make it through?
Bets are already being accepted. Let the freak show begin.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 13. Feb 24, 22:15

U.S. has millions of citizens? Out of all of them, these are the "best"? :gruebel:

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 13. Feb 24, 22:31

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 13. Feb 24, 22:15
U.S. has millions of citizens? Out of all of them, these are the "best"? :gruebel:
in the two party system, both parties pick a candidate that most likely win based on people who vote.

if all the young people did and could vote, the picture would be different
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 00:53

jlehtone wrote:
Being elected president was never about being the best.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 01:29

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 00:53
jlehtone wrote:
My thoughts exactly, it's about money and clouts. Young(er) people usually don't have either and if they do, they prefer to use it for other things than a political career.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 01:42

I think it might be a good idea for the President to be chosen by lottery. All natural born citizens between the ages of 35-60 would be eligible to be drafted into the job. The "lucky winner" would face a battery of tests and background checks to make sure they qualify. No election, no millions of dollars spent for campaigning.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:16

Observe wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 01:42
I think it might be a good idea for the President to be chosen by lottery.
That's literally the dumbest take of all, even monarchy or dictatorship is better coz the person has some skills unlike some rando.
Lottery never worked beyond homogenouns micro-communities, where it doesn't matter who you select.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:31

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:16
Observe wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 01:42
I think it might be a good idea for the President to be chosen by lottery.
That's literally the dumbest take of all, even monarchy or dictatorship is better coz the person has some skills unlike some rando.
Lottery never worked beyond homogenouns micro-communities, where it doesn't matter who you select.
Take a Chinese or Musk Roboter and coat it with a sex doll.
Then spend it a star link internet and Chat GPT - the perfect "free world" leader is born!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:37

EGO_Aut wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 07:31
Take a Chinese or Musk Roboter and coat it with a sex doll.
Then spend it a star link internet and Chat GPT - the perfect "free world" leader is born!
Congratulations - I wrote in previous post that lottery is the dumbest take, but you actually managed to find something worse.
At least in lottery, you have miniscule, but a chance to draw from pool of producive people.

AI overlord won't work - the more AI consume the internet, the dummer it becomes.

Edit:
This actually remind me the polish video game series Earth 2140, where US is led by various AI, but they pick human President by lottery.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 14:03

euclid wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 01:29
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 00:53
jlehtone wrote:
My thoughts exactly, it's about money and clouts. Young(er) people usually don't have either and if they do, they prefer to use it for other things than a political career.
If not "best", then "most suitable" for that particular job? If "mad" and/or "oppressive" king was not desirable to the extent that a war was fought, then why the citizens now settle for apparently mad and criminal (if convicted) sovereign?

Perhaps the tasks of POTUS should be tailored to suite the candidates, e.g. sans executive powers, like old monarchies in Europe do have non-political sovereigns. Or like Zaphod Beeblebrox -- although even that was a "mistake".

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 14. Feb 24, 15:01

One of the problems is that those who want power the most are often least qualified for it. The way it is now, the presidency only really goes to those who want it the most, who are delusional enough to think that they deserve to lead the nation.

The people who would be most qualified to be president are generally too humble to actually run for office. If the president were chosen from among the people, without putting their names forward and without seeking the office of presidency, that would produce the best president.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 15. Feb 24, 09:59

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 14. Feb 24, 15:01
One of the problems is that those who want power the most are often least qualified for it. The way it is now, the presidency only really goes to those who want it the most, who are delusional enough to think that they deserve to lead the nation.

The people who would be most qualified to be president are generally too humble to actually run for office. If the president were chosen from among the people, without putting their names forward and without seeking the office of presidency, that would produce the best president.
Yep.

This always gives me a laugh https://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6p8cuN9Cv64&usg=AOvVaw2VGulg1VjcpmVlJQQiiv6D&opi=89978449

Not sure if that link will work, just search for Spitting Image The Presidents Brain is missing :D
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Fri, 16. Feb 24, 15:42

If we talk seriously for a minute, the key to democracy is participation and education. Citizens in democracy need to understand that it's a responsibility to vote, it's not something can just hand wave.

They also need to understand who is being elected.

And last but not least, the access to voting must be so that maximum people can vote. That means access to voting booths, having day off, etc.

If you dont have one or more of these, the democracy is then a bit shaky. And the further it goes like that, less you are a citizen and more of a subject. Example, Russia, which has subjects not citizens.

Some other adjustments can also be made, for example, instead of two party system / winner takes all - a system where coalition government is formed. Instead of single vote - a ranked choice approach.

US can take several steps to be better at this, and only one of which, not the only step, I believe is mandatory voting like what Australia does.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Fri, 23. Feb 24, 14:29

Who knows if this will be America's last election. At the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), they are now openly calling for and applauding the overthrow of democracy in order to erect a theocracy in its place.

Here is the quote plus video:

"Welcome to the end of democracy. We're here to overthrow it completely. We didn't get all the way there on January 6th, but we will endeavor to get rid of it and replace it with this right here…Because all glory is not to government, all glory to God."
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 23. Feb 24, 15:23

clakclak wrote:
Fri, 23. Feb 24, 14:29
Who knows if this will be America's last election. At the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), they are now openly calling for and applauding the overthrow of democracy in order to erect a theocracy in its place.

Here is the quote plus video:

"Welcome to the end of democracy. We're here to overthrow it completely. We didn't get all the way there on January 6th, but we will endeavor to get rid of it and replace it with this right here…Because all glory is not to government, all glory to God."
Given how populists are gaining support (for doing populist things but never really fulfill any promise they make) on a global scale, this might very well be the case. I for one lost all hope so far and just look for a nice place where I can turtle down for the next 40 years [~my lifespan left].

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Return to “Off Topic English”