[TC] Maxed Hyperion Vanguard - a simple way to insanity. (spoilers)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

At which point can I be considered insane?

Thinking about a maxed hyperion in first place
8%
Creating Keyboard Macros
4%
Using AutoHotKey to be able to sleep sometimes
4%
OCRing thousands of images, really?
14%
Downloading C# Express just to sort bunch of files
No votes
Using coworker's PC to run a game overnight, and he knows it
14%
Nothing is wrong here, keep up trying!
55%

Total votes: 49

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Thu, 28. Apr 11, 01:29

This is...quite impressive, 11k reloads.

I know nothing about scripting this stuff, would it be possible for an amateur to use these tools?

Note, you are indeed insane...but then, if we can benefit from your insanity, doesn't that make it okay? :p

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 28. Apr 11, 01:37

You're a looney. Want me to send you a certificate? :)

A max speed Hyp isn't really that useful; I'd settle for a max /steering/ Hyp with only 240 or even 230 speed - it's much more useable as a playership
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

nponoBegHuk
xr

Post by nponoBegHuk » Thu, 28. Apr 11, 02:31

To those interested in my scripts, they work but are not polished. I could share them but it would take several forum posts to explain how to set them up (and clean up the mess after), so... check back in 2 days (2 because tomorrow I'm busy and today it's too late:P ) for user friendly version.

I wish X3TC 1.2.1 could run in background! Will have to wait until hub's done for that.
Fast sector selection on the Universe Map | Rock locations for Mobile/OOS mining | Botting for max speed Hyperion | Complete list of ship sources | Capturing smaller ships

My current ship collection:
7 out of 11 *retired* ships found
1 out of 17 *unique* ships found
1 out of 9 *limited* ships found
0 out of 16 *rare* ships found

glenmcd
x3tc

Post by glenmcd » Thu, 28. Apr 11, 04:31

kurush wrote:How about making your toolkit for Hyperion hyper-tuning publicly available? :)
nponoBegHuk's may be okay; mine is too far off mainstream. Some of the programs I used I wrote in assembler for AmigaDOS, and run under the Amiga emulator "WinUAE". Sure, it's fast to write and fast to execute but not the sort of thing that would be easily tranported to another machine.

I've tried most macro programs and Macro Toolworks seems to be the most powerful when it comes to actually programming stuff inside. Variables, O/S interface, image capture / comparison etc. You could literally do away with everything else and write a single macro for Macro Toolworks. Initially, you start with no saved images. It does the steps to see how fast the HV is (a few key presses). With each step it can "look" at the screen and know when it can press another key. It captures a rectangle, compares to each that it's captured before (at this stage being none) and makes the decision to save in TC and rename the save file for later loading. The captured image is saved in a .bmp or .png file and then loops. So it would end up being able to immediately recognise whether it's seen this speed combo before, and only create the .sav file if not. With such logic, you don't end up with hundreds of any type of file, so there's no need to use CRC or checksum for streamlining. Macro Toolworks does the comparisons using video image comparisons live.

One could go further and create a stand-alone .exe from a Macro Toolworks macro, which would then be easily transferrable to other computers, along with ability to bind to a hotkey. It would adapt to whatever video settings you're using, clearing the cached images at session start. If anyone is interested in doing this here's a link to the MT webpage:
I previously created a macro with MT that performed as an autopilot for helicopters in GTA San Andreas. It flew towards the red cross (RMB on map), which took into account side-winds in storms etc. The point here is that the image comparison tools in MT did that job and it can do this one. It would actually make a good bot for many games if your system is fast enough.

For anyone convinced that writing macros for a game is crazy, it is a pretty decent way of getting an introduction to programming and macros, without it being too boring or stressful. If you think skill-building in the #1 growth industry (gaming) is a waste of time, perhaps it's time to question that thought. It may just save you from job redundancy down the track.

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Thu, 28. Apr 11, 11:50

Snafu_X3 wrote:You're a looney. Want me to send you a certificate? :)

A max speed Hyp isn't really that useful; I'd settle for a max /steering/ Hyp with only 240 or even 230 speed - it's much more useable as a playership
Maxed out steering is not the problem. Getting one with overtuned speed AND STEERING is the real problem...

I explained in another post, my max steering (over standard) was something like 7.8 rpm (but with substandard speed, like 148.something). It is not comparable to any fighter class ship (20+ rpm), but one round more is better than nothing. That is, why I was so eager to perform so many reloads, when I got my 250 HV after less than 30 reloads.

