Hyperion Vanguard - capturing

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Relief
x3

Hyperion Vanguard - capturing

Post by Relief » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 04:06

So I have been looking towards the Hyperion Vanguard as my main personal ship, the only problem is that this ship is not for sale at any paranid ship yard. I see the Hyperion Vanguard as the best player ship for the reasons of fire power and the ability to doc ships, which allow the player to transfer to a faster M5 when needed.

The issue I have is finding one, I have searched many paranid sectors without a one in sight. Does anyone have an idea where I might find one?

Secondly, I have yet to attempt boarding a ship with marines. I am currently in the process of training a group to prepare for the mission. Though as seeing I have yet to attempt this, does anyone have any advice? I am going to use a TP as my marine transport and attempting unloading the marines at the right time... any advice is welcome.

- Relief

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 04:11

Keep searching, as it moves around. And secondly, I would advise to at least use an M6 for the capture as the Hyperion is tough for a TP.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 04:24

I agree, use an m6 if possible. the m3+tp strategy works fine for ships with few turrets, but really not the best vs a hype (with FOUR turrets!)
Train up those marines, 3 stars is probably going to be needed.

Your best bet is a sat network in most paranid sectors, and constant watch. Barring that, an m5 piloted by you scouting them all out...

Which reminds me.
m5s are SLOW now.
I remember back in x2 when a disco went 500.. a jag went over 1000 m/s!
Now a disco goes like 300, a jag like 500.
And the arrow and starburst arent there anymore from what I understand :|

PaulP
x4

Post by PaulP » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 06:41

I see Hyperions EVERYWHERE. I've probably capped 20 of them by now.

I'm not really sure why... but they're purty :)

As far as M5s, the Kestrel is the best one - pirate if you can capture one (which isn't easy, considering they fly 635.2ms). They hold jumpdrives too, although the 52 sized cargo bay limits the distance - I just jump mine in on my Hyperion.

The Hyperion is a great ship. My Hyperion is my utility ship - its loaded up for taking down big ships, my Nova Raider also onboard is a bit faster and equipped with PRGs and EBCs for ships big and small when I want more maneuverability, and my Pirate Kestrel is great for scouting. And if anything really big shows up (like a KM2), I just jump in my Tiger.

cucher

Post by cucher » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 09:38

Yesterday capped one. Used Vidar and 5 marines with 2-3 stars average. Took off sime hull till speed 110 mps. Marines left me though 30%. My opinion, Hyperion is better then Vidar. EBCs save laser generator pretty well, and the damage for enemies is great.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 14:46

Lancefighter wrote:Which reminds me.
m5s are SLOW now.
I remember back in x2 when a disco went 500.. a jag went over 1000 m/s!
Now a disco goes like 300, a jag like 500.
And the arrow and starburst arent there anymore from what I understand :|
You're misremembering, the speeds for M5s in X2 ranged from 260m/s for the mandalay to 540m/s for the Jaguar, X2 did have it's own superfast M5 with the pegasus and it's 1009m/s speed like reunion's arrow. I can't say I miss them in TC though, the kestral is about as fast as I want to go, any faster and you flinch whenever you get near an asteroid.

I used a heavy osprey with five four star marines to capture the Hyperion and they had no trouble.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Relief
x3

Post by Relief » Tue, 23. Dec 08, 01:02

Well at this stage I don't have the capital to afford anything like a M6 or above... so here is the battle plan thus far.

tell my TP to follow me, once in decent rage pound the ship with missals to lower the shields, once done transfer to the TP and set my nova to keep shields down while I move the TP into position and eject troops. I am thinking even with the mass of turrets I should be able to at least do this quickly enough to keep from taking too much damage. Any suggestions?

Relief

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Tue, 23. Dec 08, 01:28

actually.
I would recommend telling the TP to follow the target.
Usually, because the TP isnt being aggressive, it will be ignored... allowing it to stay within a thousand meters or so.

