Importing 3D MAX Objects into X2 - The Threat

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

c.witcombe
x2

Importing 3D MAX Objects into X2 - The Threat

Post by c.witcombe » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 16:55

Anyone know of a Tutorial That explains in great detail how you can add ships to the X universe created in 3D Studio MAX v5.1?

I created a Ship in 3ds max put it in the X-Universe (replaced the Argon Nova just for Viewing) got it in but the ship flies Belly facing flight direction. I reset the Pivot to center of ship. but still flies in this manner.

What is the process of creating, Exporting individual parts of the ship i.e wings cockpit lasers etc. I have tried to follow tutorials that cover this aspect but find that some Tut's are incomplete.

Thanx

I Love X2

P.S. Thanx to all those Modders and scripters out there that have shared their expertise to others

[/img]

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 16:59

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 17:28

It sounds like your ship body (or cockpit part) is rotated relative to the 940 reference body.

You mentioned looking at the tutorials. Yes, they are somewhat incomplete...as is the official X2 GFX document. Even more challenging, you must wade through several lengthy threads to collect the necessary information. However, scattered though it may be, the information needed to get ships into the game does exist on this site.

Have you looked at the 13 step process noted in this thread? http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67501

I know of several people who have followed those 13 steps, and managed to get ships flying in X2.

If that doesn't get you flying, PM me with your specific questions, and I will try and help in any way I can.

c.witcombe
x2

Post by c.witcombe » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 19:15

Yes I have looked at the topic

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67501

I got stuck really stuck :x even. anyway, I got stuck with the naming conventions while exporting Bodies to .bod Files ie 16372_Wings is that 16372.bod and the Max object named B_Wings. I don't know. :? .

By the way thanks for replying :D

Another item that bothers me is 00940.bod, it's an object to mark the center of the Scene.

I just tried importing to X2, the ship that I replaced was an Argon Nova, was replaced with the items from my ship but they were scattered around the aim. not in there correct places.

I think my main problem is the relationship of the Bodies and the Scene Files and the Bodies within the Scene File.

:?

I do not have one of these '940 reference body' in my scene didn't now how to insert it.

any suggestions

Thanks carl

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 12. Nov 04, 21:27

OK...I've got a bit of time between meetings at the office, so here goes...

First, ah...you do have the necessary Maxscript importer installed in 3Dmax, so that you can import the files from X2...right?

If not, take a look at http://www.***/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=48 (if you haven't already) for how to use the maxscripts to import .bod files from your "v" folder (which you will already have unpacked, of course).

Basically, you must import the 940.bod file from X2 into your 3dMax scene. It is not just a simple 3dMax object. After importing, it will automatically be centered at 0,0,0. The part will invarably be too big...but you can scale it down without concern, as is is an invisable body in X2.

Remember, you will have two kinds of objects in your 3dMax scene...ones you import from X2, and the ones you create/modify, that you will eventually export to X2. The scale (size) of the parts you create/modify is important.

Assuming you build a simple ship (single body), and import the X2 940 body and a couple of lasers (like part 106)...then your 3dmax scene will have 4 objects. The main ship body, named 999999_1 (pick something besides all 9's!), a body named 940_xxx (I usually call mine 940_core...but the only thing that really matters is the "940", which will tell the X2 render enging what part to include), and a couple of lasers called 106_1 (so they get associated with your ship (C1 cockpit) body.

You will leave the 940 body in the center, center your ship body, and then place the 2 lasers where you want them.

You will only need to export two .bod files; your ship (as a body), and with all 4 objects in the 3dMax scene selected, the actual X2 scene file.

When you look at your exported scene file in a text editor, you should see entries for the 4 parts; the ship body, the 940 reference body, and two lasers.

The problem with various parts floating around is generally related to improper scaling of your custom parts. The X2-supplied parts (lasers, docking ports, etc) always render at a fixed size (unless you hack the render size in the .bod file with a text editor and re-save as a new part).

