Edit 1: Formatted Text. Eliminated useless text. Removed unnecessary humor. Implemented input from response. Scratch that, made humor better.
Edit 2: Added Ship Point system. Removed unnecessary text.
My Idea: Automatic Fleet Replenishment.
What I would like to see in X:Foundations is a simpler, but flexible, way to keep fleets at full strength without player micromanaging. This post will include the idea for both Fleets (either large battlegroups, trader convoys, and defense fleets) and Carriers (fighters/drones). I'll be as specific as possible, and I would greatly appreciate feedback from both players and devs.
Part 1- Once the player forms a fleet, its composition is automatically saved to Memory. Any loss of ships is recorded, and a Replace Order is made available.
Part 2 The player then chooses his replacement options
On Ship Loss
- Do not replace ships -|- Always Replace Ships -|- Player Must Approve (Ask) -|- Do not ask, player will replace
- Player Selects a % of fleet strength remaining (see Ship Points below)
- Use Specific Shipyard(s) -|- Use Specific Faction -|- Use Only Player Facilities -|- Use any Available Shipyard
- Continue with current order -|- Wait at present location -|- Meet Replacement at shipyard/as soon as possible
In many ways exactly the same as for Fleets, but the recovery system will be slightly different. Well, really different.
- Fighter/Drone compositions are saved to memory.
- Player determines If/Where/How fighters and drones are resupplied. Same rules as the first 3 lists in Part 2 of Fleets.
The Hauler Dispatched Haulers are not player property, but the player is responsible for them as well as their cargo (which is your property), much in the way you would rent a car. If a Hauler is destroyed:
- The player is not given any refund for loss of goods ordered.
The player is fined a fee, which goes to the station so it can replace its hauler.
If the player cannot make payment on the fee, a faction standing loss is incurred.
Also, the player will gain an outstanding debt to the station, and will be placed on a do-not-sell list, prohibiting future transactions until the debt is paid. Teladi may add an inconvenience fee. At their convenience.
- Carrier waits at current location -|- Carrier continues with current order -|- Carrier moves to meet Hauler
- If the carrier is the fleet commander, all ships will accompany carrier as normal.
If carrier is not the fleet commander, it will use Fleet Commander resupply orders. If resupply is needed, command temporarily transfers to the carrier and the fleet moves accordingly. After resupply, command reverts to original ship and previous orders resume.
At some point, maybe after additional input is added, I would like to include plans to make Automatic Resupply a result of Research.
Also, to the "This is X4 not a 4X" folks, I appreciate the input, and I understand, however this is strictly asking for a feature that would help management-challenged people like myself. Plus, I have yet to see this feature in any 4X game. So there's that.
Ship Points Determining when a fleet with attempt a resupply based on % of Points remaining. Ships within each class are given a "point" value.
- Interceptors/Scouts: 1 Point -|- Fighters: 5 Points -|- Heavy Fighters/Bombers: 10 Points -|- Corvettes: 15 Points -|- Frigates: 25 Points -|- Carriers: 50 Points -|- Battleships: 100 Points
Fleet Point System in Use
Fleet Consists of (2) Corvettes, (1) Frigate and (1) Battleship. Fleet Point total is 155. Player sets automatic resupply to 80%, or <124 Points.
- Scenario A: (1) Frigate is destroyed. Fleet points drop to 130. Fleet operations continue as normal.
Scenario B: (1) Corvette and (1) Frigate is destroyed. Fleet points drop to 115. If enabled, automatic fleet resupply commands are initiated and the fleet behaves accordingly.
Edit 1 Notes: Thank you to Crimsonraziel for input on the commands (as well as unintentionally reminding me to format) of resupply. I did, however, change the Prioritize to be an automatic function, as well as reduced player messaging to as-required-by-emergency only. I personally detested the dozens of messages I got in a short time period in X3 and XR.
Edit 2 Notes: The point values I tagged to each "class" (as we know it) of ships is 100% fluid, and not something I'm demanding be used in game. Of course, there's non-combat ships that would need to make use of the system as well.
I am going to retain a Changelog if i start making multiple changes to the OP, for my personal future reference or anyone's curiosity. I would like this to be as-much-as-possible a feature wanted by as many as possible.