[SCRIPT] Overtune BBS V1.50 : Updated 19/06/2006

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

What do you think of the current pricing

Poll ended at Sun, 27. Nov 05, 12:32

Its too cheap
31%
i think its about right
51%
it should be cheaper
17%

Total votes: 35

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Update 1.50

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 19. Jun 06, 05:03

V1.50
* Added hull damage when shields are depeleted
* Added random damage when overtuning
* Fixed displaying of Unknown object instead of mechanics name

New update
both the random damage and hull damage can be disabled if your choose, from the AL settings.

There is also a link on the first page for the bug tracker if anyone found any bugs or new features can post on there

God-Demis
xr

Post by God-Demis » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 08:39

1. The cost for overtuning is very low compared to the benefit you get. I made my ship going from 120 to 258 so far and the only reason it is not faster yet is because I havent got many BBS messages.

I think that the cost for overtuning should be at least 3 times the cost of the ship.

2. Looking at the ship stats, and using some scripts(Stevios shipyard and weapons dealer), alongside with overtune, I realised that you can also overtune the cargo bay.

Buy an Unknown ship that cost about 1,5 - 2 mil cr.This is the terran Thor. Fully upgrade its speed and its rudder.NOT its cargo. fly around and try to find overtune BBS messages. Overtune it. Now go to an equipment dock. Go to the upgrades section. See those bars??? Upgrade cargo= -500, upgrade speed= - xx(the amount of overtune you have made it), rudder optimisation= -xx(the same). Those negative numbers mean that your ship is above its maximum specifications and will be lowered. Speed and rudder, we overtuned them. But the cargo? It is already overtuned when you buy it, so there HAS to be a way to overtune cargo.

Still I think that the overtune should be a lot more expensive. Surely people think it is OK, because they want it cheap to make everything easier for them. But when you are at a point where money is not a real problem...well you know what I will say.
''Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly''

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 4. Aug 06, 16:13

remember the price does increase each time you use it.

and there are drawbacks to having it done and can end up costing you alot more.

the tuning can cause damage to the ship or equipment, it might sometimes reduce your speed instead of increasing it, etc

Relief
x3

Post by Relief » Fri, 8. Sep 06, 19:19

I was wondering what the speed damnage is (at what rate for what classes)

and what is the way things are priced (compared to the fist version)

- Relief

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 8. Sep 06, 19:21

the prices havn't hcnaged since earlier versions. each time you overtune the ship, the price increases for next time.
the price is bassed on your ships cost.

the speed damage depends on the ship and is randomly selected, its usually around 2 times the max speed, the more you go over, the more damage is incurred. Hull damage only happens when theres no shields left

ThorOfTerra
x4

Post by ThorOfTerra » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 11:48

Hi,
sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem. after installing the script v1.5. I see in BBS the offer from the mechanic, but the text isn't complet, it is cut in the message. Also there isn't a button to accept the offer.
I uninstalled the script and save the game, then i install again, with the same result. I'm playing the german version of X3.

regards
thor
Ruhm ist vergänglich,
aber Namenlosigkeit ist für immer.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 11:51

sounds like a mistake in the german text file, ill have a look c if i can see a problem with it

ThorOfTerra
x4

Post by ThorOfTerra » Sun, 24. Sep 06, 20:59

Do you need my t and script directorys ? or save game ?
Ruhm ist vergänglich,

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 25. Sep 06, 08:45

no not yet, ill just look through the text file i have here

ThorOfTerra
x4

Post by ThorOfTerra » Fri, 29. Sep 06, 20:44

I make a new installation of x3 and all my scripts. But i have the same problem with this script.

Thor
Ruhm ist vergänglich,

LuckyKnight
x3

Post by LuckyKnight » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 11:43

Hi Cycrow.

This BBS Overtuning Oppurtunity is really a great idea.

As the script works already as a sort of BBS Mission, why not enhance this stuff to some "little" mission stories?

(Not meant as a replacement of Your original script, just as an addition or even better as seperate script that relies on this one, so ppl can chose what to use, eventually both, normal and story-based Ovetunings)

Story-based Overtuning will also bring some more life into the game, it will be more fun to really "earn" this little xtras rather than just pick the oppurtunity as an BBS Advert and only pay some credits for getting it.

Some may say: The danger of receiving damages to the ship which get the tunings is enough for me - so these should just use the original one.

P.S. I know that with patch 2.00.1/2 EGOSOFT brought some "legal" ovetunings into the game.
I don't wanna copy their method (just add a hint on BBS, where You can get the coordinats of the tuning containers), but if getting some overtuning by picking up those containers is scriptable, this will end up for two methods of adding overtunings by a script.

Method 1: Your original way to add the upgrades by just taking the "mission" at BBS. (or as reward for Mission Sucess)

Method 2: Adding the tunings into space by script (so the player can find them, if he flys to the given mission coordinates or if he has destroyed the mission target or ....

