EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

Multi monitor support
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Would you like Rebirth to allow multi monitor support?
Me likes Multiscreen
78%
 78%  [ 57 ]
I dont care
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
i dont want it
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
other....
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 73

CharlieChop

Thank you for registering your game
modified
PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 12, 07:46    Post subject: Multi monitor support Reply with quote Print

i don't know about you guys, but Ive always wanted to be able to play a game in multiple screens like this:

Main screen: normal game, flight, npc contact

Secondary screen: real-time asset information, Sector map etc.

any ideas as to how multiscreen would be great for this game? also i was thinking about it being optional....apparently Ive had a lot of people think its not.

Last edited by CharlieChop on Fri, 13. Jan 12, 03:08; edited 1 time in total
selbie

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 12, 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

This game would make a TripleHead2Go setup worth the money. More games should allow use of multiple monitors. Especially more complex ones like X.

ctcc41

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 12, 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Being able to dedicate specific screens to specific information displays would be neat, and doing so could save on system resources as eyefinity and nVidia surround extend the amount of world rendered, which is not always desired.

However it would probably be much better for Egosoft to give us an interface lock/unlock button, a few options in the menu to allow us to check which elements we do or do not want permanently displayed, and a slider to shift our view focus left or right.

By Providing us with these tools people with a single monitor can benefit from the ability to customize their interface layout. People with two monitors can shift their view focus left or right of their bezels and populate the other side with which ever interface elements they like, and those of us with three screens can bring the controls and displays usually relegated to the far ends of our peripheral vision closer in, and display less useful items permanently in our peripheral instead.

BTW, if any one without an eyefinity or nVidia surround setup is thinking of upgrading, X3:AP is one of the better games to play on a supper wide resolution. It doesn’t re-locate the side interface elements to the middle monitor, but that’s very rare among games. Also the Field of view appears strongly stretched to the sides. But unlike many games it is still preferable to play in multi-monitor mode. Some games, especially those built on the unreal engine; you’re better off just giving up and using a single monitor.

Virtualaughing

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 12, 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Eyefinity
Yeah some "rich" man who can afford many thousand €/$ machine may find usefull...

Extended desktop
Microsoft Flight Simulator X ** is the best example how such thing is possible. You can setup a doule - seated cockpit view or you can place different instruments on both monitors. Even cusstomise the size of them. Endless posibilities....
A side note... winXP performing way better with such things than win7 and im not talking about framerate... but the limitations with aero functions and drag and drop limitations if the two monitors with different resolution....

**Sorry for the example but that is not a spacesim...

Maxumous

PostPosted: Sun, 8. Jan 12, 23:20    Post subject: Re: Multi monitor support Reply with quote Print

CharlieChop wrote:
i don't know about you guys, but Ive always wanted to be able to play a game in multiple screens like this:

Main screen: normal game, flight, npc contact

Secondary screen: real-time asset information, Sector map etc.

any ideas as to how multiscreen would be great for this game?

They might have a problem there has theses games are CPU based Graphics games and not GPU based games. Unless you have a Powerful machine as your Fps will drop using Multi-screens.I know there introducing Multi-threading in X-rebirth and you will really need it to keep up with wanting to do Multi-screens. But that would go under there testing. I have a I7 core 980 12 multi-threaded machine and I'm Really excited over the Development of X-Rebirth. I would say they may look into it in the near future,but that's for them to say.

Its not like playing Crysis 2.

Smart_Bomb

PostPosted: Mon, 9. Jan 12, 05:09    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

selbie wrote:
This game would make a TripleHead2Go setup worth the money. More games should allow use of multiple monitors. Especially more complex ones like X.

this.

NeverSnake

PostPosted: Mon, 9. Jan 12, 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Given that the series had multi-monitor support and it got removed I wouldn't get your hopes too high of it being added back in, especially with all the talk of the game being 'more complex, less complicated'.

tatakau

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 9. Jan 12, 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Supreme Commander had multi-monitor support... it definitely exponentially increased the awesomeness of the game. :-p

Of course, SC was an RTS. If it were to be implemented in a space sim, there'd have to be multiple configuration options. Some people might want extra monitors to provide a full 180 degree view (angled monitors). Others might just want a second monitor to display a map and a property list.

I actually used both monitors when I used to play Eve, as that game had a very window-based interface. It was kinda like the 3d rendering was my desktop, and all of the little windows were different programs.

Bottom line, any game that has the capability to use multiple monitors in a useful way wins serious points in my book.

jack775544

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 12, 02:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

tatakau wrote:
Supreme Commander had multi-monitor support... it definitely exponentially increased the awesomeness of the game. :-p

Yes I agree completely. I believe that rebirth should be able to support monitors with different resolutions. I for one have a 19" monitor running at 1280*1024 and a 24' monitor running at 1920*1080. It was always one of my dreams to be able to have game info like sector map and current target info on the 19" screen and the game itself on the 24" screen.

CharlieChop

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 12, 02:53    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

i really hope a Dev sees this post and kinda tells us something about it... Ive placed a question about it in the "ask bernd " thread.... but the possibility of it being answered is just ....small....

foszae

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 12, 05:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

i would be so pleased to cover my second monitor in small windows like Microsoft flight. there are so many ships i want to track, different maps i would keep open. fleet managment, character rosters, ship monitors, economic indicators — if i could keep all of them open and still see enough in front of me to fly, i'd be the happiest X captain alive.

CharlieChop

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 12, 06:08    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

foszae wrote:
i would be so pleased to cover my second monitor in small windows like Microsoft flight. there are so many ships i want to track, different maps i would keep open. fleet management, character rosters, ship monitors, economic indicators — if i could keep all of them open and still see enough in front of me to fly, i'd be the happiest X captain alive.

+1

being able to get the information you want ready and visible without 15 keystrokes is a must.

Demongornot

PostPosted: Tue, 10. Jan 12, 06:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I have a good computer with 3 screen configuration in Eyefinity

I7 920, 6Go DDR3 and crossfire of HD6970 (in reality one 6970 and one 6950 with bios flashed and transformed into HD6970)
And if i can i will buy the new HD 7000 and Ivy Bridge processor.

I will keep my actual monitor or change for 3 other with the same resolution (for size advantage) i turn with 1920x1080 x3 5760x1080

And i hope X Rebirth will support Eyefinity for good game immertion and with eyefinity disable will support multi screen for show game in the main monitor and a lot of secondary information to secondary (one or multiple) monitor !!!

Last hope for X Rebirth : http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349411
CharlieChop

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jan 12, 04:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Demongornot wrote:
I have a good computer with 3 screen configuration in Eyefinity

I7 920, 6Go DDR3 and crossfire of HD6970 (in reality one 6970 and one 6950 with bios flashed and transformed into HD6970)
And if i can i will buy the new HD 7000 and Ivy Bridge processor.

I will keep my actual monitor or change for 3 other with the same resolution (for size advantage) i turn with 1920x1080 x3 5760x1080

And i hope X Rebirth will support Eyefinity for good game immertion and with eyefinity disable will support multi screen for show game in the main monitor and a lot of secondary information to secondary (one or multiple) monitor !!!

How does eyefinity work?

lt_wentoncha

PostPosted: Wed, 11. Jan 12, 06:15    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

3 Screens with nVidia surround sound here...multimonitor support IS A MUST.

Let me explain...X3 is my killer app. I specifically upgraded for it. I expect to upgrade for Rebirth. No need for triplehead2go, with nVidia surround native resolutions are supported already.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next