Can X2 The Threat go Multiplayer?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bobaloochi
x3

Can X2 The Threat go Multiplayer?

Post by Bobaloochi » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 01:20

I just bought X2 and dont see the option. Is there a way to get online with it?

Lorien
x3

Re: Can X2 The Threat go Multiplayer?

Post by Lorien » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 01:37

Bobaloochi wrote:I just bought X2 and dont see the option. Is there a way to get online with it?
No option available therefore no online play. Every game I've bought that had an online option mentioned on the box that you'd at least need a modem...
Things I've procrastinated on...

Tommy Gun
x2

Post by Tommy Gun » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 01:57

though it would be good for some sort of X3

the only problem would be, who could host a HUGE online multiplayer like that...

unless the universe was made smaller again (about 4x4 sectors in a server) and have a good few number of people playing it, as part of different factions.
Though most games like this are turn based (EOCO, TVSonline etc) so what would happen to your ship/empire whilst you weren't on the computer, would they disappear or be open to attack, all things that need to be looked at before/if egosoft make an X3 online game.

Logaan
x3tc

Post by Logaan » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 02:05

Theres all sorts of issues over how much somethign like that would cost and trying to find sponsers etc.

But I think as a stepping stone, many players would just enjoy joining a server and having a big battle in different ships. I did suggest alsorts of missions, bombing, capture the flag, kinda stuff a little while ago.

We'll just have to see how it goes.

Domoso
x2

Post by Domoso » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 02:21

There are huge multiplayer environments like that up and running now. Only problem is they're fee based. Personally, I have problems with the concept of paying $50+ to purchase a new game and then having to pay $20+/month to play it. That is why I do not support or encourage such games by buying them in the first place. Now, if say I could download that game for free instead of paying for it then I'd seriously consider paying to play it online.

If you figure you pay $50+ dollars for the game + the $20/month service fee + your $50+ high speed internet access the first month of play is costing you $120+ if you don't amortize the initial purchase or adjust your internet access cost for the ratio of time you use it to play the game. Thats a rather hefty investment for a "game".

Lethrom
x2

Post by Lethrom » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 03:22

Well technically you could do like a "shard" thing (a shard is where you setup your own computer/server running a special client so others can accsess the X2 thingy your running) and you could make your own small universe for you client. its a probable idea but the cool people at Egosoft would have to make the software/client for the servers :evil: too much evill work

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 03:25

Tommy Gun wrote:though it would be good for some sort of X3

the only problem would be, who could host a HUGE online multiplayer like that...

unless the universe was made smaller again (about 4x4 sectors in a server) and have a good few number of people playing it, as part of different factions.
Though most games like this are turn based (EOCO, TVSonline etc) so what would happen to your ship/empire whilst you weren't on the computer, would they disappear or be open to attack, all things that need to be looked at before/if egosoft make an X3 online game.
Well, in the Freelancer Multiplayer, the universe is the same size as that in single player, with all the same exploration rewards (jump holes, abandoned wrecks, etc.), and that game runs fine. Those servers hold anywhere from 8 to 120 people, depending on the server's power.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Domoso
x2

Post by Domoso » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 04:29

I thought about the Shard idea but, it is really too small of a universe. For something so open ended as X2 you'd need two essential components. 1) A 24/7/365 server(s): a perpetual environment and 2) a larger universe to accomodate the players. Without those two components it wouldn't be worth much more than deathmatch or CTF.

With a single server you wouldn't have the redundancy to maintain a perpetual and large environment nor would you be able to handle more than a few players. No, something like X2 needs space, LOTS of space, many more sectors, perhaps make it a multiverse. And to really play the game the way it is meant to be played you'd need a perpetual environment so you don't lose what you've built when you left the game or God forbid the server had to be rebooted.

But, think about it. If X2 was online, had a perpetual environment and had hundreds, even thousands of sectors with hundreds or thousands of players it would be pretty awesome to play. Instead of the single trader environment of X2 you could form corporations of multiple players and work together as a team or a band of pirates, hell, people could even sign up to be Khaak. Then you could have galactic wars, price fixing, market manipulation, monopolies. X2, if it were online and perpetual would be by its nature much more dynamic.

That would be worth paying for but only if the game didn't cost you an arm and a leg to purchase in the first place. Otherwise I won't be playing it.

Combat
x2

Post by Combat » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 04:37

Search for 'combat' as an author for a discusion of the bad side of MMORG.

To paraphrase, 'we' (the discussion group) reckon that the way forward is for people to build their own sectors / galaxies etc and share them.

It's a bit llike the old days of tabletop gaming. Build an environment, agree a starting set of rules and agree a 'win' point. After that it's up to your own honesty to play fairly.

I (/we) would love to see a LAN version but MMORG's are open to too much abuse to make it worthwhile.
If all else fails KICK IT!
~ trust me, this one has served the test of time

hartas

Post by hartas » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 08:12

I think a LAN version is pretty much pointless anyway since they all have 5000+ players at anyone time, you would need from the moon and back in cables to start with, or the annual income of a small nation in wireless cards.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 12:04

hartas wrote:I think a LAN version is pretty much pointless anyway since they all have 5000+ players at anyone time, you would need from the moon and back in cables to start with, or the annual income of a small nation in wireless cards.
Or to be at university and live in Halls. :wink:
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Cobraking001
x3

Post by Cobraking001 » Sat, 9. Oct 04, 15:21

perhaps limiting it to 1 ship each and making people work in teams

keitsi

Multiplayer support

Post by keitsi » Mon, 1. Nov 04, 23:34

A Freelancer-like multiplayer support would be very nice - I have played Freelancer a lot on LAN parties (16 players) and over ADSL with few friends, and it was very fun. Too bad freelancer lacks a lot of things X2 - The Threat has.

I have not bought X2 the threat - yet. I don't know if I ever will unless there will be a multiplayer support. I hardly ever play single player games because most likely the game will be much more fun when playing with friends.

That's about my 5 cents.
//keitsi

Holywhippet
x3

Post by Holywhippet » Tue, 2. Nov 04, 00:25

I suspect a decent sized multiplayer X2 game would be too large for any single machine. In the single player version, out of systems stuff isn't calculated 100%. In a multiplayer version you'd need to do calculations for every sector a player was in. You might be able to do it with a dedicated server but too many players would require too much power.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Tue, 2. Nov 04, 00:29

Rapier wrote:
hartas wrote:I think a LAN version is pretty much pointless anyway since they all have 5000+ players at anyone time, you would need from the moon and back in cables to start with, or the annual income of a small nation in wireless cards.
Or to be at university and live in Halls. :wink:
yep. me and my flatmates are networked and we enjoy playing games all the time... mainly Battlefield although we sometimes play CnC Generals.

They don't 'get' X2 though - it requires too much thought
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”