Further detail for mission examples will follow soon.

EDIT

Missions based on BBS-Reward:

example Mission Type Mercanary:

Simple version:

BBS-entry:

Hello, my name is $Author$ from $HomeStation$ in $HomeSector$ .
One of our former employees named $VICTIM$ has stolen some confidential construction plans for a new ship wrap.
We have information, that he is heading from sector $VSECST$ to "target station" in sector $VSECFN$, where he wants to sell the plans to one of our competitors.

Hunt $VICTIM$ down by all means before he reaches his destination.
Return here to $HomeStation$ to get your $REWARD$ and a special upgrade for Your enginetunings.

Explanation: This is a simple standard mission. Only the given reward has to be altered from an amount of credits to the engine tuning.
Should not to be to complicated to script ;

EDIT #2

Complex version:

You get the "hunt down target" mission as descriped in the simple version and you can fullfill the mission as a normal mission with a normal award in credits (no supertuning here).
It seems just to be a normal average original EGOSOFT BBS mission.

But when Your given mission target comes in range, things are changing.

If Target is first time in scanner range, a scrippted trigger will be activated:
Trigger "Target 1st time in Scanner range": generate an "incoming message" for the player:

INCOMING MESSAGE:

Hello, my name is $VICTIM$. I know that You have a contract with $Author$ from $HomeStation$ in $HomeSector$ to hunt me down, cause I should have stolen something belonging to them.

If You spare me, I will promise You some extra upgrades for your $playership$ you normally can't get at legal shipyards, equipment docks or trading stations.

Will You agree?

Yes / No Button required to accept / cancel new mission.

Note: This message should be sent only once, of course not every time, the target gets in range.

Choice No:
The first mission is still active, you can hunt the target down at your will and return for normal credits reward to the the original $Homestation$
(No risk, no special fun :wink: )

Choice Yes:
Original Mission is set to FAILED!

(Maybe it's possible to have 2 ways of "Mission Failed":

The "normal one" how it is set just in case you fail the mission in a normal original BBS mission.

The "special one", when You accept the Mission of the $target$.
Set a penality to the player:
maybe set the $HomeStation$ of the $author$ to enemy/red
or generate some reputation dropdown by the race of the original missions author.

If You accept the Incoming Message by pushing "YES" / Accept
You get a new message / mission.

Special mission part 1: Reaching the station of the new mission client

INCOMING MESSAGE

Hey $playername$, I'm glad you're finally a reasonable man. I promise You will never regret this decission if You manage it to follow me to $deststation$ in $destsector$ in $timelife$. Once there, I will go into further details, what can be done for Your $playership$.
Unfortunatly it is likely that we get some trouble by a couple of bountyhunters consisting of "enemy ship configuration" hired by "Station"

[if its possible to set this to the station of the former mission author it would be fine ;) ]

Will see You there. God luck. $author$ over and out.

[former $target$ : maybe it's possible to import the name of the original target. Have no clue how to achieve this, but Cycrow will probably know how.]

(can take the normal delivery mission with promised accounters as sample, maybe ad a liefetime in which the player must reach the station.)

When / if Player dockes at $Deststation$ send Message:

Mission Success (just in time)

Hello, $playername$. Nice to see You here. It's me, $author$ from $Deststation$. I'm glad You managed it to dock here just in time. Got any problems with Bountyhunters out there, got you? About our deal. Can You just wait some mizzuras? I have to check something before.

Accept / Cancel
[like in the taxi missions]

Mission Failed (timelimit off)
Hello, $playername$. Nice to see You here. It's me, $author$ from $Deststation$. I'm glad You managed it to dock here at least. Unfortunatly time was running out. It's no longer a secure place for me here. Over and Out.

[Mission ends here]

EDIT #3

Special mission part 2: Deliver the demanded Components

If part 1 ends with mission success, we can go into deeper details how to get installed certain ovetunings.
Maybe it will be nice to have a menu to choose, which sort of tuning you wanna get
(think about the reputation boost BBS messages, where You can choose between different values of credits to spend on resulting in different results)

The simple way surely is only to provide one sort of overtuning fixed by the mission. (which leads of course to write more single BBS-Stories only to vary with the type of tuning)
Let's first try it the simple way :wink:

INCOMING MESSAGE:

Ah, it's me again, $author$ from $homebase$. Glad that you decided to wait here for me. I have good news for You. I managed to sell this plans I got earlier and checked an opportunity to get You some special overtuning for your $playership$. I talked to an ol' friend of mine, a talented $racename$ and he promised me to tune your ship. All he needs are some components. he need ... parts.

[Take the old x2 Sick Princess Qest for example. It's in the t/440001.xml at

Code: Select all

- <page id="1292" title="Sick princess Q192" descr="Mission originally by BalaGi" voice="0">

I think it's ok to be payed for the components, if the upgrade must be payed at a reasonable prize at time of installation, otherwise no credits for the delievery ;-) ]

Mission part 2 completed :-)

Special mission part 3: bring Technican to Station

The good news are: All components are ready for construction.
The bad news: The Technican is not here ;-)

part 3 a: Fly to the Station X in Sector x to meet the technican.
part 3 b; Bring him back to the Homebase.

