- As well as the main Bala Gi Research Missions there will also be a number of new BBS missions. Watch out at pirate stations in particular, as life there just got a little bit more interesting.
- Fans of the Tractor Beam will be pleased to know that it can now also be used to tow ships, and that this even works when towing them from one sector to another.
- Pimp my ship! Have you ever seen the colour variations in other ships and wished you could change the colours of your own? Well, now you can. It's a fairly basic facility, but we think it is fun and we hope you do too.
- If you had dreams of Avarice but didn't have the cash, then there may be another chance for you with the 2.0 update.
Note 1: The DVD release of X³ by Enlight is simply a re-issue including the version 2.0 update on the disk.
Note 2: The version that will be available for download for existing X³ owners free of charge will be 2.0.01. The main difference is that 2.0.01 includes other language versions, but there is also an extra BBS mission and a few additional fixes that didn't make it into the DVD version.
Note 3: Savegames made in 1.4.03 or earlier can be loaded using the 2.0 DVD release, and savegames made in 1.4.03 or earlier, or in 2.0, can be loaded using 2.0.01.
UPDATE Nov 7th, 2006
A list of changes for the 2.0.01 update has been requested a couple of times and now here it is, the preliminary changelog.
Once again please note that due to ongoing localisation works the update is not yet available. There is no reason to hammer the download page It'll take a couple more days.
X³: Reunion 2.0.01 Readme updates wrote: Additional functionality:
- Bala Gi Research missions, enabling access to Player Headquarters station and new ships (Paranid Hyperion, Argon Eclipse, Split Chimera and Paranid Medusa) through a set of exciting missions.
- Player Headquarters (see detailed description in "X3ReadMe2.0.01.rtf", which is included with the update)
- Two new sectors have been added: Senator’s Badlands (Yaki) and Elysium of Light (Goner)
- Four new missions for the BBS boards have been added (hint: living a Pirate’s life just got more interesting)
- A new shipclass has been introduced: the M7. In terms of offensive and defensive capabilities a ship of this class is situated between M6 class Cruisers and M2 class Destroyers. The Paranid Hyperion is currently the only ship of that class.
- The Xenon have upgraded their arsenal as well to counter the new ships designed by Bala Gi Research Inc now roaming the Universe is the Xenon LX
- New ware Software Signature Scrambler available at Pirate BBS boards. This device can mask the System Override Software from Police scans
- A new weapon can now be found hidden in several sectors: the Concussion Impulse Generator. This weapon can be used to force enemy ships off course. Many M3 class vessels as well as capital ships can mount this laser
- Tug Laser can now be used to tug player-owned ships or ships with no shield even through gates
- Mouse cursor toggle behaviour changed: cursor will now return to the setting it was at before you docked at a station. If you manually disable the cursor while docked it will remain disabled until you re-activate it or dock again
- Input menus have no more restrictions regarding their supported character set. This means special characters like ü, ä, ö or also Cyrillic letters can now be used for names
- Ships and stations now have a Self Destruct option. Once activated your have 10 seconds to leave the ship/station before it detonates
- The shockwave of missile impacts now influence ships in the detonation radius
- The minimum zoom distance for external views has been reduced
- Yaki ships do now use their ship variants
- You no longer need to have your CD/DVD in the drive to play X3
- All known problems relating to ship turrets not firing have been fixed
- Several minor issues relating to corrupted ship models have been fixed
- Missiles should no longer be rendered black
- Changed Friend/Foe settings for captured ships are now properly reflected by the HUD
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused rocks to disappear in loaded savegames, making mobile mining impossible
- The auction for the sector Avarice has been re-balanced and will restart for those who missed their chance to claim that sector
- Text and spelling mistakes have been corrected in various places
- A number of smaller issues relating to Interface, Equipment, Sound and Missions have been fixed
Savegame compatibility is maintained from all previous versions to 2.0.01
- Users of the X3 Bonus Package should make sure they update their Bonus Package to the latest version, otherwise there could be conflicts with outdated scripts!
- This version no longer uses the copy protection "StarForce", however this patch does NOT remove the protection system from your computer! If you wish to uninstall StarForce you may do this using the "StarForce Drivers Removal Tool" available here: http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
Also note that uninstalling the StarForce drivers might cause other software to stop working. If that happens it may be necessary to reinstall that software.
And finally, here is the text of the original announcement in case anyone missed it!
Egosoft wrote:In the great tradition of the X series games, a bonus for fans old and new, a very special X³ update from Egosoft.
In Q4 2006 EGOSOFT will release a final update to X³: Reunion under the title X³: 2.0 Bala Gi Research Missions.
Key features of this update will include:
- An exciting mission to unlock a unique new spacecraft and get hold of the biggest construction in the X universe to-date.
- Get hold of the exclusive (and unique) M7 class prototype battleship, once owned by the Pontifex Maximus Paranidia himself. This ship is lean and mean and can dock two fighter ships.
- The Player Headquarters can only be built once, but will be the most powerful outpost that the player can own. With its massive storage capacity it can hold huge quantities of upgrades, repair and produce ships, and host more ships at its docks than any other station, even shipyards.
- Bala Gi Research Inc. has developed a new M3+ class of ships. You will get the chance to distribute the blueprints for this new masterpiece of ship construction to the various shipyards.
There will also be a number of little extras like a new weapon type, sectors and various other additions and fixes. The update will also no longer require the game media to be present, so you can put your CD or DVD back in its box.
Note: This update will be available free to all owners of X³: Reunion, and will be compatible with existing savegames.