[PROGRAM] Map Generator

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Farnham's Legacy

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

Joubarbe
xr

[PROGRAM] Map Generator

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 19:51

Procedural map generator for X3 Farnham's Legacy. The vanilla game is untouched, no scripts are overwritten. This is pure X3 vanilla on random galaxies.

Requires the Unofficial Patch.

Please visit the Nexus page for presentation and download links.

Recommended scripts (were included in "Stardust"):
Last edited by Joubarbe on Mon, 3. Jul 23, 09:26, edited 3 times in total.

alexalsp
x4

Re: Stardust - Procedural Map Generator (BETA)

Post by alexalsp » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 20:28

How are things with the possibility of localization?

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 20:42

That's on my TODO list for the final release. It will be done, but not in the current beta (only the name of the factions are actually done).

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sun, 11. Jun 23, 23:50

Very good, just wonderful, thank you. :D :x3:

Joubarbe
xr

Re: [PROGRAM] Map Generator

Post by Joubarbe » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 08:47

Uploaded 1.0 (with fixes and localisation). I've removed the name "Stardust" as it is no longer a mod, but just a map generator.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Mon, 3. Jul 23, 13:20

Thanks for the update and localization.

In the sector menu Owner / Sector without translation.
When deleting a sector, maybe it would be better to make a confirmation? Or option: Confirm sector deletion?
Spoiler
Show

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sat, 16. Sep 23, 09:56

When will the map generator update be available?

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 15. Nov 23, 08:43

Translation updated in 1.1 (Nexus Link)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 15. Nov 23, 14:04

Joubarbe wrote:
Wed, 15. Nov 23, 08:43
Translation updated in 1.1 (Nexus Link)
Thank you so much. :)

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Wed, 15. Nov 23, 21:44

Looks interesting. So if I just run MapGen.exe, create a random random galaxy and save, I will immediately be good to go in a new game.

There is no tweaking I need to do to the map, or issues I might need to fix?

Also I had fl set up to use TC and AP plots viewtopic.php?f=201&t=453938 but after creating a map I do not seem to be able to start Fl+TC+AP games. Can I switch between the two, will my existing FL+TC+AP games be affected?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Thu, 16. Nov 23, 00:03

Everything is explained on Nexus.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x3terranconflict/mods/121
Can generate maps from 15x15 to 24x20, with customisable sector density.
Sectors can be added or removed.
Sector connections can be customised. By default, some sectors are not connected, but most of them are.
All factions and corporations from the Unoffical Patch can be set as owners (including Player).
Pirate bases can be added or removed.
Sectors can be set as RSL.
The Xenon Hub is always included in every map, but it can be deactivated in the New Game custom menu, in-game.
All maps are fully generated, meaning than when you start the game, there are no additional processes to run. All stations, ships, gates, HSAPs, they're all here, in the map file. All plots, obviously, are deactivated (all station missions are still available).
Stardust saves generated maps in both JSON and XML format. All maps are available in-game without any tweak or change to your original files.
Maps that are automatically randomised have a reusable seed. Please share that seed for any bug report, or the JSON if the map has received manual changes.
Asteroids are placed outside the sector central area, in order to minimise collisions.
Sector names are made of X/Y coordinates. The reason for that is that the game does not have enough voiced names to generate the maximum number of sector allowed by the generator. Besides, I find it lore-breaking to have sectors whose names are very specific to some factions being owned by others.
Sector names are colourised.
Like in vanilla, only RSL sectors are "Unclaimed", other empty sectors are "Unknown".

In order to generate an infinity of procedural maps, Stardust has to use only one map body file. This file is used to draw the in-game map of your current galaxy. Because of this restriction, links that connect non-adjacent sectors are not drawn. To my knowledge, there are no solutions to that problem.

If you come from Mayhem, note that the map generator has been written from scratch. It's a lot faster and more robust.

