X Mods and Nexus Mods

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

[Nexus]Dark0ne

X Mods and Nexus Mods

Post by [Nexus]Dark0ne » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 15:34

Hi folks,

Robin from NexusMods.com here. A few of the members at Nexus Mods recently asked me if I had ever considered making a Nexus site for X2/3 mods. Truth of the matter is, before X2 came out I was hosting a site for X2 called X2 Source. If you're a vintage veteran of the community you might remember it from way back in 2004-2006. Unfortunately I went off to university and lost track of the site, and the site's creator, Raven, went in to the military, so it all got a bit hairy. Fast forward to the present and things are a lot different.

I just wanted to touch base with you, as a community, to see if you have any need for a Nexus site to host your mods. The X modding community has always been very centralised on the Egosoft forums, which is absolutely great and I'd never try to change that, but I think it comes as no surprise to anyone that it creates a relative barrier to entry for new comers who are simply looking for a user-friendly site to find and download mods for the game. I myself never got around to playing X3 (I think the steep learning curve I eventually mastered from X2 has put me off during the last few busy years!), and I'm just getting in to it now, but trying to find the myriad of different mods available for the game through these forums alone is a daunting task, irrespective of a particularly well maintained sticky thread at the top of the forums.

If the general consensus is that everything is fine and couldn't be improved upon, and that the majority are happy with how things are then that's great, there's no need for a Nexus site at all. However if you think there's room for improvement then by all means please air any constructive feedback you might have that might enable me to create a solution to the problem. Would a Nexus site be worthwhile for the X series? Would it be used? Have you ever used one of the Nexus sites for another game? How could they be improved to provide a better service to the X community?

If you've never heard of Nexus Mods, we're a modding community from multiple different games including Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights, Mount & Blade and World of Tanks. Coming up on 4.5 million members, we're one of, if not the largest dedicated modding communities on the internet.

Thanks to anyone who can air their feelings on the topic :)

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 16:09

As a member of the Nexus I would love to see an x nexus. It would definitely be very different, but I think (myself included) many people would love how you wouldn't have to wade through forums to find a single ship or script.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Tue, 28. Aug 12, 16:17

Sounds like a good way to get more exposure for a lot of very good X3 Mods. Having a mod advertised in a forum thread on the Egosoft website is one thing, having a site that has the throughput of the Nexus websites is another ;)

May even raise the profile of X3 TC/AP a bit in the process :D
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

DJ_D
x4

Post by DJ_D » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 01:12

As a frequent user of TES, Fallout, NV and Skyrim Nexus, I really would love to se a X-Nexus.

90% of my games mods come from there and having a database for the mods is a great idea. Everything in one spot and with links to the appropriate Egosoft forum threads could bring alt more people and their amazing modding skills to the x series. It might even spread the word about X.
"May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you´re dead" - Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect3
Alliance Normandy SR2 Mod

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 01:22

I'll donate, just let me know how and when... Seems like a win-win, Egosoft get a greater exposure and us modders get a larger fan base. :)
[ external image ]
IEX Download Statistics - LUVi / XRMi ( 3115 / 5415 )
X4 Crexit 324 ; X4 Encounters 3193 (STEAM Unique/Current 6341/3412)

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 01:33

I agree seems like a great idea; im just worried about the uptake - perhaps if an announcement is posted on the egosoft main site and a sticky thread here too - to make it easier for newcomers to the egosoft boards and old members returning to know that it exists.

Hopefully the mod makers post all there existing mods/scripts on there too - however lots of them are MIA. I guess we will have to see. Looking forward however this could be invaluable to X:Rebirth.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

vuohi
x4

Post by vuohi » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 20:32

I think it would be great. I am a big fan of the Nexus sites. Those of us who go there frequently appreciate it, and it helps spread mods around.

flopsies

Post by flopsies » Wed, 29. Aug 12, 21:47

There is only one thing that I think that would not work, which is people actually using it. There are almost no m and b mods, so will it actually be used

batolemaeus
x4

Post by batolemaeus » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 21:02

I think it's a great idea especially in preparation for the new game.

The current system is maintenance intensive and error prone due to the reliance on forum posts. There's no central hosting, links go dead eventually, some mods use .spk, some are manual install, some use custom installers..

A unified directory with tagging support like the nexus would be awesome. Imo you should get in touch with Egosoft directly. It makes business sense to make it easier to acquire and share mods. And you have no sense, you lose profitsss.

Chinz
x3

Post by Chinz » Thu, 30. Aug 12, 23:49

That would be fantastic, I am a regular user of your nexus sites and want to bestow my thanks on you for maintaining such a great website :)
It could really benefit the X franchise as well as you have an unbelievable amount of people visiting nexus every day. Thanks for the offer much appreciated
To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 04:36

My experience with such sites is that I upload the mods to them once, then totally forget about them. Mainly because there is nothing there that holds my attention. So where I have mods stored in such sites, they are probably long since out of date.

