when will Egosoft put in adjustments for deadzones for joystick?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nick 031287
x3tc

when will Egosoft put in adjustments for deadzones for joystick?

Post by Nick 031287 » Sun, 26. Jan 14, 23:17

i hounestly cant play this game untill they let us adjust the radius of the deadzone on the joystick... its like i move my stick slightly... nothing, move it bit more... nothing. and a bit more.... oh there i go.. damn it i missed the target gotta carefully move back round an guess where deadzone stops... i cant fly like this trying to get use to where the deadzone is i cant make accurate shots... i refuse to play this game untill egosoft implements more advanced option features so i can actually adjust dead zoning....

X3 had the options for adjustments. and my X52 pro is spot on accurate with manuevers... i like precision!

RATAK
x3tc

Post by RATAK » Mon, 27. Jan 14, 00:36

+1 For me is the same, I don't think it is rocket science to let us choose the deadzone, or at least deactivate is so we can use our drivers to control it. I'm not playing this game until at least this is solved, I hope to be alive to play it.

NGR
x3tc

Post by NGR » Mon, 27. Jan 14, 02:23

Well I agree, but it is not only deadzones its the whole lack of support for the multiple controllers generally that causes a lot of frustration.

I have an X52 pro as well and I managed to get it running reasonably well after the first day of mucking around with the profiler and the game but subsequent patches of the game broke that connection. I have not been able to use the joystick and mouse combination since patch 1.17 and hence have not played the game since then.

How are you playing the game with the X52 pro now? How are you docking for instance? I can fly around in space o.k but as soon as I need to click on a menu item to dock the mouse simply will not select the menu item.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Mon, 27. Jan 14, 02:39

Something strange must be going on.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It has no dead zone. In fact if it didn't have that spring return to center it would be a pain to use.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 27. Jan 14, 10:58

@ NGR
Using X52 pro ..... same problems but if you rotate joystick (not twist ) you can highlight and select from menu ...... highlight and release joystick .. I know it is a poor solution. .... using Logitech m570 trackball, keyboard and x52pro.

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Tue, 28. Jan 14, 23:30

does anyone know if egosoft plans on adding ingame adjustment options for the X52?

my joystick is sitting here gathering dust... an feel i should have held back from getting it back in october. especially now star citizen confirmed there going to do a branded joystick, would have liked one of those but.. spose really its all the same but still. i feel irritated that not only i cant play X rebirth becuase half the features arnt even on the game... its damn difficult to fly when theres a large deadzone. and theres nothing else i can play the game with... except X3 which i played to death.... and star citizens dog fighting module isnt gonna be due for a month or so still :(

ronniejw
x3ap

Post by ronniejw » Sat, 19. Apr 14, 03:25

I have the same problem with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and even after EgoSoft added a control in Setup to adjust the Dead Zone it does absolutely nothing for my joystick. I still can’t play this game after buying it five months ago.

My joystick is set as the first device and is set up in the Space settings menu. I’ve adjusting both sensitivity and dead space (from one extreme to another at increments of 10) but neither control does anything at all. I re-calibrated my joystick several time already but that didn’t fix the problem.

This joystick works perfectly for me in X3 (very smooth and accurate) but not with Rebirth.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 19. Apr 14, 10:39

This is an excerpt from the thread for joystick support, a few pages but looks like everybody got the joystick working:
DocAce wrote:Hi everybody,

thanks for the feedback. Let me address the most common complaint first:

"Too High Sensitivity" / "Huge Deadzone" / "Jerky Movement"

This is almost certainly an issue in your input map, due to the fact that our current menu makes it really easy to make a mistake and not realize it:

There are 2 ways to make your ship steer. The first is an analog "range" that accepts all values from -1 to 1 and is used by sticks for example. The second is a digital "state", which is only ever 0 or 1, and is used by keys and buttons.

With a recent change it's possible to map an axis to a state - allowing you to use a stick to navigate menus as well. This allows you to also map "joystick left" to the "steer left" state, making it digital and not analog. You can fix this easily yourself by mapping the joystick axis to the values in "Steering II", which contains the ranges.

To make this mistake much less likely in the future, we're going to switch the order of these sections, so that the digital states will be below. That will be patched with RC4.
and
DocAce wrote:Hi earlcrow,

you probably mapped the joystick axes to the steering input in the Steering I section. If you read through this thread, other people had the same problem.

