[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Shuulo
x4

[MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:11

Variety and Rebalance Overhaul

TL;DR
This mod updates every single ship, weapon and shield to bring variety to the game and make the combat less arcady. All weapons now have different behaviors and sounds, most L weapons have new GFX. Ships are more survivable, larger ships are much less maneuverable. Shields do not have regen delay, now very hard to kill L ship on your own.

LINK TO NEXUS
STEAM WORKSHOP
Some videos in this channel

For not so lazy people:

Why?
I liked the game at first, after some time tough was bored by how plain combat and ships were, every weapon looked and worked alike, every ship had only slight difference. But then I found a mod Shield and Weapon Overhaul that made game much more enjoyable, I was intrigued how many can be changed by simple xml edit. So, after Shield and Weapon Overhaul mod was abandoned I decided to make my own but with more whistles and blowers, hope you will like it.

Movement

THERE IS NO BOOST, this is a big boon to AI and makes combat more engaging. Fighters and some M ships are faster to compensate, also, travel speed was boosted (use it where you used boost before). Ships, especially larger ones) are less maneuverable, do not except F1 speeds from heavy fighters and scout high maneuverability from frigates. All L and XL ships now behave if they are really big ships.

Ships
Every faction is a bit different in regards what they prefer:
Argons love their behemoths and heavy fighters.
Paranids focus on small ships that have much better shields that other races, while their Odysseys and Nemesis are gust glass cannons.
Telady have quite beafy L and XL ships, but theirs Ospreys and Peregrins are force to reckon with. Also, most ships with docks can carry much more drones that are cheaper than using fighters. Profitsss.
All docking was redone to make sense with difference in ships variants as well. L ships now have 60km radar, XL – 80km.

Durability/Shields
All HP of ships is boosted and rebalanced from ground up, as well as shields now have 0 delay in recharge that makes it harder to kill big ships with smaller ones (due to “Shield Armor”, see below). Combat now takes more time.

Weapons/”Shield Armor”
THERE ARE NO MORE MKs. Every weapon is usable and different.
I tried to give every weapon its own role and distinctive behavior with noticeable difference between S, M and L guns. Also, weapons are now separated a bit as those that are good against large ships and those that are not, this is done with an “Shield Armor” concept – heavy weapons are more inaccurate with low ROF but have additional shield damage to negate high passive regen of capital ships, Plasma cannons, Ion guns, Autocannons will help you to combat large beasts. All ranges are boosted, Capital ships combat is around 15-20 km, while some heavy fighter weapons reach 9km.
Note that there is a vanilla bug that calculates damage of any weapon that has ammo clips (most of them) wrongly, so do not trust encyclopedia.

Please provide your feedback as balance may still be a bit wacky, as I was not able the test everything on my own. Especially large weapon dps.

Compatibility:
For game Version 2.5
This mod WILL OVERWRITE any other changes to ships, weapons or shield parameters from any mod if loaded after them (in alphabetic order) so if you want to run it alongside FOCW you are free to do so.
Not sure if compatible with old saves due to changes in carry capacities of the ships. You can try :)

Recommended mods:
Faction War/Economy Enhancer for obvious reasons
NoSuperHighways – not mandatory but highways neglect any speed difference between S and M ships, while also decreasing boons to travels speeds in the mod.
FireFx mod

Plans for future:
- Change names of the weapons as they should be - done
- Update loadouts a bit as there are now no strcikly better or worse weapons, need to see more variety in usage. - done

- Give each ship unique internal shield generator in addition to normal ones to even more diversify them.
- Update weapon graphics, impacts and projectiles mostly.
- Introduce more weapons to the game.

Thanks to:
Egosoft
mewosmith for helping and supporting me
AngEviL for creating Shield and Weapon Overhaul mod that inspired me
Chirumiru ShiRoz for letting me use some of his Stellaris mod sounds; check it out if you play stellaris.
Ego modding discord channel for providing great insight into how things work
PaPaYa for French translation!
Last edited by Shuulo on Wed, 24. Jul 19, 19:04, edited 10 times in total.

Shuulo
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:38

Patch notes

Version 1.9

New:
- Addition of Xenon missile destroyer V with accompanying long-range cruise missile and anti-fighter missile
- Xenon P now has additional missile launcher

Balance:
- Ion weapons have even more anti-shield damage, but lower anti-hull
- Shotgun-type weapons have damage fall-off and are more powerful on close range
- S and M pulse and beam weapons damage increased
- some tweaks to paranid fighters so they are a bit more maneuvarable. small tweaks to other fighters
- Xenon N and M are now very different light and heavy fighters.
- due to 2.6 improvement to faction economies Xenon destroyers have a bit more hull, Xenon K now wields a pair of Xenon Maulers instead of Obliterators
- small tweaks here and there

Note: M turrets are still not destructible as provided fix in 2.6 was not as good as I hoped, ill continue tests and will try to find a solution.

