Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:05

Cyron43 wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 14:26
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 29. Feb 20, 16:20
The reason for the non-existence of more interiors has been explained several times before and after release, for example in this topic just one page ago:
CBJ wrote:
Fri, 3. Jan 20, 13:27

As mentioned in response to previous questions about this, it's relatively unlikely. There would need to be a strong gameplay reason for players to visit those areas, otherwise most people would go there once and never bother again, making it rather a waste creating them. And the problem with making a strong gameplay reason for players to go there is that is that not everyone wants to be forced to walk around to play a space game. In general, we currently feel that our time and resources are better spent on things that more people will see and interact with.
With all due respect but this sounds like a ridiculous excuse when we look at STAR CITIZEN. I would prefer that game over X4 anytime if only I could afford it! Why? There's a plethora of reasons and one is immersion. When a ship's specification says it has space for 6 crew members then there IS that space available. Now look at the tiny Callisto. Allegedly it can hold one service guy and one military guy - but where ffs??? This is just one example. I could go on and on but you get the gist.
Sorry, but this is asinine. Star Citizen is not even a real game yet. When it is finished, then we can talk about it. How many years have they been working on it? How much money have they spent in development? Comparing Star citizen to X4 is ludicrous. I am not disparaging Star Citizen here either. If it ever gets finished, I would like to try it, but can you even do the things you can in X4 in Star Citizen? Star Citizen seems like an MMO in space where instead of building your own fleets controlled by your own npcs, you can only rely on other people for these types of things, etc. Will you be able to build stations in it? Run your own shipyard? Etc. It just isn't the same type of game.

The-Gizmo2
x4

Post by The-Gizmo2 » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:09

More interior seems like a job best left to modders anyways. That way it's not forced upon anyone.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:11

Cyron43 wrote:
With all due respect but this sounds like a ridiculous excuse when we look at STAR CITIZEN. I would prefer that game over X4 anytime if only I could afford it!
You do know that their team is around 20x the size of ours, and their budget many times more than that, right? I mean, call that an "excuse" if you like, but it won't change the reality!

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:28

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:11
Cyron43 wrote:
With all due respect but this sounds like a ridiculous excuse when we look at STAR CITIZEN. I would prefer that game over X4 anytime if only I could afford it!
You do know that their team is around 20x the size of ours, and their budget many times more than that, right? I mean, call that an "excuse" if you like, but it won't change the reality!
As another counterpoint, on the things that matter to me, X4 (and XR) already allow more than that game-in-progress!
Last edited by tomchk on Mon, 2. Mar 20, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 16:53

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 14:46
Creating interiors that most people will never visit, because their only purpose is "immersion", is not a good use of those resources.
Having living quarters where you could find staff not currently on the shift would be nice (like how it was in "X: Rebirth" with the "Capital Ship Bridge" mod) but it is not necessary.

Having player's own office (or" Board of Directors") to sit and manage the Empire would be even better! I'm tired of standing in a corridor or amid dock and hearing a constant stream of "Hello"s from random dudes distracting me from my schemes of World Dominance (economic, of course 8) ).

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 17:04

Alm888 wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 16:53
CBJ wrote:
Creating interiors that most people will never visit, because their only purpose is "immersion", is not a good use of those resources.
Having living quarters where you could find staff not currently on the shift would be nice (like how it was in "X: Rebirth" with the "Capital Ship Bridge" mod) but it is not necessary.

Having player's own office (or" Board of Directors") to sit and manage the Empire would be even better! I'm tired of standing in a corridor or amid dock and hearing a constant stream of "Hello"s from random dudes distracting me from my schemes of World Dominance (economic, of course 8) ).
Yeah, that type of location is requested so often that I think it would be worth their limited time.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 18:16

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 15:11
Cyron43 wrote:
Considering what is currently in Star Citizen, I'd say X4 is not half bad and Egosoft productivity per developer is much better.
I wonder what X4 could be, if it had 1% of SC budget :)

QRHCooper
x3

Post by QRHCooper » Fri, 6. Mar 20, 12:31

Seeing alot of arguments for and against the whole "immersions" experience ect. I do agree with some but, not all of the points raised. Mainly pertaining to realism. For me, I need to think that it could, theoretically, be "real". Having 3 crew members onboard a vessel that clearly cannot hold more than one (at a stretch) kinda breaks that illusions for me.