If you try again with RC3, map the joystick input in the Steering II section - if RC4 is already out when you read this you need to remap it to the Steering I section as we're switching the order around.
So try remapping to Steering I section as 1.30 is out.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15
Hope this helps.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

ronniejw
x3ap

Post by ronniejw » Mon, 21. Apr 14, 00:59

santi wrote:This is an excerpt from the thread for joystick support, a few pages but looks like everybody got the joystick working:
DocAce wrote:Hi everybody,

thanks for the feedback. Let me address the most common complaint first:

"Too High Sensitivity" / "Huge Deadzone" / "Jerky Movement"

This is almost certainly an issue in your input map, due to the fact that our current menu makes it really easy to make a mistake and not realize it:

There are 2 ways to make your ship steer. The first is an analog "range" that accepts all values from -1 to 1 and is used by sticks for example. The second is a digital "state", which is only ever 0 or 1, and is used by keys and buttons.

With a recent change it's possible to map an axis to a state - allowing you to use a stick to navigate menus as well. This allows you to also map "joystick left" to the "steer left" state, making it digital and not analog. You can fix this easily yourself by mapping the joystick axis to the values in "Steering II", which contains the ranges.

To make this mistake much less likely in the future, we're going to switch the order of these sections, so that the digital states will be below. That will be patched with RC4.
and
DocAce wrote:Hi earlcrow,

you probably mapped the joystick axes to the steering input in the Steering I section. If you read through this thread, other people had the same problem.

If you try again with RC3, map the joystick input in the Steering II section - if RC4 is already out when you read this you need to remap it to the Steering I section as we're switching the order around.
So try remapping to Steering I section as 1.30 is out.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15
Hope this helps.
This might as well be a different language because it doesn’t mean anything to me. I don’t understand why EgoSoft can’t get this fixed. I shouldn’t have to be some computer guru to use a joystick. I’m beginning to really hate this game and Egosoft for selling a broken game to me.

I appreciate you providing a link to this information but what I really want is for EgoSoft to provide some simple instructions on how to get my damn joystick working. This is just so frustrating.
:evil:

G0RYNYCH

Post by G0RYNYCH » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 09:36

I can confirm that deadzone problem still exists and It's still impossible to play with joystick.

Also there is another problem - I cannot use single joystick device.

I have total 3 physical devices:
1. HOTAS Warthog Joystick
2. HOTAS Warthog Throttle
3. CH Rudder Pedals pro.

Since 3 devices at once are not supported, I use vJoy driver to emulate all my devices as a single virtual joystick device. It works, but instead of using single vJoy device, the game forces me to select two devices, which makes conflict. I just cannot get rid of the second device in game settings.

About deadzone: I mapped joystick axes to Steering I (analog). But it doesn't solve deadzone problem. When I set deadzone to 0%, it still leave a small deadzone and I still cannot precisely aim at target.

Yes, in version 1.30 deadzone it not so big as before, but it still presents. I need to move stick at least 1 inch before it start moving the ship.

Dear Egosoft, please completely remove deadzone if It's set to 0%.

The worst thing is that I even cannot switch back to mouse steering. After I press SPACE, it toggles mouse steering for just a second and then stops reacting on it and switch back to joystick even If I never touched the joystick.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 13:21

Hi ronniejw,

sorry about the frustration. If I'm right this is due to an easy to make mistake in setting up your joystick, and here's how to see if this is actually the case, and how to fix it:

1) Go to Settings -> Controls -> Space

2) Select each input that you want to map in the topmost section, called "Steering" and set it to what you want on the joystick.

3) In the section below, called "Steering II", make sure that you don't have sticks or sliders still mapped there. That section is for keys and buttons, not for analog inputs like sticks and sliders. If something like "X Axis (-)" or something similar appears in there then that input will feel like something with a huge deadzone, because it's interpreted as a button.

4) If this still doesn't work for you I'd like to ask you to send me your config file and input map - you can find these in your Documents folder, under egosoft\x rebirth\[your steam account number]. The files are inputmap.xml and config.xml, you can send them to me directly at matthias@egosoft.com

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 13:36

G0RYNYCH wrote:Since 3 devices at once are not supported, I use vJoy driver to emulate all my devices as a single virtual joystick device. It works, but instead of using single vJoy device, the game forces me to select two devices, which makes conflict. I just cannot get rid of the second device in game settings.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm aware that the current support is not enough, and further improvements are in the works.
G0RYNYCH wrote:About deadzone: I mapped joystick axes to Steering I (analog). But it doesn't solve deadzone problem. When I set deadzone to 0%, it still leave a small deadzone and I still cannot precisely aim at target.