Previous versions:
Spoiler
Show
Version 1.8

Balance pass:
- Fighters were rebalanced: more distinction between light and heavies fighters, HP levels have gotten lower in general, some lighter fighters became faster (e.g. Falcon), some heavy fighters became slower (e.g. Buzzard), some lighter ships now have better handling.
- N is now fast interceptor with low HP, M is now a much slower heavy fighter with double the shields.

Version 1.7
NEW:
- new Xenon long-range large turret mounted only on I and stations.
Changed:
- Heavy Lance is now a real beam, while its AI usage can sometimes be weird it should be fine in general, and this also resolves the issue with self-hitting with it.
Balance pass:
- very minor tweak to DPS of some weapons
- Oddy nerfed once more, HP and shield power
- small update to loadout rules, now even more varied.

Version 1.62
- updated previously untouched Khaak weapons in line with other modded weapons
- some bugfixes
Balance pass:
- all missiles reload time increased 2x times, to compensate damage increased as well
- Xenon K will now have 4 additional M turrets on its top (only for newly built Ks)
- Slightly increased HP of K
- Slightly increased HP of I
- Slightly increased damage output of Xenon Obliterator Beam
- Decreased HP of Odysseys

Version 1.61
-bugfixes

Version 1.6
NEW: FLAK L turret, low-damage, high-high preciesion turret (may change if ill find a way to detonate projectile near tartget
NEW: Cruise missile L turret - slow powerful missile for anti-cap job, useful on defence platforms, and AI actually uses them for that as well
Major changes:
- Battleships were ranamed to not conflict with ressuply ships
- balance pass, every single weapon was updated, most smaller weapons did get a sloight buff, some M weapons as well
- L turrets thresholds/prices updated to make the usage of them by AI more varied
Minor:
- all weapon descriptions were updated to include real weapons parameters, like Shields DPS, Hull DPS and ALPHA(1-shot power). Remember, weapon usefulness comes not only from DPS, but behaviour is very important as well, adn damage characteristic may be a bit misleading.
- updated even more graphics and sounds of some weapons.
- fixed some bugs here and there.
Translation:
-Added French transaltion thanks to PaPaYa!!!

1.5:
- Corrected bug that prevented application of balance changes to all Xenon ships, you will learn to fear them
- Re-balanced L turrets a bit, range of Xenon beam is now 17km but bugged damage a bit. Annihilator is now also 17km with decrease in accuracy and tiny bit in damage. This was done to prevent easy kiting by Xenon destroyers of defence platforms.
- Minor tweaks to ship balance (teladi fighters more durable etc)
- small re-balance of shield recharge rates, it will be more noticeable, especially on M ships.
- tweaks and corrections to text files
- updates to some impact graphics and sounds

1.4:
New: all weapons now have very brief in-flaff description.
New: Faction Battleships mod now integrated, you will be able to buy new battleships, Ai will use them as well to patrol sectors.

- made a small balance pass on all weapons, shotguns have more damage, ion weapons have more shield damage, Xenon beam weapon has slight increase in damage output
- updated some impact graphic effects of small weapons and their sounds
- buffed M shields a bit
- some polishing and bug fixing

- slight rebalance of travel engines as they were superior in every aspect over all-round
- slight rebalance of M freighters, scouts and Paranid Destroyer speeds
- rebalance of L turret weapons - damage reduced a bit to make fights between L ships a bit longer, Heavy lance is not the ultimate killer now
- updated few effects for weapons
- Xenon L beam is now true beam, as xenons tend to stay on target more than other factions the "beam problem" is not that severe with them

-fix: Heavy Lance lifetime reduced by half to exclude situations were beam hits firing ship if ship itself moves fast.

1.2 (all changes are save compatible/FOCW compatible)
- All weapon names were updated
- changes to prices of destroyers and carriers - they cost more as they are more beefy and harder to take down by a fleet of smaller ships.
- slightly improved Destroyers handling, as this was a bit overdone, especially for Teladies
- light increase in dps of Blaster, chain gun, CIWS and Scatter turret. Slight decrease in dps of Reaper Cannon. Increase slightly HP of Xenon P
- slightly changed loadout rules to force some weapons to appear more on top NPC fleets, as in vanilla they used only beams as this was top of the line gun.
- updated graphics of Blaster and Burst cannon to red.

