[MOD] [TC/AP] X3 Rebalance Mod (XRM) - Total conversion - v1.30d (02.12.13)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 12:59

Sorkvild wrote:Lasertowers could get a slight reskin too ;)
They need a remodel.... Cadius?

navetta
x3ap

Post by navetta » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 13:06

paulwheeler wrote:
navetta wrote:i have been trying out the taipan and i find the phased array laser cannons to be really weak compared to other flak weapons. SSC for example completely smokes enemy fighters... maybe increase the damage a bit?
I will look at it again, but the PALC already does a lot more damage per second than any other flak weapon.

This issue is in how beams do their damage. They damage for the entire duration of the beam and only as long as ships stay in the beam. So beams are far more effective against larger ships than small ships as small, fast ships just dont stay in the beam long enough to incur the entire damage.

If I gave the PALC more damage it would be too good against larger ships. I have already shortened the beam duration so that it is more effective against small ships. I can maybe make it even shorter, but then it starts to become a brief flash and not very spectacular.

I'll see if I can find a happy medium...
i see, thanks for trying.

daveplx

Post by daveplx » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 15:25

Hey, just wanted to drop in and tell you I got it working now, thanks for the help! :)
I shouldn't have installed everything at once to begin with and I should've read the installation instructions on Litcube's Bounce more carefully.

Its now working and really fun, sooo much more action going on in pirate sectors its hard to set foot there (not complaining, I like it!).
Thanks a lot for this mod! :)

Best regards

- Dave

PS: Where can I find the full-size picture of the OTAS Operative start? I want to draw her but I cant find it :(
Source/Artist would be appreciated! :)

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 15:44

paulwheeler wrote: The XRM is what it is - if you want to change something then you'll have to learn to mod like the rest of us did.

Having said all that - getting rid of the trails is quite straight forward - but time consuming.

- Extract TShips from XRM Part 2 (or if you use a hull pack, extract it from the hull pack)

- Open it in the X3Editor2

- For each ship go to the "model" tab and change the particle emitter entry to "0".

- save and drop the TShips file into your "types" folder in your TC install.

The only issue with this method is you have to do it again every time I change TShips.

Otherwise you can edit the XRM particles3.txt and copy and paste the vanilla black smoke trail from a vanilla particles3 over all the ship engine trail entries in the XRM particles3 - just don't forget to set the correct ID each time.
First, a note, X3Editor2 seems to open the 'XRM1.07b_PART_2.cat'* just fine, so you Probably dont really need to extract TShips.pck to edit it,
Though i cant extract anyways it because Modmanager keeps telling me its missing the 'x3mmext.dll' file when its installed Right there with it, -_-
(*the version i downloaded to test XRM)

but a question, is Everything in TShips a ship?
like if i changed Every 'particle emitter' to 0, would it affect anything else like the lasers or some other game effect?

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:07

paulwheeler wrote: Having said all that - getting rid of the trails is quite straight forward - but time consuming.

- Extract TShips from XRM Part 2 (or if you use a hull pack, extract it from the hull pack)

- For each ship go to the "model" tab and change the particle emitter entry to "0".

ParseTFile.py:

Code: Select all

TFILE = "TShips.txt"
TFILEOUT = "TShips.txt.out"

######### PROCESSING CODE ( Do Not Modify ) #############

import time

F = open(TFILE, "r")
Lines = []

data = F.readline()
while data != "":
    Lines.append(data)
    data = F.readline()

ProcessedLines = []
for Line in Lines:
    if "//" not in Line:
        ProcessedLines.append(Line)

SizeData = 0
Data = []
for Line in ProcessedLines:
    Split = Line.split(";")
    Split.pop()
    if(len(Split) == 2):
        SizeData = Split
    else:
        Data.append(Split)

######### Modify Code ( Modify Here ) #############
for Entry in Data:
    Entry[49] = "0" # WipeTrails

######### PROCESSING CODE ( Do Not Modify ) #############
F.close()
F = open(TFILEOUT, "w")
SizeData = (SizeData[0]+';'+SizeData[1]+';\n')
F.write("//Generated by ParseTFile.py by Jack08\n")
F.write(SizeData)

for Bullet in Data:
    String = ""
    for element in Bullet:
        String += (element+";")
    String += "\n"
    F.write(String)

F.close()
raw_input("Output file ""+TFILEOUT+"" Written\nProcess Completed\nPress Enter to Exit")
######### PROCESSING CODE ( End ) #############
Hard? no, Time consuming?... Definitely Not.

Particals = Framerate Hell (Espesually if a ship goes beyond 300 m/s)
Last edited by Jack08 on Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:12

Firewrath wrote:
paulwheeler wrote: The XRM is what it is - if you want to change something then you'll have to learn to mod like the rest of us did.

