Jarheads: Chapter 1

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

hns194
x3tc

Jarheads: Chapter 1

Post by hns194 » Sat, 13. Mar 10, 09:39

Prologue: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... e969b72893

0600 hours, 22 February 768, Nearing Landing Zone Victor, Sergeant Derek Gardan

My hands were shaking in anger. The young private next to me and the rest of the squad enraged at his lack knowledge of the Argon Marine Corps, my Marine Corps, the squad's Marine Corps. Currently the private was trying to make himself very small but failed miserably when he slouched too much and slid from his seat. He slid down the length of the troop bay, all the way to the exit ramp. That action earned the young puke the eyes and laughter of the entire troop bay. He deserved it, thinking he could just transfer into my squad from his last post in the army reserves.

Derek's fellow fireteam leader, Sergeant Rictiff, nudged him in the ribs with his elbow.
“We really musta pissed off some of the higher-ups if they're sending us that POS weekend warrior eh?”

“I blame it on Perez, he snuck into the officers' head on Fajita night last week” I replied.

“I was wondering what made that paint in there peel” said a voice from above me. I looked up to see the square jaw and beady eyes of my CO, Lieutenant Jackson Hughes.

“Hitting the dirt in T-minus twenty seconds” rang the voice of the pilot through the intercom. A cacophony of clicks was heard immediately afterwards as everybody got locked and loaded. When I looked up from readying my own weapon, all the faces I had seen in the troop bay were replaced, by the dark blue tinted visors of combat helmets. I dawned my own helmet and counted down mentally like the rest of the squad.

A jolt and metallic clang later the pilot came over the intercom again. “Touchdown, now get out, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.”

“Cocky bastard” muttered Lieutenant Hughes. As we all poured out and began establishing a perimeter I heard a high pitched whistle. It didn't take me or anybody else long, to figure out what it was before Rictiff gave a resounding yell of “Incoming!” and we all voluntarily ate sh*t.

Comments and reviews are appreciated. :D
Last edited by hns194 on Sun, 14. Mar 10, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Sun, 14. Mar 10, 04:55

*UPDATE*

0605 hours, 22 February 768, Landing Zone Victor, Sergeant Derek Gardan

Bright lights, screaming, high-pitched whine of energy weapons, the miniature bangs as our bullet based weapons fired back, all of these assaulted my ears in an instant. Along with voices of my fellow marines.

“Saratoga this Bravo 1-1, advise, Sierra-Delta 219 is down, I repeat Sierra-Delta 219 is down. Requesting immediate air support!” screamed the radio man.

“Bravo 1-1, air support has a prior engagement in orbit, air support is not available at this time.” Replied a female voice that sounded too calm.

“Saratoga advise, enemy is superior, without air cover we cannot hold this position!” replied the radio man, his face showing panic and fear, but also determination to get his brothers the support they needed.

“Bravo 1-1” a deep, booming voice that commanded respect came over the line. It could only belong to one man. “This is Commodore Harrison, I need you to hang on for just a bit longer, can you do that for me Marine?”

The radio man was about to reply when, a fist sized hole appeared where his visor was a millisecond ago. I managed to pull myself off the ground, and picked up the transmitter.

“Bravo 1-1, you need to hold on support is on the way, can you hold?” the Commodore's voice came across again.

“This Bravo 1-1, we are wounded, low on ammo and morale, we have no one on our flanks, and the enemy is superior. We will hold.” As I uttered the last sentence there was moment of silence as the men around me registered what I said. A cheer went up around me. I made sure to press the transmit button when the cheering started.

The Commodore's voice came over again sounding very relieved. “Affirmative Bravo 1-1, ETA for support is twenty minutes, hang tight Marines.”

*we are wounded, low on ammo and morale, we have no one on our flanks, and the enemy is superior. We will hold.

Was derived from the words of:

1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 23:07

*UPDATE*

0700 hours, 22 March 768, Landing Zone Victor, Corporal Alfred Perez

“Scratch one Split” I uttered to my spotter, Private Davis, as the .45 round from my A40M3 sniper rifle tore into the side of a split's face.

“That makes six kills in three minutes, there just not giving up are they Corporal?” replied Davis.

“They better not give up. They started this war, and we're gonna end it.” I replied. Our transport had been hit by artillery right after we landed, five Marines bought a farm. Our two Colossus had left us one month ago. They said they were taking the fight to the Patriarch of the split himself, and that they would be back for us as soon as they could. Our supply ship had been hulled by a split destroyer. It now hung in a low geosynchronous orbit above our position.

Food supplies and ammo are running low, and we are fighting an enemy that has a infinite amount of rage against us. All of us had said goodbye to a chance of ever being rescued, except for my Sergeant. Derek still has hope that they haven't forgotten about us. I still remember him talking on the radio to Commodore Harrison when they had left us.