If you now look at your ship body (.bod file) in a text editor, you will se a number on a line (near the top of the file) that says something like "Automatic Size" (sorry, like I said, I'm goofing off at the office, and don't have access to my system). Anyway, this is the size that the part will be rendered in X2 (actually, I beleive it is the distance from the center to the farthest edge of the object). As a rule, fighters should be around 4,000 (I have some small ones at around 3,500), and M1/M2's should be around 100,000 - 150,000 (with "monster" ships at 200,000 and up).

if you look at your part, and it is too small/big...go back to 3dMax, select and group everything except the 940 body, and scale as needed. Re-center your ship body, reposition the lasers 9if needed), and try exporting the ship body again. Keep checking the .bod file with your text editor until you are close to the right size. final sizing can only be done by looking at the ship "in game". very ocaisionally, you will need to manually adjust the exported scene file to make small adjustments to the positioning of the parts.

Sorry for the long post...hope this helps.

Commander Jamieson
x2

Post by Commander Jamieson » Sat, 13. Nov 04, 00:42

This is part of a scene or cut file for X2

/===============================================================

/ 3D Scene Information for a theoretical scene (cut) file for X2-The Threat

VER: 3;

P 0; B -1;

{ 8; 6000; 3200; -3400; 0; 0; 2200; 0.000000; -1; -1; } // 0

P 1; B 940;

{ 2; 0; 0; 0; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; -1; } // 0

P 2; B xxx;

{ 2; 0; -100; -100; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; -1; } // 0

P 3; B 47; C 1;

P 4; B xxx;

and so on with all parts of your ship listed here.

-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------

In depth explanation of it:

/ 3D Scene Information for a theoretical scene (cut) file for X2-The Threat

VER: 3;

/You need this below part file (P 0; B -1;) in ALL your scene (cut) files or your import WILL NOT WORK!
P 0; B -1;

{ 8; 6000; 3200; -3400; 0; 0; 2200; 0.000000; -1; -1; } // 0

/This below line (P 1; B 940;) is your "point of View" out of the cockpit!!! The red numbers control where your eyes in the cockpit are. The 1st number will shift your PoV (the whole view out of the cockpit) to the left or right of your ship, examples are xxx or -xxx, where minus xxx is the opposite direction of xxx.

The 2nd red number is your up or down movement, the same applies with a minus number as above!

The 3rd red number is your forward or backward movement, the same applies as above! If you are buried inside of your ship or some parts of it obstracts your view after loading it into the game, you have to adjust this here. Fine tune your Point of View with your right/left view on your NumPad.

P 1; B 940;

{ 2; 0; 0; 0; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000; -1; -1; } // 0

/This below P 2 (Part 2) is a subsequent part, you have to give it a part number (B xxx) where the xxx is. This could be your ship's main body or whatever other parts you have for your ship

P 2; B xxx;

/This below is a part added to this scene (cut) file, here in this example it happens to be the Goner Cockpit. Part numbers do not need to be in sequence but have to be UNIQUE! No two of the same part numbers (P xxx)in your cut file or one of the parts WILL NOT SHOW! You can use the same B xxx part number for your duplicate part, providing the scale or direction is the same. Like one engine on each side of your ship for example, which are in the same location but on opposite sides.
P 3; B 47; C 1;

and so on for all other parts added on.

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
You can use the above example scene (cut) file as your own assembly file, just add your parts manually with a text editor (NotePad etc) you have as said above as long as you have the 2 lines for P 0 and P 1 in it, all other parts can be your own parts AS EXPORTED FROM 3DS Max as a bod or bob file with the EGOexport.dle from the X2ModKit . Once finished with your cut file, test it by giving it a name like 04170. (the Nova ship in your game) and place it into your "cut" folder of your expanded game. You will notice, there is already a 04170.bob file in your game, take it out out of the folder and place it into a back up folder or the game WILL USE THAT ONE INSTEAD OF YOURS!!!! Start your game and if all is ok, all Novas in the game should look like the ship you just placed into the game.