I host my own mods, so when one gets changed, its just uploaded onto my own download site.

In theory, I like the idea of a central place for all mods, but the reality of keeping it up to date hasnt been solved in any way that works for me.

Ideally, such a site needs to be self updating. So when I post on the thread here that an update has been uploaded, the site detects it and downloads the updated version itself. That way, its not dependent on people remembering to update the site as well as where they normally host.

Alternately, if a modder was to store host details, the site could check the host on a semi-regular basis, or triggerable basis, for anything new, and download it. Since most mods have a version number in the name of the file, new files should be detectable. By "triggerable", I mean event driven, such as 1 month after a new patch comes out, go looking for mod updates.

I know this probably means a lot of work for being able to access the different host systems, but a self updating site is the only way I see the concept working best. Certainly if you rely on my memory to keep my mods and scripts up to date on an external site, it isnt going to happen.

Also, bandwidth is a consideration. Uploading all my TC and AP stuff to a new site, would be a lot more bandwidth for me than I'd want to use. However, someone else downloading all my stuff off my site, is a different matter, as the site bandwidth (huge) is different than my access bandwidth (small).

Put another way, your welcome to copy all of my stuff to your site yourself, but relying on me to keep it up to date will mean is isnt. Each game has its own download area on my site, and each file is named for the game.

SS_T
x3ap

Post by SS_T » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 14:14

There have been some attempts over the years to create a centralized database for mods for the egosoft games. However very few are kept upto date or complete.
The modders on this forum seem to do what apricotslice does, even I do. I hosted the x1 mods on my own server then I uploaded them to places like moddb for publicity and as a backup.

I also created the xdownloads website which hosts 1276 mods. Its not exactly perfect, but I think it has the most upto date database of X3TC and X3AP mods as I updated it at the end of july. Its gaining popularity but still relatively unknown it gets about 3200 unique visitors a month.

However if you do plan to make one for only X:Rebirth, I think it would be a good idea.
I think as long as you get it ready before X:Rebirth's release and make modders aware of it, it could be the main hosting for modders to upload their mods. I would certainly link to it on the XDownloads website, but what we don't need is for another hosting site in which some people upload their mods and other people go elsewhere.
Last edited by SS_T on Fri, 31. Aug 12, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
New XDownloads: http://xdownloads.co.uk

Texhnolyzed
x3tc

Post by Texhnolyzed » Fri, 31. Aug 12, 17:20

I like the Nexus sites a lot so this is definitely something I would support.

Raider480
x4

Post by Raider480 » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 13:15

Sorry, but this is something I would not support at present.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 13:20

Raider480 wrote:Sorry, but this is something I would not support at present.
Could you be less vague as to why?
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 13:25

I've been using Nexus for all things TES and Fallout and love that site. I would equally love to see a dedicated X-mods Nexus. I would put my mods there, for sure :)

Staberind
x4

Post by Staberind » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 18:31

Its an intriguing Idea, although what's also important is the fact that such sites are also community driven, they are a framework wherein a community exists, The nexus is an excellent site, with a really good framework, and tools, I particularly like the combined down-loader/manager,
I'd be interested in the combining of the two modding communities, (I'm certain there is a lot of overlap), but a little concerned with boron boob mods.
Also, It's my personal opinion that the modding teams on the nexus are excellent, however, there is some intellectual dishonesty regarding constructive criticism, how its couched and how its received.
Here, otoh, I've found a lot of courtesy and a more focussed attitude wrt technical details, I'd imagine that's because of the more focussed scope of X modding as opposed to much of the E.S. wackyness.

TL,dr: great idea, technically, here's hoping it all works out.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 18:49

Staberind wrote:....but a little concerned with boron boob mods.
:lol:

Yeah, the "adult" section of Fallout and even TES to some extend do have some dubious mods. A boron boob mod on the other hand.... :D

Another thing, perhaps a Nexus site could help join the german and english community more. There's still german mods that is posted only in that forum, and even outside this site, that is hard to access for the rest of us since we pretty much don't know what to search for and don't read the language. Google translate works, some times, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. :)

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Wed, 5. Sep 12, 19:27

X2 Source... there's a site that makes me feel old, was it really that long ago!?

An X-Nexus would be fantastic exposure for Egosoft. It would be nothing but beneficial for this to happen. Can't see what Nexus would get out of this, maybe it will add extra flavour as there are a lot of Nexus fans who enjoy the space mods for other games on Nexus. Perhaps a lot of these don't know about the X-Series.

Egosoft must let this happen.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 6. Sep 12, 07:41

Lord_Dakier wrote:Egosoft must let this happen.
Its nothing really to do with Egosoft. Its up to individual modders and scripters to want to participate there.

Which I guess throws it round the other way.....what incentive is there for us to spend time away from here and over there ? Unless I'm active there, I'd never remember to keep it up to date. And I wont be active there without a reason to be.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”