Any tutorial for supply ship / carrier resupply? - Improvements in a future build

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Any tutorial for supply ship / carrier resupply? - Improvements in a future build

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 30. May 19, 19:18

Also - does carrier resupply work on all ships docked on carrier (e.g. non-subordinate), or those ships need to be subordinates?

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Any tutorial for supply ship / carrier resupply?

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 30. May 19, 21:21

Am I missing something?
It might be wrong impresion, but I think that with 3 hull parts I can repair jack shit (and only the small one):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1756284110

Carriers are even worse with only 1 hull part storage.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 31. May 19, 02:35

s/m ships don't require hull parts or anything to repair. I don't know about capital ships.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 31. May 19, 02:52

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 30. May 19, 21:21
Am I missing something?
It might be wrong impresion, but I think that with 3 hull parts I can repair jack shit (and only the small one):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1756284110

Carriers are even worse with only 1 hull part storage.
Repairing uses no wares as it is entirely free. The Hull Parts are only used for deployables.

copperzinc
x4

Post by copperzinc » Fri, 31. May 19, 03:54

The tutorial is in the usual tutorial "?" menu in-game.

I haven't tried the tutorial though. I saw it up there in beta.

It's really pretty simple. You can assign a supply ship subordinate to a fleet. You transfer ware to the supply ship all the stuff it needs for resupply. You can also manually repair/resupply a single ship by selecting the ship and right click supply ship and click "resupply/repair" and that gives you a menu for you to reconfigure and repair like you would in a shipyard.

photomankc

Post by photomankc » Fri, 31. May 19, 21:06

copperzinc wrote:
Fri, 31. May 19, 03:54
The tutorial is in the usual tutorial "?" menu in-game.

I haven't tried the tutorial though. I saw it up there in beta.

It's really pretty simple. You can assign a supply ship subordinate to a fleet. You transfer ware to the supply ship all the stuff it needs for resupply. You can also manually repair/resupply a single ship by selecting the ship and right click supply ship and click "resupply/repair" and that gives you a menu for you to reconfigure and repair like you would in a shipyard.

There are some other weird things I have noticed though when assigned to a fleet. Some of my L ships just auto-generate orders to equip/repair at the supply ship and go running off to wherever it is and then seem to just get stuck in space once there. While they are headed there you can't cancel the order, or you can but it will just auto-generate again and keep running away. Seems tough to have supplies for much other than small stuff too. 150 missiles need 1500 missile components so if you want to resupply anything that holds a good number of missiles you can't hold the material for much else.

I can't make out what the command to get supplies does either? Seems like it should try to obtain the materials needed to build what is trying to upgrade/repair but so far that has not been doing much of anything.

I'll try the tutorial and see if it sheds any light on this.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 31. May 19, 22:02

I can't make out what the command to get supplies does either? - Get a ship that's out of a fleet and tell it to get supplies. It will generate a set list of wares to buy. The purchasing list and quantities seem fixed and the list doesn't adapt to what's in the cargo hold so you end up filling up on certain wares that are bought first. Unless this has been changed since beta.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Tue, 4. Jun 19, 18:21

burger1 wrote:
Fri, 31. May 19, 22:02
and the list doesn't adapt to what's in the cargo hold so you end up filling up on certain wares that are bought first.
Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. Fix should be in a post-2.50 update.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: Any tutorial for supply ship / carrier resupply? - Improvements in a future build

Post by Tamina » Wed, 12. Jun 19, 20:36

Have you figured out how they work? I don't get it. I put a resupply ship as a subordinate to my missile destroyer and attacked an K but how do I get the resupply ship to resupply the rockets, now? It has the resupply icon but has no buy orders and when I click on the "Get Supplies" button - the tutorial told me the ship would leave the fleet, get the needed supplies and then rejoin the fleet - nothing happens. When I order my destroyer to manually repair/resupply stuff at the resupply ship, I don't get the option to restock missiles as well.

Also the settings for resupply are just "low/medium/high". Shouldn't it be just "Yes"?
I am extremly confused in every possible way. I was hoping to get an automatic missile fleet on the long run.

:?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Lazerath
x4

Re: Any tutorial for supply ship / carrier resupply? - Improvements in a future build

Post by Lazerath » Thu, 13. Jun 19, 13:07

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 12. Jun 19, 20:36
Have you figured out how they work? I don't get it. I put a resupply ship as a subordinate to my missile destroyer and attacked an K but how do I get the resupply ship to resupply the rockets, now? It has the resupply icon but has no buy orders and when I click on the "Get Supplies" button - the tutorial told me the ship would leave the fleet, get the needed supplies and then rejoin the fleet - nothing happens. When I order my destroyer to manually repair/resupply stuff at the resupply ship, I don't get the option to restock missiles as well.

Also the settings for resupply are just "low/medium/high". Shouldn't it be just "Yes"?
I am extremly confused in every possible way. I was hoping to get an automatic missile fleet on the long run.