Yes, in version 1.30 deadzone it not so big as before, but it still presents. I need to move stick at least 1 inch before it start moving the ship.

Dear Egosoft, please completely remove deadzone if It's set to 0%.
This is a little bit odd, because I'm sure that I removed a bug that caused this to happen for 1.30, but when testing on Steam I also notice what you describe - I set the deadzone to 0, but have to move the stick quite a bit before anything moved ingame. This is of course not intended.
Since I can no longer reproduce this bug in our internal version I'd bet that this was just an unfortunate oversight and that it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.
Sorry about that...
G0RYNYCH wrote:The worst thing is that I even cannot switch back to mouse steering. After I press SPACE, it toggles mouse steering for just a second and then stops reacting on it and switch back to joystick even If I never touched the joystick.
Another odd thing. The game switches to the joystick mode only when a joystick axis (excluding sliders) moves above a certain threshold, so this makes me think that something "rests" at a position that is not 0, but maybe something like -1. Maybe it's the pedals, but in any case this is also just a bug, since the mode should only be activated when the input changes enough, and this is also going to be fixed in an upcoming patch.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 15:23

Just to add a positive note .. Using X52 Pro joystick and everything appears to work perfectly ... No Deadzone plus I can use Joystick for everything I need from Boarding, Docking, Info etc ..... One happy customer here.

G0RYNYCH

Post by G0RYNYCH » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 18:37

Thank you, DocAce. I hope it will be fixed in the next patch.

By the way, I'd suggest to accept inputs from both mouse and joystick simultaneously. It's much more convenient if I can move mouse cursor to select target or click something while flying on joystick.

You may look at Diaspora game as reference, it's free project based on old FreeSpace engine and developed by a group of fans. The game is not so fancy as Rebirth, but they implemented perfect Joystick/Mouse controls. This is probably the most convenient joystick based control I've ever seen in space-sims. The only drawback they have is inability to use multipe joystick devices, but vJoy solves this problem. You may download and try Disapora for free from this site:

Code: Select all

Game installer: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0
Latest patch: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87289.0 
I think you can make joystick/mouse controls even better as you already support multiple devices.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 19:46

G0RYNYCH wrote:By the way, I'd suggest to accept inputs from both mouse and joystick simultaneously. It's much more convenient if I can move mouse cursor to select target or click something while flying on joystick.
This is actually going to be possible in an upcoming patch as well - turning off "gamepad mode" is the option you're going to want to look for then. The game will then no longer turn off the mouse cursor or auto-select targets for you.

G0RYNYCH

Post by G0RYNYCH » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 21:27

Oh, that would be great!

BTW, I can help you with the testing of the new patch. When it's ready, just provide me with beta version patch and instructions and I'll test it thoroughly with both my 3-device HOTAS hardware set and vJoy single-device variant.

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 22. Apr 14, 22:15

Thanks! There will most likely be a public beta before the patch is released, you can find information on how to participate here and here.

ronniejw
x3ap

Post by ronniejw » Wed, 23. Apr 14, 05:43

DocAce wrote:Hi ronniejw,

sorry about the frustration. If I'm right this is due to an easy to make mistake in setting up your joystick, and here's how to see if this is actually the case, and how to fix it:

1) Go to Settings -> Controls -> Space

2) Select each input that you want to map in the topmost section, called "Steering" and set it to what you want on the joystick.

3) In the section below, called "Steering II", make sure that you don't have sticks or sliders still mapped there. That section is for keys and buttons, not for analog inputs like sticks and sliders. If something like "X Axis (-)" or something similar appears in there then that input will feel like something with a huge deadzone, because it's interpreted as a button.

4) If this still doesn't work for you I'd like to ask you to send me your config file and input map - you can find these in your Documents folder, under egosoft\x rebirth\[your steam account number]. The files are inputmap.xml and config.xml, you can send them to me directly at matthias@egosoft.com
Thank you for your response. Yes, I've checked all of that and everything is fine. I'll send you my files.

Cheers,
Ronnie

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 16:47

I've now been able to reproduce ronniejw's deadzone bug (oddly enough with a steering wheel!), it will be fixed in an upcoming patch.
Thanks for the help and patience!

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 29. Apr 14, 18:48

Now that does need to be seen .. playing Rebirth with a steering wheel .:o

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”