Adding Models to Positions along Highway Path

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 19:20

subst is for substitute - it replaces files ;)
but i strongly discourage this method except if there is no other way (and, except for lua stuff, there is another way for sure ;) )

related to your problem: just compared with the original Map file:
A) The Connection Name does not specify anythihg which could be placed at that connection (there are exceptions to this, but i doubt you used this method)
B) (related to a) you didnt specify a Macro what kind of Object should be placed there - Objects placed in Space must be a macro, a component File is not enough (at least i couldnt find a case where a component is used directly in the Map)
C) there is no ref="highwaymidgate" in vanilla, try ref="anything" for tests (you can add these in other files of course, but first goal is it to make these midgates to appear right? ;) )
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 20:14

cool.

What is the point of the "ref=?" What does it do?

Is there a file where I need to add "ref=" to the game?

So it was my thought that I would have to add the component line under an already pre-existing macro for that zone.

Do you think I could basically add props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro to the end of zones.xml and identify every single location it should load in every zone in the game? (which would be easier to do)

My fear is that I have to identify coordinates per zone, what I was hoping for is the entire game has coordinates, and the zones are just a small area of a much larger map?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 20:35

LordSneazy wrote:cool.

What is the point of the "ref=?" What does it do?
i think it had something to do with render range. Anything was under unlimited there - but not completely sure about that, there could also be more to it or it may be somethig diffrent with similiar names
LordSneazy wrote:Is there a file where I need to add "ref=" to the game?
i saw these values recently in the libraries/renderparam_library.xml, but not entirely sure
LordSneazy wrote:So it was my thought that I would have to add the component line under an already pre-existing macro for that zone.

Do you think I could basically add props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro to the end of zones.xml and identify every single location it should load in every zone in the game? (which would be easier to do)
yep, my thought was to add them per Zone, and if necesary create some static "temporary" Zones if no Zone is near enough
LordSneazy wrote:My fear is that I have to identify coordinates per zone, what I was hoping for is the entire game has coordinates, and the zones are just a small area of a much larger map?
practically they are, but no tangible Objects are defined at Sector Level or higher, just intangible Things like Planets, Regions and Highways - so it might work, but would require more Work & Research. and i think this way may cause precision issues, which is probably the reason nothing is defined above these Levels except the stuff where you are unlikely to notice

And if you get the Gates InGame some feedback if the Placement is fine this way would be great - i could look into more automation for your purpose then ;)

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 04:14

Got several errors and otherwise fixed them. However, still ended with only this error from the below code. Which I guess is an improvement.

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] Failed to create macro 'props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro' from file 'maps\xu_ep1_universe\zones'

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 
<diff> 
  <add sel="/macros"> 
	<macro name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro">
		<connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate" ref="anything"> 
		  <offset> 
			<position x="1072.258" y="-34.851" z="-2049.797" />
			<rotation yaw="0.252826" pitch="0.0327316" roll="-0.032666" /> 
		  </offset> 
		</connection> 
	</macro>
  </add> 
 </diff>
Which the macro is referenced in my library macro

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

<diff>
<add sel="/index"><entry name="props_lordjack_highway_entrance_macro" value="\Extensions\highwaysystem\assets\props\highwayelements\Macros\props_lordjack_highway_entrance_macro" /></add>
<add sel="/index"><entry name="props_lordjack_highway_exit_macro" value="\Extensions\highwaysystem\assets\props\highwayelements\Macros\props_lordjack_highway_exit_macro" /></add>
<add sel="/index"><entry name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" value="\Extensions\highwaysystem\assets\props\highwayelements\Macros\props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" /></add>
<add sel="/index"><entry name="props_lordjack_highway_stream_macro" value="\Extensions\highwaysystem\assets\props\highwayelements\Macros\props_lordjack_highway_stream_macro" /></add>
</diff>

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 19:48

Any suggestions on why my macro doesn't work?

I can submit zip of WIP.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 21:24

sorry, forgot that i wanted to reply here ^^''
LordSneazy wrote:

<entry name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" value="\Extensions\highwaysystem\assets\props\highwayelements\Macros\props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" /></add>
<add sel="/index">
this implies you want to add a new macro, but your file here:

LordSneazy wrote:

<diff> 
  <add sel="/macros"> 
	<macro name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro">
		<connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate" ref="anything"> 
		  <offset> 
			<position x="1072.258" y="-34.851" z="-2049.797" />
			<rotation yaw="0.252826" pitch="0.0327316" roll="-0.032666" /> 
		  </offset> 
		</connection> 
	</macro>
  </add> 
 </diff>
is a diff file (to which file btw?) not a new macro

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 00:16

The DIFF file is the zone.xml. Which you said earlier that I would have to add a macro to the zone XML to make it work.