Crazy & greedy people here ;-)

EDIT: Steering reference http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 84#3566784
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Poisoned Paranid Start (X3TC): Take a joyride in a Hyperion Vanguard (250.3m/s)! VANILLA Updated 2012-04-02 (new mediafire link)

nponoBegHuk
xr

Post by nponoBegHuk » Fri, 29. Apr 11, 17:49

My toolkit is ready to use. Instructions:
  • Backup your X3TC save folder My Documents\Egosoft\X3TC\save (or the whole My Documents\Egosoft folder if you wish to protect your screenshots also!) or at least the X01.sav file which is the only one which will be overwritten by the script
  • You will need some space at primary HDD volume (C: ) as this script will not allow you choose different volume to record on (sorry)
  • Download here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20277215/hyperion.rar
  • Extract somewhere, install AutoHotkey109702_Install.exe (if you already have AutoHotkey installed, make sure you have the "_L" version) and converter.exe which is a trial version of Image Converter Plus
  • Open X3TC launcher and change graphics settings: Make it run in a window at 1024x768 at low graphics detail. The following settings did fine for me:
  • Load X3TC, you should be docked at the station ready to turn in the quest, open comm window and check the position of Nula Li in the window:
  • Save the game in the slot number 2 (this one is important :!: ), and make sure there are no empty save slots. If there are just keep saving until all 10 slots are filled.
  • Turn in the quest once manually, open the "Landed Ships" window. Your Hyperion must be the first on the list. If it isn't, try renaming the ship you're in so Hyperion appears first. And reload game number 2 (which must be prior to turning in at this point).
  • Edit the x3.ahk file, you need to change this bit:

Code: Select all

NPC_POSITION=4	;Position of the Nula Li npc in the comm window
    Change 4 to whatever number Nula Li has in your game. If it's beyond 9 then... you'll have to change this bit

Send c%NPC_POSITION%11
    to something like

Send c{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}{Down}11
    or mix in some page downs which is equally ugly. Let's hope he's among the first 9 npcs!
  • Save the x3.ahk and run it. Close all the programs that might create pop-up windows (antivirus, mail program, messenger, appear offline on steam, adobe auto updater - hate that one) . If the X3TC loses focus, the script gets interrupted. You need to leave at least one window other than X3TC open (because X3TC won't let you use Alt-tab out of it if everything else is closed). Explorer or notepad are good choices! :D
  • Somehow, the AutoHotkey shortcuts are not working from within X3TC so alt-tab to your other open window and press Ctrl+Alt+S to start the script. You should see the following result:
    -X3TC window activates
    -The quest gets turned in and the properties of hyperion are opened on the screen
    -The properties window gets scrolled down and the screenshot of "Current Speed" is taken
    -The game gets saved into slot 1
    -The game in slot 2 gets loaded
    -Repeat infinitely.
  • While the game 2 is reloading, the script creates a folder c:\X3TC output\raw and makes a copy of your last screenshot and X01.sav into 1.sav and 1.bmp, the second time the names of 2.sav and 2.bmp are given and so on
  • To stop the script Alt-tab out of the game and press Ctrl+Alt+D (it's best to do it during the "loading..." phase.
  • If you see that some of the steps get skipped, you could try increasing delays after taking screenshot, saving game or reloading by editing the x3.ahk file, and if you happen to see it idling for too long after loading you could decrease them accordingly. You have to save, run the file again, then confirm that you wish to replace the script currently running with the new version, and press Ctrl+Alt+S again.
  • After you're happy with the delays and the script is running smoothly, let it run for 10-20 reloads and check your c:\X3TC output\raw folder. you should have pairs of BMP and SAV files named 1,2,3 and so on. If they are there, the script is working properly.
  • Use the imgconvert310.bat file to create small cropped images which correspond to speed part of your screenshots, they will be placed in the c:\X3TC output\png folder and should look like this:
  • If instead of seeing hyperion speed and upgradeable to value you see other output on the thumbnails (which might happen if you use different game window resolution or different version), you need to edit the following part of imgconvert310.bat:

