although X2 is quite old, I have spent the last weeks on developing a universe generator engine for it. The aim is to create universes from scratch that do fit well into the gameplay. Sector layout, races, stations etc. should be well balanced. I'm using some of the files from XeHonk's editor, many thanks for that.
I just released an alpha version of the generator as an Open Source project, hosted on sourceforge. To use it, you need Java 6.
To download, follow this link:
Just download xuniversewizard-0.1-bin.zip. (the other archive contains the source code)
If you just want to have a quick overview, simply run the "build_default.bat". The program will create an X2 compatible galaxy map "output-x2galaxy.xml", that you can either open with XeHonk's editor or load in the in-game editor.
Currently, the universes created will be playable only with some restrictions. For instance, there are no ships in the sectors, no equipment docks, no shipyards and some other stuff is missing too, see below for more details.
Features already implemented:
- Various settings for the generator engine, contained in an XML build file, like universe size, race balancing, pirate sectors, number of asteroids etc. More information how to alter the generator settings can be found here: http://xuniversewizard.wiki.sourceforge ... figuration
- Creates Sectors of all races, including Xenon, Khaak and Unknown as well as gates to connect them
- Creates stations in each sector (except Xenon, Khaak, Unknown). The stations will be created in a way that overall gameplay will be balenced!
- Creates asteroids, planets and suns and sets sector background images
- Creating shipyards and equip docks
- Creating free ships in the sectors
- Generating content for Xenon, Khaak and Unknown sectors
- Nebulae, sector names, soundtracks and various other details
- Support for X3: Reunion
Since this was designed as an Open Source project, everybody should feel invited to participate! You will need coding abilities in Java and/or XSLT. Just send me a message if you are interested.
The source code is available for download on the project homepage. You may also access the SVN. The main topic that I would like to have someone supporting me is the design for X3 or even X3 TC. Since my hardware is quite old, I most certainly am not able to do the translation of the engine for the newer games.
Feedback much appreciated!