Behold, X3 yet lives!

General discussion about X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Moderators for the X3:FL Forums

nielsw
x4

Behold, X3 yet lives!

Post by nielsw » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 16:52

X4 basically cut off my upgrade path.

It wasn't anywhere near the way I like to play a space game.

All the added complexity of flying from here to there.
Giant, mostly empty station to waste my time walking long distances in station environments, that lacked anything of interest and characters looked like 3D assets from the 90's.

I get that Egosoft isn't Ubisoft with hundreds of people creating assets. But Egosoft didn't seem to make X4 according to their resources anymore.
Everything from XbtF to the last X3 played to the particular strengths of Egosoft's small team.
Especially XbtF and Xtension, with the whimsical races and great story elements.

In X4, tech was overwhelming everything else. And space flight required the use of 'highways' in space to get anywhere fast. I bought it and played it for a few hours.
Even following along the quest line was difficult - figuring out where to continue turned out to be a futile exercise. I probably could have looked it up on some website. But I wanted to play, not read websites about playing.

And whatever happened to X3's fabulous and super-quick menu?

Egosoft basically pulled the same maneuver that killed Netscape, when they rewrote their browser from scratch without pressing need, and lost its browser monopoly in the process.

I suspect that X4 nearly killed Egosoft too. But they pulled through, which is good, since there is no other company like this :)

I'll be on board for this one.

Much thanks to the crew who did this!!

Klord
x3ap

Re: Behold, X3 yet lives!

Post by Klord » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:10

I share the same sentiment brother. What we want is a space sim, not a walking simulator.

I’m so exited to this new expansion. And hopefully, more vets will return, so we can have a party. :)
(Wishful thinking perhaps :roll: )
X fanatic. More of an X3 fanatic.
What about X4? Nah, I prefer a space simulator rather than a walking simulator.

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:45

Same. I'm beyond excited for this. :)
My X3 mods: Ship Autoclaimer - Ship Services - Friendlier War Sectors - in development: Logistics Centre

XD733

Post by XD733 » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:57

Agreed! A great excuse to revisit X3!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 20:07

nielsw wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 16:52
Egosoft basically pulled the same maneuver that killed Netscape, when they rewrote their browser from scratch without pressing need, and lost its browser monopoly in the process.

I suspect that X4 nearly killed Egosoft too. But they pulled through, which is good, since there is no other company like this :)
Might be you being not interested in X4 somehow colors your conclusion - but Bernd (CEO) stated several times that the company is doing well - no small thanks to the good sales of the DLC Split Vendetta - which implies that a good amount of people both likes the base game and wants to see more of it.

I get it that some X³ veterans don't like the new game. But being a X vet myself I very much appreciate the new direction and like X4 better then X³. I hope they continue to go further into the direction of X² (storywise it was better then X³) which they already stated since 3.0 and the two DLCs.

---

But I also will check out the story made by the community team (although it is very hard to play the old game in 4k UHD). It's a nice approach to have a dedicated community team working on older stuff while the core team pushes forward the new tech :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 21:56

Hi folks :)

Absolutely surprised when the announcement of this dropped into my mailbox!
I checked my Steam account and I've got Albion Prelude, so hopefully I'll be able to download X3 Farnham's Legacy for free when it's released....yay! :D
Looking forward to see (and play) an 'X' game again. Roll on May 4th !
Klord wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 19:10
I share the same sentiment brother. What we want is a space sim, not a walking simulator.

I’m so exited to this new expansion. And hopefully, more vets will return, so we can have a party. :)
(Wishful thinking perhaps :roll: )
Well, you never know, you might be getting that party! :wink:

Oldman :)

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 09:45

I am ecstatic about this news of the return of X3.

So much so I am right now cruising in my spitfire, in Trinity Sanctum.
The Map occupying a small segment of the screen, so I can see the sector .
The only thing I need to do is re set the screen mode as all the text is so small on my modern huge monitor.
The awesome music is way way better than X4’s junk short bursts.
The stars are crystal clear, not blurred like X4 rubbish fuzzy back drops.
Planets look so real in X3, and have character.

Who cares about walking around and around, for no good reason.
I want to fly, in space. And X3 is so lovely to fly through.

Did I tell you I am excited.

:D :D :D :D

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 20:05

Party ! did someone mention a party? :lol:

Pleasantly surprised , looking forward to this.

theknapps
xr

Post by theknapps » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 18:21

More X3 ... :) :) :xbtf: :xt: :x2: :x3:
AND a party?!!

Just ... how many people can meet together now?

Who cares - there's going to be more X3 universe to explore.

