[#1413]Should pausing the game also pause the music? - Fix in 6.20 b9.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Falcrack
x4

[#1413]Should pausing the game also pause the music? - Fix in 6.20 b9.

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 06:51

I came back to playing after a bit of an extended break, and one of the things that seemed a bit off to me was that when I paused the game, the music paused too. Should the music keep playing when paused? It seems to me that this would be better, but what do you all think?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Should pausing the game also pause the music?

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 12:04

The music and sound effects currently playing keep playing while the game is loading or saving, and the on-screen message before the screen changes is 'game paused'.

I just checked in-game, in my vanilla version 6.10 HF1 the sector music does keep playing while the game is paused. Is your issue with a specific situational music such as in combat, or on a station, etc? Is the issue related to display mode such as fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, or windowed?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 16:00

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 17. Aug 23, 12:04
The music and sound effects currently playing keep playing while the game is loading or saving, and the on-screen message before the screen changes is 'game paused'.

I just checked in-game, in my vanilla version 6.10 HF1 the sector music does keep playing while the game is paused. Is your issue with a specific situational music such as in combat, or on a station, etc? Is the issue related to display mode such as fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, or windowed?
Something must have changed in 6.2 beta. Because that is what I am using. The in sector music when my ship is in space pauses when I pause the game. This is in an unmodded game. I don't see any sound settings that relate to pausing music when the game is paused. Changing display mode does not affect it.

When I reverted the game back to 6.1, the music continues to play in the background when the game is paused. So should this be classified as a bug introduced by 6.2? Or a feature? If it is a feature, it is one I don't like.

Falcrack
x4

6.2 b8 in-game music pauses when game is paused

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 16:08

In 6.2 beta, when I pause the game, the in-sector music that plays when I am on a ship pauses when I press the pause key. I reverted the game back to 6.1, and in 6.1 pausing does not also pause the music. Was this intentional, or a bug? I would prefer the music not to be paused when I pause the game. I am not sure where in the 6.2 beta this happened, I haven't really played since the 6.2 beta first started and only noticed it when I started it after a long break yesterday.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 19:05

Yes - pause = pause

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 23:14

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 17. Aug 23, 06:51
~ Should the music keep playing when paused? It seems to me that this would be better, but what do you all think?
Personally I prefer that it should stop if the game is paused, depends what else I am doing.
But I just took a look through the 6.20 beta release notes and cant find it mentioned.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 17. Aug 23, 23:56

Since it is an issue new to the beta, moving this over to the beta forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 00:30

I don't know if it's in any way related, but I have a weird music issue too...

I have Music DISABLED (sorry!) However, it will always play in very specific situations: If I am aboard one of the Astrid ships and I save the game, Music will play during the save process, turning off again when done.

I know this isn't the same issue, but perhaps it's weird enough to be related somehow?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 00:35

I just found it kind of jarring to have the music suddenly stop when I paused the game, which I do a lot in X4. I hope this was an unintentional change which gets reverted, and not something that folks look at and think it's a good idea and the devs end up agreeing!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 00:47

By the way, this is not just limited to music, but all sound effects. For example, there is a subtle sound when I scroll in and out of the map, which I hear when it is unpaused, but is silent when paused.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 03:20

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 18. Aug 23, 00:35
I just found it kind of jarring to have the music suddenly stop when I paused the game, which I do a lot in X4. I hope this was an unintentional change which gets reverted, and not something that folks look at and think it's a good idea and the devs end up agreeing!
It is pretty jarring if the music just hard stops every time you pause the game for a moment to navigate the menu. It'd also be sad to lose music when making alterations to station plans, etc. which often requires pausing.

Trajan von Olb
x3tc

Post by Trajan von Olb » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 11:25

adeine wrote:
Fri, 18. Aug 23, 03:20
Falcrack wrote:
It is pretty jarring if the music just hard stops every time you pause the game for a moment to navigate the menu. It'd also be sad to lose music when making alterations to station plans, etc. which often requires pausing.
Yes, it's annoying with the music. Because of the somewhat awkward operation of X, especially in the map, I REGULARLY need the pause button in the middle of the game - when the music then cuts out, I find that awful. Because I really like the X music.

PLEASE let this be just a bug and not a feature! Or make it DISABLE (if necessary via a start option in Steam).

Speaking of which, has anyone tried adding "-nosoundthrottle" to the Steam launch options? Does the music then continue to play?

Greetings Trajan
Mein Traum vom Glück ist der Traum von einer anderen Menschheit. (S. Lem)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 14:03

Falcrack wrote:
You have to realise that the game does get paused for many other reasons except working in the menus. In that aspect it is a welcomed change since my phone has the tendency to ring especially when I am playing and I definitely prefer loudspeakers instead of headphones (which would not let me hear the phone ringing)...

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 14:08

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 18. Aug 23, 14:03
Falcrack wrote:
You have to realise that the game does get paused for many other reasons except working in the menus. In that aspect it is a welcomed change since my phone has the tendency to ring especially when I am playing and I definitely prefer loudspeakers instead of headphones (which would not let me hear the phone ringing)...
Maybe a good solution would be to pause the music when using Esc, and keep playing it when pausing in the ingame interface via the Pause key?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 18. Aug 23, 14:48

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 18. Aug 23, 14:03
Falcrack wrote:
If you want music turned off, you already can press Shift-V, or simply turn down the sound volume on your speakers.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [#1413]Should pausing the game also pause the music?

Post by CBJ » Wed, 23. Aug 23, 16:14

With Beta 9 this should now be fixed. Apparently the music wasn't actually stopped, just playing at zero volume!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”