[SCR] [11.11.08] [X3TC V1.1] SNM - Ship/Station Names Managment

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Orfevs
x3tc

Post by Orfevs » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 05:36

Don't know how it can be done really. Been looking into this one and tried tweaking it somewhat, testing and testing again. Problem with colors (at least in TC) is that the message system doesn't understand the colors used in menus and for ships, while the ships doesn't understand the colors for messages.

I'm still tweaking, but can't say for sure whether or not I'll produce anything worthwhile. However, I did find a few more colors if nothing else.. :lol:

I think the solution here is to dynamically intercept messages going to the log/message window and remove any nasty colortags before sending it onwards. How to do this is another matter. I'm still a novice when it comes to scripting TC.
TCAN TC/AP Artificial Life, Menudriven Automated Ship/Station Namer
Spex: i7 4790K@4Ghz 16Gb DDR3 GTX970Strix(4Gb)
X:R 454 Hours. 15 hours unmodded.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 07:09

Orfevs wrote:Don't know how it can be done really. Been looking into this one and tried tweaking it somewhat, testing and testing again. Problem with colors (at least in TC) is that the message system doesn't understand the colors used in menus and for ships, while the ships doesn't understand the colors for messages.

I'm still tweaking, but can't say for sure whether or not I'll produce anything worthwhile. However, I did find a few more colors if nothing else.. :lol:

I think the solution here is to dynamically intercept messages going to the log/message window and remove any nasty colortags before sending it onwards. How to do this is another matter. I'm still a novice when it comes to scripting TC.
Well its good to know that someones working on it. Thanks for giving it a shot.

jimhsu77479
x4

Post by jimhsu77479 » Sat, 14. Feb 09, 21:31

For some reason, I am getting crashes linked directly to this script.

Tests:

X3TC (1.3) + no script - games runs fine
X3TC (1.3) + script - game crashes after 2-5 minutes upon load (freeze)
X3TC (1.3) + no script + load from prev. samegame with script - game crashes after 2-5 minutes upon load (freeze)

X3TC (1.4) + script - game crashes after 2-5 minutes upon load (freeze)
X3TC (1.4) + no script + load from prev. samegame with script - game crashes after 2-5 minutes upon load (freeze)

Additionally SETA does cause it to crash faster (suggesting something script related)

I have not done tests with TC 1.4 with no script, but i need a break after several hours of debugging yesterday.

This occurs whether the AL setting is on or off.

Some possible mods that I have that might conflict:

Race patrols
Conflicts
Bounty Boost
EMP stuff

PS Update. I believe the issue has been resolved. The culprit is race patrols, and it malfunctions in both 1.3 and 1.4, with or without SNM.

m4t3y

Post by m4t3y » Fri, 8. May 09, 06:02

strude wrote:I have done some tests on this script as I noticed something odd early in one of my games. When setting the "Notify when command complete" option to yes in any of my properties command consoles, I will get a message from unknown with no content and only a close button. Here's what I did so you might be able to track it down.
Hi...I would really love to try this script but the blank notify message is what really puts me off since I have also experienced them. They most probably have nothing to do with this script (the colors).

I haven't used this script, I think most probably I don't even have it installed and I am also experiencing problems with the blank notify messages with no text. They show as message from unknown and than nothing else.

What I have discovered is that it is the length of the ship names that causes that (at least for me).

I have experienced this blank messages when I was renaming my ships to longer names so I could more easily see them in list of my ships in those huge amounts of Advanced Sattelites.

I was renaming them to sthg like
Advanced Eclipse ::::::::::::::::::::::

so they would be longer than those Your Advanced Satellite and would stick out more. After I have found that with such long names the notify messages are corrupted I just renamed all my Advanced Satellites to just AS and shortened the names of the ships (which caused the notify messages to start working again). I haven't tested it for the exact length that causes that but imho it is between 20-40 chars.

Falcon Sentinel ///////////
was corrupted and now I have it named as
Falcon Sentinel ///
and it is fine

EDIT: Actually I have just found that some long names don't cause that so there must be some special characters involved in ship name for the notify messages to get corrupted.