Having said all that - getting rid of the trails is quite straight forward - but time consuming.

The only issue with this method is you have to do it again every time I change TShips.

Otherwise you can edit the XRM particles3.txt and copy and paste the vanilla black smoke trail from a vanilla particles3 over all the ship engine trail entries in the XRM particles3 - just don't forget to set the correct ID each time.
First, a note, X3Editor2 seems to open the 'XRM1.07b_PART_2.cat'* just fine, so you Probably dont really need to extract TShips.pck to edit it,
Though i cant extract anyways it because Modmanager keeps telling me its missing the 'x3mmext.dll' file when its installed Right there with it, -_-
(*the version i downloaded to test XRM)

but a question, is Everything in TShips a ship?
like if i changed Every 'particle emitter' to 0, would it affect anything else like the lasers or some other game effect?
Try right clicking on the Mod Manager and choose "run as administrator"...

Yes its only ships in TShips. Setting the particle emitters to 0 will only affect ships and nothing else.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:14

Jack08 wrote:
Not if the trails are setup correctly. With low enough densities they are fine past 1000 m/s.

I notice no frame hit from trails at all and my system is hardly cutting edge.

XRM trails have been totally reworked and thoroughly tested on all ships and missiles.

BTW - something most people forget... the vanilla game has particle trails on all fighters - the trails are just black.
Last edited by paulwheeler on Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:15

Another option would be to use Litcube's excellent TShip Editor (LETE) which is Excel based allowing for mass data changes in very short amounts of time.

Litcube's LETE 0.64b thread
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 16:47

paulwheeler wrote:
Jack08 wrote:
Not if the trails are setup correctly. With low enough densities they are fine past 1000 m/s.

I notice no frame hit from trails at all and my system is hardly cutting edge.

XRM trails have been totally reworked and thoroughly tested on all ships and missiles.

BTW - something most people forget... the vanilla game has particle trails on all fighters - the trails are just black.
I haven't a bad rig but rendering of Particles is very taxing on the FPS of the game. Normally about a 5-10FPS hit on a mid level card.

The settings for the particles in XRM are much better than vanilla, but they still suffer SETA stall (not your fault obviously) and as such can be an immersion breaker for some.

If you get a supertuned ship ingame the particles will fail above 400-450m/s though. speeds of 400+ with the trails failing (with a supertuned ship) the FPS drops to 28 from 98-100 stationary and 88-92 with trails on your Pirate Kestrel at Max speed with max standard tunings, as tested in the Avarice Sector.

Just mentioning as Supertunes can be had ingame without cheating I believe ;)
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:08

TrixX wrote: Just mentioning as Supertunes can be had ingame without cheating I believe ;)
Not that I recall... unless there is a plot device that gives them to you. There are no "supertuned" ships in XRM jobs anyway.

I will check if the pirate kestrel trail is failing at max speed. If it is I will fix it - its a fairly simple fix. I can fix trails so they can go past 1000m/s, they just don't look quite as good (I've done this with missiles for example as many XRM missiles travel over 1000m/s).

Every bit of graphics causes a frame rate hit. The fact is that trails are in vanilla - just a different colour. The heavy frame hit comes when the trails corrupt at high speeds - which I have taken steps to stop in XRM.

Saying that rendering particles causes a 5-10 fps hit is a nonsensical statement as it totally depends on how many objects are producing the trails in the first place and how dense and long the trails are. If you have one ship in a sector the frame hit will be negligible. With a full on, IR fuelled, several hundred ship epic battle going on, then I'm sure there is a slight hit. With XRM we have taken steps to ensure that ship numbers do not get out of hand.

The frame rate improvements in XRM over vanilla in other areas mean that overall the majority of users should see a frame rate gain in XRM when compared to vanilla, despite XRM having more sectors and ships overall (taking complicated scripts like Improved Races out of the equation so its a plain XRM vs a plain vanilla).

EDIT - I am currently flying a pirate Kestrel at 674 m/s, its max speed, and the trail is absolutely fine.

As I said, I tested every single fast ship and missile in the game for trail corruptions - they are all 100% OK.
Last edited by paulwheeler on Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:24, edited 3 times in total.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:16

joelR wrote: Im surprised you are having this issue. Is it 100% of the time?
Most of the time but not all the time. Out of the all the attack on my traders (which I figured around 2-3 dozen times) I only noticed once that their shield is getting hammered.
I dont see this in my game. I dont doubt you, its just odd that all OOS damage is hull only.
The funny part is though ... this ONLY happen to my trader. I have a few lone M6 lone patrol and I know they run into pirates more often then my traders do, but i have "never" seen them receving direct hull damage.

paulwheeler wrote:Do you have any OOS rebalance scripts installed? Its possible that there is an issue with that.
No as far as I remember, this game only have XRM and its recommended mods/script. The only extra thing I'm running is the improved boarding script.

