Introducing the XLOG video series

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Re: Introducing the XLOG video series

Post by Axeface » Sat, 25. Jan 20, 02:21

Those Split stations looks so awesome, cant wait to blow them all up. Oh, and the Split cockpits are amazing too.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 22:21

Man Bern has aged a lot :o XR/X4 development must have been hard one him :(

Im glad I too see Ego communicating more and I hope he continue this path in future. My main concern is still lack of fighting action and lack of combat missions (genetic) like in X3 and XR where we can defend station or kill pirate boss.... Not trying to badmouth X4 in any way because it is still good game but I don't see reason why to invest in any DLC if it is going to be same boring universe. Staying out of other factions wars is good for business so I can sell weapons to both sides :twisted: So some random spawn pirates missions would be perfect to test my new shiny weapons :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 27. Jan 20, 22:24

They're definitely working on combat missions. I personally would hate for them to rely on "spawning" ships per se, but they could definitely incorporate the anomalies and/or the ventures feature to bring us ships to fight!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 10:49

People that modified games can't use ventures and current missions only give you missions against other factions... They need to add pirates with their own economy like Xenon in order for this to work. Not sure if Ego is going to put that much effort for it... XR had one of best missions in my opinion. Even though XR was questionable game missions made it actually fun enough to have over 2000h on it ;)
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 14:12

You can get venture visitors in modified games, you just can’t send them. My idea would be to bring in visitors that you should attack, either defensively or offensively.
Somebody said they found new pirate faction(s) in the newer data files, so I’m sure missions involving them are coming.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 22:18

tomchk wrote:
Tue, 28. Jan 20, 14:12
You can get venture visitors in modified games, you just can’t send them. My idea would be to bring in visitors that you should attack, either defensively or offensively.
Somebody said they found new pirate faction(s) in the newer data files, so I’m sure missions involving them are coming.
I was looking at that file last night, wasnt sure if they were in the original or not. Interesting :)

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 29. Jan 20, 22:12

That is interesting... Ill be keeping eye on. Problem with using existing assets or even other player venture ships will limit number of missions in universe (limited number of ships in universe vs production). Spawning ships out of thin air to be attacked or attack station would solve all of those problems.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 29. Jan 20, 22:16

Nikola515 wrote:
Wed, 29. Jan 20, 22:12
That is interesting... Ill be keeping eye on. Problem with using existing assets or even other player venture ships will limit number of missions in universe (limited number of ships in universe vs production). Spawning ships out of thin air to be attacked or attack station would solve all of those problems.
Don't other players' venture ships basically spawn? I didn't think they got produced but haven't looked at any code. If they must resort to spawning, I just want them to have a lore basis for it, like visitors or Khaak warping in or something.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 29. Jan 20, 22:36

Please stay on-topic in this thread.

obri [on Linux]

Post by obri [on Linux] » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 17:27

Hi egosoft team,

I just watched the latest XLOG - very impressive how you simulate nearly the whole universe.

One question came to my mind. How many threads/CPU cores can X4 use? I own a Ryzen 7 1800x wich can handle 16 logical CPU cores. How much of them are used by X4? As the game seems to use a lot of CPU Power, this would be interesting to know.

Best regards

obri

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 31. Jan 20, 18:11

That question has been answered a few times already, but the threads are probably not so easy to find so you're forgiven for asking again. ;)

The game uses two threads very heavily, one for the main universe simulation and one for rendering the current view. It then uses other threads for various tasks such as asset loading, pathing, certain types of physics simulation, and so on. Based on this, 4 cores is the minimum it can comfortably work with, and it will certainly make use of more than that but with diminishing returns after a certain point. What it can't do, because of the deep and complex interconnectedness of the objects in the game universe, is spread the universe simulation itself over multiple threads. This means that the core speed is, and will remain, an important factor, and will become more important than the number of cores once those diminishing returns kick in.

Again, if people want to discuss this further, please do so in another thread!

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 10:50

When is the next XLOG and what will it be about?

What staff works on the different parts of the expansion or 3.0 update?

What is Bernd's role/what parts of the game does he work on at Egosoft?

Are you already thinking about the next X game or the next expansion?
Just... another... bug.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. Feb 20, 12:39

DaMuncha wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 10:50
Probably way too early for next X-game, but with closing to release of Split Vendetta I think DLC 2 is already in the work (as they said it's too early for Borons, I hope for Terrans).

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 10:17

Please talk about the plans for endgame content, if there are any. Currently it feels lacking.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 16:39

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 12:39
DaMuncha wrote:
Sun, 2. Feb 20, 10:50
Probably way too early for next X-game, but with closing to release of Split Vendetta I think DLC 2 is already in the work (as they said it's too early for Borons, I hope for Terrans).
I wouldn't mind if the second DLC was all about antagonists.

Expanded pirates, overarching Xenon plot, Khaak doing something shady again...or simply some megacorps trying to shift the power in their...profitable....favour.

I'd actually be happy about the Terrans NOT playing a big role. Heck...I would love to see a new player enter the cosmos as well.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 17:42

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 16:39

I'd actually be happy about the Terrans NOT playing a big role. Heck...I would love to see a new player enter the cosmos as well.
Why not antagonist Terrans? WIth what hapened in X3 AP I wouldn't be suprised them wanting to settle old grudges with their Argon cousins (they would be natural HOP ally).

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 17:56

Yeah, antagonist Terrans sounds *sweet*, and the assets should be much less work, allowing Egosoft to focus on gameplay features!

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:17

Hi benard,can you talk about ,end game stuff,like the appearance of the Ancients /soleran and Outsiders ?.What there ships look like? .Ancients purpose of the gates changing connections alot? .There war with outsiders?.Will these have an apperence in x4 foundations?.bye take care. :o :D .
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:28

Greenhorn wrote:
Thu, 6. Feb 20, 18:17
Hi benard,can you talk about ,end game stuff,like the appearance of the Ancients /soleran and Outsiders ?
I think they stated multiple times that Ancients/Outsider stuff will remain only in lore background as they would be too OP to even consider.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Fri, 7. Feb 20, 03:08

One thing I would love to hear more in depth would be the scope for the upcoming Diplomacy system.

Things like what are the supposed mechanics?
Can we shift relations between factions?
Can we make or break alliances between factions?
Can we become a minor faction to a major?
Can we become a major faction and have vassals?
Can we entice factions to merge "Holy Order of Argon Prime"?

Those are just a few questions that make me wonder what to expect.
Certainly there are others that would also appreciate the team spending some time to talk about the system.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

Return to “X4: Foundations”