So I'm confused about how to write this. The original props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro is just pointing to the prop.

So for the Zone file I was hoping I just had to point out the prop macro, and place locations and HUZAAH! It would appear.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 01:57

i experimented a bit and finally got it InGame ;) there were multiple things not right in your package which made error hunt a bit difficult, but it works now ^^
i will now remove my experimental stuff, clean, comment and optimize the files a bit and make a package ;) (for now there is just a single midgate added to show what to do, i think from there you can figure out the rest yourself ;) )

EDIT:
here it is ;) - also included a slightly improved version of my coordinate Log (added handling for the case no Zone is nearby)

and also found out why the zones.xml dislikes editing for some people: this file is CASE SENSITIVE for diff files, although InGame the entries there are converted to lower case (therefore my Script can only return it in lower case, although CamelCase is needed)

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 02:56

Unitrader your AWESOME!

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 06:08

The model didn't load for me in the game. Also when I was collecting data I was getting a lot of errors. I was wondering. Did you set any settings to only allow only data from your script to save to the Text because I'm getting a lot of errors from other mods and game stuff. Also, anyway you can set the record position script to a button, so I can turn it off when I'm don't need coordinates?

Also, is the log coordinates in aiscripts a part of the one that's in md? Or, are these 2 different versions?

Also, in your 7z file is the CAT file the one you created or was this mine? If it's mine, how did you test without packaging it back into a CAT file?

[=ERROR=] Invalid float value set in acceleration: Linear(-0.000000 -0.000000 1.#QNAN0) Angular(-0.000000 -0.000000 -0.000000) - setting to zero [@Matthias]
After it recorded about 15 locations all I got was this error

[=ERROR=] PosRot::Set() matrix-decompose failed(
1.#QNAN0	1.#QNAN0	1.#QNAN0	1.#QNAN0
)

Also, would it be fine to do it this way? Or just as one connection?

<diff>
  <!-- NOTE: Names are CASE SENSITIVE in this file, even if thats not the case InGame, where just small letters are returned -->
  <add sel="//macro[@name='tzoneCluster_B_Sector05_Zone24_macro']/connections" >
      <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="940.401" y="-45.2021" z="-2605.935" /><rotation yaw="0.286126" pitch="0.0472745" roll="-0.0261849" /></offset> 
        <macro ref="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro"/>
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="2686.098" y="-34.7969" z="8955.547" /><rotation yaw="0.115333" pitch="7.5449e-006" roll="-0.0172564" /></offset> 
        <macro ref="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro"/>
      </connection>
  </add>
    <add sel="//macro[@name='tzoneCluster_B_Sector04_Zone28_macro']/connections" >
        <offset><position x="568.359" y="12.6953" z="1515.625" /><rotation yaw="1.64886" pitch="0.129655" roll="-0.0404048" /></offset> 
      </connection>
       <offset><position x="42827.328" y="22.8767" z="7253.305" /><rotation yaw="1.26463" pitch="-0.00100358" roll="-0.0398919" /></offset> 
      </connection>
        <offset><position x="-78626.969" y="10426.479" z="84165.852" /><rotation yaw="1.37445" pitch="0.370755" roll="0.0201784" /></offset> 
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="-8301.727" y="-2136.418" z="2212.25" /><rotation yaw="1.56579" pitch="0.0973724" roll="0.00571551" /></offset>
      </connection>
</diff>

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 07:42

Okay I got a a minigate and midgate to load. But it seems like per sector it only wants one. The minigate also was unable to fly through.

I think for some reason the CAT files were messing things up and once i deleted them it was showing my updates.

Here is what I did thus far.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uihk49qixkd4i ... m.rar?dl=0

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 12:07

every object per Zone needs a diffrent connection Name ;) just add a number there, thats enough ^^ (and yes, they need diffrent connections)

and for the md and ai: the md file is just a helper which starts the aiscript on loading, the aiscript alone is responsible for looging coordinates - this is just the quick & dirty method because i didnt figure out yet how hotkeys could be used & usind an NPC seemed too complicated for me

and yes, the cats were yours originals, i have the -prefersinglefiles parameter on by default for testing so i dindt notice that they were still there

and one more hint to reduce time for collecting Data: you can add this to the mdfile un the actions node:

<find_zone name="$Zone" macro="macro.MAP_UT_ZON_OL_OSY_Zone01_macro"/>
        <warp object="player.primaryship" zone="$Zone" >
          <position x="0m" y="0m" z="-5km"/>
        </warp>
just replace the Zone macro with the one where you want to start ;) it will place you there on any gamestart so you dont need to fly to the target location first ;)

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 02:17

Naming the connection with new numbers, like so?

Also, do you need to start a new game to see the change? I was trying to rotate one of the gates, and i kept changing the positions but nothing changed in game.