What I do, I take the main body of my new created ship, give it a size of around 5000 or so for M3, M4 or M5. Too large or too wide and they might not fit through the dock when landing at a station. Best load your own single main body of your ship into X2 BEFORE adding any other parts on it, place it next to an existing ship of the same type and compare its size and adjust this in the main body's bod file if not right. If you find out later after other parts have been fitted on your main body and it is the wrong scale, you will have to rescale and reposition all other parts on it again, so make sure this is right in the first place!

M1 and M2s and stations are about 150 000 - 250 000 or so in size. I usually export the just made body as a bod file with the EGOexport.dle from the Mod Kit out of 3DS Max, look at the size of the part in the exported .bod file with a text editor and adjust the size of it next in 3DS Max until it is roughly right. Or I give it a ship's part number, say the Nova's 04170, load a save game where my current ship is, say, a Buster and I place it next to any of my own Novas (you have to do a save where they all are in a friendly sector) and compare their sizes to see if the are ok.

Size info in your .bod file looks like this:

/ Automatically generated bodyfile. from 3ds file: f:\src\xtract\export\00011.3ds

MATERIAL3: 0;369; 0;36;16; 0;111;49; 229;229;229; 0;0;25;5; 0;0;0; 100; 0;0; 0;0;

6000; / Automatic Object Size

/Center: 0, 0, 602
-99999; -99999; 0; /0 (ex 0)
100000; -99999; 0; /1 (ex 1)...........

where the green number is the X2 texture used and the yellow number is the size of the part
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It goes without saying, all the parts you create new and use for your ship have to be in the "v" folder of the expanded X2 game. If you create new parts in 3DS Max, you have to give it new part numbers above 10500 and place them in the v folder of X2.

What I do so I know which parts go on any of my made ships, my first modded ship has parts numbered, say between 10500 and 10600, the next new ship I made uses part numbers 10700 -10800 and so on, depending how many new parts I use for them. Normally I use about 20 to 30 new parts (on my Elite II Imperial Courier, Trader and the 4 engine version of them or the XT Argon Elite as on my ship modding pages on my web site)

When the size of the main body is right, then I start adding the created parts to my new ship in 3DSMax where I can turn, rotate, scale them etc as required so they fit perfectly. This gives you ALL PARTS AND THE MAIN BODY IN THE RIGHT relations in size, directions and scale.

Then begins the tedious task to assemble each part onto the ship in the new cut file by manually adding each part one at a time to the scene (cut file), then loading this ammended cut file into the cut folder of X2, start the game and see where the part is in relation to the ship body. With the 3 coordinates (red numbers above) adjust and shift it by changing the numbers in it to where the part should fit. Once all the parts are done in this fashon, you have just created your new ship as a replacement for the Nova (or whatever cut number you gave it).

If there is an easier way to assemble the ship as I just described it above, please tell me!

Now the tricky part, how do you place your ship as a unique NEW ship into the game? There are 6 or so slots left in the TShips file where you can exchange your ship with one that is NOT FLYING IN THE GAME. Like a Xenon TS or TL or some other ship in it but you have to change their TShips file as explained in other posts somewhere else in the forum or on my d/load section on my web site. You also have to give your ship a cockpit, example is in the top example cut file here in this post.

This is about it but there is still a lot more to 3D modding than that, like shifting and adjusting textures etc but you will learn that "easy" (especiell the UVW Mapping) in 3DS Max.

Note re numbers of polygons on your new parts:
I did some large polygon numbered models and tested them if the X2 game's rendering engine will still load them. I had made some intricate and complicated parts and if one can get them to load, performance might be a factor if too complicated and too large in polygon count. The rule is, if you can not see your intricate large polygon count part in the game, break it into some smaller parts, assemble it as described above and the model will usually load ok into X2.

