Trying to get a refund - Need a dev response please

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chaos177

Trying to get a refund - Need a dev response please

Post by Chaos177 » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 03:28

Hello I am looking for a dev to officially give me permission for a refund, I have talked back and forth with steam and the only way I can get one is if I have sufficient proof for a refund from a developer here on the forums.

If this is in the wrong spot can you please move it to the appropriate thread.

I have only logged 2 hours on the game, have had multiple problems when I did play, and for a ridiculous amount of reasons (which I have shared with steam support on a continuous basis) I humbly request a refund on my purchase.

http://imgur.com/3pph1Zz

Please dev's help me get my refund. I can copy and paste my support tickets if requested via private messages, I don't know what else I am supposed to do to get my refund otherwise.

This will hopefully be my first and only post.

Thank you,

Chaos

my steam is chaos_theory17

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 03:54

I cannot find any chaos_theory17 in Steam, the picture you post is with the user name CHAOSTHEORY. In Steam there is 50 people with the name Chaos Theory and variations.

I very much doubt that Steam support is asking you to get permission from a Egosoft developer in order to get a refund. They will refer you to the support sections of the forums to see if you can be helped with your issues. So I will start from there.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 13:30

Not sure if serious or stupid. :roll: You honestly think a dev would say "Yeah, we messed up we would be happy to give out refunds."

Honestly dude you need to give me some of that stuff you are smoking. Software purchases for the most part are non refundable. Also like the person above said Steam would never direct you to Ego Soft (let alone the technical support forum) for a refund.

Find somewhere else to troll we have enough here as it already is.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 13:51

Why don't you post your correspondence from Steam? Quick cut and paste... done in seconds.

Chaos177

Post by Chaos177 » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 15:42

Why would I post anything here for you guys to see? Has nothing to do with you.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 16:19

You may get some inspiration from later posters in this thread as to how to seek a Steam refund. It appears that time spent in the game, reasons given for seeking a refund and the country of purchase are important factors.

Either way, this is not really a Technical Support forum issue. Good luck with the endeavour.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zelnot
x4

Post by Zelnot » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 20:20

Alan Phipps wrote:It appears that time spent in the game.... are important factors.
If that is really the case, then that would be very silly. :roll:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 29. Mar 14, 20:34

No, seeking a refund for a game already registered as played for say 100 hours would be very silly! :roll:

The OP has only logged 2 hours and so is probably OK in that respect.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 30. Mar 14, 11:55

Alan Phipps wrote:No, seeking a refund for a game already registered as played for say 100 hours would be very silly! :roll:

He should only have 30 days to reclaim a refund, unless Steam has some kind of money back guarantee for game play hours?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Chaos177

Post by Chaos177 » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 01:55

Thank you for the help mod's, I appreciate it

Shingen-kou

Post by Shingen-kou » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 02:37

I bet there are many with the same desire to obtain a refund like our friend here....
大日本帝国万歳!! 天皇陛下万歳!!

Luanda

Post by Luanda » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 06:00

OP
write directly to info@egosoft.com and nicely ask for their opinion about if steam should give refund as you have logged only 2 hours and you are arguing with them all since. I did the same and i've got a nice ansver from ego that yes i should get a refund for it. after that steam gave back my money...

danskmacabre
x3tc

Post by danskmacabre » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 07:38

hi, I got a refund after about 7 hours gameplay.

It took a lot of debating with Steam support. Like about 2 months worth of debating.

Who was the Steam support person you spoke to?
Was it Robbie?
If it was, he's particularly difficult to deal with, but I got a refund in the end.
You have to be insistent, but at the same time polite and DON'T give up.

If you want some help on how to word getting a refund, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.
I've successfully helped other people get a refund from here before, so you will get a refund without having to get the nod from Devs here.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 17:37

Nothing will change in this whole fiasco until games developers and/or distributors start being sued for false advertising, selling goods in an unfit state etc. by their customer base.

Once this happens, Valve would be more careful which games go onto their platform, and developers would be more careful not to advertise features that don't exist or release a product as finished when it's still in a beta stage of development.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened much if at all so far, but then software laws need to seriously catch up with the rest of the real world.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 18:23

BlackDemon wrote:I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened much if at all so far, but then software laws need to seriously catch up with the rest of the real world.
While I do not agree that bad software releases should be considered acceptable there is such a thing as over legislation.