“Marines” Commodore Harrison's voice had sounded gruff and mournful that day. “The 4th Federal Fleet has taken out almost two thirds of the split defence fleet. High Command has ordered the Saratoga and Argonia to report to Argon Prime. We are leaving you behind. If it was up to me we would stay here. But we have to end this war somehow. We're taking the fight to the Patriarch himself.”

The Commodore had sounded like he was on the verge of tears with his next sentence.

“Semper Fidelis Marines, we will come back for you! Whether in a Colossus or an escape pod, I will come back for you!”

“We'll be waiting Commodore.” Derek replied over the radio. “And don't bother bringing the big guns, we'll have this planet secured by tomorrow.”

“Stay frosty Marines.” That was the last we heard from the good Commodore.

*This quote definatley applies.
You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are.
Father Kevin Keaney
1st Marine Division Chaplain
Korean War*

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 23:16

Sorry for not updating in a while, that is if any of you are actually reading this story.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Wed, 24. Mar 10, 23:45

*UPDATE* Pay attention to the dates.

0730 hours, 23 February 768, Argon Colossus 5831 “Saratoga”, Commodore Dave Harrison

“Morning Commodore.” Colonel Seldon greeted me as entered the bridge.

“Whats the word today Colonel?” I asked.

“1,500 wounded, 500 dead, 100 missing.” Replied Seldon reading off a clipboard.

“Commodore we have an incoming message from HighComm.” my communications officer reported.

“Put it on the main screen” I replied.

The main screen came to life showing the weathered face of Admiral Morrison.

“All vessels, stop whatever actions you are involved in and report to Argon Prime.”

“Comm get me a secure channel to HighComm.” I ordered after pondering the transmission for a few seconds.

“Whats the emergency Commodore? Didn't you get the message?” Admiral Morrison replied.

“I did Admiral, and I regret to inform you that I cannot obey this order.”

“Why not Commodore?”

“We still have men on the ground here Sir, they need us.”

“And we need your ship Commodore”

“Sir, I request permission to stay here and take command of our Supply Mammoth.”

“Permission denied Commodore, report to Prime now.”

“Admiral, I can't leave these Marines behind. Theres a whisper in their hearts thats like a scream in their lungs, that says we will be here to back them up! I will not leave them behind!”

“Its not up to you Commodore! Now you and your crew report to Prime. Now!” And the transmission ended.

“Comm.” I didn't have a choice. “All hands broadcast” My eyes started to burn with tears, but I held them back.

“Aye sir” my communication officer replied. “We're ready to broadcast sir.”

“Thank you lieutenant.” I replied.

“Marines” my voice sounded gruff and mournful. “The 4th Federal Fleet has taken out almost two thirds of the split defence fleet. High Command has ordered the Saratoga and Argonia to report to Argon Prime. We are leaving you behind. If it was up to me we would stay here. But we have to end this war somehow. We're taking the fight to the Patriarch himself.”

I was on the verge of tears.

“Semper Fidelis Marines, we will come back for you! Whether in a Colossus or an escape pod, I will come back for you!”

“We'll be waiting Commodore.” A voice replied over the radio. “And don't bother bringing the big guns, we'll have this planet secured by tomorrow.”

“Stay frosty Marines.” I replied a tear weaving its way down my face. I closed the channel.

“Navigation, get us out of here.”

“Aye Sir”

hedge0035
x3tc

Post by hedge0035 » Fri, 26. Mar 10, 02:00

just to let you know im reading it, its pretty good so far, keep it up.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Fri, 26. Mar 10, 04:02

*UPDATE*

1230 hours, 2 March 768, 5 miles east of Landing Zone Victor, Sergeant Jon Rictiff

I moved in the shadows during the day, it didn't matter during the night. Split patrols wander
this planet continuously. I couldn't walk twenty feet to take a piss without having to hit the dirt atleast once. I jumped to the next piece of cover I could find, a fallen tree. After I made sure nobody saw me I looked around. Two feet to my left under the cover of a palm leaf I found a helmet. A Marine's helmet.
On the side of it written in black marker was “Sarna”. As I held the helmet in my hand my vision wandered farther. Leaning against another fallen tree near several craters was a body in standard Marine Armor. As I moved towards the body of who I assumed was a man named “Sarna” I spotted several other bodies. Nine to be exact. All of them Split. Some had shrapnel wounds, others looked like their were killed by one of our rifles. Three of them who were a lot closer to the Marine had knife wounds. One had his skull bashed with a rifle butt.

As I neared the dead Marine I made out some chevrons on him. He was a Sergeant. Apparently a very talented Sergeant. But one wouldn't expect anything less of an Argon Marine. I buried him. Rifle stuck in the ground, helmet mounted on the rifle. The Split bodies layed in a semi-circle around him. Another tally mark on the KIA list that I would transmit to the Saratoga at 1900.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Fri, 26. Mar 10, 13:55

The unsung heroes of the X-Universe.

