X3 Multiplayer Mod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Commander Zane
x3tc

X3 Multiplayer Mod?

Post by Commander Zane » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 04:30

One of my friends told me that a multiplayer mod for Oblivion was released a while ago. Searching through a Darkstar One forum said that they might make a multiplayer mod for their game after it's been released. Has anyone else thought of a MP mod for X3?

BobSmalls

Post by BobSmalls » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 04:55

Multiplayer means no pausing, no saving and loading, and no SETA. It also means many of the ships would need rebalancing, because intelligent opponents would assuredly learn and exploit your ships' weaknesses.

I expect I would be killed by missiles very frequently.

Still, it would be fun for an hour or two, to have a deathmatch-style game of X3 against some friends. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to come out, though. I'm sure it would be incredibly difficult for anyone but EgoSoft, and I haven't heard of them working on anything MP.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 05:11

Has anyone thought about doing a MP mod for X3? Yes, tons of people have. And the anwser has always been, it's not possible. The only way we COULD possibly do it is so slow and bulky that it's not worth it. And sense X3 doesn't have scripts that have functionality that can change how the game works, we can't add it ourselves. X3 is not a very mod-friendly game, nor X2 or X1.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 05:50

Galaxy613 wrote: X3 is not a very mod-friendly game,
Actually, it is, but not like Oblivion or Morrowind with its Plugins where you can stash them like crazy (I had over 250 plugins in Morrowind and over 80 in Oblivion).
I guess the main problem for an MP was already mentioned in the 2nd posting:
No SETA - and this means VERY long travellings. Imagine you buy an SPP XL in Light of Heart and want this to be transported to Antigone memorial - If the mamoth doesn't have a jumpdrive, you have to order that thing in the morning, before you go to work.. it might arrive just before you go to bed.. :cry:

Saving and loading would surely be possible, but loading would always require the ok of all the others - and it surely can be a pain in the ass if one dude wants to load every 2 minutes..

But as for a good dogfight, I wouldn't mind X3 in MP..
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

Commander Zane
x3tc

Post by Commander Zane » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 06:00

Ah, I see.
The Darkstar One community's actually going to try making their game multiplayer through a mod, and Darkstar One is big...really big. Almost 400 different sectors to travel through.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 12:21

Such a feat would be darned near impossible.

There is just so much in the X-verse that just synchronising stations and their supplies across a networked game would take up a large amount of bandwidth, then factor in civilian ships, projectiles, players, a texting system for players, all military ships, mod synchronisation/compatability issues, getting over the SETA problem (you could just abolish it). Somehow implement a new saving system, implement a way of locating the other players etc.
The whole thing would be a nightmare, made virtually impossible by the lack of any SDK or public release of the code base (and thank god for that). Though just like you I want the chance to compete against my friends and maybe take them down in the odd dogfight or two, but we have to accept that thats guna have to be saved for another game.
:(
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

JONO51
x3

Post by JONO51 » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 15:42

if a game like darkstar one makes one thats good then surely someone would be able to do something similar for x3

Serial Kicked
x3tc

Post by Serial Kicked » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 16:14

Did you sometime try to make a search before posting such topics? Making a multiplayer mod or script is strictly not possible with the current game engine. The only possible solution, would be to write a painfully hard to write external program + a mod to remove SETA + Tons of scripts that monitor all game stats. Processor killer, bandwidth killer, and tons of other issues that make the project a total utopy.
if a game like darkstar one makes one thats good then surely someone would be able to do something similar for x3
If you say so :roll:

In DS-One the economy isn't dynamic, the player can't build things or have a fleet. There's probably no SETA. And probably that DS-One already include multiplayer functionalities in its engine to allow this. DS-One is a far more simpler game than X3.
X3:TC/AP Pirate Guild 3 - Yaki Armada 2 - Anarkis Defense System

