Real Salvage Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Post Reply
WesternGunman
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 13. Feb 06, 03:00
x3tc

Real Salvage Mod

Post by WesternGunman » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 22:25

I originally posted this in the Steam Workshop until it was suggested that I post it here. I've tweaked the idea from my original post to simplify it.

Does anyone have an idea on how to make a mod to salvage ship and station wrecks?
Here is my idea, I just am not sure how to do it.

New Equipment:
Salvage Drones

New Order:
SRS (Search, Rescue, Salvage) - Similar to collect wares.

Action:
Launches a drone for each wreck in range.

How it works:
Ships wrecks sizes take different amounts of time to salvage. Crew's Engineering skill reduces time and increases salvage rates.
S - 5min
M - 15min
L - 30min
XL - 1hr
Stations - (each component salvage takes twice build time)

Salvage has chance to:
Salvage construction materials (random % (15-80) of build costs of wreck)
Recover Lost Cargo stuck in salvage (free from wreck)
Recover inventory items
Chance to rescue Pilots or Crew.
Chance to retrieve datacores for blueprints (based on wreck)
Slim chance to restore power to ship wreck to be claimed (minimal health)
---------------

Once Upon a time I did mods in X3, but that was a long time ago. I'm reading through all the guides, but I currently still don't know how to do this.
Looking for guidance. Good starter example and or where to put mods.
Thanks!

nickolaiproblem
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue, 6. Nov 18, 00:12
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by nickolaiproblem » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 23:42

WesternGunman wrote:
Wed, 26. Jun 19, 22:25
I originally posted this in the Steam Workshop until it was suggested that I post it here. I've tweaked the idea from my original post to simplify it.

Does anyone have an idea on how to make a mod to salvage ship and station wrecks?
Here is my idea, I just am not sure how to do it.

New Equipment:
Salvage Drones

New Order:
SRS (Search, Rescue, Salvage) - Similar to collect wares.

Action:
Launches a drone for each wreck in range.

How it works:
Ships wrecks sizes take different amounts of time to salvage. Crew's Engineering skill reduces time and increases salvage rates.
S - 5min
M - 15min
L - 30min
XL - 1hr
Stations - (each component salvage takes twice build time)

Salvage has chance to:
Salvage construction materials (random % (15-80) of build costs of wreck)
Recover Lost Cargo stuck in salvage (free from wreck)
Recover inventory items
Chance to rescue Pilots or Crew.
Chance to retrieve datacores for blueprints (based on wreck)
Slim chance to restore power to ship wreck to be claimed (minimal health)
---------------

Once Upon a time I did mods in X3, but that was a long time ago. I'm reading through all the guides, but I currently still don't know how to do this.
Looking for guidance. Good starter example and or where to put mods.
Thanks!
Try the modding section of egosoft discord for x4 https://discord.gg/2zsWzKQ

It's looks like a cool idea though

swatti
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sun, 7. Dec 03, 13:03
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by swatti » Thu, 27. Jun 19, 15:52

Games in general are quite terribad at wrecks of large vehicles. Biiig explosion to cover a neat swap of "intact" ship to a "similar shaped" large blob or even worse, nothingness.

Ships should break apart and be salvageable from there, unless totally nuked into oblivion they should be re-buildable and better yet, from parts of several ships.

Ship-combat could also be a loooot more "epic" with pieces coming off ships, escape pods flying about and ships blowing up sloooowly.

Sadly this is most likely not very high on the list of priorities for the devs and i both agree and understand.

Buzz2005
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat, 26. Feb 05, 02:47
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 27. Jun 19, 19:44

If anyone does it maybe use repair drones or construction drones just for the effect of salvaging around the wreck :)

EDIT: yea OP mention it :lol:
Fixed credits not being able to claim abandoned ships sometimes getting stuck when boarding operation sometimes getting some owner other than the player builds a station module or surface element.

WesternGunman
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 13. Feb 06, 03:00
x3tc

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by WesternGunman » Thu, 4. Jul 19, 01:58

I'm currently investigating the pieces needed to achieve this with the help of the modding channel.
It is turning out to NOT be a simple thing to do.

Its going to take a number of versions to get all the pieces and parts from my idea.

Buzz2005
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat, 26. Feb 05, 02:47
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 4. Jul 19, 09:12

WesternGunman wrote:
Thu, 4. Jul 19, 01:58
I'm currently investigating the pieces needed to achieve this with the help of the modding channel.
It is turning out to NOT be a simple thing to do.

Its going to take a number of versions to get all the pieces and parts from my idea.
we are all happy to test every version :)
Fixed credits not being able to claim abandoned ships sometimes getting stuck when boarding operation sometimes getting some owner other than the player builds a station module or surface element.

captainradish
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat, 30. Apr 05, 06:09
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by captainradish » Tue, 9. Jul 19, 18:07

It was doable in X:R, so it should be doable here. There was a mod that added a salvage ship that could rebuild and salvage wrecks.

WesternGunman
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 13. Feb 06, 03:00
x3tc

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by WesternGunman » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 21:37

captainradish wrote:
Tue, 9. Jul 19, 18:07
It was doable in X:R, so it should be doable here. There was a mod that added a salvage ship that could rebuild and salvage wrecks.
any idea what it was called? I could possibly use it as a starting point... or possibly inspiration.

Browser_ice
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun, 5. Feb 06, 18:15
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by Browser_ice » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 18:42

I always thought it would be possible just by modifying the way repair drones work.

If they can build, then logically they can un-build and therefore, recycle.

I think it would be easier this way as you are using something already existing in the game. Repair drones would bring back to ship cargo the wares they got from recycling.

Would ennemy NPC attack repair drones?
Steam X-Superbox, XR, playing X4
WIndows-10
Intel I7-3770
16Gb Memory
Nvgidia GTX-1060

captainradish
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat, 30. Apr 05, 06:09
x4

Re: Real Salvage Mod

Post by captainradish » Sat, 20. Jul 19, 18:31

WesternGunman wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 21:37
captainradish wrote:
Tue, 9. Jul 19, 18:07
It was doable in X:R, so it should be doable here. There was a mod that added a salvage ship that could rebuild and salvage wrecks.
any idea what it was called? I could possibly use it as a starting point... or possibly inspiration.
Two of Marvin Martians ships could restore ships from dead hulks (viewtopic.php?t=384253).

Post Reply

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”