From there, use cycrow's hotkeys to launch a boarding attempt from it once the shields are down. Hopefully, this will work...
i used this method to catch my first m6, a hydra. Then again to get a nemmy :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 23. Dec 08, 16:17

btw theres been a few improvements to the boarding commands.

in Ships additional command console, theres a command to launch all your marines straight away

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Tue, 23. Dec 08, 17:32

o.0 no way...

still no substitute for a hotkey; your not out of business yet cycrow :p

Relief
x3

Post by Relief » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 06:41

Hmm, so I have mapped all paranid sectors and placed sats. I still have yet to see one... this is getting a little disconcerting.

- Relief

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 06:48

Before i nabbed it mine was labelled Paranid Military Hyperion Vanguard, and it was a total fluke seeing it, i had been back and forth through the paranid sectors on many occasions before seeing it, so be aware, the name may not jump out at you.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

Relief
x3

Post by Relief » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 07:08

Yeah I have been careful to watch for that, I figured it would have a title since all the other ships do.

PaulP
x4

Post by PaulP » Wed, 24. Dec 08, 07:14

I see them everywhere, so you're probably just overlooking them.

Right now just randomly jumping between 8 different Paranid sectors I spotted 3 of them.

Blake Gedye
x3tc

Post by Blake Gedye » Fri, 8. May 09, 13:16

Hi there all,

I'm also having the same problem, I really want a Hyperion.

I have found one though, I've got a M5 ordered to follow it 24/7 so I never loss sight of it, good thinking i thought ;)

but now I need to capture it, so far my plans are to send boarding parties from both my Centaur (5 marines) and Scabbard (10 marines) but I'm not getting any luck... do the marines have to have a certain amount of stars? and if so, haw many marines will do the job

thanks
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 8. May 09, 13:40

An M6 can't hold more than 5 marines, so don't send more than that...any extras will vanish, I believe. What problem are you having, anyway? You don't make it very clear...are the marines even reaching the target?

Deman
x3tc

Post by Deman » Fri, 8. May 09, 13:54

For a Hyperion I believe you only need 3 star marines, someone might have the exact figure however.

Simple capping instructions using an M6:

0. Bind a Hotkey to launch marines at target.
1. Scan Ship for any marines / Anti Boarding Equipment
2. Get targets shields below 10%
2a. If Marines/Anti Boarding Equipment, use Ion Disruptor to remove (with shields down)
2b. Keep Checking Info(press u) of target ship until removed.
3. Close distance and launch marines. If target is focused on you stop engines and let it circle you.
4. Keep Shields low and DO NOT IonD :)
5. Sit and wait on Marines to do their thing.

Problems you will encounter:

Launching Marines to early with shields up will cause abort.
Launching Marines with Target equipped with guns will cause a few to be shot down in their space suits.
Your marines are not high enough in rank to crack the hull
Your marines are low combat rank and die. This can only be raised by capping other ships and not trained.
Marines wont launch? This is why you want a hotkey.
Riot Games eSports Broadcaster - http://www.twitter.com/RiotDeman

Blake Gedye
x3tc

Post by Blake Gedye » Fri, 8. May 09, 17:13

Thanks alot dude,

Will give that a go soon,

so can it be done with just an M6? will I not need any more than 5 marines?

Thanks again
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 8. May 09, 18:21

The hardest 2 problems are:

- Cracking the hull. You need at least 3* in Mechanical for that (I think)
- Target ship killing your marines while in space. For that, you need to do 2 things:
+ Either use IonD to remove the guns (You may not be able to do this, because only a few ships can use IonD, and IonD can kill your marines too, so after you launch your marines, you can't use IonD any more).
+ Or use Fighter Drones to distract the target.
- Target ships have marines on-board. For starters, ignore these target, find another target instead. Later on, when your marines are well trained, you can try to capture the enemy marine (They eject themselves just before the ship is taken over).

Last but not least, have a TP handy. They can pick up marines floating in space (yours or enemy marines). If you use any other ships to pick up marines, they turn into regular people :-(

The key to launching your marines is to launch them IN FRONT of the target ship, such that the target ship will close in to the marines. So get behind the target ship, match speed, strip its shield, then accelerate to be just in front of it, match speed again, then launch the marines. The shorter your marines remain in space, the less likely they will be killed.

Bulldogc
x3tc

Post by Bulldogc » Fri, 8. May 09, 19:26

you should use those guys to cap acouple of pirate m6's first so you get a handle on how its done, if you dont have anypractive you could blow your load and waste all that training.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”