I would, however, like to express my gratitude to the X4 team for their continued dedication and production. I have been playing the X universe since i first discovered X2 many moons ago. Thank you :)

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 02:57

CBJ wrote:
And if you read back, you will also read replies from people who categorically do NOT want that. We have to find a middle ground where people who want to walk around can do so, and people who do not are not forced to too often. Like any team, we have limited resources and have to work out the best use of those resources. Creating interiors that most people will never visit, because their only purpose is "immersion", is not a good use of those resources.
CBJ, is there any documentation how to create mods adding internal hallways, custom rooms or even expand the ship interiors?
I have an idea to make at least all production modules accessible and been able to walk around them, but need information where to start from :lol:

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 03:06

Panos wrote:
Tue, 10. Mar 20, 02:57
CBJ wrote:
And if you read back, you will also read replies from people who categorically do NOT want that. We have to find a middle ground where people who want to walk around can do so, and people who do not are not forced to too often. Like any team, we have limited resources and have to work out the best use of those resources. Creating interiors that most people will never visit, because their only purpose is "immersion", is not a good use of those resources.
CBJ, is there any documentation how to create mods adding internal hallways, custom rooms or even expand the ship interiors?
I have an idea to make at least all production modules accessible and been able to walk around them, but need information where to start from :lol:
That’s a genius idea. I bet most people have never flown by and looked at those sweet modules, which clearly took a ton of work. This way we could walk through them!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 10. Mar 20, 12:23

I'm afraid you won't be able to add interiors to production modules as they're not coded to allow them.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 11. Mar 20, 01:20

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 10. Mar 20, 12:23
I'm afraid you won't be able to add interiors to production modules as they're not coded to allow them.
:(

However is there any documentation about the other modules how they have corridors and especially the warf modules?
Because could bypass this by creating custom production modules from the same graphics and put a walkway around like on the dock areas. :)

I have the ideas, but I do not know where to start from :mrgreen:

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 11. Mar 20, 01:21

tomchk wrote:
Tue, 10. Mar 20, 03:06
Panos wrote:
Tue, 10. Mar 20, 02:57
CBJ wrote:
That’s a genius idea. I bet most people have never flown by and looked at those sweet modules, which clearly took a ton of work. This way we could walk through them!
Yeah. The graphics & animations are mazing and especially those open modules that support fly by I do it often for the sight. :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 11. Mar 20, 01:33

As I said, putting a "walkway" on a production module won't work. You won't be able to walk there.

Please take any further discussion of your modding ideas to the Scripts and Modding forum.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 21:49

SInce Split Vendetta is gonna be release tomorrow, when do you plan to reveal DLC2 race?

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:10

I hope for the terrans but my money is on the Borron race.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:11

Waltz9 wrote:
Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:10
I hope for the terrans but my money is on the Borron race.
I think Terrans is far more likely. Terrans do not require substantially new character models. Borons, being aquatic, pose a much greater challenge for animating the characters.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:15

Yeah I would bet a lot that DLC2 will be Terran, but they are certainly thinking about Boron for later (maybe DLC3?). They've made it pretty clear that basic decisions need to be made about how to implement Boron.

My biggest hope for DLC2 with Terrans: give us scenic superhighways so we can zoom past and a bit around planets, the belt, etc.! This would be so much cooler than just using accelerators, and they showed in XR that they can do this very well. This design is barely used at all in X4, sadly!

SparvieroGed
x4

Post by SparvieroGed » Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:33

tomchk wrote:
Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:15

My biggest hope for DLC2 with Terrans: give us scenic superhighways so we can zoom past and a bit around planets, the belt, etc.! This would be so much cooler than just using accelerators, and they showed in XR that they can do this very well. This design is barely used at all in X4, sadly!
I loved that in Rebirth...A LOT, the best-looking X game in my opinion due to this feature.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 31. Mar 20, 02:37

SparvieroGed wrote:
Mon, 30. Mar 20, 23:33
I loved that in Rebirth...A LOT, the best-looking X game in my opinion due to this feature.
Yeah I do think XR is still the best looking (and best in some other ways) for now, but hopefully X4 will surpass it on all points soon!
I also think they should add some neutral sectors *in existing systems* *with no new content needed* and connect them to current sectors with super highways. That would let us travel around each solar system with minimal work or performance impact. These "new" sectors could just have resources and nothing else, so they are worth visiting for mining at least.

Return to “X4: Foundations”