As to your other question where the direction of your ship is not right after exporting it into the game (belly up), simply change it in 3DS Max by rotating it in the view port by 180 degrees (belly down). Or if it flies backwards or sideways, do that similar around the right axis in 3DS Max.

*Edit: some spelling mistakes and a few extra notes :D

Cheers
Last edited by Commander Jamieson on Sun, 14. Nov 04, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 13. Nov 04, 01:43

somebody want to link to this from one of the threads already in the tutorials list? I'd hate to lose this one :)
*nudges CJ & DeadlyDa*
wherever you guys think it's appropriate, or if it deserves it's own link from the main sticky, let me know.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

c.witcombe
x2

Post by c.witcombe » Sat, 13. Nov 04, 16:18

I'll work on your advise Thanks for taking the time to answer this

By the this is my ship:-

[img]C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Miscelaneous X2 Script Editor Files\Unicorn\Max File\Images\unicorn.jpg[/img]

with a bit of luck the image is displayed!!!

anyway there are altogether 8 sections:-

Main body (Cockpit)
Both outer wings
Both front Slats
Rear Slat
2 Tail Fins

I think thats it

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 13. Nov 04, 16:33

somebody want to link to this from one of the threads already in the tutorials list? I'd hate to lose this one
Good idea. I've linked to my original thread...probably a good idea if CJ would do the same to his. It never hurts to have multiple paths to the same information.

c.witcombe
x2

Post by c.witcombe » Sat, 13. Nov 04, 23:34

Right then, :twisted: I am a very Happy Chappy.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread I finally got my ship in X2. Have to play around with the cockpit because I can see the Laser in front of the ship, The laser is right but the cockpit ain't.

Wher i was going wrong

I can only say that every body part of the ship, I was creating a .bod file for. where if you had 2 of the same .Bod parts you just used the the same .bod file for each part. does this make sense?

Also my naming conventions was out by a mile.

another thing that confused me to :? The Pivot in 3D Max

If I created an object in MAX, alligned that object according to the 940 .bod object

then alligned my object (and pivot ?)according to the 940 .bod object. would my object appear in X2 correct?

Thanks again

out

Commander Jamieson
x2

Post by Commander Jamieson » Sun, 14. Nov 04, 22:19

Burianek wrote:somebody want to link to this from one of the threads already in the tutorials list? I'd hate to lose this one :)
*nudges CJ & DeadlyDa*
wherever you guys think it's appropriate, or if it deserves it's own link from the main sticky, let me know.
I linked it in the Modding Tutorial when I replied to the first post :D

Cheers

c.witcombe
x2

Rotate a ships Engine part

Post by c.witcombe » Wed, 17. Nov 04, 11:13

Hi

How do you go about rotating an object on a Ship, like a Light or Radar dish or an Engine Fan?

tried to create this in MAX but it did not Export to .BOD file

any Ideas

Thanx Carl

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 17. Nov 04, 21:39

Carl,

I responded to your PM...but thought I should also post the same info here, in case others are interested...

In my expierence, the Egosoft 3dMax exporter tends to screw-up rotation on certain parts...some parts worse than others. For example, if you import and place a 939 turret, the part in the resulting scene file will generally have the correct rotation. But try a 708 Gun tower...and the rotation will almost always have to be adjusted manually in a text editor.

Anyway, here is the thread started by Earthpilot where rotation is discussed (as well as keyframes, for the moving bits)... http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58716

Jeff

c.witcombe
x2

Lasers not Working, HELP

Post by c.witcombe » Sun, 21. Nov 04, 17:39

Ships in Names up, Thanx

Next I've put lasers on my ship I created in MAX, a Few Little things I'm sure i'll get wright, but one bigger problem I have.

How do I get the lasers to work, Lasers are on the ship, TShips.pck is done but On the Guns side of things what is the Body ID I take it is the .BOD say 10609.BOD is My Laser (106 and 111.Bod stuck together)

The Path ID for a particular Gun. I think this has something to do with why the Lasers are not working. I don't know what its For.

