[MOD] Welding Laser

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Goekhan
x3tc

[MOD] Welding Laser

Post by Goekhan » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 03:09

Welding Laser 0.21 by lyravega

http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/273//?

NOTE: I've been getting some questions from some people. If a component is destroyed, this mod will not allow you to repair it. This is just a simple repair laser, not a rebuild/reconstruct laser (however, I'll look into it aswell). Sorry for any confusions, if there was any.

Mining Laser MKI has been modded in order to make Albion Skunk capable of repairing other ships, and ship components.

Installation:
Extract the mod-folder to your "extensions" folder. If it isn't there, create one. It should look like this: "...\X-Rebirth\extensions\Welding Laser\"

To-Do List:
-Balancing

To-Attempt List:
-Create a "new weapon" in order to separate Mining Lasers from Welding Laser
-Create a "new player controlled drone" and add this welding laser to it
Last edited by Goekhan on Sun, 1. Dec 13, 00:32, edited 4 times in total.

rifter08
x3ap

Post by rifter08 » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 05:15

Sounds good. I have noticed in a pre-release picture of the Skunk that there were actually 6 turret slots. (if you got collectors edition you should have it in the bonus folder) The 6th being right next to the pulsed maser. i have never managed to finish the plot so not sure if its used. But you may be able to use it. ??.

milytar
x4

Post by milytar » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 12:18

Ooo....thats good!When you finish your To-Do list then i downloud your good mod!
And one day ... one day i will be there ...
And if not... then i will be here ...

Me

Goekhan
x3tc

Post by Goekhan » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 17:40

I've renamed the Mining Laser MKI for now. It is just a minor visual change while I attempt the stuff on to-attempt list.

However, it is only in English. If you want to help me with other languages, just tell me the exact "meaningful" translation of "Welding Laser" so I can add it for other languages. I know I can use Google Translate and such, but it left a sour taste in my mouth after the last time I used it :P

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 18:06

Hi Goekhan,

I've been working with your welding laser since yesterday and it does a very good job, to good imo. Should it be able to repair shields also? When I get a fighter to bail or a freighter, then use the welder, the first thing to go full is the shield then the hull then any components. Is this desired behavior?

As an experiment I flew to a couple of cap ships that were going toe to toe and I was able to prolong the battle almost indefinitely. Perhaps toning down the effect of the welder might help add more balance as at the moment it seems a bit over powered.

Its a great way to fix what the game can't yet and I applaud your efforts.

Vayde
Still life in the old dog yet...

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 18:57

Hello, been trying out the new repair gun and it works great. If its balanced to do bigger ships slower than smaller ones then its probably ok, but it can completely redo a medium fighter that had only 20% hull left, in less than a minute. Thirty seconds maybe, thats pretty fast, maybe a little unrealistic. A medium fighter should take 2-3x that long, and heavy a little more, cap ships, 20-30 minutes, something like that, if your going to get free repairs, you shouldn't mind waiting to get them done. Repairing the entire ship shields and all is ok too, it should just take longer, thats all, so you''d get a message saying engines are working, then a little alter saying shields are repaired and finally weapons are online, something like that.

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 18:58

Hello, been trying out the new repair gun and it works great. If its balanced to do bigger ships slower than smaller ones then its probably ok, but it can completely redo a medium fighter that had only 20% hull left, in less than a minute. Thirty seconds maybe, thats pretty fast, maybe a little unrealistic. A medium fighter should take 2-3x that long, and heavy a little more, cap ships, 20-30 minutes, something like that, if your going to get free repairs, you shouldn't mind waiting to get them done. Repairing the entire ship shields and all is ok too, it should just take longer, thats all, so you''d get a message saying engines are working, then a little alter saying shields are repaired and finally weapons are online, something like that. :wink:

Thurmonator
x2

Post by Thurmonator » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 19:15

Perhaps you could draw energy from shields to make it less "free"? At least people wouldn't be conducting repairs in the middle of a battle.

Nice mod. Helps with fixing capped fighters on the spot.

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 22:09

OK been testing this, my TM class got hit by some fighters and lost a little hull, on something that big it IS pretty slow and it only needed about 15 hull points returned. If it had been really hurt or if it had been a bigger ship, then it would take a good, long time to fix it, so my opinions is, its OK, so I wouldn't worry about it. If they want to repair say...the Taranis, it'll take a long time..it'll get done, but not very fast. Nice job. :wink:

jocan2003
x4

Post by jocan2003 » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 05:49

I believe this does not repair the "wrecked" state of hull section and other "unrepairable cosmetics" does it?

Goekhan
x3tc

Post by Goekhan » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 06:26

@jocan2003, it is just a repair tool, if you cannot target it, you cannot repair it. Sometimes, wrecked stuff sit at 0% but can still be targetted for some reason, these stuff can be repaired. Not sure what causes it. If I can find a way to repair wrecked stuff aswell, I'd do it, but alas, too many unknowns for me.

@Thurmonator, even with the perfect balance, it is up to the users to properly use it or abuse it. I'll think about adding heat mechanics to the laser, but I'll also make it an alternative version. I'm not sure about the energy, but some old files (I believe) has energy source instead.

@KRM398, as you've said, on something bigger, it takes much longer. But I'll add Welding Laser MKII and tone MKI just a little.

@Vayde, Shield "repairing" is a side effect. If some old variables are still in the game, it can be fixed though. About repairing in combat, it is up to you to decide whether or not use it in combat, I can't / won't restrict you, but personally I'd never use it in that situation.

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 06:38

Free == free == free == free. If it doesn't use paid ammo, it's free. Every other change is simply cosmetic.

realdor
x4

Post by realdor » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 23:45

Stupid question, does this completely replace the mining laser or is it still good for mining?

nico86326
x4

Post by nico86326 » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 00:02

realdor wrote:Stupid question, does this completely replace the mining laser or is it still good for mining?
Completely replaces it. Mining Laser 1 is the repair laser hence it does nto work as a true mining laser.

Goekhan
x3tc

Post by Goekhan » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 00:28

realdor wrote:Stupid question, does this completely replace the mining laser or is it still good for mining?
As nico86326 said, it replaces it. There may be a way to suit both needs, but I haven't found one if there is any.

I released a new version, that also replaces Mining Laser MKII. But to compensate, I made another "small" mod that'd allow you to efficiently mine (blow asteroids up) with Plasma Cannons.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”