X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021, 6pm CET; Livestream at 5pm CET)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity - Unveiling the next chapter of X4: Foundations

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:55

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:43
Aww, come on! It is just a standard "Luxury" dock. We have these in-game now. No relation to Terrans.
I think Luxury dock has different floor tiles.
This looks like Terran version of Luxury dock.
Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:43
Hope this time we are allowed to pilot Sucellus-class destroyers (or their successors), as I am interested in firing that "Insanely Huge Cannon" personally.
Fun fact is that Sucellus seems like spiritual origin of X4 Destroyer class - smaller than M2, armed with frontal main cannons and secondary turrets.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:19

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 19:55
I think Luxury dock has different floor tiles.
This looks like Terran version of Luxury dock.
Really? I just have made a bunch of screenshots from v3.30. They look identical to me.
Spoiler
Show

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:40

Damn, I haven't used luxury dock for ages (as it blinding white) and I was rather sure the floor tiles were not hexagonal.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:53

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 20:40
Damn, I haven't used luxury dock for ages (as it blinding white) and I was rather sure the floor tiles were not hexagonal.
The question is: why is that screenshot there? If it is not the dock itself, that is new, than what? Some Terran NPC's (which I failed to spot)? Background? Some renewed scenery (like those giant megaphones)?

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06

It's slowly but surely becoming very jarring.

I get that it's easier to just reuse interiors for all races n stuff...but for frikks sake Terrans have been SO detached from everyone else that this is just plain ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I am still VERY much looking forward to the next DLC, but this issue of interiors looking all the same AND shipyards looking the same across ALL races will NEVER stop bugging me. (And for shipyards this would even be easy-ish to fix simply by attaching some stylized armor plates depending on the race to the exterior of the "base" shell. It'd make em all feel more fitting without having to redo it all)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06
I get that it's easier to just reuse interiors for all races n stuff...but for frikks sake Terrans have been SO detached from everyone else that this is just plain ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I am still VERY much looking forward to the next DLC, but this issue of interiors looking all the same AND shipyards looking the same across ALL races will NEVER stop bugging me.
I have a bad feeling to see Terran pulse/bolt/beam/plasma medium turrets, just like we have for Split.

Harrison_rus
x4

Post by Harrison_rus » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30

Hm this DLC looks very interesting. And twice interesting for newbie in the X series (played only in X4).
I know little about X lore (I was interested before buying x4) but I know who is Terrans. I don't know was is possible to play as Terran in X3 (seems not). And will be interesting play as Terranian and see other side of story. :)
Gregory wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 10:06
including major new gameplay features (e.g. a new terraforming feature)
Seems we'll get some orbital station which allow us to utilize some excess of recources.
Gregory wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 10:06
and wide-ranging visual improvements (e.g. volumetric fog).
raUlo wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 16:38
reenshots seems to be something simillar to the Aqueduct, that one also seems really weird like why would they post a picture of it? Perhaps it has something to do with the upcoming plot (AFAIK there's no explanation so far as to what the Aqueducts are and why they are spread randomly all over the universe)
Hmm because this is not Sol Aqueduct. I guess devs demonstrate us a "Volumetric fog" feature? And I very hope that this effect increase FPS than decrease. At this moment on 1440p with MSAAx4 with rtx 2080 I get only 30 fps in the fog in absolutely empty sector (without asteroids).
Last edited by Harrison_rus on Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:42

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:06
It's slowly but surely becoming very jarring.