Given the non-conflicting nature of the map generator, it should be compatible with all mods that do not rely on specific sectors (the TC/AP plots mod is therefore incompatible).

evergreen

Post by evergreen » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 14:43

I've submitted two bugs there on nexus mods page. Briefly - there is a random error on a save fmap process when i seems to delete too many sectors in a row or i'm not sure - there are some screenshots there. Also i have an empty univerce all the time - no nps ships at all. Only stations. May i ask for some help? Thanks/

https://www.nexusmods.com/x3terranconfl ... 1?tab=bugs

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 15:42

For Russian localization of the game, a Russian generator is required. This applies to other languages as well. It is necessary to translate the map generator into the specific language used.

evergreen

Post by evergreen » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 15:52

alexalsp wrote:
Wed, 13. Dec 23, 15:42
For Russian localization of the game there is a Russian generator.

Are you telling me that i got both errors (with saving and with no_npc_ships) ONLY because i've installend english version of mod? Because i got the same error on russian version of mod, while just trying to use it WITHOUT the game folder at all - just unzipped and runnig it as it is and it SEEMS to be working fine (exept two issues). So i must install a correct version instead of running it outside of game folder and importing maps and both of problems will gone? I'll try clean installation this evening and let you know, thanks.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 16:06

evergreen wrote:
Wed, 13. Dec 23, 15:52
alexalsp wrote:

Are you telling me that i got both errors (with saving and with no_npc_ships) ONLY because i've installend english version of mod? Because i got the same error on russian version of mod, while just trying to use it WITHOUT the game folder at all - just unzipped and runnig it as it is and it SEEMS to be working fine (exept two issues). So i must install a correct version instead of running it outside of game folder and importing maps and both of problems will gone? I'll try clean installation this evening and let you know, thanks.
I deleted 30 sectors and had no problems with it. Don't forget the unofficial patch for FL . Unofficial patch for Rusian games

evergreen

Post by evergreen » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 16:55

alexalsp wrote:
Wed, 13. Dec 23, 16:06
evergreen wrote:
Wed, 13. Dec 23, 15:52
alexalsp wrote:

I deleted 30 sectors and had no problems with it. Don't forget the unofficial patch for FL . Unofficial patch for Rusian games
Same error with unofficial patch and russian generator inside the game folder. Just removed a bunch of sectors and caught a bunch plus one here^
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 124828.png
But the second problem seems done now - ship spawn works.
This seems installed correctly.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 125449.png

Guess i have to try clean english steam version now...
Last edited by Terre on Wed, 13. Dec 23, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Wed, 13. Dec 23, 17:08

Yeah. I got the same error. The first time the map was saved normally. Then I deleted a couple more sectors and overwriting the map gives an error and the program closes.

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Sun, 17. Dec 23, 10:23

Question from a pilot
Good afternoon. Thanks for the program - works very well for the most part. There are a number of questions. Perhaps the answers will be interesting not only for me.

1) what is the logic behind the placement of rare stations (such as stock exchanges and shipyards)? Often draw a cluster for the race creating new sectors in an empty space - as a result in the debug window (and in the game itself) I see that there is neither there nor the other.

2) the number of planets and sector illumination are set by the editor, or is it a property of the sectors originally sewn into the game? Just somewhere I get 30-40 planets and (or) 3000% illumination (bright light source with unnatural for X3 contrast looks strange.

3) is there any way to quickly make an empty map? That is, all sectors connected to all sectors with owner id-12 unclaimed? So to speak - canvas. Manually for one of the sizes to make possible of course, but for a large map. for example, it is very sad. It was ms neplogo to give the opportunity to delete all sectors, leaving at least for each race one sector. Deleting 50 sectors manually is very time consuming... And maybe it was useless because I get strange results on the number of rare stations (see question 1 and question 4).

4) I don't fully understand what the probability of a particular station appearing in a sector is tied to, and is it initially determined for a position, or is it triggered by the assignment of a sector host? How and when the editor arranges the stations and at what point rearranges them if I don't like it and I delete the sector or change the owner? Does the content depend on the presence or absence of a certain number of sectors and stations already available for a given race? I see that if I change the owner of all sectors of a race to neutral, and then one of the sectors to this race - the first 10-15-20 sectors (apparently depending on the size of the map) will automatically turn into sectors of this race. I don't know enough about programming to look at the scripts with my eyes, that's why I'm asking.

5) actually what is the map - json file in the folder x3tc/mapgen_maps or xml file in the folder addon2/maps? Or both files? What is the relationship? What's in there and what's in here?

6) and is it possible to solve the problem with the error described above?

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy - Scripts and Modding”