Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Riccardoman
x4

Re: Next steps in the evolution of X4: Foundations

Post by Riccardoman » Sun, 5. Jan 20, 00:16

Agree with all the 7 suggestions
New interiors are much needed to give the idea that the stations are just not empty polygons
But at the moment I would prefer all the devs to focus on expanding the base assets (new ship types, new races, new weapons and engines, new sectors) so the modders will have more things to work with and can come up with an X4 XTM

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 5. Jan 20, 00:44

If ego wants a reason for more areas you can walk like on the ships, why not have a engineering room, it would be nice to see a sorta trek styled engine room with the core running (or simpler version from ENT) and what to do there, well you can gather parts/mods from around the universe as in unique finds or from npcs for the goods ones or basic ones from equip docks and install them personally in sorta hotspots around the engineering area like a console you just go up to hit a key select from a list you are carrying and click install. Then you have say +10 shield power or +5 weapon power etc. Something like shield, speed or firepower mods with 3 locations in engineering to install.

Maybe a ten forward on cap ships where you can sit down look out the window have a drink or convo with a npc while looking at the stars while ai pilots ur ship during a trade run.

A hold where cargo goes, well imo instead of instant cargo on and off ship when buying and selling perhaps you can load the cargo yourself, could be a fun mini game using a lifter or anti grav mover to load em etc. Could be used as a pirating tool later if funds allow ego to expand it as in piracy on stations i.e go to a docked cap ship and nick their stuff. Needs some sorta police guard protection on station or cameras to not make it so easy with sorta timing between patrols or scan directions. No hacking mini games tho as i dont like those unless its just to open the door to cargo bays which lets say u just have a item like a door decrypter u need to use no puzzles or anything tho.

People can either do these things or not, no need to but the risk vs reward might make ppl want to try and so if offered ingame ppl might use them. It is a sandbox after all.

Finished the game and polish it first but these things can be considered later if funds allow and some ppl at ego might wana impliment in their spare time if they thing there good things to add in like some devs do.

I think star citizen might have some of these things too but but game devs borrow ideas all the time from other games, ego has of course a few times in the past and im sure others have borrowed from ego.

Anyhow cbj said its unlikely without good gameplay reason, well there some are. Plus there is always during a fight u can get a ai to pilot to flee while u go down to engineering to say use a repair laser on stuff thats dmged and try to get things back quicker by doing it urself if the ai crew in there is busy doing other things. So theres another good one, keep those engine and shields up why fleeing.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Ynesra_Voles
x4

Post by Ynesra_Voles » Sun, 12. Jan 20, 11:17

Hello! More assets is nice, but the hard drive is not made of rubber, and in 1000 ships it will always be just two that are most favored. Other 998 will be just gimmicks which you will only destroy/sell/automate-n-forget. Also, new assets are a biggest pain for developers cuz the difficult design process.

After 100+ hours in X4 since launch I came to the same problems as many mentioned here: Nothing interesting to do. Of course, there are global wars somewhere and you can eliminate an entire faction... But why should you? You can easily get max affinity with everyone build a huge trade empire and put game universe in a state of utopian singularity where NOTHING HAPPENS.

So, my suggestions to gameplay changes will mostly focus on story part:
Affinity missions! Want to get access to military grade equipment/cap ships - show your affinity by carrying out a devastating attack against factions adversaries. Like wanna be “Hero of Federation”? Destroy a Paranid cruiser... and become -5 with Godrealm of Paranid. And if you want to buy a Paranid Cruiser - be ready to hit some Argons... and become their enemy.

Also, a very rare and expensive, and illegal ship ID-scrambler would be nice.

Further, some ships like Quazar can be removed from shipyards and become unique rewards for some quests.
Also, there can be invented some “science” expeditions in order to obtain some derelict tech, unique weapons, unique ships from the outreaches of xenon/khaak sectors. It can be like 7 missions from Mahi Ma where the 7th is about capturing a Xenon J. (I mean, step-by-step mission with objectives like “buy a fleet” and “train marines to 5 stars”!) Then transporting it to HQ to build in a life-supporting infrastructure. Though a special script would make all peaceful factions hostile to this ship if it shows up in their space.

