Please attach savegames for almost any issue, it'll help a lot. In case you can't or don't want to include it in the forum post, my email address is: tim13on ( on ) egosoft.com, of course remove the 13 and ( on ) is @ (hope not many spam bots figure that out);p
If textures are broken (red green blue stripes):
You are running open-source drivers without support for texture compression.
If you have an AMD/ATI or NVIDIA graphics card you can install the proprietary drivers which should also result in improved performance.
If you are running Intel graphics or wish to use open-source drivers you will have to install libtxc-dxtn.
Ubuntu: you should get a prompt to install the library, if not report a bug and either:
search for libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 in the "ubuntu software center",
or open a terminal and type in: "sudo apt-get install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0" when prompted enter your password and follow any later instructions
Mint/Debian: probably same as ubuntu (the terminal instructions)
Fedora: not sure yet
SUSE: Install this: http://packman.links2linux.de/package/libtxc_dxtn
Arch: not sure but on 32bit I think "sudo pacman -S community/libtxc_dxtn" on 64bit you probably need to add some repository sources and do "sudo pacman -S multilib/lib32-libtxc_dxtn"
Gentoo: "sudo emerge media-libs/libtxc_dxtn"
Especially at first it is advised to run in windowed mode.
If the game crashes in fullscreen mode it's possible that it'll leave the desktop in a lower resolution mode.
Savegames are by default stored in a hidden folder ".config/EgoSoft/X3/save/" in your home directory as X00.sav, X01.sav etc.
Windows savegames should be two-way compatible and shouldn't be flagged as "modified", if there are any issues please report a bug.
- ctrl+g toggles cursor grabbing in windowed mode
- ctrl+c tries to kill the game a.s.a.p.
X3R supports up to 6 axes, you can set which of your actual joystick axes are mapped to which internal X3R axes in the input config dialog (before starting the game). You can also see the resulting current state of the given axis.
To disable an axis set the "Source/Disable:" to -1.
To invert an axis set the scale to -1, if you set scale to e.g. -1.2 or 1.2 it will "saturate" it by 20% (it will reach minimum/maximum value before the physical movement limit).
The throttle axis is special and should be used for "slider" controls (those that don't center automatically).
You can map the actual function of each internal X3R axis inside the game's control settings (start a new game or load a save, in flight press escape or if docked select options, select "Controls", select second tab "Controls").
The deadzone is also set in the in-game settings menu.
Certain joysticks may have a hand sensor that will confuse the game and result in very fast keyrepeat and menu navigation.
To disable the button you can enter the "Input Device" config dialog and press "Remap buttons".
Any button name in red is currently pressed, locate those that are constantly red or red when you hold the joystick and either set "Button:" to -1 or click Assign and then press Delete.
If the button number is higher than 15 you'll have to edit the configuration file in "~/.config/EgoSoft/X3R/config.yaml"
and set "Joy Button<button number> Src' to '-1'.
If the game doesn't detect your joystick and you have /dev/input/js0 when you plug in your joystick but no /dev/js0 then try this:
Code: Select all
sudo ln -s input/js0 /dev/js0
- Issue: Blurred in-game text with 16xAA on nvidia binary drivers
- Issue: Darker buildings on ground in 2nd plot mission
- Issue: Main menu envmap looks different
- Issue: Config file is saved on quit, which can be annoying when testing.
Postponed: It unfortunately has to, at least for now.
There's lots of console output that may look bad, in general don't worry or report it unless you get a crash or I asked for it.
If you notice any graphical anomalies, please (if you can) first try to confirm that they don't happen on windows, take screenshots (the windows ones may appear transparent, but are correct, so attach them anyway), confirm on which shaders it happens, and report it so others can confirm or disprove it on other drivers and distros. If possible attach a savegame as close as possible to the offending situation/cutscene.
Aproximate minimum requirements and advised drivers/settings:
I'm affraid you're gathering them right now, though don't report any yet, at first we're focusing on bugs.
For now these are:
CPU: No idea
Ram: >= 3gb Though it consumes on average around 0.8-1.2gb, so 2gb might be enough if you're not running too much in the background.