<diff>
  <!-- NOTE: Names are CASE SENSITIVE in this file, even if thats not the case InGame, where just small letters are returned -->
  <add sel="//macro[@name='tzoneCluster_B_Sector05_Zone24_macro']/connections" >
      <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro1" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="940.401" y="-45.2021" z="-2605.935" /><rotation yaw="0.286126" pitch="0.0472745" roll="-0.0261849" /></offset> 
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro2" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="2686.098" y="-34.7969" z="8955.547" /><rotation yaw="0.115333" pitch="7.5449e-006" roll="-0.0172564" /></offset> 
      </connection>
  </add>
  <add sel="//macro[@name='tzoneCluster_B_Sector04_Zone28_macro']/connections" >
      <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro3" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="568.359" y="12.6953" z="1515.625" /><rotation yaw="1.64886" pitch="0.129655" roll="-0.0404048" /></offset> 
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro4" ref="anything">
       <offset><position x="42827.328" y="22.8767" z="7253.305" /><rotation yaw="1.26463" pitch="-0.00100358" roll="-0.0398919" /></offset> 
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_minigate_macro5" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="-78626.969" y="10426.479" z="84165.852" /><rotation yaw="1.37445" pitch="0.370755" roll="0.0201784" /></offset> 
      </connection>
	  <connection name="props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro6" ref="anything">
        <offset><position x="-8301.727" y="-2136.418" z="2212.25" /><rotation yaw="1.56579" pitch="0.129655" roll="0.00571551" /></offset>
      </connection>
	</add>
</diff>

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 03:37

So I've got a tons of gates into the game. A couple issues. They line up, but not close enough. I think there needs to be more decimal places in the coordinates.

So I mapped the coordinates of the entire Far Out sector. Maybe it's because I put it under tzonecluster_B_sector04_zone28, but there aren't any gates until i show up in the next sector. There aren't any in the sector I entered the gate in.

The other issue is they don't seem to let me fly through them. I created collision with the hole in the center, I don't understand why it's bouncing me back.

Also, the rotation is off. I think that might be a simple matter of the gates are not in line of the direction the ship is flying.

What do you think?

Here are some images of the gates in line, sort of....

http://i.imgur.com/S7kIePq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8dKYzdb.jpg

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 06:10

related to the rotation issue: seems i was "lucky" when i did my test because the Gate i tested was aligned to the north/Front of the Sector and therefore it aligned almost correctly because the Game returns radians for the rotation, but seems to expect degrees as rotation value in the macros/components.. i think you can solve this by modifying the
player.primaryship.yaw
to
player.primaryship.yaw*360/3.141 (or simpler player.primaryship.yaw*114.592 )
and likewise for pitch and roll

for the position problem: no idea currently, will look into that today evening

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 28. Oct 14, 21:01

(double-post because last answer was half a day ago)

ok, i just looked into the script-side of positioning.. the Positions are correct inside the Script itself (placement was absolutely fine InGame when i placed the Gates during a test run via script) - so no idea whats wrong with the offset.. a Code Snippet where it went wrong might be interesting (for example the diff code for a single Zone)

additionally i made some improvements to the script:
-> some comments added where to change values for timing/distance and Zone Size
-> Debuglog output is now only in Tubes and much clearer (Message for entered Tube, changed Position Origin to a Zone, changed Position Origin to the Sector, and of course the Positions)
-> corrected angle value from radians to degrees
-> first Gate is skipped because its same pos as Entry Gate
-> can place midgates during flythrough (kicks you out on entering when midgate has collisions, therefore deactivated)

since it is very short here just the Code for C&P:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<aiscript xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" name="log.coordinates.in.tube" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://utnas/~unitrader/XRebirthxsds/aiscripts.xsd">
  <params>