Anarkis Gaming HQ
Independent Game Development
X3 Scripting and Modding Station

MightyOdin
x3tc

Post by MightyOdin » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 16:51

i havto agree DS-One is more Freelancer than X3. :wink: the difrance betwine the games are big in all ways.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 16:57

The problem with modding X3 to do muiltplayer is NOT a balance issue, it's a source code issue. There is NO CODE, what so ever, inside X3 that will allow it to do muiltplayer. Morrowind, Oblivion, Dark Star One, and other single player games all have bits and pieces in there that'll help to make it online, there is NOTHING like that in X3.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 17:03

theres nothing in x3 that would allow it to connect via a network. So the only way would be to use an external program.
Which means you need that to send and receive data from the game which isn't exactly quick.

althou it would be possible to sync stations within the universe, you cant really go beyond that

MightyOdin
x3tc

Post by MightyOdin » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 17:24

In fact i think the game is bether single player, du to the fact that in single player one can have more seecret's like the ships one can grabb if the game were multiplayer or a big online game, all the seecrets will either be camped really baad. or they would havto be removed frome the game.
also we have thous that is out to ruin the funn for all the others that just go about to mess upp things.
that happend in eve online erly on hven i were playing that game asap one got out from the noob erea one got blown upp by the ones that had played the game for a loong time, with BIG destroyer's :evil: and shutsh.
it wer so baad in eve at one time that i cuit the game and i have promised my self not to even go back to the game no mather wath.
and that would probably be the result to X3 in a big online game to in anny case egosoft must then have a dussin moderators to keep it clean from abuse and shuts and from pep's that cheat.

voxol
x3

Post by voxol » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 18:25

I suppose what would be cool, given all these ship editors/importers, is if someone made a completely different engine based on the bare bones X3 engine. Then people could import a selection of ships from their savegame to the new game, and deathmatch it out.

Huge project that will never happen though.

Kurt Shur'Tugal
x3

Post by Kurt Shur'Tugal » Mon, 7. Aug 06, 18:41

also even if they made it so that when u quit the ai took over for you, you would probably find out that when u returne 1 morning all your ships and factories have benn um "pirated" raided and destroyed, and even if they could work around all this it would probab;y be the end of great mods like Xtended

Commander Zane
x3tc

Post by Commander Zane » Tue, 8. Aug 06, 00:31

In DS-One the economy isn't dynamic, the player can't build things or have a fleet. There's probably no SETA. And probably that DS-One already include multiplayer functionalities in its engine to allow this. DS-One is a far more simpler game than X3.
Darkstar One is going to be released without multiplayer. That's something they never even considered adding to their game because of how enormus it is.

Though it really is more simple than X3. :roll:

Wizlawz
x3

Post by Wizlawz » Sun, 27. Apr 14, 17:24

idk... EVE online does well....in X3 reunion for MP just remove all the npc's except for the "police" or what would be the equivalent to EVE Onlines' CONCORD. dont remove Kha'ak or zenon.

EVE has a player based / controlled economy except for a couple of things (in the big picture).

all we would need (and i speak with ignorance because i do not have the knowledge) is someone to "crack" X3 or the series.... they did it for Skyrim and now there is skyrim online ....Bethesda listened...but egosoft does not.

what we really need is an EGOSOFT dev to really take a look at EVE online and remodel X3 and the X series after it.

without having knowledge of coding / scripting / modding obviously i have no clue what i speak of.... but i really do not see what an issue would be....i am sure X would not have to be remade from the ground up.

i have seen quite a few X-players in EVE and they do very well....although they do not seem to last long due to the subscription fees of EVE.

i believe all egosoft would have to do is put up a server for MP

X is a great game and the only reason i dont play EVE consistently is the subscription fees.

if some were to create a hack / crack / or whatever it is called for X multiplayer i would be all over it.

such a shame X never went MP..... EVE took the spotlight..... wouldn't you like X to be competing with EVE?.....guess not.

X has so much potential i just can not believe it is being wasted.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”