Further, through the time of the game all of factions may have own research departments working in order to unlock more powerful shields, lasers and other equipment. Like as a player to see Pulse Lazer MK2 you can either wait 30 hours of in game time or aid a faction through some quests like “capture a scientist!”. And so all factions will upgrade until MK10 equipment at the 1000th hour of one game. Or a bit earlier if the player is actively helping... or capturing all scientists across the universe to run her own arms race.

Lastly, I would love to see some upkeep requirements on ships. Like personnel cost 2000-50000 per 5 in-game hours depending on skill level, cap ships need to constantly refuel and support ships are these huge warehouses with ship-related wares as consumables that can heal any friendly ship in 5km proximity. It will put some pressure on player to get a big, working infrastructure in order to sustain a fleet. Not all players will like it, but you can call it a “Realism Mode”.

Best regards!

PS: Egosoft, please, create a poll and if majority of community approves add micro transactions for cosmetics cuz I would happily pay 1-2$ for a good looking unique skin or a alternative cockpit with some optional decorations.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sun, 12. Jan 20, 14:16

I do like your research proposal involving other factions actually progressing and you potentially helping or hurting those efforts.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Thu, 16. Jan 20, 02:41

Ynesra_Voles wrote:
Sun, 12. Jan 20, 11:17
PS: Egosoft, please, create a poll and if majority of community approves add micro transactions for cosmetics cuz I would happily pay 1-2$ for a good looking unique skin or a alternative cockpit with some optional decorations.
Oh god please no micro transactions in-game. We want to evolve here not spiral into darkness. If they do wish to do it though, I opt for out-of-game DLC purchase for a pack of something like that.
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Felicitus Bigbeaver
x4

Post by Felicitus Bigbeaver » Thu, 16. Jan 20, 08:51

Being friends with all folk bothers me.

Maybe we have starts where the player has grudge against one or two of the races and is rewarded financially when he helps against them somehow. Trading with a rival or helping a rival. Destroying property or members of that race. Extra points if they don't notice and you are their friends. Muahahahaha

alexthespaniard

Post by alexthespaniard » Sun, 19. Jan 20, 16:05

I agree with everything you comment. But not about microtransactions. It is clear that they need a minimum job in terms of diplomacy. It cannot be that a faction grows, is the number one threat in the universe and that everyone don’t care about you. Your character should have some relevance.

There must also be a balance in the game. I don't know if in the form of maintenance, treaties or more real threats. But the number of elements in a game should have an editable limit for the user at least. In my case I would like to enjoy the game at more than 30 fps with some sense. At the beginning I go to 60 fps with the maximum graphics. I do not ask that this always be at 60 but more than 30 if it should be a guarantee with a 2080 traffic.

Also not because of the fact that the game is fluid. but because there is a point that making ships without stopping has no meaning. Because there is no threat that can stop you. building ships and stations to infinity makes no sense.

Cyron43
x4

Post by Cyron43 » Sun, 19. Jan 20, 17:52

I would like more ship interiors (not just the cockpits) and a design which matches the staff capacity. I mean, even the tiny callisto can hold 2 additional crew members, but where??? This is ridiculous!
I know X4 can never come close to Star Citizen, can it? Anyway you get an idea of what I have in mind.

alexthespaniard

Post by alexthespaniard » Sun, 19. Jan 20, 18:26

Cyron43 wrote:
Sun, 19. Jan 20, 17:52
I would like more ship interiors (not just the cockpits) and a design which matches the staff capacity. I mean, even the tiny callisto can hold 2 additional crew members, but where??? This is ridiculous!
I know X4 can never come close to Star Citizen, can it? Anyway you get an idea of what I have in mind.
X4 feels better for me I have confidence with Egosoft Team they step by step and listening the community will get the best space game ever. We don’t need a Stellaris or a Star citizen we need a half and half one player X4 with his own personality.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 11. Feb 20, 09:41

Ynesra_Voles wrote:
Sun, 12. Jan 20, 11:17
Absolutely not! We've seen what the introduction of microtransactions do to other games quality, to other developers mindsets, to other publishers priorities, and it almost always ended up in disaster, regardless of the initially tame intentions. It's like drugs : Some can manage them and use them responsibly, but those are few and far between, so the best way to keep integrity and quality is to never start using them in the first place.