- rebalanced engine HP
- a bit decrease in M and L turrets damage as they were OP
- all M turrests are now integrated and cannot be destroyed, this is to counter vanilla bug that leads to destruction of all turrets in OOS making capital ships useless and die to fighters easily in OOS. Engines, Shields and L weapons can still be destroyed.
- changed some impact effects of plasma and pulse guns

1.0.2 - removed debug script to spawn fleets on new game start
1.0.1 - fixes to ship dock capacities of L and XL ships
Last edited by Shuulo on Mon, 14. Oct 19, 18:06, edited 18 times in total.

rosssack
x4

Post by rosssack » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 03:13

so this wont work with focw mod

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 03:16

rosssack wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 03:13
so this wont work with focw mod
It will most likely simply overwrite all his changes. As mods are loaded in alphabetic order

Angsaar
x4

Post by Angsaar » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 03:18

Damn, looks so good that I'm salivating :P

Sent you a PM on the FX matter!

idofwsl
x4

Post by idofwsl » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 07:59

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:11
Movement
THERE IS NO BOOST, this is a big boon to AI and makes combat more engaging. Fighters and some M ships are faster to compensate, also, travel speed was boosted (use it where you used boost before).
Does it mean I press "TAB",ship will switch to travel mod ?

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 10:00

idofwsl wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 07:59
Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:11
Movement
THERE IS NO BOOST, this is a big boon to AI and makes combat more engaging. Fighters and some M ships are faster to compensate, also, travel speed was boosted (use it where you used boost before).
Does it mean I press "TAB",ship will switch to travel mod ?
No, just use your regular key bindings. Though this frees tab for any other modder to use :)

idofwsl
x4

Post by idofwsl » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 12:28

The mod didn't work until I rename the folder name from "VRO 1.01" TO "VRO"

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 13:13

idofwsl wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 12:28
The mod didn't work until I rename the folder name from "VRO 1.01" TO "VRO"
Yeah, sorry, will name it correctly after packing future versions.

Buzz2005
x4

Re: [MOD] Variety and Rebalance Overhaul (VRO)

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:43

OMG :lol:

I use a ship mod, adds big ass flagships
So as I was watching HOP and PAR fighting, PAR flagship gets in the sector and since values are not changed for him (should be super slow) it annihilated any thing and everything, it was glorious

with added range its OP, now to get 2 flagships to fight
Fireworks!!!

anyway thank you for the mod, hard to get use to no boost
are you dead set on no boost?
and maybe do a compatibility with this mod?
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=409546

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:59

Buzz2005 wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 18:43
OMG :lol:

I use a ship mod, adds big ass flagships
So as I was watching HOP and PAR fighting, PAR flagship gets in the sector and since values are not changed for him (should be super slow) it annihilated any thing and everything, it was glorious

with added range its OP, now to get 2 flagships to fight
Fireworks!!!

anyway thank you for the mod, hard to get use to no boost
are you dead set on no boost?
and maybe do a compatibility with this mod?
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=409546
I'm happy that you are having fun :)
I'm thinking about few patches for different mods, but they will not come tomorrow. Also, ashipmod is cool, but ships there are a bit OP, that drives me off from using it. I prefer Faction Battleship mod :)

unrelated: few more videos added to youtube channel

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 20:32

I'm really excited to try this mod! I've noticed a few rebalance mods in the game's lifetime, but no boost, no MK-system and new weapon effects ticks all the boxes for me. :)

captainradish
x4

Post by captainradish » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:31

I use this with ashipmod balanced AI and have the highly unusual problem where an entire Taranis MK2 battlefleet AND a Xenon capital ship fleet spawns in my starting sector. This would be simply strange, but the Taranis fleet is owned by my PC. Also to add to the weirdness the Xenon fleet is using a Arawn from ahipmod. This is the only mod I have installed between yesterday (which was fine) and today, so I can only conclude this mod is doing something highly odd. Can you look into this? This mod looks great and I would really like to try it out.
Last edited by captainradish on Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:49

captainradish wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:31
I use this with ashipmod balanced AI and have the highly unusual problem where an entire Taranis MK2 battlefleet AND a Xenon capital ship fleet spawns in my starting sector. This would be simply strange, but the Taranis fleet is owned by my PC. This is the only mod I have installed between yesterday (which was fine) and today, so I can only conclude this mod is doing something highly odd. Can you look into this? This mod looks great and I would really like to try it out.
LOL, sorry, I did not remove debug script to test combat

Updated version 1.0.2

captainradish
x4

Post by captainradish » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:55

Shuulo wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:49
captainradish wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 22:31
I use this with ashipmod balanced AI and have the highly unusual problem where an entire Taranis MK2 battlefleet AND a Xenon capital ship fleet spawns in my starting sector. This would be simply strange, but the Taranis fleet is owned by my PC. This is the only mod I have installed between yesterday (which was fine) and today, so I can only conclude this mod is doing something highly odd. Can you look into this? This mod looks great and I would really like to try it out.
LOL, sorry, I did not remove debug script to test combat

Updated version 1.0.2
Ah, groovy. I was driving myself insane trying to figure out why the hell I was suddenly the proud owner of a potentially galaxy-destroying battle fleet.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”