Tutorial : Opening The Script Editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Tutorial : Opening The Script Editor

Post by LV » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 13:50

Tutorial Opening The Script Editor

[ external image ]

Once you are In game go to change name

[ external image ]

Be VERY careful how you write "Thereshallbewings"

It must be one word and it is VERY easy to miss a letter out.

If you names stays the same after typing it (e.g. above it would remain as "Player")

If it changes to Thereshall be wings then you have typed something wrong or already opened the SE

Once open when you open your ship menu and press "s" on the keyboard it will open the SE

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Remember that sometimes if a script you have loaded seem not to work you may need to save your game and reload or press the "reinit script caches option" once.
Last edited by LV on Thu, 30. Oct 08, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

eskeemer
x3

Thereshallbewings

Post by eskeemer » Wed, 29. Oct 08, 16:53

I`m trying to get to the script editer told to go to the name change screen and type in there "Thereshallbewings" how do I get to this screen then what do i do?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 29. Oct 08, 16:56

Go to your pilot menu, hit "m", then enter the name. There'll be a slight pause in the game.

Scotty, two to beam up.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 29. Oct 08, 17:29

onces its enabled, you can open it via the hotkey, or by going to your global commands menu

eskeemer
x3

Post by eskeemer » Thu, 30. Oct 08, 10:04

thanks for that but I still can`t sort it out do i go to personell box if so I can`t get to pilot name sorry to be a pain but I`ve tried everything so I need a little more guidance I think

Deathifier
xr

Post by Deathifier » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 16:29

eskeemer wrote:thanks for that but I still can`t sort it out do i go to personell box if so I can`t get to pilot name sorry to be a pain but I`ve tried everything so I need a little more guidance I think
The default key sequence, with keys in <> is:
<p>
<m>
Erase your current name.
Type "Thereshallbewings"
<Enter>
*Wait for the game to resume*
<Shift+C>
<s>

And off you go.

Yes the global commands lists the script editor as "s" however when you look into it the command only works in the console.
I spent about an hour trying to find it and only when I went to change the key did I find it was not global at all.

- Deathifier

DitDog
x4

Post by DitDog » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 21:53

ive got the Script editor running, i see a long list of scripts in the script tasks, but when i open the AL plugin, nothing shows up...is there something i'm not doing?

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 23:58

DitDog wrote:is there something i'm not doing?
Installing any AL Plugins by any chance?

If you have save your game then reload it
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

canslow
x3

Post by canslow » Sat, 8. Nov 08, 23:32

Having a heck of a time learning about scripts here, so much info. Anyways, I have a question, and not sure where to post it, perhaps you can help LV. Is there a way to get rid of Extension commands/hotkeys from the list in Options/Controls/Extensions? I have several of them that are no longer in use and want to clean up that menu. Thanks!

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Sun, 9. Nov 08, 09:02

the scripts may uninstall them for you, ask in the thread you got the script from as the author will be able to tell you then

canslow
x3

Post by canslow » Sun, 9. Nov 08, 17:28

Thanks LV, got them uninstalled.

Thygrrr
x3tc

Post by Thygrrr » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 00:51

I have a question.... is this in-game script editor the only way to actually edit the scripts? It seems immensely clunky and unintuitive (to a long time 'traditional' programmer such as me, at least).

To think that all those amazing complex and trade management scipts were made using this editor boggles my mind so much that I actually refuse to believe it :)

So far, the script XMLs seem difficult to edit at best; I didn't bother feeding them into some kind of there-and-back transform/parser engine yet, but I doubt that'd really simplify things. So, how do the pros edit their scripts? I can't see anyone talk about that in these tutorials... (I promise to double-check, though).

I am actually starting to suspect a lot, if not all of the original stock scripts by Egosoft were made in this Editor, as well. Would kind of explain a lot of things... :roll:
X³ - Terran Conflict, Steam Version
Mein DXDIAG dump (clicky)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 02:05

you can tell you now, that all the built in scripts were made in the normal editor

as for editing the xml, thats not even that easy, because the xml you see in the file is not used by the game, and is generated to make to human readable when opening up using a style sheet.

the actual script coding that the game uses is all inside the <codearray>

Thygrrr
x3tc

Post by Thygrrr » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 19:47

Cycrow wrote:you can tell you now, that all the built in scripts were made in the normal editor

Wow, this is amazing. Shocking from a technical standpoint, too, but also amazing. Kudos to you guys!

Thanks for the quick answer.

Cycrow wrote: the actual script coding that the game uses is all inside the <codearray>
Interesting. There's no way to actually write a stand alone compiler for that? And moreso, Egosoft didn't do it for internal use yet?
X³ - Terran Conflict, Steam Version
Mein DXDIAG dump (clicky)

Kabal316

Opening script editor crashes game

Post by Kabal316 » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 20:57

So i'm really new to this game but every time I try to activate the script editor by changing my pilot's name it causes the game to freeze and I have to kill the operation from the Program manager. I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find a solution. Anyone Have any ideas?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 21:08

How long did you wait? A brief freeze is normal.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 21:24

The first entry in [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690]TC Download Library[/url] has comment:
"ask questions in this thread for problems opening the SE"

Merged to that thread.

Kabal316

Post by Kabal316 » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 22:04

i waited about 20 seconds or so while the music played in a loop and it was listed in the program manager as not responding

Eleutherios
x4

Noob problem/Question....

Post by Eleutherios » Sun, 24. May 09, 15:06

Ok so i know theoretically how to get the script editor up, but when i enter the name and press 'enter' all it does is open my player menu... how gto ratify if any one can help?

also once its up, is there a way to simply.. add a couple hundred thousand to my credits? thats really all i want at this point lol

BlackRazor
x4

Re: Noob problem/Question....

Post by BlackRazor » Sun, 24. May 09, 16:00

Eleutherios wrote:Ok so i know theoretically how to get the script editor up, but when i enter the name and press 'enter' all it does is open my player menu... how gto ratify if any one can help?
When you entered the name and pressed enter you activated the script editor, just close the menu, save and then reload the game and you're good to go.
also once its up, is there a way to simply.. add a couple hundred thousand to my credits? thats really all i want at this point lol
I suggest you check the cheats sticky, you will find the answer there; also check the Plugin Manager sticky as that tool is required to install a lot of scripts (including the cheats script you need to increase your wealth :wink: )
"For the love of the Fish-Queen!"

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”