Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Posts: 679 on topic
Location: The Neverlands
|Posted: Mon, 10. Nov 14, 11:36 Post subject: Report# DD-98986 - Startup error - Feedback Request
|If this is your first visit to Egosoft Technical Troubleshooting, then please read the Introduction.
The specific crash you have experienced appears to be related to some (sub)system not being able to initialize at startup. The message box that appeared describes in more detail which particular issue you have encountered. If it was one of the following then we'd like more feedback from you:
• Error Code 2: Failed to initialize Steam interface.
• Error Code 14: Steam client is required, please start the Steam client and try again. If Steam is already running and you still see this error, please send a report to email@example.com.
• Error Code 15: S3D::SysD3D.D3D->CreateDevice failed hr=-2005530516
Error Code 2: Failed to initialize Steam interface.
If you have an AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2GHz processor then this may be the cause of the problem in your case. Steam support is investigating the problem and we hope it will be fixed with the next Steam update.
If you experience this issue, please contact us by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with subject "DD-98986 error 2" and including the information requested below:
- Your DXDiag report.
- Preferably also include a Dependency Walker Report.
A Dependency Walker report contains information about installed DLL's. We have had multiple reports of people having incorrect dll's installed and this report will help us rule that out as a source of problems.
1. Download DependencyWalker: http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip
2. Extract the files to a local folder.
3. In Steam, go to the "Library" section and select "X Rebirth".
4. Right-click on "X Rebirth" and select "Properties".
5. Click on "Local Files" and "Browse Local Files...".
6. Drag-and-drop the "XRebirth.exe" file onto "depends.exe" in the folder into which you just extracted DependencyWalker.
7. Select File > Save-As and store the file.
- Your Steam logs.
These are normally located under [SteamDirectory]\logs
- (Optionally) Your Steam Community name.
Note that this is not required, but will help us analyse the issue with the help of our official contacts at Steam support.
There is a possible temporary workaround for this issue which we may be able to suggest, if you contact us with the information above and it turns out to be appropriate for your case.
Error Code 14: Steam client is required, please start the Steam client and try again. If Steam is already running and you still see this error, please send a report to email@example.com.
This error implies that your Steam client isn't running and for some reason failed to start. We'd like to know whether this was the case for you or whether you have another idea what might have caused the problem. We'd also like to know whether your Steam client was really not running when you got this error. Please let us know by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with subject "DD-98986 error 14".
Error Code 15: S3D::SysD3D.D3D->CreateDevice failed hr=-2005530516.
The Direct3D device could not be created. This might be because your graphics card does not support some features, or maybe you are trying to run the game in a virtual machine. Make sure your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up-to-date.
One user with a high-end Nvidia card reported the issue was fixed after upgrading to Nvidia Driver Version 347.09 dated 2014-12-23.
One user with a laptop with a dual-GPU reported the issue resolved with the following steps (probably because the default settings were beyond the capabilities of that graphics-card):
If you still experience this issue, you can contact us by mailing email@example.com with subject "DD-98986 error 15" and including the information requested below:
- Find the configuration file on your hard drive in "\userdir\<username>\Documents\Egosoft\<steam-id>\config.xml" and create a backup.
- Overwrite the configuration with the example config.xml which you will find at the bottom of this post. This configuration forces the game to run in windowed mode in 1280x720 with anti-aliasing disabled.
- Try running the game now, and let us know it it fixes the issue.
- Your DXDiag report.
|Error 15 - Basic configuration (windowed, 1280x720, no anti-aliasing)
|| 264 Bytes
|| 425 Time(s)