Given the disparity above I wonder if there is a bug with OOS calculation when a ship does not have any laser ... I'll have to test that to night.

Firewrath
x3tc

Post by Firewrath » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:27

paulwheeler wrote: Try right clicking on the Mod Manager and choose "run as administrator"...

Yes its only ships in TShips. Setting the particle emitters to 0 will only affect ships and nothing else.
hrm, windows gave me some BS about a blank password when i know the account doesnt have a password (winXP), and my account is admin anyways,

Eitherway, doesnt matter, (i hope, :P)

Real quick cause i got to head off here, so for anyone that wants to know,

using the X3Editor2,
goto the 'Plugins' menu, then hit 'cat manager'
next hit the 'open' button at the top, pick he cat you want to open,
go into the 'Types' folder then click once on the 'TShips.pck'
then at the top click 'extract files'
pick where you want to extract it and if you want it decompressed,

Now, question,
if i have TShips.txt in my Types folder in my X3TC install, will that work or does it need to be the 'pck' file type?
cause if thatll work i'll find a text editor and do a search and replace string,

sorry if this seems rushed, but like i said, have to head off, =/

Also, Note:
paulwheeler wrote: BTW - something most people forget... the vanilla game has particle trails on all fighters - the trails are just black.
Yeah, and ive said if i could remove them in the vanilla game i would, :P
and now it seems i can, Yay! ^-^

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:27

Mightysword wrote:
joelR wrote: Im surprised you are having this issue. Is it 100% of the time?
Most of the time but not all the time. Out of the all the attack on my traders (which I figured around 2-3 dozen times) I only noticed once that their shield is getting hammered.
I dont see this in my game. I dont doubt you, its just odd that all OOS damage is hull only.
The funny part is though ... this ONLY happen to my trader. I have a few lone M6 lone patrol and I know they run into pirates more often then my traders do, but i have "never" seen them receving direct hull damage.

paulwheeler wrote:Do you have any OOS rebalance scripts installed? Its possible that there is an issue with that.
No as far as I remember, this game only have XRM and its recommended mods/script. The only extra thing I'm running is the improved boarding script.

Given the disparity above I wonder if there is a bug with OOS calculation when a ship does not have any laser ... I'll have to test that to night.
Silly question - you have maxed out the shielding of the freighters haven't you? Have you tried superfreighters? They can mount 200mj shields like an M6.

It may be some kind of OOS quirk. As I said, try turning off the beta code I enabled in the last XRM release. Its possible there is a glitch.

paulwheeler
x3tc

Post by paulwheeler » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:31

Firewrath wrote:
hrm, windows gave me some BS about a blank password when i know the account doesnt have a password (winXP), and my account is admin anyways,
My statement only applies to Vista and Win 7, as even when logged in as Administrator, UAC stops programs running with full admin rights, unless you hit run as administrator. On XP it should be fine.

BTW - you really shouldn't run an administrator account with a blank password... thats just asking for trouble.

Firewrath wrote: Eitherway, doesnt matter, (i hope, :P)

Real quick cause i got to head off here, so for anyone that wants to know,

using the X3Editor2,
goto the 'Plugins' menu, then hit 'cat manager'
next hit the 'open' button at the top, pick he cat you want to open,
go into the 'Types' folder then click once on the 'TShips.pck'
then at the top click 'extract files'
pick where you want to extract it and if you want it decompressed,

Now, question,
if i have TShips.txt in my Types folder in my X3TC install, will that work or does it need to be the 'pck' file type?
cause if thatll work i'll find a text editor and do a search and replace string,
Yes - just stick it in your types folder and it will override anything else. Just dont forget to update it when I release XRM updates.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 17:36

then I'm sure there is a slight hit

Comming from a creator of IR i can tell you now, its far more then slight.
After wiping trails from my XRM game in the middle of an XTL: Chaos(Improved Racees 2.0) test run, i gained over 20 FPS in sector, running at 3.8ghz with a GTX 275 at (if i remember correctly) only 20-30% GPU Load

Particles are performency hungry by nature, hundreds of little floting textures that are tracked and moved every frame with trig functions, addative drawing and shaders/bloom effects. You can keep denying there performence impact all you want it wont change there nature. X3 being a cpu limited single threaded game doesnt help at all.

Ive posted a python script in the thread for anyone that wants to remove them quickly and easily.
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”