HDD: The install size is around 4.5GB
GPU: These are the currently tested configs:
- Radeon 5450, recomended proprietary drivers, mesa is too slow to be playable
- Radeon 4850, worked reasonably well with mesa-9.0.1
- Intel i7-2620M, works with mesa >= 8.0.4
2015-03-30 1:30 UTC - Build 32:
- Fixed crash on undocking
- Fixed missile trails
2014-10-10 14:30 UTC - Build 31:
- Partially decreased stutter (at the cost of longer initial game start)
2013-09-28 23:30 UTC - Build 30:
- Fixed a few graphical lightning and reflection blur inconsistencies
- Significant performance improvements on intel and amd drivers (I've seen between 10-40%)
2013-09-10 12:30 UTC - Build 29:
- Fixed bug in missile changing gui (could cause crashes on some drivers)
- Fixed compatibility with newer SDL2 and updated it to the official release
- Fixed cursor image being offset to right from actual click point
- Improved glow performance, about 2-8% more fps
2013-07-29 10:05 UTC - Build 28:
- Fixed texture corruption on AMD (hopefully)
- Fixed video seeking (bug with wrong portraits being shown)
- Alt+enter for windowed/fullscreen transition
- Better automatic mouse grabbing/ungrabbing in windowed mode
2013-07-21 13:30 UTC - Build 27: (yes 23-26 wasn't released)
- Various performance improvements (most notably on nvidia)
- Fixed doppler effect
- Improved launch and load time
2013-06-30 19:10 UTC - Build 22:
- AMD catalyst 13.6 crash workaround
2013-06-28 15:05 UTC - Build 21:
- Performance improvement by up to 14% (especially on intel's graphics)
- Various improvements to config dialogs
2013-06-26 22:45 UTC - Build 20: Major shader refactor, if you notice any other changes or something you think is wrong, don't hesitate to tell me
- Less specular asteroids
2013-05-28 11:30 UTC - Build 19:
- Fixed ship shaking when not all that far from sector center
- Fixed mesa 8.0 compatibility on intel graphics
- Fixed fps counter appearing from nowhere
2013-05-11 18:45 UTC - Build 18:
- Fixed striped asteroids
2013-05-11 14:30 UTC - Build 17:
- Load time reduced by 50%
- Fixed garbage in main menu on amd catalyst
- Fixed the terrible 1-3sec hangs on amd catalyst
2013-05-02 14:10 UTC - Build 16:
- Fixed joystick hat
- Fixed player stats signing
- Partial blurring fix for nvidia+16xAA
- (Possibly fixes a few other issues)
2013-04-12 15:15 UTC - Build 15:
- Fixed excesive ship shaking when hit by guns
2013-04-03 17:45 UTC - Build 14:
- Fixed memory leak in new game menu (and probably other in-game situations)
- Fixed crash on shift+scroll (however shift+scroll is unusable which is the same on windows atm)
- Improved boron shader (should be closer to what it looks like on windows)
- Better "unknown object" rendering
2013-02-27 20:55 UTC - Build 13.3:
- Fixed wrong libGLEW
2013-02-27 17:45 UTC - Build 13.2:
- Fixed "unknown object" crash and rendering
- Fixed performance regression from 13.1
2013-02-27 11:55 UTC - Build 13.1:
- Fixed "glowing ghost ships" on new version
- Included x3_bonus_package_3.1.07.tar.bz2 in game folder (temporary measure before a proper solution), to activate the bonus pack you must unpack it into the main game folder (overwrites some files).
2013-02-26 12:50 UTC - Build 13:
- Memory usage cut in half
- Fixed 1-4second lag on first video view (usually when opening a menu)
- Minor config dialog improvements
- Rewrote shaders/opengl setup
- Two new temporary config file options: Frame Finish, Hack FPS Replace Text
- Includes older build (this one also has the memory fix)
2013-02-09 13:15 UTC - New build:
- Switched to sdl2
- Keymap independent shortcuts
- Monitor selection in graphics config dialog
- Fullscreen and input grabbing differences (probably not all for the better)
2013-02-04 16:50 UTC - New build:
- Input config dialog crash
- Config dialog theme (it can still revert to the "ugly theme", but shouldn't be "unreadable dark text without button frames")
2013-02-04 15:10 UTC - New build:
- Last cutscene crash fix
- Audio volume changing fixed (when changing music from 0% you'll have to wait for a bgm change for it to work).
- Weird sounds fixed
- In-game joystick sensitivity setting should work now
- Recent steam library issues
- Screenshots (default shortcut F9)
2013-02-01 16:00 UTC - New build:
- Joystick axis remapping, inverting, scaling, deadzones. For instructions look below in Generic information: Joystick setup.
2013-01-31 12:55 UTC - New build:
- Reservoir of Tranquility skybox fix
- Fixed stuck keys/buttons, or at least I can't make it happen, if it still happens please report. Note: duplicated keys on text input still happen.
- Minor joystick axis/hat fix (proper remapping coming soon, though probably not today)
2013-01-29 12:47 UTC - New build:
- some input refactoring (you might notice less latency)
- fixed shift+key commands (those actually worked, they were just displayed wrong)
- fix mouse buttons getting stuck in certain situations
2013-01-29 0:12 UTC - New build:
- another simple crash fix
- fix mouse scroll wheel bleeding into other mouse buttons
2013-01-28 1:52 UTC - New build:
- fixed joystick selection/disabling in input config dialog, and removed some obsolete options (those are configurable in-game)
- redirected stderr to stdout to hopefully avoid huge logs, everyone check your ~/.xsession-errors files and delete them if they are huge
- removed input printfs
2013-01-27 1:25 UTC - New build:
- fixes assert crash in when meeting Tony Marani in Farnhams Legend.
- config dialog improvemnts, though don't report bad/missing translations yet, only functional ones (the "input device" list is still broken).
- added some input printfs.