I have renamed my Nova to
Nova @ Homebase test long titles
and the notify message was ok

I have used many non-letters chracters after the name like:
::::::
//////
;;;;;;;
'''''''''''
^^^^^

basically any non-letter character I could find on my keayboard that I still haven't used so if someone wants to test it further more focus on these types of characters...the letters itself are probably ok and not causing this.

So to summarize it, it is a combination of some special characters and ship name length that is too long which causes the notify messages to become corrupted.

It has no direct connection to this script. I can post list of installed scripts if someone has the ability to find such a bug. It might be also worth testing it in the vanilla game if the bug is present there as well or if it is caused by some script that I have installed. I have like 20 of them so I cannot say which one it can be.

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Fri, 8. May 09, 06:18

Square brackets "[" "]" are a common culprit for unknown blank messages.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Fri, 8. May 09, 15:14

This is good news. I will test it myself. I can hardly play this game without colored names!

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sat, 9. May 09, 06:34

m4t3y wrote:
strude wrote:I have done some tests on this script as I noticed something odd early in one of my games. When setting the "Notify when command complete" option to yes in any of my properties command consoles, I will get a message from unknown with no content and only a close button. Here's what I did so you might be able to track it down.
Hi...I would really love to try this script but the blank notify message is what really puts me off since I have also experienced them. They most probably have nothing to do with this script (the colors).

I haven't used this script, I think most probably I don't even have it installed and I am also experiencing problems with the blank notify messages with no text. They show as message from unknown and than nothing else.

What I have discovered is that it is the length of the ship names that causes that (at least for me).

I have experienced this blank messages when I was renaming my ships to longer names so I could more easily see them in list of my ships in those huge amounts of Advanced Sattelites.

I was renaming them to sthg like
Advanced Eclipse ::::::::::::::::::::::

so they would be longer than those Your Advanced Satellite and would stick out more. After I have found that with such long names the notify messages are corrupted I just renamed all my Advanced Satellites to just AS and shortened the names of the ships (which caused the notify messages to start working again). I haven't tested it for the exact length that causes that but imho it is between 20-40 chars.

Falcon Sentinel ///////////
was corrupted and now I have it named as
Falcon Sentinel ///
and it is fine

EDIT: Actually I have just found that some long names don't cause that so there must be some special characters involved in ship name for the notify messages to get corrupted.

I have renamed my Nova to
Nova @ Homebase test long titles
and the notify message was ok

I have used many non-letters chracters after the name like:
::::::
//////
;;;;;;;
'''''''''''
^^^^^

basically any non-letter character I could find on my keayboard that I still haven't used so if someone wants to test it further more focus on these types of characters...the letters itself are probably ok and not causing this.

So to summarize it, it is a combination of some special characters and ship name length that is too long which causes the notify messages to become corrupted.

It has no direct connection to this script. I can post list of installed scripts if someone has the ability to find such a bug. It might be also worth testing it in the vanilla game if the bug is present there as well or if it is caused by some script that I have installed. I have like 20 of them so I cannot say which one it can be.

Well its not working for me. I tested it by changing the color of a Mercury to red and got a blank incoming message. Not sure what you did to make it work.

m4t3y

Post by m4t3y » Sun, 10. May 09, 01:50

joelR wrote: Well its not working for me. I tested it by changing the color of a Mercury to red and got a blank incoming message. Not sure what you did to make it work.
are you sure you are quoting the correct message? cause I don't see any relation in your response to my post...I didn't say anything about making it work...just sheding some more light about the circumstances that seems to cause the blank message bug

so what exactly have you tested?....according to my experience with the blank messages if your name contains some special chars and the name is long than you will get blank messages....