</params>
  <attention min="unknown">
    <actions>
      <do_while value="true">
        <wait exact="10s"> <!-- you can change the distance between mid-gates with this parameter - it defines the time between the position outputs -->
          <interrupt>
            <conditions>
              <event_object_changed_zone object="player.primaryship"/>
            </conditions>
            <actions>
            <do_if  value="player.primaryship.zone.isclass.highway" >
              <debug_text text="'Player entered Highway %s'.[player.primaryship.zone.macro]" filter="general"/>
              <set_value name="$entered_tube" exact="true" />
            </do_if>
            </actions>
          </interrupt>
        </wait>
        <find_zone name="$newzone" tempzone="false" priorityzone="true" multiple="false" >
          <match_distance object="player.primaryship" max="50km" /> <!-- this Value defines as how big Zones should be treated - 50 km is absolutely safe, but higher valuses should work, too (dont set it too high - this command seems to pick any in range, not necesarily the nearest -->
        </find_zone>
        <do_if value="$newzone == null" >
          <set_value name="$newzone" exact="player.primaryship.sector" />
        </do_if>
        <do_if value="$newzone != @$zone or $entered_tube?" >
          <set_value name="$zone" exact="$newzone" />
          <do_if value="$zone.isclass.zone" >
            <debug_text text="'Coordinates now inside/relative to %s'.[$zone.macro]" filter="general"/>
          </do_if>
          <do_else>
            <debug_text text="'Coordinates now inside/relative to %s - THE SECTOR !!!!!!!!!!'.[$zone.macro]" filter="general"/>
          </do_else>
        </do_if>
        <create_position name="$position" space="$zone" object="player.primaryship"/>
        <show_notification caption="'POSITION AND ROTATION:'" details="[$zone.name,$position.x,$position.y,$position.z,player.primaryship.rotation.yaw,player.primaryship.rotation.pitch,player.primaryship.rotation.roll]" timeout="2.9s"/>
        <do_if  value="player.primaryship.zone.isclass.highway and not $entered_tube?" >
          <debug_text text="'<offset><position x="%s" y="%s" z="%s" /><rotation yaw="%s" pitch="%s" roll="%s" /></offset>'.[$position.x,$position.y,$position.z,player.primaryship.rotation.yaw*114.592,player.primaryship.rotation.pitch*114.592,player.primaryship.rotation.roll*114.592]" filter="general"/>
          <!-- Testing Option - create the Gates along the Path ( add "nocollisions" tag to all connections in the midgate macro and/or component for testing or it will kick you out on entering!!!! ) -->
          <do_if value="$zone.isclass.zone and false" > <!-- remove "and false" here to create midgates during flythrough -->
            <create_object macro="macro.props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" zone="$zone" ><position value="$position" /><rotation yaw="player.primaryship.rotation.yaw" pitch="player.primaryship.rotation.pitch" roll="player.primaryship.rotation.roll"/></create_object>
          </do_if>
        </do_if>
        <remove_value name="$entered_tube" />
      </do_while>
    </actions>
  </attention>
</aiscript>

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Wed, 29. Oct 14, 05:32

Could you explain that testing part to me??? Does this mean it's going to populate when I'm getting the coordinates? So I can see where it will go before I add it to the xml?

<!-- Testing Option - create the Gates along the Path ( add "nocollisions" tag to all connections in the midgate macro and/or component for testing or it will kick you out on entering!!!! ) --> 
          <do_if value="$zone.isclass.zone and false" > <!-- remove "and false" here to create midgates during flythrough --> 
            <create_object macro="macro.props_lordjack_highway_midgate_macro" zone="$zone" ><position value="$position" /><rotation yaw="player.primaryship.rotation.yaw" pitch="player.primaryship.rotation.pitch" roll="player.primaryship.rotation.roll"/></create_object> 

Also, I see now your script is more precise to the Zone, which should help. I'm about to test it.

Just curious, if the issue was that I had coordinates but it was assigned to the wrong zone, what about the space between zones? I assume that that's what this is about, correct? It doesn't give an exact zone, and I noticed this macro is not in the original zones.xml.

Coordinates now inside/relative to cluster_b_sector04_macro - THE SECTOR !!!!!!!!!!

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Wed, 29. Oct 14, 06:33

Much better. Just tested it. I think it was a matter of I put all of the coordinates under Zone28, while some of them were in Zone27. Previously it didn't show me the correct zones.

Although, The rotation of the gates are not lined up for the ship to fly through on most of them. I didn't change the thing you said to do in the previous post though.

Contemplating whether I should redo the model to a 90 degree turn or not. Or, follow your previous instructions.

I moved it to repeat every 3 seconds, and it's not enough gates at the higher speed. So i'll either have to slow down while I get coordinates, or increase it to every 1s... which might bog down the computer.

I think we are almost there. Pretty soon I can get all the coordinates in all the areas and release a new patch.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 29. Oct 14, 10:00

did you copy the code in my previous post? because i included the changes with the alignment there (only in the logfile output though)

and for the timing: dont worry about that, i think you could reduce that to 1 ms and still woulnt notice it (until there are too many gates ofc :D)

maybe there is a simple way to change it to distance, but i didnt find any interrupt for something like distance greater than X, so this needs to be done diffrently

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Wed, 29. Oct 14, 15:21

I did copy your new code. I'll submit my zones document to you when I take lunch. Do you think a mod could be interfering with the coordinate? I do have that cravtz field of view mod.

Most of the gates were a direct 90 degrees off alignment. While more gates near the end I actually went through the loop, it wasn't perfectly aligned but close. Which actually bothers me more. Because if it's a matter of turning the gate 90 degrees on the model, then all the ones that were close are going to be way off.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”