I am confused with this as well. No answer in the manual, wiki or Encyclopedia so hopefully a dev or someone who knows the code can explain it.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 30. Aug 19, 21:03

Lazerath wrote:
Thu, 13. Jun 19, 13:07
Tamina wrote:
Wed, 12. Jun 19, 20:36

I am confused with this as well. No answer in the manual, wiki or Encyclopedia so hopefully a dev or someone who knows the code can explain it.

Cheers!
I have just bought a Nomad for the obvious reason of resupplying my bombers and destroyers with missiles. I was also wondering what Get Supplies does, what it buys etc. Can't specify this? And also what does low/medium/high mean? Confused on how this works and reluctant to press buttons until I know.

Any further explanation of this? Tutorial in text form for example?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 30. Aug 19, 21:09

Gregorovitch wrote:
Fri, 30. Aug 19, 21:03
Any further explanation of this? Tutorial in text form for example?
There is the X4 manual which has a page about supply ships (carriers & supply ship class)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 30. Aug 19, 21:18

Thanks - I just found it from a link to that manual page on another old thread actually. Thank God it's there. It has quite a lot of info in it and it seems that although this is not at all obvious the resupply ships can actually do a lot.

Wonsz
x4

Post by Wonsz » Sun, 1. Sep 19, 11:34

I've read manual carefully. Twice. I set everything according to what I read - in global orders section (I tried every option - low, medium, high) and, when it did not work, manually for each ship I wanted to test. I set bunch of fighters as a subordinates of a carrier and went to fight. During fight fighters started reporting "out of ammo", I ignored that. After fight I checked - not any one of them resupplied. I have 2 carriers in my fleet, both carriers have supplies in storage. I can see that all my fighters are 100% health after heavy fight, so I suppose they went to repair as they should. But none of them resupplied, carrier didn't lose a single cargo unit. Am I missing something? Is there anything I should or shouldn't do to see my fighters restock ammunition?

PS
I made some tests. I ordered an empty fighter to attack and watched it's order queue. When it got in range, "attack" order was replaced with 1) "flee" 2) restock and resupply. After few seconds (probably when fighter finished fleeing both orders disappeared - flee first, R&R moment later. The same happens with R&R order if I manually cancel "flee".
If I order to get some ammo when pilot asks me what to do, fighter goes to the nearest eq dock, ignoring carriers that are much closer to it.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 1. Sep 19, 21:55

Wonsz wrote:
Sun, 1. Sep 19, 11:34
After fight I checked - not any one of them resupplied.

---------------

I made some tests. I ordered an empty fighter to attack and watched it's order queue. When it got in range, "attack" order was replaced with 1) "flee" 2) restock and resupply. After few seconds (probably when fighter finished fleeing both orders disappeared - flee first, R&R moment later. The same happens with R&R order if I manually cancel "flee".
If I order to get some ammo when pilot asks me what to do, fighter goes to the nearest eq dock, ignoring carriers that are much closer to it.
Thanks for these reports. Please could you provide an unmoddified save where a Dev could investigate these issues?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 1. Sep 19, 22:24

Hey this thread is pretty old, there was a recent one talking about some bugs which should be fixed in a future update 2.6. See if any of this applies to you
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=418396

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Wonsz
x4

Post by Wonsz » Sun, 1. Sep 19, 23:40

Tamina wrote:
Sun, 1. Sep 19, 22:24
Hey this thread is pretty old, there was a recent one talking about some bugs which should be fixed in a future update 2.6. See if any of this applies to you
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=418396
Thanks, didn't see it. Indeed, looks similiar to what I have - supply ships don't work as they should, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't ;) I hope incoming patch will fix my issue.
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Sun, 1. Sep 19, 21:55
Thanks for these reports. Please could you provide an unmoddified save where a Dev could investigate these issues?
Frankly, I'm not sure ;) I started game with a bunch of mods and I'm still using them. If I turn off all the mods, load game (assuming I can do this with my set of mods), save and upload - will it be of any use?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 2. Sep 19, 00:26

Generally not as mods can in principle permanently break things in saves (correspondingly Devs don't like to prioritise their time on modded games because they can potentially waste hours chasing mod issues). What I would suggest is that you keep a copy of your save somewhere just in case a Dev wants to look, please.

Wonsz
x4

Post by Wonsz » Mon, 2. Sep 19, 00:53

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Mon, 2. Sep 19, 00:26
Generally not as mods can in principle permanently break things in saves (correspondingly Devs don't like to prioritise their time on modded games because they can potentially waste hours chasing mod issues). What I would suggest is that you keep a copy of your save somewhere just in case a Dev wants to look, please.
No problem, please contact me if save is needed. However, from what I read, my problem doesn't look like unique one, I believe that other users can supply enough data to fix it.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Mon, 2. Sep 19, 08:15

Wonsz wrote:
Sun, 1. Sep 19, 11:34
After few seconds (probably when fighter finished fleeing both orders disappeared - flee first, R&R moment later. The same happens with R&R order if I manually cancel "flee".
With these details, no need for a save if the issue is reliably reproducible. Thanks for taking the time to make this observation and mentioning it here.

Return to “X4: Foundations”