Nvidia Optimus on notebook - game only detects integrated gpu

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

FacePoppies
x4

Nvidia Optimus on notebook - game only detects integrated gpu

Post by FacePoppies » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 07:50

So I have a "gaming laptop" that uses NVIDIA Optimus tech, which basically assigns the integrated haswell graphics to certain programs to save power, and uses my GTX 765m for games.

X Rebirth is not detecting the GTX card. When I go into settings, it only recognizes the integrated graphics. I've even assigned the GTX to X Rebirth in the nvidia control panel, but in game it still only lists the integrated on as an option.

stealthed

Post by stealthed » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 09:03

I have the same issue but once you enter the game itself the gpu calculations do switch over to the Nvidea card like they should. Apperantly the options menu doesn't show it but the activity monitor on my laptop clearly shows the game using the external gpu.

hst
x4

Post by hst » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 16:23

Confirmed on my laptop as well. The power LED on my laptop switches from white to orange when the Nvidia card is being used. When Alt-Tabbing out of the game the Nvidia activity monitor shows that the game is using the Nvidia card.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 16:25

It's not the game failing to detect the card, it's the nVidia Optimus software not making it visible to the game. We're working on a solution to this, though.

FacePoppies
x4

Post by FacePoppies » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 23:30

Thank you!

hst
x4

Post by hst » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 23:48

CBJ, Skyrim and some other games manage to correctly pick up the Nvidia card, so I guess there must be a solution.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”