method:rect_pwh size: 530 474 80 55
    The first two numbers are horizontal and vertical offset and the last two are width and height of the box, usually you only want to adjust the first two numbers to take the thumbnail of the correct part of the original image (you can open one of your original screenshots in paint and check the coordinate of the upper left corner of the speed number, just bear in mind that depending on the weapon layout there are 2 different positions for the speed, one slightly lower than the other, so make sure to choose coordinates that are valid for both of them. Also, you don't even need to get the whole number inside the thumbnail, as long as you can recognize what's on it (say, you can only see "148." instead of "148.8 m/s" it will be fine).
  • Run the hyp sorter.exe, if it won't load you might want to check windows update for missing .net framework service packs or similar.
  • Once open click on the "Select Folder" button and open c:\X3TC output\png, it will ask you to recognize the number displayed on the image, like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/darX0.png
    You can be asked several times for each speed, don't be afraid, your choice gets saved in settings.xml file in the same folder as your hyp sorter.exe so the next time you run the program you won't have to answer again for the same images, as long as you don't delete the settings file. Double check the speed you're choosing before clicking OK because if you make mistake you'll have to delete settings.xml and start again.
  • When all the images are recognized, you will have a list with the number of images corresponding to each speed. Select a row containing the speed you're interested in and click "Show Filenames". You will have the names of the files displayed below in the listbox.
    In this example files 9 and 10 have ships with 209.7 speed which is the best I could get within 12 reloads. If you are happy with this speed all you have to do is go to c:\X3TC output\raw folder, locate 9.sav or 10.sav and copy it into your savegames folder. Delete X01.sav and rename this file into it. Load game 1 in X3TC and you're done
  • If you didn't obtain the ship you wanted and want to clear HDD space just delete the c:\X3TC output folder, it will get created again the next time you run the script.
Damn, it took 2 hours to write the script and 4 hours writing instructions.

{Oversize image changed to link - Terre}
Last edited by nponoBegHuk on Wed, 29. Jun 11, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Fast sector selection on the Universe Map | Rock locations for Mobile/OOS mining | Botting for max speed Hyperion | Complete list of ship sources | Capturing smaller ships

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 00:02

Bookmarked, I'll have to read through this and join your insanity when I start my own PP game =P

Impressive!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 00:04

Somebody should tell ES devs not to put randomly generated unique goodies into the new game. Reloads suck.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 00:13

Then don't reload. :P Nothing says you can't simply accept what the game gives you and play on from there, as the devs most likely intended. Of course, there's also the Turbo-Booster which will give you even more speed than a max overtuned Hyperion, if it's speed you're after.

Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me, so I'd likely reload two or three times to see if I could get something a bit better, and accept the best of the lot. Having a superfast Hyperion isn't really that important to me, since it's just one more advantage I'd have over the pathetic AI.

And if you simply must have a maxed out overtuned Hyperion at any cost, there's always the S&M route.
Having an Acronym Attack? See the Ego FAQ. Also now for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
NOT an Egosoft employee.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 02:01

I have to remind you that in this particular case we are talking about one of the very few overturned ships available in vanilla. In absence of other ways to overturn ships this is how you get one of the most powerful ships in the game. If you playing vanilla, some reloads is a must. ES would do us a huge service by making this tuning fixed and not random as it was with Pandora.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 02:13

kurush wrote:I have to remind you that in this particular case we are talking about one of the very few overturned ships available in vanilla.
Why do you think you need to remind me? You think I don't know that? Did you miss the point of my post? If so, see below.
In absence of other ways to overturn ships this is how you get one of the most powerful ships in the game....
My point exactly. I see no point in spending hours trying to get an overpowered ship just to beat up on the hapless AI. I can do that readily enough with almost any old regular ship. :roll:
ES would do us a huge service by making this tuning fixed and not random as it was with Pandora.
In which case, I'd argue against having very many overtunings. The whole point of the randomness is to give those players who are very, very lucky something amazing. It's not so much fun if it's just given to you from the start, IMO.

Oh, and Pandora wasn't really random at all. Everyone was given a fixed number of tunings to find, and they weren't that hard to find, even without the BBS messages, once you knew approximately where to look. I never had a problem finding them all.
Having an Acronym Attack? See the Ego FAQ. Also now for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
NOT an Egosoft employee.

nponoBegHuk
xr

Post by nponoBegHuk » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 04:12

Personally I didn't feel like I absolutely need an overtuned hyperion to win against the AI, in my previous game I had a standard 169 one and did fine.
Nevertheless, I like collecting rare and hard to find ships, the harder to get - the more I want it. So a max speed hyperion is a must have for me collection-wise. It's like people who buy a Ferrari when they are not allowed to go over 120km/h on the highway anyway.

EDIT: oh, by the way, "Ferrari" seems like a nice name for it! Now I need to finish the hub and paint it red!! :lol:

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 30. Apr 11, 04:43

Oh, and Pandora wasn't really random at all. Everyone was given a fixed number of tunings to find, and they weren't that hard to find, even without the BBS messages, once you knew approximately where to look. I never had a problem finding them all.
This is exactly what I was trying to say :) Imagine pandora tunings being generated with random value. Wouldn't it be bad experience?

Aelhis
x3tc

Post by Aelhis » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 15:12

Can we get a script like this to AP.
O just explain to us mere mortals how to edit the initial part of the file to Open AP?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:18

You dredged up an old thread to ask a scripting question? Not good form, or forum etiquette. :P Ask about scripting and modding in the S&M forum, please.
NOT an Egosoft employee.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”