Now the wait ......

terodil
x4

Post by terodil » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:16

I don't really see any complaining -- just surprise and elation that X3 is getting some love. <3
My X3 mods: Ship Autoclaimer - Ship Services - Friendlier War Sectors - in development: Logistics Centre

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:26

That's because I've split into a separate thread. :)

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 00:10

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 22:26
That's because I've split into a separate thread. :)
Excellent, thank you, we love Egosoft. :D :x2: :x3: :x4:

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 16:49

I wasn't complaining, just pointing something out. I'm far more excited for this than anything X4 related. But sure, if it "sounds" negative...

nielsw
x4

Post by nielsw » Tue, 13. Jun 23, 18:57

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 20:07
nielsw wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 16:52

Might be you being not interested in X4 somehow colors your conclusion - but Bernd (CEO) stated several times that the company is doing well - no small thanks to the good sales of the DLC Split Vendetta - which implies that a good amount of people both likes the base game and wants to see more of it.

I get it that some X³ veterans don't like the new game. But being a X vet myself I very much appreciate the new direction and like X4 better then X³. I hope they continue to go further into the direction of X² (storywise it was better then X³) which they already stated since 3.0 and the two DLCs.

---

But I also will check out the story made by the community team (although it is very hard to play the old game in 4k UHD). It's a nice approach to have a dedicated community team working on older stuff while the core team pushes forward the new tech :)
Personally, I have had two issues with X4:

Giant empty space stations that took way too much time to deal with
Character models that weren't worth rendering.

I thought communicating from ship to ship over radio made a lot more sense, given the strengths of the team vs lack of time and/or lack of expertise to model and animate human characters properly. Also,, whimsical characters beats attempts at realism. Blizzard's StarCraft was an example that worked also.

Now, what I described above was only a niggle compared to being forced to using highways in space, rather than relying on my own navigation which was one of my favorite things in X3.

Last point weighed heaviest for me - it had become rather complicated...

Some would argue, that Xtension wasn't exactly simple, but I loved the earlier complexity vs the later version.

But both our posts are quite a long time past now, and I saw Egosoft's recent modeling prowess, in regards to really fancy ship design.

So I'm in no way saying I gave up on Egosoft - it was just a pause forced by what took in my mind too much time while not being fun enough.

I realize that this work takes a long time and Egosoft surely has a worthwhile goal to the path they are working on.

I bought it, so I'll download the latest version and see how I get on ^^

stevecs
xr

Post by stevecs » Sun, 9. Jul 23, 18:46

Have tried X4 several times (latest with the 6.10 patch) but it just turns me off. There are so many UI issues with it, it's as if egosoft just decided to throw away the 20 years of user input on these forums.

I mean things like:

Fleet commands/organization completely brain-dead (X2 even had better, not to mention all the X3 variants, or the numerous mods/extensions over the decades) (adding/removing ships to a fleet; changing fleet leader; changing fleet/wing commands; detaching wings or relocating; etc).

Trading fleets, I mean hell sector/universe traders, station traders, resupply fleets/ships, mining fleets, etc. It's X4 is so bad/frustrating in comparison it's like it was done by a completely different company.

UI interface is way to 'kiddie', doesn't provide what you need to manage an empire. The old X2/X3 stuff is orders or magnitude better and with mods can be sorted/filtered. have detailed information in spreadsheet type formats where you can get information dense data displayed immediately. When dealing with hundreds/thousands of ships, heck even 10's of ships X4 is just way too painful.

Even the one thing that *could* have been better with a new engine wasn't done which is to break up computational loads across more cores. I've seen the arguments here from egosoft and others over the last 2+ decades. They don't hold water. I mean I deal with in memory databases frequently where LOTS of information gets updated (much more than what is being tracked here, i.e. say real time connection/packet captures of 200/400gbit networks with 100-200 million packets+ a second being mapped, updated, flows, etc. IPS inspections, etc; or relational databases with 10-20 million queries/second. And this on servers from 8 or more years ago (broadwell) you can do even more now. Same arguments I have at work to build out wide opposed to 'tall' for cloud or other services (thankfully most have come around at least there). But this is a general issue not X4 specific (it's core internal database design issue).

Basically the only things really needed for X3 was: 1) closed system GOD (i.e. no 'cheating' by the game, everything should be sourced from raw materials and no 'eating' of excess) which was a scripting issue; 2) better graphics support (which X4 kind of does); 3) better performance (going to sub 10fps when having large battles even on cpu's 15-20 years after the X3 engine is insane).

Return to “X³: Farnham's Legacy”