I am using DoubleShadow's X2 Editor, Good bit of Kit too,

Carl

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 21. Nov 04, 19:00

There is currently bug in the X2 Editor that apparently found its way back into the code during that last release.

Unfortunately, it affects turrets.

First, do your main guns (C1 cockpit) work OK? The body in TShips for these gun should be the ship body part with the C1 designation. Assuming you number your parts from zero (0, 1, 2, etc), then the path in TShips is exactly the same as the part number in your scene file ("cut" directory).

Until the bug fix comes out for turret cockpits, you need to do a manual edit of the TShips file once you save it from DS's X2 Editor. It's not that bad...I've included a "before and after" TShip entry for my new M2 (based on the Sulaco model I posted). It's currently a bit over-gunned (28!) with front weapon mounts, and 6 turrets. to illustrate what you need to do. As you can see, I'm using 939 turrets, and 708 gun towers.

OK...here are 2 TShip lines...the one generated by the editor (which doesnt work), and another that I edited with TextPad (which does work).

The differences are highlighted. As you can see, the information in red (initial laser position for Gun Mounts 2 through 7) is not being set correctly (it is always "0"). The laser position should be incremented for each additional gun mount. I've highlighted in blue the number you want to "plug in" instead of the "0" being generated by the editor.

Bad TShips entry from the editor...

940;0;0.14900;0.14990;0.14990;3;22458;39516;2664;106;1;5;89;15000;112;262;
16579;4523;737700;28;3;8;8;10;10;15;15000;25000;31;1;32;2;35;5;36;6;34;3;33;
4;90;5;10;150000;35;36;1;7;1;0;16570;1;2;1;939;5;3;2;939;14;4;3;939;19;5;4;939;
24;6;5;939;29;7;6;939;34;7;1;4;1;4;1;1;919;10;-1;-1;2;1;919;11;-1;-1;3;1;919;12;
-1;-1;4;1;919;13;-1;-1;0;4;2;4;5;1;708;6;981;2;6;1;708;7;981;2;7;1;708;8;981;2;8;
1;708;9;981;2;0;4;3;4;9;1;708;15;981;2;10;1;708;16;981;2;11;1;708;17;981;2;12;1;
708;18;981;2;0;4;4;4;13;1;708;20;981;2;14;1;708;21;981;2;15;1;708;22;981;2;16;
1;708;23;981;2;0;4;5;4;17;1;708;25;981;2;18;1;708;26;981;2;19;1;708;27;981;2;
20;1;708;28;981;2;0;4;6;4;21;1;708;30;981;2;22;1;708;31;981;2;23;1;708;32;981;
2;24;1;708;33;981;2;0;4;7;4;25;1;708;35;981;2;26;1;708;36;981;2;27;1;708;37;981;
2;28;1;708;38;981;2;1;1330000;25;1;0;SS_SH_D_DESTROYER;

Good TShsips entry after manual edit.........

940;0;0.14900;0.14990;0.14990;3;22458;39516;2664;106;1;5;89;15000;112;262;
16579;4523;737700;28;3;8;8;10;10;15;15000;25000;31;1;32;2;35;5;36;6;34;3;33;
4;90;5;10;150000;35;36;1;7;1;0;16570;1;2;1;939;5;3;2;939;14;4;3;939;19;5;4;939;
24;6;5;939;29;7;6;939;34;7;1;4;1;4;1;1;919;10;-1;-1;2;1;919;11;-1;-1;3;1;919;12;
-1;-1;4;1;919;13;-1;-1;5;4;2;4;5;1;708;6;981;2;6;1;708;7;981;2;7;1;708;8;981;2;8;
1;708;9;981;2;9;4;3;4;9;1;708;15;981;2;10;1;708;16;981;2;11;1;708;17;981;2;12;1;
708;18;981;2;13;4;4;4;13;1;708;20;981;2;14;1;708;21;981;2;15;1;708;22;981;2;16;
1;708;23;981;2;17;4;5;4;17;1;708;25;981;2;18;1;708;26;981;2;19;1;708;27;981;2;
20;1;708;28;981;2;21;4;6;4;21;1;708;30;981;2;22;1;708;31;981;2;23;1;708;32;981;
2;24;1;708;33;981;2;25;4;7;4;25;1;708;35;981;2;26;1;708;36;981;2;27;1;708;37;981;
2;28;1;708;38;981;2;1;1330000;25;1;0;SS_SH_D_DESTROYER;

