Periodic mouse freezes in Linux - Resolved, interference by htop.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cadbury
x4

Periodic mouse freezes in Linux - Resolved, interference by htop.

Post by Cadbury » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 23:09

System info
Manjaro Linux running KDE Plasma - kernel 5.3.11
Intel 4690
Nvidia RTX 2070 - driver 440.31

Issue
Around every second, my mouse input stops for around half a second and then continues. Running a tail -f on Xorg.log gives the following output when the mouse has frozen

Code: Select all

[  2085.731] (II) event5  - Logitech Gaming Mouse G400: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
[  2085.731] (II) event5  - Logitech Gaming Mouse G400: WARNING: log rate limit exceeded (5 msgs per 30000ms). Discarding future messages.
I've reduced the poll rate to 125Hz and the error still persists. I have, however, found that it appears to be tied to the in-game FPS.

If I enable Vsync and the game is running at 60fps, I get no freezing.
If I disable Vsync and the FPS is higher than 60, the freezing returns.
If I disable Vsync but enable the compsitor (Kwin), although the ingame FPS reports 64 instead of 60, there is still some freezing but very minor.
If I enable Vsync and the game cannot run at 60fps and instead chooses something like 48fps, I get mouse freezing.

I had the site https://www.vsynctester.com/ on my other monitor while the game was open and in focus. You can clearly see the periodic spikes in frame times (or at least whatever the browser is reading) yet the FPS within the game remained smooth (I could clearly see this by watching the scrolling text in the background scene at the main menu).
https://i.imgur.com/TZwiQ2I.png

It seems almost as if the reading of mouse input events is tied to the FPS?

I've played numerous games without issue on Linux. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and what the fix, if any, might be?

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

Cadbury
x4

Re: Periodic mouse freezes in Linux

Post by Cadbury » Mon, 18. Nov 19, 00:13

I appear to have at least found the cause, even if I do not know why. I had htop running in a second terminal window while the game was open and the freezing of the game was in-sync with when htop would update itself. I closed htop and now I can move the mouse around within the game at any fps smoothly.

The issue does not appear to be of Egosoft's creation!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”