"M.I. does the dying. Fleet just does the flying" - Casper Van Dien as Johnny Rico.

While I love the chatter and the realism, Im not sure who Im rooting for. Obviously not the Split. Maybe have the marine give a flashback to Basic or AIT? A little bit of background on the 'main' character will carry this story far.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Fri, 26. Mar 10, 18:34

*UPDATE*

0300 hours, 15 September 760, Camp Shujomi, Derek Gardan

I was cold, very, very cold. I don't know what time it is. It must be very early or very late. Its pitch black except for the stars and satellites that shine down from above. I'm in a line with several other men, there is a short man in front of us, he is standing stock still. His face is hidden under the brim of a duty cap.

“Welcome to Camp Shujomi” his overly loud voice startles all of us. It sounds like a cross between a bear and a lion roaring and trying to talk at the same time. It chills me to the soul.

“From this point on, you have no rites, you do not own any possesions. You do not own yourself anymore. It all belongs to the Argon Marine Corps.” It sounded like the stereo-typical drill sergeant. Always yelling and demeaning us recruits.

“From now on you will only talk in the third person point of view. For those of you country bumpkins out there it means you will no longer say I or me. You will only refer to yourself as this recruit.” He continued explaining the rest of the rules of, according to him, his camp. All the while managing to insult everyone of us, without resulting to foul language.

Training was long, and hard. When I came in to Camp Shujomi my unit was the size of a company. Little by little it was whittled down until we were only the size of a platoon. Some died, others wounded too seriously to continue, some just couldn't take it anymore and left.

I remember the exercise that truly separated those that would be Marines and those that would move on to other less prideful occupations. Sergeant Cortis, our drill sergeant, told us we would be hitching a ride on a centaur heading to Ringo. Halfway to the gate the power failed. Then the oxygen started leaking out of the ship. We found several hull breaches and had to don our armor and seal it from the vacuum. The ships crew were nowhere to be found. After a few hours our sanity started to slip away. One man threw himself out the airlock, without his suit sealed. I too thought of doing the same, all this would be over, it would be so easy. No more drills in the middle of the night. No more live fire exercises. It would be grand.

But looking around at my colleagues, no, my brothers I realized we all needed each other. To stay sane. To persevere and carry on. Suddenly Sergeant Cortis's words earlier that day made sense. “Marines don't leave anybody behind.” And I wouldn't leave my brothers.

“Sharjan!” I yelled his name.

“What?” he replied.

“Find the emergency lockers”

“Um...okay”

“Seldon!” I shouted another name.

“Yea?” he replied.

“Take two guys with you, find some flashlights, and mark the hull breaches.”

“Can do”

“The rest of you try and help the others, i'm going outside.”

“Why?” asked Sharjan.

“We don't leave anybody behind, dead or alive.”

After a couple hours we had the breaches fixed and the power running. Cortis came over the radio congratulating us a job well done. I was offered a chance to become an officer, but I realized i'd rather be one of the guys than somebody sitting around at a CP.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Sat, 27. Mar 10, 08:25

*UPDATE*

1800 hours, 23 March 768, Rally Point Whiskey, Sergeant Derek Gardan

One month. One month of humidity, disease, combat, and everything else that can ale an Argon Marine stranded on a split planet. We spent a week in and around the area of Landing Zone Victor. Another week at Rally Point Echo. Which leads us to our current position, Rally Point Whiskey. Most of us are wounded in some way or another. Such is the life of an Argon Marine.

Death and disease is a common occurrence here on Chi'tch. But we persevere, there really isn't a reason too. Sure there's the obvious reasons, like family,life,friend, etc. But even if we do make it back. How are we supposed to explain what went on out here, on the fringe?

Nobody back home really cares about us. Besides our parents, but they really have no idea what goes on out here. The civilian populace just goes on with their lives. Oblivious to the fact that they are 1700 Marines are out here fighting a guerrilla war against a bloodthirsty enemy. They just carry on drinking their high priced caffeinated drinks, while I break a promise to a dead Marine. I promised them all that'd i'd get them back to their families. Twenty times over i've failed to keep my promise.

I think about suicide on a regular basis. We all do. Some have already acted on it. But I keep up hope. When Commodore Dave Harrison makes a promise, he keeps it. Even if its just rescue some dirty, grimy, foul minded, beautiful little SOB's like us.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Thu, 1. Apr 10, 22:36

*UPDATE*

0430 hours, 25 March 768, Near Split supply depot, Sergeant Derek Gardan

“Gather round Marines, I have news.” The first good news I'd given since we found a crashed express that was carrying ammo. “Buckets off.” After I removed my own helmet. “Last night, Corporal Perez's fireteam overheard a split officer briefing his troops. Like I am right now. Family Pride is under siege and estimated to fall within forty-two days.” A look of hope overwhelmed their faces. “At the helm of the Argon fleet are two carriers. The Argonia.” A mix of looks came over the men. Some looked pissed, because the Argonia was our air support, and it was currently helping other units. Some looked like they could care less. “And the Saratoga.” Their eyes brightened.

