The hunt for station-embedded lockboxes

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ezarkal
x4

The hunt for station-embedded lockboxes

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 31. May 17, 02:52

Hi everyone,
Some of you may have tried to find some of those lockboxes hidden in the various nooks and cranny of every stations. Even with the various coordinates located on the wiki , it can often prove quite challenging.
A few players have mentioned potential interest in screenshots and descriptions of the lockboxes locations, but without a proper place to document them it’s pretty hard to know where to get the info.
So I pulled together a google spreadsheet with the information provided in the wiki, so people would have a place to report newfound boxes. Here’s the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The sheet includes columns to report the station module the box is in, URL to screenshots and map screenshots and any additional info deemed necessary.

The beauty of google spreadsheets is that everyone can edit them if allowed to, and it supports multiple users at the same time. So feel free to add anything you find. I’ll slowly try to combine the screenshots into a single database that could hopefully eventually get stored somewhere more permanent.

Once completed, I’ll ask one of the wiki moderator to include the new info in the wiki (and to move the screenshot database if possible).

EDIT:
Completed!
Many thanks to those helped me. Special credits goes to Deathifier, who found the 15 or so missing crates at the end. (Death, I'm sorry it took me so long to finish updating the spreadsheet. I've been busy.)
Last edited by Ezarkal on Sun, 6. May 18, 14:23, edited 20 times in total.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 1. Jun 17, 01:50

Noted & TVVM for your contribution! I've asked Sparks to do the appropriate links as while I can mod I'm not good at creating pages.. there may be some special tweaking needing to happen between linking up the Google sheet & the Confluence wiki backbone (with appropriate security checks etc)

If & when this is completed, maybe I can use a similar framework for my asteroid recognition chart that's currently in Word doc only..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 04:54

Hi guys,

I have a few questions.

1- Does anyone know how to get these kind of big airlocks open? There is a couple of instances where I'm pretty sure the only place the lockbox could be is behind these doors, but so far I have no success getting through. I'm half afraid it's a M-trader dock, which would mean I would have to send an M trader and hope for it to dock at the right place.

2- Flying around these immense space stations is pretty fun, but it would be way better without the damn sirens you hear everywhere, all the time. Anyone knows of a mod that can silence them?

3- I'm looking for a way to get on neutral terms with xenons and the various pirate factions so I can scan their stations in peace. (I know it's impossible in vanilla game.) I have half a mind to just load up with novadrones and blast their defenses piece by piece, but it would get old pretty fast. Plus, while it would work for pirates, xenon space tend to be too crowded.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 06:19

1. these are the s/M docks, yes. but i think even if they open there was an invisible wall to prevent entry. also i doubt you find anything there.

2. should be simple to do. if someone wants to make it feel free to contact me for instructions if needed.

3. simplest way would be save-edit. relations between factions are stored almost at the beginning.

Also hint from my side: when you are in station Scan Mode (and even better the Station is mostly scanned) then you can spot these lockboxes easier: they are the black dots on the then-colorful Station ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 7. Jun 17, 14:06

Thanks for the quick answers.

Concerning point 2, I might get on that eventually, but I'm too busy right now.
UniTrader wrote:Also hint from my side: when you are in station Scan Mode (and even better the Station is mostly scanned) then you can spot these lockboxes easier: they are the black dots on the then-colorful Station ;)
I've already read that somewhere (probably from you). It does work nicely when the box is at the surface of station modules, but not so much when it's hidden further in. It also allows for clearer screenshots when you're in a place with very low lighting. I keep switching between the two mods as I search.

Edit: typos

Edit2: Concerning point 1, I could at least confirm that there are no invisible walls inside the S/M docks. I could enter one such dock along a M freighter in FoO). There's at least two crates that I really can't figure out where they are unless they are in such docks (entry 42 and 135), and considering how some other crates were hidden I wouldn't be surprized. Entry 149 is a telling example of that. I guess I'll have to get crafty to verify if they are there or not....
I won't have time to work on this over the next few weeks, though. (My vacations are coming, and I'll be far from home.)
Still, this begs the question: What happens if you get trapped inside one of these docks? XD

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 04:10

Now at 225 / 241.

Well, never thought I'd get this far. Let's just say we've had a lot of poor weather over the past few weeks. Plus, once you get the hang of it, it gets pretty easy to use the coordinates to narrow down your search area. (Plus, dumb luck helped a lot. I mean a lot.)
I doubt I'll get this any further than it is right now, though. I've made at least one solid attempt at finding most of the remaining crates. I think a few of them simply don't show in every games (if at all), or gets destroyed before you can get to them.

Many thanks to those whoever it was that helped me near the end. It's highly appreciated.

Can anyone confirm that the station numbering is consistent from one game to the other for zones with multiple stations of the same type? (ie: energy array IV is always energy array IV) If so, I'll update the "station" entry where concerned.

Otherwise, it can be linked to the wiki. Unless someone wants to pick up where I left.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 04:12

Now... what to do with 50 000+ chocolate rations.