That being said, i don't mind cosmetics as additioonal content in larger expansions.

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Fri, 28. Feb 20, 19:12

As for ship interiors it is easily doable. JL's SM mod has had ship interiors for a long time now and if you look at the way the hallways are made in the stations it is pretty obvious that interiors were planned. How they got lost in the progress is the question. That said I do think the ships need more interior stuff to help with immersion. Also there needs to be more commands you can give the Captain on the bridge for fleet control, without having to go to the map. Also I think its time to address the issue of these NPC's in 3 piece suits and hoodies. I mean I can see hoodies on NPC's that do Black market stuff, and I even can see the fems running around in leggings, after all I have read the Sirantha Jjax books ,but it is time to put the marines in proper armor and the crew in uniforms. We need a way to outfit a carrier with a crew that looks like a crew, not Walmart on a Friday nite. Another thing that I would like to see is more in spacesuit stufff. Like mining all those crystals in a spacesuit. Maybe some sort of mining drill you could operate from your suit. I would rather have that than more crafting mini games where you stand at a workbench and add up a witches brew of ingredients to make some wierd hacking tools. And I freely confess I play with the no highways mod and have from day one. I realize there is a whole new generation of xgamers that discovered this game with Rebirth and they want highways. To me if I wanted to play in traffic I have a vehicle in the garage for that. I buy space games to fly in space. If I want a highway I'll buy a racing game.

Kris86

Post by Kris86 » Fri, 28. Feb 20, 21:07

boogieman335 wrote:
Fri, 28. Feb 20, 19:12
As for ship interiors it is easily doable. JL's SM mod has had ship interiors for a long time now and if you look at the way the hallways are made in the stations it is pretty obvious that interiors were planned. How they got lost in the progress is the question. That said I do think the ships need more interior stuff to help with immersion. Also there needs to be more commands you can give the Captain on the bridge for fleet control, without having to go to the map. Also I think its time to address the issue of these NPC's in 3 piece suits and hoodies. I mean I can see hoodies on NPC's that do Black market stuff, and I even can see the fems running around in leggings, after all I have read the Sirantha Jjax books ,but it is time to put the marines in proper armor and the crew in uniforms. We need a way to outfit a carrier with a crew that looks like a crew, not Walmart on a Friday nite. Another thing that I would like to see is more in spacesuit stufff. Like mining all those crystals in a spacesuit. Maybe some sort of mining drill you could operate from your suit. I would rather have that than more crafting mini games where you stand at a workbench and add up a witches brew of ingredients to make some wierd hacking tools. And I freely confess I play with the no highways mod and have from day one. I realize there is a whole new generation of xgamers that discovered this game with Rebirth and they want highways. To me if I wanted to play in traffic I have a vehicle in the garage for that. I buy space games to fly in space. If I want a highway I'll buy a racing game.
60 minutes of applause!!!!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 29. Feb 20, 16:20

The reason for the non-existence of more interiors has been explained several times before and after release, for example in this topic just one page ago:
CBJ wrote:
Fri, 3. Jan 20, 13:27
kroobzh wrote:
Fri, 3. Jan 20, 01:44
Hi, Egosoft. Will you add cabins to ships? For example, the engineering compartment, the captain’s cabin? This would make the ship feel large. Thanks.
As mentioned in response to previous questions about this, it's relatively unlikely. There would need to be a strong gameplay reason for players to visit those areas, otherwise most people would go there once and never bother again, making it rather a waste creating them. And the problem with making a strong gameplay reason for players to go there is that is that not everyone wants to be forced to walk around to play a space game. In general, we currently feel that our time and resources are better spent on things that more people will see and interact with.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 1. Mar 20, 11:06

"Not everyone wants to be forced to walk around to play a space game."

This. This 100 times. This was the problem of Rebirth before NESA was integrated. And, to an extent, it remained even after NESA was integrated. You made some things only available when disembarking at stations, forcing players to do that.