I don't have it installed (the script is not the real cause of the blank messages bug anyway, it just makes your names so long that it causes the blank messages bug by fulfilling the circumstances that activates the bug) but according to the first post that expalins how the colors are changed if you have a ship named
"Your ShipName @ Homebase"
and it has red color than I guess the real ship name is
"/red Your ShipName @ Homebase"

so it contains / which is definately one of the characters causing the blank messages when coupled with long ship name cause I've experienced that with my "Falcon Sentinel //////////"

sorry but your post doesn't put much light into this problem...if you want to test it you need to look deeper and test it more....for a start I would suggest using the colors on some very short name under 20 chars including the /red in the beginning...I know that when I shortened my shipnames below certain amount of chars (the point where it starts/stops to work is somewhere between 20-40) the notify messages started working again so it might work for you as well.

if you test it more and find something let us know....we need to get more feedback from others as well if it works for someone without problems...I can test it in few weeks when I have more time for gaming

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 10. May 09, 05:28

m4t3y wrote:
joelR wrote: Well its not working for me. I tested it by changing the color of a Mercury to red and got a blank incoming message. Not sure what you did to make it work.
are you sure you are quoting the correct message? cause I don't see any relation in your response to my post...I didn't say anything about making it work...just sheding some more light about the circumstances that seems to cause the blank message bug

so what exactly have you tested?....according to my experience with the blank messages if your name contains some special chars and the name is long than you will get blank messages....

I don't have it installed (the script is not the real cause of the blank messages bug anyway, it just makes your names so long that it causes the blank messages bug by fulfilling the circumstances that activates the bug) but according to the first post that expalins how the colors are changed if you have a ship named
"Your ShipName @ Homebase"
and it has red color than I guess the real ship name is
"/red Your ShipName @ Homebase"

so it contains / which is definately one of the characters causing the blank messages when coupled with long ship name cause I've experienced that with my "Falcon Sentinel //////////"

sorry but your post doesn't put much light into this problem...if you want to test it you need to look deeper and test it more....for a start I would suggest using the colors on some very short name under 20 chars including the /red in the beginning...I know that when I shortened my shipnames below certain amount of chars (the point where it starts/stops to work is somewhere between 20-40) the notify messages started working again so it might work for you as well.

if you test it more and find something let us know....we need to get more feedback from others as well if it works for someone without problems...I can test it in few weeks when I have more time for gaming
Seems like I didnt understand your post then. I assumed that if you posted in the SNM thread then you used the SNM script. If you began a new thread about the incoming message bug I think that would be a more appropriate place to "test" your theories. Keep this to SNM so no one who stumbles on it gets confused ok? You worry about whether or not what you do "sheds light" or just keep it to yourself alright?

@Pelador The EST script uses the / and I get incoming messages? Is it a random bug? I have read that its something to do with the actual color as opposed to symbols. But im no scripter... Could there be a workaround?

m4t3y

Post by m4t3y » Sun, 10. May 09, 17:34

since many users of this scripts are having problems with the blank messages I don't see anything wrong about posting about it here since it is closely related to the script. I don't need to have it intalled to post here if I am talking to the topic. If you don't understand that it is SNM related that doesn't mean it doesn't belong here.
If the thread author asks me or any moderator about removing my post from this thread and moving them to blank messages only thread I don't have problem with that.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 11. May 09, 00:22

{FIXED}

:)

jimhsu77479
x4

Post by jimhsu77479 » Mon, 18. May 09, 23:46

I'm getting more serious problems consistently with this script, including freezes and corrupted savegames (wtf). It would seem like from here: http://forum.egosoft.com/posting.php?mo ... 4f96b449d1 that certain "unknown" combinations of ship naming (because SNM runs in the background) causes hard crashes and corrupting. Another "egosoft feature" i guess.

I will be uninstalling this and doing further debugging - I have no idea what could be causing this.

PS Update: Interestingly, I think it was the exact same problem; only this time, it was a Boreas destroyer that gave the problem:

Replicate: Strip all color tags from ships, and jump to Elysium of Light - guaranteed corrupt savegame.
1. Tried stripping off tags only at homesector - corrupt game
2. Tried not stripping off tags, jumping - normal savegame
3. Tried deleting the Boreas, then stripping off all tags of all ships - normal savegame

Also I noticed that some names on my freighters were too long. Changed that.

I suspected the Boreas because the game would often crash right after I changed its orders.
Argh .. Egosoft and their buggy game...

borgrel

Post by borgrel » Fri, 30. Oct 09, 22:00

i read......
it looks great......
i wonder......

....where is the download link??

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”