[Maybe as a modification of a taxidriver mission: Mission 1 fly to Station A and wait for mission B. Mission B: return to the Homebase. ]

Special mission part 4: Finally get the ovetuning(s)

That's quite simple: use the original BBS ovetune Script to install the tunings :wink:

That should be just a small example, how a story set of missions could look like.

What's Your Opinion, guys (looking at all talented scripters out there in the x-universe :roll:
Last edited by LuckyKnight on Mon, 4. Dec 06, 15:32, edited 3 times in total.
proud to be ***modified*** ;)

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 12:34

Nice ideas above! I'd like to contribute by suggesting that this script incorporates the rudder/engine upgrades that 2.0.2 adds into the game.

Since it's now an actual ware/object, why not create BBS missions in the vein of "Ship is hauling experimental engine upgrades, sector patrols heightened in sectors Argon Prime to Paranid Prime", then it's up to the player to hunt down the convoy. Shooting and destroying the convoy will yield said package exactly like the spawned engine/rudder upgrades...

LuckyKnight
x3

Post by LuckyKnight » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 13:04

arcana75 wrote:Nice ideas above! I'd like to contribute by suggesting that this script incorporates the rudder/engine upgrades that 2.0.2 adds into the game.

Since it's now an actual ware/object, why not create BBS missions in the vein of "Ship is hauling experimental engine upgrades, sector patrols heightened in sectors Argon Prime to Paranid Prime", then it's up to the player to hunt down the convoy. Shooting and destroying the convoy will yield said package exactly like the spawned engine/rudder upgrades...
That's the way I wanna see the (new?) Egosoft (over)tuning containers/ wares used. :D

I will write more detailed example missions of both styles (old fashioned BBS method / new style container overtunings) and add it to my original post just above this one.

I think, we should have more different missions than just the normal "run an hit the target" Assasination Missions.

I like the FIGHT / TRADE / BUILD / THINK style of the game, so these special missions should reflect this.

So let's make these missions not only for fighters. Traders, Explorers, Passenger-Sevices are other roles.

I also think about more complex missions (creating a little story around with more options to choose for the player: for example: You can hunt down the target and get the normal cash or take the offer of the target (by com signal or incoming message, when it's in scanner range) for another mission. So You can fail the original mission (and maybe get a rep loss by this race/or station turns red) but get a new mission for your former target with a better reward (such as tunings).

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 19:52

if you right up some basic mission missions ill look into adding them when i get the chance

LuckyKnight
x3

Post by LuckyKnight » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 20:19

Cycrow wrote:if you right up some basic mission missions ill look into adding them when i get the chance
I can write some Basic Missions and I will take the Original BBS Missions as template. But I only can write this t-file related stuff, not the belonging scripts :wink:

have to look into all this $this$ / $there$ / $homestation$ / stuff, too.
May take some time. ... I'll post again when I have some missions ready.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 4. Dec 06, 20:22

just the text is file and the basic outline of the mission, then ill script it in

Kaze
x3

Post by Kaze » Wed, 20. Dec 06, 23:33

as for the afterburner, well i did make them work together, so the overtune can detect when the after burner is on so it doesn't reduce its shields, its possible i missed in the hull damage part. If thats the case then ill add it there too to prevent it.
This feature does not seem to work. It might be a conflict with another script but for some reason the 'shield draining' feature does not disengage when you use the afterburner. I got one overtuning for my khaak M3 (speed boosted by 46) and tested it with afterburner. With the 'uses shield power to obtain greater speeds" option turned ON, even with just the one overtuning the shield draining speed is doubled! So in other words it does not detect that afterburner is being used =(

I hope you can have a look at the script and/or maybe suggest why its not working properly.

As a side not, I was looking at the XML files within the script, and I think that several 'calls' were made to a script file that was not included in the .spk! I might be WAY wrong, but it might be worth checking out! :)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 00:33

its possible i've missed the fiels when creating the package, which are the scripts you think are being called that arn't included ?

Kaze
x3

Post by Kaze » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 14:52

It seems I was wrong, they weren't <call>s but <var>iables that I was looking at. Just trying to figure it out as I go, sorry about that mistake.
But the afterburner detection still doesnt work :shock:
For now I've temporarily solved the matter by switching shield draining off and making sure I dont overtune beyond 200% so the shields wouldnt be drainin' anyway. Dont wanna feel like i'm cheating :P

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 21. Dec 06, 14:54

ill look at it when i get chance too. But i have relised what the problem is.

there were changes made to the varibles in the bonus pack. so the afterburner detection only works with the old unsigned version, and not the signed version.

so ill have to change it in the overtune script

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”