A simple answer would be for software houses to sign up to a professional code of conduct and be audited by that code.

There is the existing ISO quality standards body (Lloyd's Register) which can certify companies and remove their certification if they are found not to adhere to the relevant standards. The standards are no guarantee of quality of product per se but ensure that companies have suitable codes of practice/operating procedures in play and adhere to them.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 19:05

Chaos177 wrote:Why would I post anything here for you guys to see? Has nothing to do with you.
Firstly it would bring credibility to your OP, which in turn will yield more helpful answers. Why? Who in their right mind would ask or expect a customer to get a written reply from a game developer to authorise a refund? I mean how would they even verify its genuine... IMHO either Steam is taking the piss or....

I am willing even curious to see if it is Steam.

Secondly you created a thread in a public forum so with respect I'll say what I like within the forum rules.

Zelnot
x4

Post by Zelnot » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 21:37

Alan Phipps wrote:No, seeking a refund for a game already registered as played for say 100 hours would be very silly! :roll:

Well in my understanding the amount of time I spend in a game has nothing to do with how broken the game is.

Measuring the ingametime is privilege function not many games actually have.

While one could argue that 2 hours played show that the game is not very fun, others could say the more broken a game is the more time I will spend to overcome these problems.

So if anyone had to prove his little amount of gametime to a steam-support employee I would rather ask the steam-support what the heck does that have to do with getting a refund!!

(but that is just my natural understanding of justice and in other countries there are other laws)

Bothersome
x3tc

Post by Bothersome » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 21:54

OneAmongOthers wrote:Not sure if serious or stupid. :roll: You honestly think a dev would say "Yeah, we messed up we would be happy to give out refunds."

Honestly dude you need to give me some of that stuff you are smoking. Software purchases for the most part are non refundable. Also like the person above said Steam would never direct you to Ego Soft (let alone the technical support forum) for a refund.

Find somewhere else to troll we have enough here as it already is.
You are a perfect example of why I don't visit this forum much. You put down someone that is being honest even if being a bit naive (everybody was new once) and simply trying to get an issue resolved.

Sure what Steam support told him is very most likely not going to happen but it was Steam's way of blowing him off to post-pone the issue in hopes that he'd just drop it. He came here seeking help and you as a so called "fan" do more damage to this community and put out the image that it is filled with calloused, non-caring, obtuse, [put derogatory noun here that won't ban me] like yourself.

Your type is very reason the internet is such a shit hole.

My estimation of the internet's lower intelligence limit has been lowered once again. A new record low has been obtain here.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 22:03

I say give the man his refund. He appears to be honest and genuine. For some of us, $50 (or whatever) amounts to a lot, and let's face it, the game has major shortcomings. On the other hand, if he can afford it, he may be well served to wait a while based on possibility Ego will come through with a game worthy of playing.
A wise man once said...nothing. I'm not a wise man, so I speak my mind. You can't trust atoms because they make up everything.

Chaos177

Re: Trying to get a refund - Need a dev response please

Post by Chaos177 » Tue, 12. Sep 23, 06:38

An update. 10 years on. I didn't end up getting a refund. I was been blown off after all.

I have tried several times over the years to get a refund for this but was never able to. It was only shortly after this debacle that Australia released consumer rights laws which make it a lot easier to obtain refunds. But at the point of time of this issue, that law was still only in the making.

I still have not played anymore X: Rebirth and detest it even to this day. The refund was not about the money, but about the false and misleading advertisement which caused me to buy it in the first place. The bugs and overall low quality of a game it is, even 10 years on this game has left one of the most sourest tastes in my mouth.

I love the X series, and was playing it since X1. I play X4 now and over the years always come back to it for a new playthrough in a new universe.

But X: Rebirth... every time I think of it I simply get the most disgusted feelings towards it.

I will continue to try and get a refund for this atrocity of a game, even 10 years on. I simply hate it. And hate is not enough a descriptive word for the feelings I have towards X: Rebirth. Plainly, it is a **** game and I wish it didn't exist as it has permanently warped by sense of the gaming industry as a whole. This game slammed home to never trust a developer again and to this day I never have.

https://i.gyazo.com/64b1642746cb800937d ... c2b8b1.png
Last edited by Terre on Tue, 12. Sep 23, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”