Anyone wants to join Mr. Otani in a chocolate-induced coma? :D

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 29. Jul 17, 12:51

:D

solntcev
x4

Post by solntcev » Mon, 31. Jul 17, 15:38

Incredible amount of effort, thank you.

Charon_A

Post by Charon_A » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 11:12

Amazing work guys, thank you so much for compiling the list solntcev and Ezarkal for making it much easier to use with the screenshots! Awesome!
Yesterday tried to find the coolant container in Lookout Alpha\Azure Barrier\PMC Metalworks Yard - almost lost all hope, today looked at a screenie and found it in a minute :P
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
---Mark Twain---

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 8. Aug 17, 14:20

I'm glad to hear it's being used! :D

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 13:44

Charon_A wrote:Amazing work guys, thank you so much for compiling the list solntcev and Ezarkal for making it much easier to use with the screenshots! Awesome!
Yesterday tried to find the coolant container in Lookout Alpha\Azure Barrier\PMC Metalworks Yard - almost lost all hope, today looked at a screenie and found it in a minute :P
Hi,

Yes, very helpful resource. Unfortunately, when I started to look for JDCool after the main campaign, one of the lockboxes in Albion and the only one in deVries were already gone. I couldn't find the zone in Cold Star containing the lockbox, and I'm not yet willing to try HoL.

So I'm stuck at 17 units.

cu
Rainer

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 15:08

I think if the boxes gets blown up by something, player or not, they don't respawn. Since the station containing the JD coolant box in DeVries is under near constant attack by reivers, I wouldn't be surprised of it gets destroyed after a while.
Edit: That being said, I've also seen boxes on destroyed modules. So I'm not 100% sure of the exact rules.

If you already found the other boxes in Albion, then your best bet it definitively the one in Cold Star. You'll have to explore a bit to find the zone, though.

Or, look at a map. It depends on the level of spoilers you allow yourself. :wink:

Otherwise, there are other methods to farm up JD coolant:
Spoiler
Show
If memory serves, blowing up some xenon weapon platforms frequently yields a few units of coolant. These platforms are usually located in remotes zones of the HoL DLC (home of light, cold star and torride)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 20:14

JD Coolant is often dropped by pirate capital ships, both combat ones and freighters (not sure about mission-spawned ones, though - I simply hunt the ones that operate in the world normally.)

JD Components (Rare) are dropped in large quantities by Xenon weapon platforms, such as the ones North of Nirin Treaty in West Gate, Home of Light.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 05:52

RAVEN.myst wrote:JD Coolant is often dropped by pirate capital ships, both combat ones and freighters (not sure about mission-spawned ones, though - I simply hunt the ones that operate in the world normally.)

JD Components (Rare) are dropped in large quantities by Xenon weapon platforms, such as the ones North of Nirin Treaty in West Gate, Home of Light.
Hi,

I'm still trying to build a steady automatic income in the "Home" systems, so I haven't yet explored the new systems. Pirate capitals tend to jump away before I manage to take their jump drive out.

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 07:27

RainerPrem wrote:Pirate capitals tend to jump away before I manage to take their jump drive out.
Yes, I find it best to alpha-strike the jumpdrive with a Hellbuster or Tristar, or two (when the JD is near to the engines, it often shares the same force-field projector/s, in which case it's then quick to also knock out the engines before the target goes off boosting halfway across the sector.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 14:26

RainerPrem wrote:Pirate capitals tend to jump away before I manage to take their jump drive out.
Mk.3 plasma canon with damage-increasing weapon mod is your best friend. :D

Otherwise, as Raven.myst said, Tristars are pretty good at wiping out subsystems. A well-placed novadrone will also do the trick.

Alternatively, since you want to blow up ships for their parts and not capture them, get your own capital ships to wipe out the pirates.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 6. May 18, 14:31

Ok, I know I'm a bit of a necro for digging up this thread, but it's just to mention that the spreadsheet is complete, and every crates have been found. You have access to screenshots and map position for all of them, safe for those few crates located on xenon asteroids in Torride. (They are pretty easy to find once you found the right asteroid.)

Many thanks to those who helped me fill in the sheet. Special thanks to Deathifier who actually went so far as to build a mod to help him locate the 15 or so last missing crates.

If any moderator wants to integrate the sheet to the stuff that's already in the wiki, feel free to do so.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 7. May 18, 05:42

Ezarkal wrote:Ok, I know I'm a bit of a necro for digging up this thread, but it's just to mention that the spreadsheet is complete, and every crates have been found. You have access to screenshots and map position for all of them, safe for those few crates located on xenon asteroids in Torride. (They are pretty easy to find once you found the right asteroid.)

Many thanks to those who helped me fill in the sheet. Special thanks to Deathifier who actually went so far as to build a mod to help him locate the 15 or so last missing crates.

If any moderator wants to integrate the sheet to the stuff that's already in the wiki, feel free to do so.
GA-REAT!!! Many Thanks. Is that still the same Google-Document?

cu
Rainer

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 7. May 18, 20:36

Yes it is!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”