Station Module request: Observation Lounge

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

Station Module request: Observation Lounge

Post by Scoob »

Hey all,

Ok, so this is likely dead niche but I like being on my station watching the various goings on. This might be standing on a dock, watching ships arrive and leave, perhaps on a Wharf watching new ships build and launch, or, and I really like this one, standing on an open dock, watching my Defence Platform light up some ship. I often place extra docks on any Defence Platforms I build just for the view they offer.

This got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have an Observation Lounge / deck Module. Basically a module with a room, or several, giving a GREAT view in each direction, regular North, East, South and West as well as up and down. Somewhere I can sit and, if I've placed the module in a good place, view the various goings on.

Perhaps this module could double as a Welfare module, giving a slight bonus to crew accrual as it's very much a leisure module.

Anyway, just a random-ish ponder from me as I sit on a Defence Platform of mine and watch it do its thing. Its various guns opening up on enemies as the Station-assigned Fighter wings zoom around, chasing down enemies... fun.
Maze Morgenstern

Re: Station Module request: Observation Lounge

Post by Maze Morgenstern »

Hi Scoob,

i like the idea.

I'm imagining a Luxury-Apartment, something like the Astrid as Stationmodule with Loung, Bar and a Pool.

Perhaps as a Welfaremodule for the Stationmanager that boosts Moral and makes the Manager level up faster.
BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte »

6.x introduced camera views which give option to see things happening elsewhere without additional modules.
Also if standing in the station using either "external view" or alternative player views gives much better (and free) views than 1 additional module alone.

From my perspective this "extra module" would not bring any real value for the game than what it already have with camera views.
adeine
x4

Post by adeine »

This has been suggested before, and is definitely something that would be a great addition for those of use who like station building.

Ideally there could be a number of modules for this purpose (horizontal walkway connection with windows like the venture module, observation platform, etc.) which actually connect to each other if you build them in a sequence. Extra points if there are angled connectors that also work to interface with these. Right now there's not really a good way to join up walkable areas into a connected layout, even though this is something the game can already do - certain dock areas will link up into a single walkable area if placed next to each other.

I understand it's probably low priority considering how little spacelegs gameplay there actually is, but I don't think it would take too much work to implement considering we already have things like the venture module.
Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob »

Here's the thing, I like to view things from somewhere, rather than in a remote camera view. Sure, I use that view a lot, but sometimes it's good to be a bit more immersed in the environment. Having a battle fought out right above your head when standing on a dock is dead cool...well, I think it is lol.

I even like it when I talk to a Faction Rep and their office window happens to overlook a docking area for example, it just makes things feel more real in that moment.

I just find watching the action from that perspective to be awesome. I recall the X2 The Threat scene (and part of the benchmark of course) where you watch the first Kha'ak attack through a corridor window on what looks like a Titan. I loved that perspective, really feeling like your were ON that ship. With X4, we ARE on ships and stations - we are the avatar, no our ships - and this adds a lot to the feeling of scale.

Anyway, it's just a bit of a pipe dream I suppose, but watching a busy station work (regular trade ships and miners coming in and out), with large patrol ships floating around, fighter wings zooming by, then having a fight break out is dead cool What would be GREAT is if NPC's walking around a station and ship reacted to what was going on. Actually actively WATCHED the fighting, ran for cover or rushed to a ship. Immersion!

I think the first person aspect of the game would be enhanced by this, assuming anyone but me likes wandering around and watching what's going on.
Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal »

Scoob wrote: Mon, 20. Nov 23, 15:00 ...

I think the first person aspect of the game would be enhanced by this, assuming anyone but me likes wandering around and watching what's going on.
It can be interesting at times. If the choice is ever spend time on developing/improving leg stuff as opposed in space stuff, I would prefer the latter. That is just my opinion for my favorite space game.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.
Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy »

The first thing that came to mind was the observatory module from the game Subnautica ...
https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Obse ... ubnautica)
... something like this wouldn't be bad to port to X4. Inside there you will surely enjoy it.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.
Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob »

Jeraal wrote: Mon, 20. Nov 23, 20:28 It can be interesting at times. If the choice is ever spend time on developing/improving leg stuff as opposed in space stuff, I would prefer the latter. That is just my opinion for my favorite space game.
Yeah, I'm the same. As this is a likely a very niche thing, I'd not expect it to be added just for the sake of it. However, if Egosoft were to add more station modules and if those modules had windows... well, I can hope lol.
Dj_FRedy wrote: Mon, 20. Nov 23, 21:08 The first thing that came to mind was the observatory module from the game Subnautica ...
https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Obse ... ubnautica)
... something like this wouldn't be bad to port to X4. Inside there you will surely enjoy it.
Not played Subnautica, other that a quick "ooh, what's this" around a friends literally years ago at this point.

For me, it's just a module that can be travelled to that has large windows giving a good, all-round view. It might be a private suite for the player, or something in the "Welfare" category to boost crew accrual further. It certainly doesn't have to be just an observatory.

I've mentioned it in another post, but the Workshop "room" can sometimes be placed quite nicely for viewing. On one of my stations it was (sometimes*) in a good position to see the Gate to an enemy sector, and it's slightly elevated view point made it a great location to watch the fireworks and enemies came through. * Sadly, every few visits, the room would move to elsewhere, which was weird lol.

Anyway, while spaceship stuff is king, I would like to see more rooms on ships and stations - where it makes sense - to enhance my time on foot. I tend to pick somewhere with a good view if I'm going to be dipping in and out of the property list administering stuff.
rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer »

I’d love this. I’m currently using luxury dock for best view but it still has dock related things to obscure view
db48x
x4

Post by db48x »

I too would like to see a few more station modules whose walkable areas link up when they are adjacent.