“Now moving on to why we're outside a supply depot. Several transports are landed here. We are going to eliminate all hostiles in the depot. While we do that, Alpha company is going to use the transports to board that hulled mammoth thats sitting in orbit. If we do this right, the split in this depot won't be able to get off a distress call. This is going to be our base for about a week.”

“Why are we going to make this our base sir? Won't the split find out we took it over?” A young private asked.

“Because in a about a week you're going to see a flash in orbit. That flash will be from a PTP jump. This depot has several landing pads and will make boarding the Saratoga's shuttles easier.” I replied revealing my final piece of news. “Report to your squad leaders for your roles in this op.

I gave the word twenty minutes later and our snipers opened up. After the snipers fired their volley eighty Argon Marines gave a battlecry and rushed into the base, myself included. Energy bolts sailed throughout the air around us before 7.62mm rounds turned their masters into pulps of alien flesh.

1230 hours, 25 March 768, Split supply depot, Sergeant Derek Gardan

The air smelled of cordite and singed flesh, and also burnt hair? I walked around trying to find the source of the last smell. As I rounded the corner of the comms shack I found it. Two marines had taken several split prisoners and were in the process of burning off their beards. These Split would be most certainly reduced to peons when they are rescued by their kinsmen.

Defenses were being prepared around the base. Trenches had been dug. Minefields are springing into existence as I speak. Several Caimans are touching down on the pads also. Their cargo racks filled with supplies. Most probably ammo, but hopefully more carried peaches. Peaches are like catnip to a Marine. Sweet, juicy, and most importantly...edible.
Last edited by hns194 on Fri, 2. Apr 10, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Fri, 2. Apr 10, 04:17

Split core sectors are falling? Argons have P2P jump tech?

Its indeed a strange but exciting universe you weave!

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Fri, 2. Apr 10, 06:40

Strange: Yes, exciting: a little bit

This story isn't going end with this planet just to let you know.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Sat, 3. Apr 10, 05:27

Last update for this chapter

0500 hours, 31 March 768, Northern Trench, Sergeant Derek Gardan

A light breeze wafted across the field in front of me. It would have been peaceful if there wasn't three split companies at the other end, where the field ended and the jungle started. It certainly didn't smell peaceful. Most of us haven't showered since February. In front of me, tied to 7ft posts spaced evenly across the line were prisoners we took four days ago. Brutish I know, but you try being stranded in a jungle hell for a month or more. Being hunted by these bearded bastards.

I would continue but, balls of plasma just started erupting out of the jungle. I raise my rifle waiting for the inevitable charge. But the charge never came, quite the opposite of what I was expecting. The jungle ceased to exist as the orange glow that could only come from several 2000 pound bombs engulfed the treeline. Overhead several Argon Elites flew low and fast. Their tail markings identifying them as the 3rd Marine Air Wing. Our brothers had returned for us.

0800 hours, 31 March 768. Split supply depot, Sergeant Derek Gardan

The last Marine boarded the TP and I prepared to embark. Giving a last look behind me at jungle. I remembered the hardships the men of the 1st Marine Division had endured. Several containers were also loaded onto the transport. They contained the belongings of every Marine that we buried. They would not be forgotten. For after this war is won we will return to retrieve our dead.

Among the dead we leave now is the body of Corporal Casey M. Niedermyer. He was in the army, but transferred to Marines. He had not the mind for us, but most certainly the heart and dedication to his fellow Marine. He died carrying a wounded man back to our position. The energy round hit him in the chest, but he kept going and made it back to our position. His last words were: “Marine's don't leave anybody behind.” And now we're leaving him. When we return for him he will be buried in Marine Corps dress blues. I'm sure thats how would want to be buried.

Split supply depot.

A small piece of paper wavers in the wind. Its taped on one end to the ground. If one were to read what it said they would see:

“Semper Fidelis, 'till we all come home”
31 March 768
Last edited by hns194 on Sat, 3. Apr 10, 07:13, edited 2 times in total.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Sat, 3. Apr 10, 05:28

If anybody wants the Open Office version of this just send me a PM.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Sat, 3. Apr 10, 17:24

OT: Are you having any issues with OOW 3.2? Each time I save a long revision, it crashes. On my linux distro OOW with 2.4, no issues. Sorry for the derail :roll:

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Sat, 3. Apr 10, 19:40

It hasn't crashed yet, surprisingly.

hns194
x3tc

Post by hns194 » Tue, 13. Apr 10, 04:16

Return to “Creative Universe”