Easy there. :)
First, this is a dock, not an interior. I believe Terran interiors will be unique all right (just like Split/Argon/Paranid/Teladi cockpits/bridges differ).
Second, yes, race-specific docks/construction facilities would be great, but I believe it is not the top priority right now (I'd rank ship variety higher).
Third, this "fits them all" approach to docks is from the day-1, it is not getting any worse. ;)
Harrison_rus wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:30
I know little about X lore (I was interested before buying x4) but I know who is Terrans. I don't know was is possible to play as Terran in X3 (seems not).
It was. Terran gamestarts also had alternate story missions.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:37

I agree--please Egosoft, please consider the least expensive/difficult way to make species docks and such look a bit different. Anything would help, even colors or 2D patterns! :)
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 22:44

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 27. Aug 20, 21:42

Third, this "fits them all" approach to docks is from the day-1, it is not getting any worse. ;)
No no no that is not the point. "It is getting worse" is a reference to the fact that the amount of factions and races is going up...but the interior diversity stays at exactly 0. THIS is what is getting worse.
And that "easy there" condescending kind of comment is just unnecessary. I am just voicing my opinion here, one that quite a few seem to share.

And yeah it might not be the highest on the priority list to take a look at...but at least in part it's easy to at least partially fix. I don't think anyone is expecting full custom interiors for every faction, but some texture work or attached racial armor plates to generic building blocks can do wonders.

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 23:04

Quick note: teaser premiere on IGN will be delayed a bit since Opening Night Live took longer than originally planned. Teaser premiere will be somewhere between midnight CEST - 1am CEST on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuWrexYHCyQ // https://www.twitch.tv/ign

Sometime throughout the European night they will then also upload the teaser to their YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/ign and tomorrow at 7pm CEST we'll also upload it to our own channel.
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 27. Aug 20, 23:11

Bruh...no matter what you say I will stay up until I see it.

And if I am too tired to go to Uni tomorrow the blame will be on you. I hope you are prepared for that! :lol:

mopoulpo
xr

Post by mopoulpo » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:13

Well, seems they're around 38 minutes late, so I'd say 00:23 CEST. (humble games started 2 min ago)
So, 11 minutes to go ;p

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:27

After seeing the trailer I can at least take THAT back: Yay new interiors (at least some)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRg5mA5OWc <- If you missed it.
Last edited by Shehriazad on Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:28

After waiting ages, thats all we get about 20 seconds clip, most of which is from screenshots. That sucked.

Only thing i liked was the docking bit at the end on the new terran stations rest was meh.

Come on ego........
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:30

The reveal trailer just aired over IGN's livestream. The soundtrack on that was awesome, I gotta say. And it looks great! Variable geometry ships (example of the one landing in the station), as well as the cavernous station hangar? Yes pleaaaaaase!

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:31

Skeeter wrote:
Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:28
After waiting ages, thats all we get about 20 seconds clip, most of which is from screenshots. That sucked.

Only thing i liked was the docking bit at the end on the new terran stations rest was meh.

Come on ego........
According to the schedule there's a gameplay reveal trailer coming up around a half hour or so after the reveal trailer that just ran.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:32

Trailer was so-so.
Too much time wasted on aqueduct showing the fog effect,plus the music was also so-so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRg5mA5OWc

The good:
0:33 - Terran asymetric fighter
0:40 - Terran destroyer (4 large turret spot and one S-landing pad - rather bog standard copy/paste of Split destroyer)
1:15 - Terran wide wing fighter (looks rather odd - the wings stand out too much for a space fighter and even have to fold before landing)
1:33 - Terran "covered" hangar (best thing in the trailer) and fold wing landing
Nulric wrote:
Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:30
The reveal trailer just aired over IGN's livestream. The soundtrack on that was awesome, I gotta say. And it looks great! Variable geometry ships (example of the one landing in the station), as well as the cavernous station hangar? Yes pleaaaaaase!
Variable geometry is already in vanilla, but not user - Star Wars mod for X4 is using it already.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:39, edited 4 times in total.

Hero77
x4

Post by Hero77 » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:32

I liked the volumetric clouds with the god-rays effect, but lighting in general seemed a bit off, looked artificially lighted, not enough shadows on the station surface.
i7-5960X @4Ghz 8 Cores, RTX 2080 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 RAM

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Fri, 28. Aug 20, 00:42

I wonder why earth wasn't shown. Maybe the Torus is back or something similar?

Return to “X4: Foundations”