[TOOL] Empty Universe Generator 0.91

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Joubarbe
xr

[TOOL] Empty Universe Generator 0.91

Post by Joubarbe » Sat, 19. Dec 15, 18:24

Don't get your hopes up ! This is not a full universe generator ; this one will be empty. What will you do with this tool ? I don't know !

[ external image ]

Version 0.91
29/12/2015

[ external image ]
Mirror (dropbox)

How does this work ?

The Empty Universe Generator (EUG, because we all love new acronyms) is very simple to use and it creates all the files you need to play in a vast empty universe !

Once you've generated your universe, you just have to copy both "addon" and "objects" folder to your X3 main directory. Please take a look at what files you are overwriting.
If you have custom game starts or a custom map, it will be overwritten when you copy the files. Also, an empty Jobs.txt is included, because it won't work with normal jobs file, obviously.
If you need to go back to vanilla X3 (or vanilla LU), just delete the files you just copied ; they do not overwrite any vanilla files.

custom_suns.txt is used to add suns to sectors. It consists of two values : the id of the sun and the color it projects. I voluntarily selected small suns, but you can add others
if you want with the X3 Editor tool (TSuns.pck).

musiclist.txt includes all the sector-music names used by X3 Litcube's Universe. It should work with Vanilla as well. If you want a custom music to be used by the EUG, just put its title
in this file and copy your mp3 into X3\soundtrack.

custom_names.txt are a list of names that will be used randomly to name sectors. Some sectors are nameless, and they will appear as "Sector X-Y". To avoid having the same
name for two sectors, be sure to have at least the same number of names as you have sectors (eg : if you have 150 sectors in your universe, you need at least 150 names).
If you don't want custom names and descriptions, just don't copy addon\t\7623.L044.xml or edit it.
I've uploaded a UTF-8 compatible list of real planet names here.

Different shapes

Chaotic : compact universe with a random pattern.
[ external image ]

Clusters : the central sector leads to four clusters of random sizes.
[ external image ]

Cross : X shape.
[ external image ]

Lines : lines of four to ten sectors each.
[ external image ]

Snake : a single and sinuous path that goes from the central sector.
[ external image ]

Asteroids belts

The universes obtained with this generator can all have asteroids in their sectors. But I made them in a way that they are coherent with the idea of building stations in space :
  • They will actually be (partial) real belts. No random positioning, we suppose that they are attracted to a gravitational out-of-sector object.
  • They will never be in the middle of the sector. Who would build a station in the middle of asteroids, where traders and military ships should go as fast as possible ?
  • They will vary in size, density, shape, spacing and wideness. Currently, those options are hardcoded and cannot be customized.
  • By default, all sectors have an asteroids belt, but you can change that.
[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]

Custom templates

Through the "templates.xml" file, you can customize some sectors, if you know something about universe editing (if you don't, take a look at this, nothing complicated).

All templates with the name "example_template" will be ignored. The name you give to a template is for yourself, you can give the same name to all your templates, it doesn't matter.

The x/y values must always be RANDOM_X/RANDOM_Y. You cannot have static locations with the EUG.

When you create a custom template, do not bother adding gates. The EUG will auto connect your templates to other sectors.

If you want the same template to appear twice in the universe, just copy/paste it as an other entry.

The EUG will use your templates in priority, then will generate random sectors.

-------------------------------------------

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
Last edited by Joubarbe on Tue, 29. Dec 15, 16:37, edited 8 times in total.

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 08:53

Changelog

29/12/2015 - 0.91
  • Asteroids ! Please read the appropriate section above.
  • Sector custom names ! Same, read above for more info.
  • Fixed some gateless sectors in the Clusters shape.
  • Added "1 race = 1 sector" option. All other sectors will be set to Unknown if you check this option.
  • No more transorbital option. That lead to crash.
  • A cool and useless progress bar! (...)
19/12/2015 - 0.90
  • First release.
Last edited by Joubarbe on Tue, 29. Dec 15, 15:28, edited 4 times in total.

caishow2
x3ap

Post by caishow2 » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 15:10

Please add more download address

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 15:33

caishow2 wrote:Please add more download address
Done.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: [TOOL] Empty Universe Generator 0.90

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 22:15

Joubarbe wrote:Don't get your hopes up ! This is not a full universe generator ; this one will be empty. What will you do with this tool ? I don't know !
Well, if may ask: What will you do with it?

Also posting something like "Don't get your hopes up!" is like saying "Just try not to think of pink elephants for 10 seconds!". It won't work. :P

In any way, I added your topic to the Tool overview of the Tutorials and Resources sticky.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Mon, 21. Dec 15, 22:26

Well, as you can guess, this tool is not only for you to do nothing with, I have plans ! :)

Let's say that I need a universe/gamestart generator to go further. This tool will serve as a base. I'm still working on an update however, because I want custom sector names and various things. I'm currently working on asteroids, which is probably the hardest part.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Thu, 24. Dec 15, 12:40

Hey Jourbabe,

Quick question: Do you know the max extension y and x that the map can go in vanilla? I'm working on something similar and somehow seem to have forgotten about / not found any of the simple ways to get to know that information.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 24. Dec 15, 12:45

Do you mean the maximum sector coordinates within the universe map? If so, it's (23/19), as returned by the MSCI commands <RetVar> = get max sectors in x direction and <RetVar> = get max sectors in y direction.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Thu, 24. Dec 15, 19:31

It's actually 25*20. Yep, when you fill the universe at 100%, you obtain a grid of x:0,24 and y:0,19.

solarahawk
x4

Post by solarahawk » Fri, 25. Dec 15, 22:28

Very nice. I can see where you are headed with this and I like it. 8)

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Tue, 29. Dec 15, 15:25

0.91 ! With sooooo much fun inside !

I'd like to thank my sponsor, which is Mr Bézier, full of awesomeness.

Ferdilanz
xr

Post by Ferdilanz » Mon, 4. Jan 16, 01:56

This is very nice. I'm going to get right on making a new universe to explore!
Ferdinand Lanz
Ferdilanz Corp
Avarice Sector

Wanabe
x4

Post by Wanabe » Mon, 4. Jan 16, 02:17

I am very impressed, nicely done.

DarrenTomlyn
x3ap

Post by DarrenTomlyn » Fri, 8. Jan 16, 13:09

Hi there - just having a quick look at this, (not that I need it), to see what it does and how. The only change I'd make at first glance for me (not necessarily anyone else), is to make it a custom map, for a custom game, (using a galaxy script for startup instead).
Darren Tomlyn

Tune-writer and fiddle-player,

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrenTomlyn/3291/

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”