I’d also like them to make a docking module where the ships and the walkable area are on the outside of a cylinder. The Teladi stations where you dock inside of a cylinder are fun, but the walkable areas are limited to flat patches on the inside of the hull, an obvious cheat. These stations are clearly built with artificial gravity, so let’s see some creativity!
Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 »

I guess modding a module like that is too much work and not that attractive to modders, i too would like some windows and then would place that module really well to have the best view

one can only hope :)

byw Scoob play Subnautica if you can, the games atmosphere is something to really praise, sound is something that elevates that game
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.
ajime
x4

Post by ajime »

I used to keep track of which direction the manager window is facing at just to ensure a fine and nice view when it is constructed. I find that station manager owned by others(transferred after completion) tend to have the opposite side of the view. Personally i like the 3m6s dock as this provides a nice overview if it shows forward instead of aft.
Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus »

+1 vote for multiple viewing windows in stations any which way we can have them.

=Baddieus=
Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob »

Buzz2005 wrote: Tue, 21. Nov 23, 11:17 byw Scoob play Subnautica if you can, the games atmosphere is something to really praise, sound is something that elevates that game
I have watched some gameplay videos - a couple of years ago at least though - and thought it looked interesting. I do quite like survival games, so might check it out if it comes up on sale.
ajime wrote: Tue, 21. Nov 23, 13:56 I used to keep track of which direction the manager window is facing at just to ensure a fine and nice view when it is constructed. I find that station manager owned by others(transferred after completion) tend to have the opposite side of the view. Personally i like the 3m6s dock as this provides a nice overview if it shows forward instead of aft.
Funny thing is, rooms can move between visits. I did a post on this very subject as the "Workshop" room on one of my stations kept moving around. One time I'd visit go to the Workshop - it's an outside space - and get a good view of the Gate I built the station near. Next time I travel to the Workshop and its at the other end of the dock, no gate view, and yet another time it's on a different dock all together. Weird!

This "observation lounge" module wouldn't be large at all, I picture it as a space with elevator access of course, with that access in the centre of the disc-shaped module. We'd then have full 360 degree view all around, via large windows. The ceiling would also be mostly transparent. I'd make it a "leisure" room, with features such as fountains and the like for crew R&R. Mostly though, to provide a good view for the player.

I like the idea of being able to place such modules so they overlook other station features. I.e. I might place one to get a good view of the Large docking cradles, so I can see ships being built. Perhaps another so I can observe an E Dock in action, another in view of an 8x M Dock or, as in my original post, simply providing a good viewpoint for a Gate or Superhighway. As mentioned, I love watching my Defence Platforms shred incoming enemies.

I was standing on one of my Defence Platforms last night - regular 3M6S dock - and while it didn't give me a good vantage point on the gate, I could see many of the station's defence modules. From this dock I could see both my own and allied ships patrolling around the station, and enemies. Due to the station's placement, enemies would fly over the station, and it's quite spectacular seeing a station open fire on a target from that perspective. Plus seeing the behaviours of other ships is dead cool too. It's just the perspective of being on foot when such events happen that give a real sense of scale.
Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus »

Additional thought on the "lounge" idea is not only the stable viewing area, but lounges for different types of employee's.
Captains Lounge, Engineers Lounge, & Mangers Lounge where you can find those specific employees available to be hired.

=Baddieus=
Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob »

Baddieus wrote: Wed, 22. Nov 23, 14:32 Additional thought on the "lounge" idea is not only the stable viewing area, but lounges for different types of employee's.
Captains Lounge, Engineers Lounge, & Mangers Lounge where you can find those specific employees available to be hired.

=Baddieus=
That'd be a very useful ability of such a module. I'd suggest that one module would attract the best employees of all disciplines though, but perhaps divided into areas within the module. I.e. there's a Captains hang-out area, where they gather to tell tall tales of their exploits, and drink beer. Another where Managers hang out to discuss spreadsheets, and drink beer. Also, one for the humble service crew, where they discuss the latest technological advancements, and drink beer. Shit, this module one of those "Zoned" Bars, where different groups gather in their own corners lol.

One location where the player can soak in the views - depending on where they placed the module - and find the most experienced potential crew members of each discipline that stations currently houses would be a nice addition.

Any other thoughts on what such modules might offer? We have so far:

1) Views, the most important one as this is my topic lol.
2) A gathering point for the better potential hires on a player's station. A one-stop shop for a specific recruit if you will and, perhaps, the ONLY place to hire an experienced manager.
3) Bonus to crew recruitment (it's a Bar)
4) ...?

Let's sell this Module idea to Egosoft :)
sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik »

On Terran modules the view could come from almost every module too. Even the connection modules look like they have view ports.
Would love to see the bar actually open and maybe get missions from the bartender.

Oh, just remembered an issue with TER Docks. Sometimes get NPC transport missions where the NPC is on the other side of the S dock platform
and there is no way to get to the other side. Any chance for a tunnel(s) through from one side to the other.
Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob »

Bumping this old topic of mine just to say thanks. v7.0 Beta shows Egosoft listen even to niche requests. Not tried out the new module yet - I started fresh, so still raising funds - but looking forward to it.

I think it's good to revisit a suggestion / request post when the Devs have listened. I'm feeling all special *

* so don't pop my bubble and say you were already planning this lol.
chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie »

I just finish building those - in case someone wants to see them, I posted a (spoiler protected) post at the german board: viewtopic.php?f=147&p=5220649#p5220649

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!
Tammancktall: Es ist eine Ehre für sie mich kennenzulernen...
CBJ: Thanks for the savegame. We will add it to our "crazy saves" collection [..]

:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts
kuantem
x4

Post by kuantem »

The Conservatory Observation Deck on Tidebreak is quite nice. Would indeed be very cool if this was an available module for player stations

Return to “X4: Foundations”