But you keep doing it in X4. Inventory traders. Venture sendoff. Missions. Sometimes for no reason at all. Practical examples:

War subscription. Dock to talk to employer (OK, understandable; meeting once face to face, setting up security clearances, whatever). Go kill the phony target. Immediately return, dock, walk and talk again for something that could've been just done over the radio.

Passenger transport. "Hey, I want to get off here quick". Yes, which means player needs to dock and walk and hunt you down. Why can't the passenger walk to dock on their own???

If you do acknowledge that "not everyone wants to be forced", why are you forcing us to do things in one particular way without alternatives? Okay, there's one alternative - just don't do them. Don't sell loot. Don't send ships on ventures. Don't take war subscription. Don't take delivery missions. Don't play game.

Billynomates
x4

Post by Billynomates » Sun, 1. Mar 20, 22:03

Ok been really patient and held off making any comments after you guys laid out what, where and when. But I have to say, you really need to start communicating where you are with 3.0 as we now in March. So how many more months before I get the expansion I paid for in advance in good faith? I've held off playing until you get this expansion out but I'd like it before my time is up on the real planet please!

Loading please wait...!!! Looking forward to your response... :gruebel:

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 00:09

I believe there’s a stream this week with an update in German. It’ll be translated a week later.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 01:47

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 29. Feb 20, 16:20
The reason for the non-existence of more interiors has been explained several times before and after release, for example in this topic just one page ago:
CBJ wrote:
kroobzh wrote:
Hi, Egosoft. Will you add cabins to ships? For example, the engineering compartment, the captain’s cabin? This would make the ship feel large. Thanks.
As mentioned in response to previous questions about this, it's relatively unlikely. There would need to be a strong gameplay reason for players to visit those areas, otherwise most people would go there once and never bother again, making it rather a waste creating them. And the problem with making a strong gameplay reason for players to go there is that is that not everyone wants to be forced to walk around to play a space game. In general, we currently feel that our time and resources are better spent on things that more people will see and interact with.
You want a game play reason to walk around inside a ship I'll give you one It's called immersion, and may very well be at least half of why I buy games to begin with.You want to feel like you are there inside a big ship.Just like the feeling you get when you walk out on a dock for the first time and look up at that big freighter and say to yourself hey the EGO guy's really got it right this time.I really feel like I am on a space dock looking up at my ship and then you walk on board and you get a guy in a hoodie and a cockpit and that's it............... immersion blown. You want a reason for putting more guts inside the ship how about this one .........the people in this thread and I don't know how many others on this forum and the forums of all the previous x games that have asked again and again for them, you know the people who pay their money and buy these games?

Cyron43
x4

Post by Cyron43 » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 14:26

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
CBJ wrote:
kroobzh wrote:
With all due respect but this sounds like a ridiculous excuse when we look at STAR CITIZEN. I would prefer that game over X4 anytime if only I could afford it! Why? There's a plethora of reasons and one is immersion. When a ship's specification says it has space for 6 crew members then there IS that space available. Now look at the tiny Callisto. Allegedly it can hold one service guy and one military guy - but where ffs??? This is just one example. I could go on and on but you get the gist.

Cyron43
x4

Post by Cyron43 » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 14:41

boogieman335 wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 01:47
X2-Illuminatus wrote:
CBJ wrote:

You want a game play reason to walk around inside a ship I'll give you one It's called immersion, and may very well be at least half of why I buy games to begin with.You want to feel like you are there inside a big ship.Just like the feeling you get when you walk out on a dock for the first time and look up at that big freighter and say to yourself hey the EGO guy's really got it right this time.I really feel like I am on a space dock looking up at my ship and then you walk on board and you get a guy in a hoodie and a cockpit and that's it............... immersion blown. You want a reason for putting more guts inside the ship how about this one .........the people in this thread and I don't know how many others on this forum and the forums of all the previous x games that have asked again and again for them, you know the people who pay their money and buy these games?
100% THIS!!!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 14:46

And if you read back, you will also read replies from people who categorically do NOT want that. We have to find a middle ground where people who want to walk around can do so, and people who do not are not forced to too often. Like any team, we have limited resources and have to work out the best use of those resources. Creating interiors that most people will never visit, because their only purpose is "immersion", is not a good use of those resources.

Return to “X4: Foundations”