Will compatible weapons from other X games ever come back?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Max Bain
x3ap

Will compatible weapons from other X games ever come back?

Post by Max Bain » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 01:06

One feature that I really miss a lot is that in older X games each ship had different compatible weapon systems a player could mount on the ships. That made each ship individual and unique.
I see that we have a lot less weapons in X4 now and this might be the reason why Ego removed that system from X4, but I hope we will see more new weapon systems in the future and then I hope we get the "compatible weapons" for each ship back.

Any chance for this? What do you think? Any information about this? Is Egosoft happy without this feature?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Will compatible weapons from other X games ever come back?

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 03:10

Yes, I really hope that it will make a comeback. In fact, I would like to see all equipment (engines, shields, weapons, turrets) have ship compatibility, or ideally ship-specific advantages and disadvantages. This would greatly increase variety without introducing a ton of new ships. For example, when races don't match (i.e. a PAR item is installed on ARG ship), the equipment could suffer a minor penalty. Or ships could have a list of bonuses/penalties for using particular equipment.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 03:50

In fact, I would like to see all equipment (engines, shields, weapons, turrets) have ship compatibility, or ideally ship-specific advantages and disadvantages.
These elements also need to be destructible on all ships. Having M and smaller ships be effectively indestructible in terms of equipment is a huge problem for balancing, and makes things like strategic weaponry (ion cannon, emp missile) impossible. Considering the modular system actually applies to these ships and the surface elements are shown, it's a mystery why Egosoft disabled this functionality for non-capital ships.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 05:57

Id love the alpha ire lazers up to the gamma ones and maybe the ion thing from x2 to catch spaceflys, to come back. We need more colourful weapons in x4 and missiles because as it stands there pretty dull except the beam weapons.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 07:58

Skeeter wrote:
Sun, 7. Jul 19, 05:57
Id love the alpha ire lazers up to the gamma ones
I think it'd be better to instead implement something like the range X3/XRM offered. More "Mk1" "Mk2" and "Mk3" variants isn't exactly what the game needs. Different viable loadouts specific to certain ships and roles is.

Berserk Knight
x4

Post by Berserk Knight » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 08:28

The system itself is already in place. (Main batteries of destroyers, as well as certain turret slots not being able to equip missile turrets.)
EgoSoft just needs to use it more, and they really should. It really gets bland since everything is basically the same with only minor variations to basic ship stats.

Alexraptor
x4

Post by Alexraptor » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 13:14

Would love to see it, I'd also like to see more distinction between existing weapon types.
Like take the bolt turrets and bolt repeaters, they seem to function pretty much the same as any other weapon while being awfully reminiscent of the Mass Driver in earlier games, a kinetic weapon type that required ammunition but actually ignored shields. I feel that few of the weapons in the game really have an identity of their own like they did in earlier games.
adeine wrote:
Sun, 7. Jul 19, 03:50
In fact, I would like to see all equipment (engines, shields, weapons, turrets) have ship compatibility, or ideally ship-specific advantages and disadvantages.
These elements also need to be destructible on all ships. Having M and smaller ships be effectively indestructible in terms of equipment is a huge problem for balancing, and makes things like strategic weaponry (ion cannon, emp missile) impossible. Considering the modular system actually applies to these ships and the surface elements are shown, it's a mystery why Egosoft disabled this functionality for non-capital ships.
I agree completely, feels awfully arcade-like to have full combat capability right up until the ship dies as well as being able to cripple capital ships with impunity.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 7. Jul 19, 13:39

My only concern is that there is no initial variety between weapons (S lasers -> M lasers -> L lasers) and that everything can mount Torpedoes, even the tiniest scout ships. This comes out rather bland. I could live with some limitations for instance, Bombers and L+ ships only capable of mounting Torpedo launchers/turrets, M/L/XL ships getting different weapon varieties from lasers/shells/plasma/ion blasters. Turret varieties and S-class turrets wouldn't hurt either. You get the idea.

Part of this is addressed in the VRO mod, but VRO also does some other things I'm not quite fond of.

Return to “X4: Foundations”