Sorry, for the hassle. I'm used to looking at TShips files...but if it all seems a bit confusing, try using StormFront's Mod Kit to work your way through the TShip entry you are having problems with.

If all else fails, send me the TShip entry you are having problems with, and I'll fix it for you.

Given DoubleShadow's past track record, I suspect we'll see a fix soon.

c.witcombe
x2

Turrets

Post by c.witcombe » Sun, 21. Nov 04, 23:50

To your Question
do your main guns (C1 cockpit) work OK?
No Basically speaking I ain't got a clue what I need to Do to get guns working properly, I do nut currently Hace a cockpit I have designated my Fuselage as 10600_1 (If I am Correct _1 tells X2 that this part is the Cockpit?). and The parts are incremented by 1.

Question when assigning each Laser a part number. does each laser get it's own Seperate number?

Thanks DeadlyDa for the input I'll Print this off and maybe be able to get this working as easy as all the other Info I have got from you as well as other People in the know from this Thread.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 22. Nov 04, 01:11

You really (and I mean REALLY) need to read...and if necessary re-read...this thread http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58716 (it is one of the links in the Scripting & Modding sticky at the top of this forum). It specifically describes the relationship between cockpits and weapons.

Much of what I (and others) put up on this site assume you have read through the existing material.

As for your "fuselage", if you are using the suffix "_1" at the end of the part number, then it should generate an entry in your scene file with a "C 1" in it. This does, in fact, mean that it will be recognized by X2 as your primary cockpit. Any weapon that you want to fire from a cockpit needs to have the correct cockpit number in it.

In your case, if you wanted to fire two single barrel lasers (106), your scene file should have something like:

P 0; B 940; ...
P 1; B 10600; C 1; ...
P 2; B 106; C 1; ...
P 3; B 106; C 1; ...

The path numbers will/can vary, but must be in synch with your TShips entry.

As I said above, all of this information is in the GFX modding links in the Scripting & Modding sticky, at the top of this forum.

You'll find that people on this site are happy to help...but you also need to do your part by reading through available information :)

c.witcombe
x2

Cannon Fodder

Post by c.witcombe » Mon, 22. Nov 04, 21:56

DeadlyDa

I have read the Info you provided, X2 Knows that the Laser Bay is present but when I fire the Laser Nothing Happens.

Do you need to create a cockpit.BOB fileas well as a Scene file for new ships, if so what do you include in this file?

Do you need to include in the TShips.pck file a turret for the Front Guns that are linked to the Cockpit?

Thanks Carl

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 22. Nov 04, 22:51

Carl,

I'm not sure what you are talking about, when you say "...create a cockpit.BOB file..."

What makes you think that X2 knows there is a laser bay...if they are not firing?

The thread I mentioned above specifically talks about the relationship between the main cockpit and the front laser(s), and should answer most of your questions.

Turrets are simply another form of cockpit. Simply put, you always have at least 1 cockpit that you "fly" the ship from (and fire any front lasers, if present). You can also have from 1 of 6 optional turrets (which are also "cockpits" you can jump into) which can be designated as either front, rear, top, bottom, left, and right

Sigh...it might be easiest if you just zip up what you've got, and email it to me. Once we have a comon point of reference, we can discuss via PM...rather than fill up the forum.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”