Is my graphics card dying?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Is my graphics card dying?

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 28. Nov 23, 02:52

I have an issue on one of our computers where recently, every once in a while, the screen will randomly turn "rainbowy", with multiple graphical glitches, and sometimes getting a black screen entirely with a slight hum from the speakers, and I could only restart it by forcing it off by holding down the power button. When restarted, everything seems fine, and I don't get error messages. I did a memory check for my RAM, which revealed no issues. How can I determine for sure whether it is my graphics card that is dying, or some other component, such as the motherboard or CPU? Is there a program that can diagnose whether a GPU is faulty? I want to find out fairly quickly while Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are still going on if I need to order a replacement graphics card.

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Is my graphics card dying?

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Nov 23, 08:43

First thing I did when something similar happened was plugged the cable into the system board graphics port, assuming yours has one. (If I remember, I had to enable it somewhere...) - Anyhow, the screen artifacts I was suffering stopped, so problem was identified.

Best of luck.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 28. Nov 23, 10:16

You can try running unigine heavens free benchmark. Try the lower setting tests? Other benchmarks might push the card too hard?

Quite a few games have benchmarks you can try or try playing some games. Far Crys, Tomb Raiders, and quite a few more.

Underclocking the gpu memory in msi afterburner solve the issue. Don't forget to hit apply after changing the setting.

When does the screen turn colours?

Remove any overclocks. Reset video card control panel?

Cpu have graphics just in case?

Can look in device manager at the gpu (exclamation marks, etc...) can look in view reliability history or event viewer.

Gpu-z might have a stress test (cpu-z does). Can see more temperatures there also and info.

Gpus age?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 28. Nov 23, 15:08

burger1 wrote:
Tue, 28. Nov 23, 10:16
You can try running unigine heavens free benchmark. Try the lower setting tests? Other benchmarks might push the card too hard?

Quite a few games have benchmarks you can try or try playing some games. Far Crys, Tomb Raiders, and quite a few more.

Underclocking the gpu memory in msi afterburner solve the issue. Don't forget to hit apply after changing the setting.

When does the screen turn colours?

Remove any overclocks. Reset video card control panel?

Cpu have graphics just in case?

Can look in device manager at the gpu (exclamation marks, etc...) can look in view reliability history or event viewer.

Gpu-z might have a stress test (cpu-z does). Can see more temperatures there also and info.

Gpus age?
It is an i7700K with a GTX 1060, bought in early 2019. It is used mostly by my kids (I have a more recent comp), and the last time I witnessed it happening, it was while they were playing Roblox, and it happened at other times during Roblox as well. The card is not overclocked. It is a rare enough occurrence that we could just live with it for now, but if it is the GPU, I would rather just get it replaced.

In fact, we just went ahead and ordered a new card for it last night, an RTX 2060 for $180. I could still cancel the order, but it is a low enough price I don't mind just paying for an upgrade.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 29. Nov 23, 07:49

Run gpu-z and see if there's high temperatures anywhere (not just the general gpu temperature but other parts in the gpu). Repasting/pads?

Can probably run msi afterburner and underclock the core clock, memory clock and set the power limit a bit lower. Make sure you click apply when changing settings. Could also try undervolting it a bit in msi afterburner there's a voltage curve editor.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 29. Nov 23, 08:01

Open the PC and unplug every component.
Clean :!: and control your fans, components, heat sinks etc. From dust.
Plug everything together but not your gpu, reboot with internal one, then plug gpu in and reboot again.

I think you have checked the monitor on another pc/input :?:

Return to “Off Topic English”